Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mister Adequate posted:

I'd assume not because it'd be tricky to get right, but will the AI sometimes go for provinces they have little use for but their enemy really likes, specifically to sell them back for a tidy profit?
Wouldn't it be simpler to just have ducat demands separated from current wealth?* Thus allowing a peace deal to put the enemy in the negative, which forces them to take loans, instead of having to be limited to whatever cash they have left. That really is a silly thing, where long wars that drains the coffers leads to not being able to get reparations, while a short one might allow you to just rob the hell out of your neighbors. It also means asking for money becomes a more viable way to cripple your enemy, instead of feeling like you have to take territory to make them hurt.

*It could be limited to some factor of your early income instead. Yearly income with the negative effects of war subtracted of course.

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

I don't quite get why they did this, though. Isn't Constantinople pretty much guaranteed to fall in the first 20 minutes or so of gameplay? Even historically, the Byzantine capital only managed to hold out until 1453, 9 years after the game begins. Unless of course there's some event in Purple Phoenix that helps them be more than just a punching bag for the Ottomans.
It's because Paradox forum users rub themselves raw each night thinking about the Byzantine Empire Eastern Roman Empire Basileia Rhōmaiōn. That said, it would be funny as hell if those events were designed to make for a more realistic (yet still dynamic) conquest of Constantinople by the Ottomans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Wouldn't it be simpler to just have ducat demands separated from current wealth?* Thus allowing a peace deal to put the enemy in the negative, which forces them to take loans, instead of having to be limited to whatever cash they have left. That really is a silly thing, where long wars that drains the coffers leads to not being able to get reparations, while a short one might allow you to just rob the hell out of your neighbors. It also means asking for money becomes a more viable way to cripple your enemy, instead of feeling like you have to take territory to make them hurt.

*It could be limited to some factor of your yearly income instead. Yearly income with the negative effects of war subtracted of course.

Being put into crippling debt in the years after a defeat is very realistic, but I'm not sure how fun it would be to play through.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
That's a bit unfair. Sure there are a few people with an unhealthy love for them, but quite a lot of people like them because well...they're interesting. They have a rich and interesting history, they have a challenging start with very clearly defined goals and paths to greatness, they are very much an underdog, and honestly they are usually a pretty drat fun game. Sure it tends to get overblown, but it hardly makes you stupid to like them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Wiz posted:

Mostly the AI just won't take useless provinces in the first place.

This alone would be worth EU4 existing. Thank you ever so much.

Now I just need someone to confirm that the Ottomans will actually prioritize taking Constantinople.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

All I want is one screenshot where the AI is showing a 'pretty borders' modifier for choosing one province over another.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's because Paradox forum users rub themselves raw each night thinking about the Byzantine Empire Eastern Roman Empire Basileia Rhōmaiōn. That said, it would be funny as hell if those events were designed to make for a more realistic (yet still dynamic) conquest of Constantinople by the Ottomans.
That would be brilliant, a event that forces you to beg and cry for help from the papacy and events that force you to give gold to the Ottoman sultan to prevent invasions. :allears:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
And then an event that gives you a CB on all territories belonging the Roman Empire :allears:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PleasingFungus posted:

Being put into crippling debt in the years after a defeat is very realistic, but I'm not sure how fun it would be to play through.
If the alternative is losing your territory though? There are also degrees of crippling debt, so that's something that could be balanced.

Zeron posted:

That's a bit unfair. Sure there are a few people with an unhealthy love for them, but quite a lot of people like them because well...they're interesting. They have a rich and interesting history, they have a challenging start with very clearly defined goals and paths to greatness, they are very much an underdog, and honestly they are usually a pretty drat fun game. Sure it tends to get overblown, but it hardly makes you stupid to like them.
I'm not saying it makes you stupid for liking them, hell, I've played quite a few games with various Ottoman neighbors trying to beat up the Turkish menace. I just don't think the historical Byzantium really deserves that much devotion, especially not the lovely remnant we're left with in 1444. By that point, the Ottomans were basically just waiting to put them out of their misery, not conquering a great empire against the odds.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

quote:

Quote Originally Posted by Balor
If you are among the small minority that bought ck2 at gg and have dlc there, you need to order eu4 from gg. There is no other technical solution.. ( still pissed at the amount of problems relating to the forum petition for a non-steam ck2)

:siren: It sounds like if you have CK2 specifically from Gamersgate, you'll need to preorder EU4 from GG as well in order to have the included preorder CK2-EU4 converter work with your GG copy of CK2.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

Aside from the occasional interesting conversation with Darkrenown in this thread about HOI3, I'm really not sure what I'd do to correct all those errors for HOI4. I guess it helps that there's literally no competition for this sort of game.

Just port HOI2 (or Darkest Hour, whatever) to the Clausewitz engine and I'd buy it.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Kersch posted:

:siren: It sounds like if you have CK2 specifically from Gamersgate, you'll need to preorder EU4 from GG as well in order to have the included preorder CK2-EU4 converter work with your GG copy of CK2.

I thought that they were going steam only with eu4 what with the multiplayer being handled by steam

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Rumda posted:

I thought that they were going steam only with eu4 what with the multiplayer being handled by steam

Yes, if you order from GG, you get the Steam code for EU4. What Johan is saying is that the only way to get the GG-exclusive CK2's savegame converter, you need to have pre-ordered EU4 from GG as well (it's the only way for GG to know to give you the converter, I'm assuming).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rumda posted:

CK2 was the last release that still had a non-Steam version.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Yeah, the converter is essentially a CK2 product, and there are 2 versions of CK2: The GG one and every other (Steam) one. If you preorder EU4 from GG, you get the preorder CK2 converter which works with the GG CK2. If you get it from anywhere else, you get the CK2 converter which works with the steam version of CK2. In either case, the copy of EU4 is the same.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

CK2 was the last release that still had a non-Steam version.

I chose... poorly.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Kersch posted:

Yeah, the converter is essentially a CK2 product, and there are 2 versions of CK2: The GG one and every other (Steam) one. If you preorder EU4 from GG, you get the preorder CK2 converter which works with the GG CK2. If you get it from anywhere else, you get the CK2 converter which works with the steam version.

Johan is right to be pissed, the GG-exclusive CK2 is causing a shitton of problems for them, all because some users are terrified of STEAM DRM!!111

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

I chose... poorly.

I just re-bought everything on Steam - except I think for Their Finest Hour because it still hasn't gone on maximum sale potential since I started migrating.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Beamed posted:

Johan is right to be pissed, the GG-exclusive CK2 is causing a shitton of problems for them, all because some users are terrified of STEAM DRM!!111

And some people didn't really know any better at the time and bought it out of habit :smith:. Glad the final product's still going to be Steam, though.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Kavak posted:

And some people didn't really know any better at the time and bought it out of habit :smith:. Glad the final product's still going to be Steam, though.

Me too, but I pre-ordered EU4 on GG anyway for the delicious 15% discount + Blue Coins. :)

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Beamed posted:

It's not even that we have to deal with two versions, it's that one of the versions has like 4% of the users :qq:

Oh well, it was a learning experience I suppose.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 1, 2013

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

DrProsek posted:

"Married to possessed hunchback cousin, I want to sever, but I conquered Rome, and now the Pope won't grant me any divorce requests!"

Kill the Pope, then yourself.

(Sorry was from a couple pages back, but couldn't resist.)

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The only game I owned on GG was V2 and I rebought it on steam awhile back just so I didn't have to deal with GG anymore.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Has there been any word on whether the list of lucky nations is still restricted to Europe?

*e*

uPen posted:

The only game I owned on GG was V2 and I rebought it on steam awhile back just so I didn't have to deal with GG anymore.
I did this with the Amazon version, which was also non-Steam. Amazon's Heart of Darkness was Steam while everything else Vicky 2 they sold was non-Steam, so I just said gently caress it and bought it all again on Steam. Ugh. I'm open to the idea that defaulting to an industry monopoly is a bad idea, but Steam's competitors need to make this poo poo less of a hassle.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 1, 2013

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I'm curious how the lucky nation bonuses compare to the handicap bonuses.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kersch posted:

Damnit. I wonder if the DLC is cheap enough to just say screw it and get a Steam CK2 copy, since I haven't bought old gods or the republic yet.

EDIT: and since I already pre-ordered EU4 through Steam.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 1, 2013

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Can anyone give me a pretty brief rundown on what "Project Balance" is like for CK2? I've played with CK2+ on since right around Sword of Islam, and found it good enough to never really try anything else. I've seen PB highly recommended in some other places lately, but I don't entirely trust everything those places say. So if anyone has any experience, how is it? How does it compare to the CK2+ I'm so used to? If it's actually a pretty sound mod I guess it'd be good to make the switch since I'll inevitably have to switch to something whenever the next DLC comes out anyways.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

ulmont posted:

Damnit. I wonder if the DLC is cheap enough to just say screw it and get a Steam CK2 copy, since I haven't bought old gods or the republic yet.

If you have literally all of the CK2 dlc on GG, it'd probably be cheaper to separately buy the CK2 converter on GG than to repurchase all of the CK2 DLC on steam.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

ulmont posted:

You can cancel the pre-order pretty seamlessly I think.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Uhg I have all my paradox games on GG, if I just keep buying from GG I'm fine right?

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

Ruder posted:

Can anyone give me a pretty brief rundown on what "Project Balance" is like for CK2? I've played with CK2+ on since right around Sword of Islam, and found it good enough to never really try anything else. I've seen PB highly recommended in some other places lately, but I don't entirely trust everything those places say. So if anyone has any experience, how is it? How does it compare to the CK2+ I'm so used to? If it's actually a pretty sound mod I guess it'd be good to make the switch since I'll inevitably have to switch to something whenever the next DLC comes out anyways.

It, well, balances the game in a lot of ways. I'm someone who tried CK2+ but enjoyed PB more - particularly with the SWMH mod which its fully compatible with. It basically balances out things you'd expect like: Tighter CBs, with Holy Wars having cooldowns, traits defining if you can steal your brothers land or not (note: you cant if you're just); balanced retinues; and blob-prevention by a-historical HRE's. It's currently on its 101st update (with 2 already this patch) and looks likely to continue to be regularly updated - which is in contrast to CK2+, which Wiz won't be continuing. Try it with SMWH and VIET events mod and you can't really go wrong.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Uhg I have all my paradox games on GG, if I just keep buying from GG I'm fine right?

You can but it'll be all steam codes for anything not CK2 (i.e. CK2 DLC will be gamers gate) from here on out.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Wiz posted:

Mostly the AI just won't take useless provinces in the first place.

We'll still see periodic wars of unwarranted conquest though, right? Like, maybe we'll sometimes see France try to conquer all of Spain? I'm all for pretty borders and the AI devaluing certain provinces, but I'd still like it if they tried to be aggressive assholes at times. Sometimes you need a bully or a total rear end in a top hat to spice up the diplomatic scene a little.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

RagnarokAngel posted:

You can but it'll be all steam codes for anything not CK2 (i.e. CK2 DLC will be gamers gate) from here on out.

So what exactly is going on? Paradox is ditching GG for all future releases? If I get EU4 on GG so that I can get the converter it means all future eu4 DLC I won't be able to buy?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
What I really want to know is whether Africa will still be the heart of darkness or not!

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

So what exactly is going on? Paradox is ditching GG for all future releases? If I get EU4 on GG so that I can get the converter it means all future eu4 DLC I won't be able to buy?

Incorrect. All retailers you could purchase from you still can, but they'll give you Steam codes to activate on Steam. This includes all DLC, etc. So you don't have to worry about compatibility anymore. The only thing this means for you effectively is that you should buy EU4 on GG, to ensure that the converter you get will work with your CK2 on GG.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm not entirely clear on why a save game converter would need two different versions, wouldn't the save games themselves be the same?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm not entirely clear on why a save game converter would need two different versions, wouldn't the save games themselves be the same?

Probably the way it exports the save game as a mod.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's literally treated as CK2 dlc. So like any other DLC the steam version requires steam DLC and GG requires GG DLC.

EU4 removes that problem by just going all steam but for now they're stuck with the dual versions they created.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

It means all titles after CK2 are steamworks, which means no matter where you buy it you activate the key through steam and download it that way. If you buy EUIV on GG it's effectively the same as buying it on steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Beamed posted:

Me too, but I pre-ordered EU4 on GG anyway for the delicious 15% discount + Blue Coins. :)
Steam Trading cards pretty much negates the GG blue coins, and actually gets you more money possibly.

quote:

Probably the way it exports the save game as a mod.
It should probably work in most cases except for the Sunset Invasion, which you need activated for that to work.

• Locked thread