Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Why isn't the 2009 wolfenstein on steam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Epic Hamcat posted:

Why isn't the 2009 wolfenstein on steam?
It was developed by an Activision-owned studio (Raven) while Id were working with Activision, so I guess the rights for it are kind of hairy.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
It'll probably end up like Quake 4 and Bethesda will re-release the game again. In like three or four years I guess.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
All I remember about Wolf on Steam was that it was $40 for an inexplicable amount of time, despite it not really being any sort of runaway hit. You could get it on Amazon for like $9.99 and it was still $40 on Steam.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Yeah, the $40 price tag was puzzling but it was quite a fun game despite the mediocre reviews. Good gameplay with juggling firearms and powers and a fun hub-based mission system to supplement the upgrade system.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
Wolf 2009 is an alright game and worth checking out if you can get it on the cheap from another retailer.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, I got it for $5 or $10 or something, and I thought it was well worth the price.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Fag Boy Jim posted:

All I remember about Wolf on Steam was that it was $40 for an inexplicable amount of time, despite it not really being any sort of runaway hit. You could get it on Amazon for like $9.99 and it was still $40 on Steam.

Wolf 2009 was so forgettable that even Valve forgot about it and just left it at retail price.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Fag Boy Jim posted:

That's because Activision absolutely refuses to drop the prices on any of their games, ever. Even in the massive sales, if you're lucky their most recent $60 game might go on sale for 50%, but other than that you'll probably get 25% on a $50 game that's several years old by this point, at most. Activision is loving terrible with prices.

But anyway, (noting that I love the Wolfenstein series) Wolfenstein 2009 was pretty great. Lots of fun to be had there. I hope they give a release date for The New Order tomorrow, that's my most anticipated game of the year. I like the sound of the health system, too.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of Quakecon you (yes YOU) should be watching the quake duel tournament stream going on now because it's awesome and more people need to watch this (especially YOU): http://www.twitch.tv/quakecon

Also they're having a 20th anniversary Doom challenge, that's going to be most of what's streaming tomorrow, and that's awesome.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

proof of concept posted:

Speaking of Quakecon you (yes YOU) should be watching the quake duel tournament stream going on now because it's awesome and more people need to watch this (especially YOU): http://www.twitch.tv/quakecon

Also they're having a 20th anniversary Doom challenge, that's going to be most of what's streaming tomorrow, and that's awesome.

Thanks for reminding me, Carmack's keynote is today. :neckbeard:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Segmentation Fault posted:

Wolf 2009 was so forgettable that even Valve forgot about it and just left it at retail price.

You lie, Wolf 2009 was fun as hell.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Will they play any Quake besides QL?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

You lie, Wolf 2009 was fun as hell.

drat right, the Particle Cannon was a loving work of art. Raven deserved so much better than an eternity making COD map packs :(

catlord posted:

But anyway, (noting that I love the Wolfenstein series) Wolfenstein 2009 was pretty great. Lots of fun to be had there. I hope they give a release date for The New Order tomorrow, that's my most anticipated game of the year. I like the sound of the health system, too.

Uh... bad news about that one.

quote:

First-person Nazi-shooting romp, Wolfenstein: The New Order, has been delayed until next year, Bethesda has announced.

Previously it was set for Q4 2013 on Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4, PS3 and PC.

"We have confirmed today at QuakeCon that Wolfenstein will ship next year, all platforms," said Bethesda VP of PR and marketing Pete Hines on Twitter. "Felt it deserved some additional time for polish," he added.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-01-wolfenstein-the-new-order-delayed-until-2014

Convex fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 1, 2013

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Raven should just leave Activision and be ID bros again. With ID's tech and Raven's fun shooting we could enjoy fun games but they're now a DLC team :(

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Noooo... :(

Guillermus posted:

Raven should just leave Activision and be ID bros again. With ID's tech and Raven's fun shooting we could enjoy fun games but they're now a DLC team :(

I absolutely agree.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I've never played Wolfenstein '09 (I was under the impression it was trash :(), but I'll be sure to check it out if I can find it for cheap.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein is on Steam for change. How was that game? I played the living poo poo out of Enemy Territory (granted, it was a stand-alone game and free), but never the single player campaign.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

I've never played Wolfenstein '09 (I was under the impression it was trash :(), but I'll be sure to check it out if I can find it for cheap.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein is on Steam for change. How was that game? I played the living poo poo out of Enemy Territory (granted, it was a stand-alone game and free), but never the single player campaign.

It holds up pretty well. The only real problem the game has is a terrible stealth mission after you beat the second chapter, but that can be skipped with cheats.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Now that I think about it, that stealth mission originally dissuaded me from completing the game, because otherwise it's really good. I ought to go back and actually finish it this time around.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

The stealth mission mentioned is really loving terrible, but the game is one of my favourites.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Well there goes another coffee, then!

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

jerkstoresup posted:

Will they play any Quake besides QL?

I don't understand this attitude

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

proof of concept posted:

I think it's just a desire to see more variety, but honestly no one is playing competitive Quake outside of QL. At most I think there are a few Quake TF teams still kicking about.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Yeah Echoing the sentiment about the first stealth mission, it's really terrible. The game is pretty fantastic apart from that, it's a shame it probably put people off of the rest of the game.

The later stealth mission where you have to assasinate the high-ranking Nazi officers was pretty drat great though. You crept through a quiet village at night and all of the targets were doing something rather than just waiting there.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

proof of concept posted:

Was just curious, but I prefer the faster pace of QW/CPMA to Quake Live is all. I know both scenes are dead competitively but it'd be neat to see a throwback tournament every now and then. What better place than Quakecon?

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The level of interest in FPS duel games has to be significantly higher overall before you start pulling everyone's attention in a million different directions at the biggest event left for them. Though I think vo0 and some other guys are going to stream a small cpma tournament after quakecon is over.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Guillermus posted:

If Activision wasn't there after Singularity, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and Wolfenstein all failed, the studio would be closed instead of layoffs, no question.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Did Carmack reveal anything interesting in his keynote today? I'm not in the right head-space to listen to him for very long at the moment.

Reive
May 21, 2009

jerkstoresup posted:

Did Carmack reveal anything interesting in his keynote today? I'm not in the right head-space to listen to him for very long at the moment.

Watching the archive now, I'll take note of anything newsworthy if it hasn't already been covered.

Anyway, question about ECwolf, is the sound really glitchy for anyone else? it's all skippy and crackly.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Took the Quakecon sale as an opportunity to pick up Spear of Destiny, the only Wolfenstein game (besides the very first two, RPG and the console ports) I was missing. drat you Bethesda for making me wait longer for The New Order! Dropped the files into ECWolf (I don't have that problem with sound, by the way, sorry Reive) and it runs nice. Little disappointed it doesn't have a fancier launcher like GZDoom, but it's effective. Didn't realise that Spear of Destiny had new weapon sprites.

Also picked up Commander Keen. Not directly related, but I thought it worth mentioning.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

If Activision wasn't there after Singularity, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and Wolfenstein all failed, the studio would be closed instead of layoffs, no question.

I wouldn't blame Raven. They've made good Games but they never got enough resources and marketing because Activision was already milking the cod franchise, leaving raven games as 2nd line products.

Edit: gently caress android autocorrection.

mr_woo
Aug 2, 2013
I'm still incredibly pissed at Activision for not letting Raven make Soldier Of Fortune 3. Instead, we got that 'thing' one of their cheaper value studios produced. My heart still weeps to this day :(

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I was looking at the quakecon sale and noticed that all of my Quake had no Doom or Heretic/Hexen in my Steam library. I own about 10 copies of Doom scattered throughout my life (including the best purchase I ever made "the id anthology" which was essentially all of their games Quake 3 and prior) but haven't been able to find my copies of Hexen or Heretic for years. I figured I would remedy this and for the cheap price of ~$6 I bought some of the best games there are to offer! I can't wait to go back and try to play through Hexen on a higher difficulty since I remember that game was brutal.

I am a little disappointed that no new Quake has been introduced. After the success of Quake Live and Quake being the best game ever made I really dream of a day where we get a proper multiplayer sequel to Q3 or a single player as good as Quake 1/2. Is there any hope of any announcement this weekend?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

mr_woo posted:

I'm still incredibly pissed at Activision for not letting Raven make Soldier Of Fortune 3. Instead, we got that 'thing' one of their cheaper value studios produced. My heart still weeps to this day :(

I'm actually really surprised that, with the popularity of "super-special-forces operator" military FPS games in recent years and IP reboots, we haven't seen a SoF 3...except for, yeah, that lovely "Payback" game, which was an unbearable mess. I realize that Activision is the publisher of COD and why would they push out conceptually identical games but, come on, why wouldn't they?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Meowbot posted:

After the success of Quake Live
I'm pretty sure Quake Live wasn't especially successful at all. I know the original ad-supported version was a dismal financial failure, not sure how the subscription version's gone.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

The Kins posted:

I'm pretty sure Quake Live wasn't especially successful at all. I know the original ad-supported version was a dismal financial failure, not sure how the subscription version's gone.

I remember there was a decent size following for the competitive players a few years back. I haven't followed it. Well, it still goes to stand that Q3A was the best multiplayer game we've been graced with by the video game gods. The only game I would put anywhere near Quake 3 would be Unreal Tournament but even then there isn't anything anywhere near as good as games like that today.

mr_woo
Aug 2, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm actually really surprised that, with the popularity of "super-special-forces operator" military FPS games in recent years and IP reboots, we haven't seen a SoF 3...except for, yeah, that lovely "Payback" game, which was an unbearable mess. I realize that Activision is the publisher of COD and why would they push out conceptually identical games but, come on, why wouldn't they?

Activision don't really like taking risks. Why bother when you can just make more DLC map packs or getting another studio in to make more COD games ?

I'll be honest here, I never understood why Treyarch became the next 'big' team after Infinity Ward. Raven (and Monolith) are one of my favourite developers (or were I guess in their old form) and they consistently made good games which I absolutely loved playing, I always thought they were a much more talented studio and I would have loved to see them get to do a COD game on their own. They weren't perfect but drat if I don't love their games up to and including Wolf 09, Wolverine and Singularity. Bah I've now depressed myself *goes to replay Wolf 09*

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'll be happy if we ever get SOF1 and 2 on GOG. SoF2 had a random mission mode and was enough to keep me busy for dozens of hours.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Meowbot posted:

I am a little disappointed that no new Quake has been introduced. After the success of Quake Live and Quake being the best game ever made I really dream of a day where we get a proper multiplayer sequel to Q3 or a single player as good as Quake 1/2. Is there any hope of any announcement this weekend?

The best hope for arena shooters is probably 2gd's project, Reborn. I am hoping that breathes some life back into the genre because it is slowly dying out and that makes me sad, but who knows? At least he said right from the start that he realizes good maps are really important to the overall quality of an fps which is something surprisingly few people seem to understand. He also understands that for a game to get a big following it has to be fun for new players as well as pros AND needs to be fun for people to watch, which is more than you can say for the shootmania devs.

proof of concept fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Aug 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

catlord posted:

Took the Quakecon sale as an opportunity to pick up Spear of Destiny, the only Wolfenstein game (besides the very first two, RPG and the console ports) I was missing. drat you Bethesda for making me wait longer for The New Order! Dropped the files into ECWolf (I don't have that problem with sound, by the way, sorry Reive) and it runs nice. Little disappointed it doesn't have a fancier launcher like GZDoom, but it's effective. Didn't realise that Spear of Destiny had new weapon sprites.

The version of SOD on Steam is the "complete" version with both FormGen mission packs ("Return to Danger" and "The Ultimate Challenge", sometimes called "Lost Episodes" by Wolf fans for some reason). Now FormGen made these mission packs a sort of TC, with new textures, sprites, and voice actings. There was a bundle of the three (normal SOD, RTD, TUC) with a nifty little menu system which worked in this way: the game runs using the .sod data files. SOD itself has a copy of those in the .sd1 data files, RTD and TUC have .sd2 and .sd3 data files. The mission chooser will overwrite the .sod files by copying the chosen data files over them (.sd1, .sd2, or .sd3).

Now let's get to the Valve-or-Id guy who packaged it to Steam. He tests that they all work. Spear of Destiny? (SOD = SD1) check. RTD? (SOD = SD2) check. TUC? (SOD=SD3) check. Everything works, let's upload! And that's how the .sod files in the Steam distribution correspond, by default, to a FormGen addon rather than to the original game.

Now ECWolf does not need to rename stuff, but it'll use .sod for SOD, .sd2 for RTD, and .sd3 for TUC. That means that with a default Steam install, you'll be unable to run the original Spear of Destiny, unless you either start SOD through Steam and use the interface to specifically choose SOD, or replace the files manually. It could have made more sense to have ECWolf use the .sd1 files but then you'd have to hack in a fallback system to use .sod if .sd1 files are not found (for old copies of SOD without the mission packs).

Meowbot posted:

Carmack and some other Id guys were publically musing some times ago about rebooting the original Quake game, and its weird mishmashed universe of slipgates and lovecraftian horrors. Though this was before Zenimax/Bethesda gave them a wake-up kick in the butt and told them to focus on making Doom 4 not a lovely game, even if they have to stop Rage 2 and other sideprojects to do so.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

There are so many COD spinoffs that they could perfectly market it as Call of Duty: Soldier of Fortune and people would just lap it up.

mr_woo posted:

I'll be honest here, I never understood why Treyarch became the next 'big' team after Infinity Ward. Raven (and Monolith) are one of my favourite developers (or were I guess in their old form) and they consistently made good games which I absolutely loved playing, I always thought they were a much more talented studio and I would have loved to see them get to do a COD game on their own. They weren't perfect but drat if I don't love their games up to and including Wolf 09, Wolverine and Singularity. Bah I've now depressed myself *goes to replay Wolf 09*

Raven lost half its soul when Activision bought them and half of the team decided to go off and create Humanhead Studio so as to stay relatively free.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Aug 2, 2013