Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

axeil posted:

It's a really different Europe. I also enabled Sunset Invasion so I'm curious if the Norse and/or French/German alliance can stop the Aztecs. Only 100 more years till they show up :allears:
Aztecs only get huge amounts of light infantry. They should be crushed swiftly unless something goes horribly wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

axeil posted:

This is absolutely true. In my game that I started as the Magyars it is 1100 and France and Germany are monster unified states that are way stronger than they were in OTL. They are also the same dynasty and allied to each other. The Norse have all of the British Isles and Scandinavia and my Hungary/the Carpathian Empire controls all of Eastern Europe save for Lithuania and Croatia/Serbia/Greece. The Byzantine Empire is slowly getting gobbled up by the Muslims and Carpathians and Spain is fully Muslim as well. Orthodox Christianity is almost entirely extinct, it only exists in Greece and small parts of Anatolia at this point.

It's a really different Europe. I also enabled Sunset Invasion so I'm curious if the Norse and/or French/German alliance can stop the Aztecs. Only 100 more years till they show up :allears:

The Old Gods start date is a bit more volatile, but people are making out like 1266 in their game is just like Europe really was at that time. Huh? After 200 years in my game the Almoravids rule all of Western Europe or a freak Poland reigns supreme in the steppes. I myself have only played a few games with The Old Gods, but only once did the Karlings manage to form a mega-empire. Religions being extinct was nothing unusual for the 1066 start date as well. I think it is not quite as crazy as people are saying here.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I did have one game where I was playing one of the tiny West African counties with an Old Gods start so I was more or less ignoring the rest of Europe. Then I check the map at around 1100 or so and everything looks disturbingly right - the Muslims had been almost entirely pushed out of Iberia bar a few southern counties, England and Scotland had both formed their respective kingdoms along their de jure lines and were Christian. The HRE had somehow been formed and dominated Central Europe, while West Francia had become France and again was more or less restricted to it's de jure borders. The Norse had been badly beaten and half of Scandinavia was Christian, with the holdouts fighting a losing battle.

I find it really cool that this somehow managed to happen totally organically. Being such an isolated and inconsequential African character, the game was effectively on observe mode (apart from me harassing the North African Muslims every now and then.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

toasterwarrior posted:

Different time means different de jure maps. West Francia and East Francia are basically renamed France and Germany; they'll get those names if the Karlings lose the respective throne.

You pretty much have to start in 1066 if you want to see France and the HRE as they were in real life, since 200 years is plenty of time for things to diverge from what really happened.

I started in East Francia. Around 900-1000AD, I had a event where the Kingdom changed to Germany. I'm sure that France could be formed the same way.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Playing a bit more of my Thomond 867 start.
Finally managed to crank out a Quick son (and promptly murdered his older brother) and managed to get my wife to hate me over the course of a few years. Eventually, she turned 40 and once I buttered the Pope up a bit, he agreed to a divorce. I remarried, to a young greek Genius at which point a couple of Skotland Counts declared revolt and I was able to grab one of them in a quick De Jure claim war.
And then my new wife had a Genius son.

So now, my character is 63, with an 8-year old Quick son and a newborn Genius. I can't switch to Primogeniture because two of my vassals hate me too much to bribe them into happiness and I'm pretty sure I pissed off Skotland when I annexed Dublin from them. First-world problems, man.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Got the Old Gods DLC and I just played around with the regular western European kingdoms and such, to warm-up. After getting my rear end handed to me in a plate repeatedly by Ivar the Boneless as king of Scotland, I think I am ready to play with the Norse juggernaut and give some back.

Any suggested Norse rulers for a good game?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Transmetropolitan posted:

Got the Old Gods DLC and I just played around with the regular western European kingdoms and such, to warm-up. After getting my rear end handed to me in a plate repeatedly by Ivar the Boneless as king of Scotland, I think I am ready to play with the Norse juggernaut and give some back.

For an easy game most of the "historic" rulers the game suggests are what you want. So Ivar in Scotland, Sigurd in Denmark, Harald in Norway and Bjorn in Sweden. Rurik is also possible but a bit more difficult, and you have to get rid of your first son because he already converted to the Slavic faith.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Crossposting for Everyone:

Kersch posted:

:siren: It sounds like if you have CK2 specifically from Gamersgate, you'll need to preorder EU4 from GG as well in order to have the included preorder CK2-EU4 converter work with your GG copy of CK2.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Two easiest are probably Ivar the Boneless in Scotland and Harald Fairhair in Norway. For a hard game there is I think his name is Dyre in eastern Europe somewhere or Erik the Heathen in 1066.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Something unusual happened in my latest Norse game.

It's been a pretty standard game, trending towards world conquest - I stopped actively conquering new areas after getting the area of Britannia, Hispania, Francia, and Scandinavia (and bits of East Francia), but that hasn't stopped my vassals, who've been pushing the borders of Britannia further and further. They were taking bites out of the Byzantine Empire every time there was a rebellion, and eventually even when there wasn't, until suddenly they stopped.

The first Norse Greek 'Har Konungr' of the Byzantine Empire, Ioannes 'The Wise.' Aptly named, I suppose, given what likely would have happened had he not converted. I'm just not quite certain how it happened. It wasn't any scheme of mine, and nobles aren't usually that eager to flee into pagan courts to be converted.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

2 suggestions:

Dyre the Stranger, Norse king of Kiev: Basically everyone is champing at the bit to go to war at the start, so make sure your vassals have positive opinions, and if necessary restart until you get traits that make positive opinions possible. Your larger neighbors to the west, the Lendians, often end up in civil war within a short time after the start, so you can start nabbing their breakaway chieftains with subjugation wars. It looks like Nightmare Mode at first, but with a little patience and some luck it's one of the most fulfilling CK2 experiences I've had.

Haesteinn of Nantes, Chieftain of Nantes: Not sure if he was an actual historical figure, but he's an often overlooked Norse chieftain in Brittany. He starts out with a whopping 500 gold and quite a few special troops, so you are pretty much set to steamroll Brittany in a subjugation war. From there, you can continue your crusade against the Celts by bringing Wales and Ireland under your control, or wait for West Francia to explode (as it often does) and expand eastward.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Beamed posted:

Crossposting for Everyone:

I was under the impression that you needed to order from GG in order to get a free preorder copy of the converter DLC, because the retailer gives those out.

The converter will work with the gamers gate copy, you just need the gamers gate version of the dlc.

you wind up with steam EUIV regardless, but a steam preorder gives you a steam copy of the dlc, not a GG copy.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 1, 2013

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
I've got a bit of a weird scenario in CK2 I'm hoping someone might be able to help with. My ruler (a duke with multiple duchy titles) originally married a childless duchess so that the heir would inherit that duchy. However, they only ever produced one daughter, who inherited when the mother died. I then remarried my ruler to a queen so that my heir would take over the kingdom. They produced tons of kids, including a boy. The game switched my heir to him for all my titles, as well as the heir to that kingdom. However, while playing last night, I got the "you have a new heir" message and it has switched my heir back to the daughter from the first marriage (who is marked as the heir to all my duchy and county titles). The son still says he is heir to my 2nd wife's kingdom, but nothing else. All my titles are agnatic-cognatic primo, why would this have happened? Even weirder, the daughter from the first marriage has a duchy title which is ag-cog primo, and despite having a grown son, her heir is her firstborn daughter. That son does have a castle barony in another kingdom, maybe that's related?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Tormented, what's you avatar from?

bgreman posted:

I've got a bit of a weird scenario in CK2 I'm hoping someone might be able to help with. My ruler (a duke with multiple duchy titles) originally married a childless duchess so that the heir would inherit that duchy. However, they only ever produced one daughter, who inherited when the mother died. I then remarried my ruler to a queen so that my heir would take over the kingdom. They produced tons of kids, including a boy. The game switched my heir to him for all my titles, as well as the heir to that kingdom. However, while playing last night, I got the "you have a new heir" message and it has switched my heir back to the daughter from the first marriage (who is marked as the heir to all my duchy and county titles). The son still says he is heir to my 2nd wife's kingdom, but nothing else. All my titles are agnatic-cognatic primo, why would this have happened? Even weirder, the daughter from the first marriage has a duchy title which is ag-cog primo, and despite having a grown son, her heir is her firstborn daughter. That son does have a castle barony in another kingdom, maybe that's related?

Are you a vassal to a King, and did he just implement a higher level of crown authority?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Reveilled posted:

Are you a vassal to a King, and did he just implement a higher level of crown authority?

This may be the case. This is all in the Game of Thrones mod, so the "kingdom" I'm in is actually beholden to the laws of an empire above it, but my liege's kingdom is currently independent due to the way the mod handles civil wars.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Fintilgin posted:

I was under the impression that you needed to order from GG in order to get a free preorder copy of the converter DLC, because the retailer gives those out.

The converter will work with the gamers gate copy, you just need the gamers gate version of the dlc.

you wind up with steam EUIV regardless, but a steam preorder gives you a steam copy of the dlc, not a GG copy.

Yes, this is what the post says. :confused:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Beamed posted:

Yes, this is what the post says. :confused:

Sorry, I think I misunderstood it as something subtly different. Never mind. :shobon:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The best part of that save converter interview-

quote:

You mentioned that importing a game with the CK2 Sunset Invasion DLC will spawn a huge Aztec Empire in North America.

:getin:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Torrannor posted:

For an easy game most of the "historic" rulers the game suggests are what you want. So Ivar in Scotland, Sigurd in Denmark, Harald in Norway and Bjorn in Sweden. Rurik is also possible but a bit more difficult, and you have to get rid of your first son because he already converted to the Slavic faith.

SpRahl posted:

Two easiest are probably Ivar the Boneless in Scotland and Harald Fairhair in Norway. For a hard game there is I think his name is Dyre in eastern Europe somewhere or Erik the Heathen in 1066.

beefart posted:

2 suggestions:

Dyre the Stranger, Norse king of Kiev: Basically everyone is champing at the bit to go to war at the start, so make sure your vassals have positive opinions, and if necessary restart until you get traits that make positive opinions possible. Your larger neighbors to the west, the Lendians, often end up in civil war within a short time after the start, so you can start nabbing their breakaway chieftains with subjugation wars. It looks like Nightmare Mode at first, but with a little patience and some luck it's one of the most fulfilling CK2 experiences I've had.

Haesteinn of Nantes, Chieftain of Nantes: Not sure if he was an actual historical figure, but he's an often overlooked Norse chieftain in Brittany. He starts out with a whopping 500 gold and quite a few special troops, so you are pretty much set to steamroll Brittany in a subjugation war. From there, you can continue your crusade against the Celts by bringing Wales and Ireland under your control, or wait for West Francia to explode (as it often does) and expand eastward.

Many thanks. :)

Went with Harald, and well, the viking mechanics are just plain awesome hahaha. My main problem right now is managing the default gavelkind, as my heir just got Akershus as her demesne while the rest of the Ostlandet went for her sister and basically crippled my personal levies.

I suppose I can't do much until I reform the Norse faith?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Went with Harald, and well, the viking mechanics are just plain awesome hahaha. My main problem right now is managing the default gavelkind, as my heir just got Akershus as her demesne while the rest of the Ostlandet went for her sister and basically crippled my personal levies.

Conquer a Duchy for each of your spare sons, and give it to them before you die, and your demesne should remain intact.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

skooma512 posted:

Seeing that Norse blob makes me think: Is it even possible to blob up the whole map like a Total War game in CK2?

I'm having enough trouble keeping little Ireland in line. Every shitlord, shitcount, and shitduke wants to have a go. I can't imagine keeping even a quarter of the map without being constantly fighting rebels.s

Not as a Muslim. :shepface:

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Question about technology, do siege tactics and military organization only matter for your capitol provience?

You can do things to game Gavelkind succession, or you can always try to murder their heirs you dont want (you cant plot to kill them but you can pay to have them killed) but yeah you are stuck in Gavelkind unless/until you reform. This is of course completely ahistorical but its really there to mitigate just how easy it is to expand through warfare as an unreformed pagan. Just try to form Norway as quickly as possible that will at least stop your realm from collapsing after every succession, then after that try to snipe Norse Holy sites. The Hardest one to get is the one in Germany/East Francia but if you can keep your moral authority up you only need three.

To be perfectly honest Ive reformed the faith in my game and Im still running with Gavelkind, though purely to make the game a bit more random and interesting for me. Probably gonna switch to elective during this ruler though.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I'm actually a bit confused about holy sites since I just started a Norse game.
Do you have to conquer the county its in, or is there a diplomatic way to control them?
There's no CB for declaring a war for a holy site, so do you have to fabricate claims or something or how else am I going to start a war for them?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Do you have to conquer the county its in, or is there a diplomatic way to control them?
There's no CB for declaring a war for a holy site, so do you have to fabricate claims or something?
You have to get control of them by normal means. Norse have quite a lot of CBs available, though - subjugation is good for getting land controlled by fellow pagans, and conquest lets you nibble away at the monotheistic regions until you get what you want.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Ludwig van Halen posted:

There's no CB for declaring a war for a holy site, so do you have to fabricate claims or something or how else am I going to start a war for them?

There is one thing to note, and that's that the AI can also reform a religion if they meet the prereqs. I've never seen the Norse manage to do it, though, so you're best off doing it yourself. If you don't have enough holy sites, you may need to conquer, vassalize, or fabricate against other Norse; I'd had to do that as Tengri before to get the last site I needed for reformation.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Shima Honnou posted:

There is one thing to note, and that's that the AI can also reform a religion if they meet the prereqs. I've never seen the Norse manage to do it, though, so you're best off doing it yourself. If you don't have enough holy sites, you may need to conquer, vassalize, or fabricate against other Norse; I'd had to do that as Tengri before to get the last site I needed for reformation.

Although good luck reforming West African Paganism.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Geokinesis posted:

Use ruler designer to reform Aztec before the invasion shows up.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Geokinesis posted:

It isn't that hard. I had a CK2+ game as Ghana where I did that in less than 100 years. Right off the bat there's several guys in de-jure Ghana you can ask to become your vassals and they'll accept, and after a few conquests you'll have the largest army in West Africa. I switched to Elective as soon as I had the prestige and gave all the duchies to my family members, so I could make sure my rulers had good stats. I got the holy site in Mali early on, took Marrakech once Morocco imploded, and fabricated a claim on Atlas Mt and took it once the Shiites appeared and they were occupied with that. Don't remember where the other holy sites were, but they weren't that hard to get. But I don't think reformation was worth it, because I never had any trouble with vassals before I reformed, and unreformed West African can change succession laws and crown laws. I'm not sure whether that was intentional or just an oversight.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh, de jure shifts are so confusing and obnoxious. So I had been playing as Germany and was on the verge of having the Lotharingia province de jure shift into it. Then I created the Holy Roman Empire and now they've been shifting back away for some reason. Lotharingia still doesn't exist and the only other existing King title in the entire realm is Acquitaine.

I don't suppose there's a de jure cheat so I won't have wasted waiting around 90 years?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

SickZip posted:

Ugh, de jure shifts are so confusing and obnoxious. So I had been playing as Germany and was on the verge of having the Lotharingia province de jure shift into it. Then I created the Holy Roman Empire and now they've been shifting back away for some reason.
Because you're not Germany any more, you're the HRE. I'm betting Lotharingia is already de jure HRE.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Hmm. Started a new game as the non-Venice Republic. Can't see Coastal Conquest anywhere. Given as fabricating will cost too much, what's a guy to do? Alternatively, let me know what happened to Coastal Conquest?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Bloodly posted:

Hmm. Started a new game as the non-Venice Republic. Can't see Coastal Conquest anywhere. Given as fabricating will cost too much, what's a guy to do? Alternatively, let me know what happened to Coastal Conquest?

That was taken out, of Vanilla at least. Instead, there are two things they got: Seize City, and something like take county. Basically, you can declare war for a city anywhere you have a trading post, or take control of a county anywhere you have a city. So now it is a three step process, build trading post, take city, take county.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
...How frustrating. Because naturally I put the first and only Trading Post I'm permitted in my home province to keep from anyone else taking it(Also the cheapest).

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

So... this is difficult to explain so bear with me.

The person I'm currently playing had war declared on him by another member of my dynasty (and vassal), who wanted the big boy title for himself. Well lucky for him, he won. The person I'm playing is now in prison. With his wife as regent (non-dynasty). He's now an Earl instead of King, but the usurper is a prince (half brother to ruler in prison).

My heir (and son) tried to kill me while I'm in prison so I locked him up, then his brother (also son) tried to kill me so I locked him up too.

The tooltips are confusing and frequently refer to the usurper, who I'm not currently playing, but yeah he's in my dynasty.

At this point it's a bit of a clusterfuck and I don't know what to do. Any ideas?

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Xachariah posted:

So... this is difficult to explain so bear with me.

The person I'm currently playing had war declared on him by another member of my dynasty (and vassal), who wanted the big boy title for himself. Well lucky for him, he won. The person I'm playing is now in prison. With his wife as regent (non-dynasty). He's now an Earl instead of King, but the usurper is a prince (half brother to ruler in prison).

My heir (and son) tried to kill me while I'm in prison so I locked him up, then his brother (also son) tried to kill me so I locked him up too.

The tooltips are confusing and frequently refer to the usurper, who I'm not currently playing, but yeah he's in my dynasty.

At this point it's a bit of a clusterfuck and I don't know what to do. Any ideas?

I assume your goal is to get the Kingdom back so there is a few things you can do. Stab him and his family until you inherit the crown again, purposefully kill off your branch of the family in the hopes of getting him (the usurper) as your heir, start a faction with the goal of putting you back on the throne, start a faction to change the succession laws to elective and try to get voted in as king, marry some sons or daughters off to powerful rulers/ruler's relatives in order to get some alliances to help you press your claim on the kingdom. If youre christian you can try to get him excommunicated which will tank his relations with the vassals in the realm which can make them more likely to plot against him/support your plots.

If crown authority is low enough and you need more power to stand up to the king you can try to get claims on either your fellow vassals or weak independent realms and expanding.

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 2, 2013

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
So I had a few miscellaneous political questions. First, I finally had enough of the constant civil wars and murder attempts kicked up mostly by Spain a good ways back in game time, and booted crown authority back up to Absolute because it says right on the tin vassals are not allowed to fight their own wars, and yet they keep doing exactly that. Sure, it's been less often, but there's still continual wars between vassals, be it rebellions against each other or moves on their titles, and even vassals attacking outside states on their own. Barcelona finished off the Almoravids for me by holy warring for their last holdings a long time ago in-game, while the king of Jerusalem just kicked the Pope out of Jerusalem proper. Why is the absolute crown authority so... well, not absolute? I can't help missing being able to just order vassals to cut their poo poo out in the GoT mod.

Also, is there any reliable way to keep peasant revolts in check, or do anything about diseases running rampant? It's probably because of just how massively my empire's expanded (not pictured: Iceland and the rest of Scandinavia, all of Southwest Africa; no idea how frickin' Ruthenia of all places took a chunk of Spain from me but their king is my kinsman and ally, and has fought well against the Mongols, so I don't really want to go to war with him if I can get that land back another way) but it feels like a revolt kicks off somewhere every couple minutes. I think there've been five to ten this last in-game year, and in my last war against the Mongols my doomstack had to spend the rest of the year after the Khan surrendered sailing around Africa, Spain and Scandinavia kicking in peasant heads. I'm a little fed up, but I also can't have my chaplain and marshal bunnyhopping all over Britannia in hopes the realm will stabilise more.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 2, 2013

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

SpRahl posted:

I assume your goal is to get the Kingdom back so there is a few things you can do. Stab him and his family until you inherit the crown again, purposefully kill off your branch of the family in the hopes of getting him (the usurper) as your heir, start a faction with the goal of putting you back on the throne, start a faction to change the succession laws to elective and try to get voted in as king, marry some sons or daughters off to powerful rulers/ruler's relatives in order to get some alliances to help you press your claim on the kingdom. If youre christian you can try to get him excommunicated which will tank his relations with the vassals in the realm which can make them more likely to plot against him/support your plots.

If crown authority is low enough and you need more power to stand up to the king you can try to get claims on either your fellow vassals or weak independent realms and expanding.

I'm gonna try out some of your suggestions, thanks. It's hard to get plotters against him cause everyone loves his backstabbing rear end. Time to tidy up the family tree.

I'm no longer in jail since I freed the heir and then died not that long after, so there's that.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Watch Holland. It frequently breaks away from the Karlings making Zeeland a prime target. If you are scandinavian Norse, you should have a holy site in your ambition kingdom that to conquer easily (if you aren't Fairhair/Ironside/the Lodbrok Dane and own them already). Then you just use your single lifetime subjugation to conquer the kingdom with the remaining holy site in it. If Holland never breaks free, then fabricate a claim on the 3rd Scandinavian site. In my first game I managed to snag the East Francia one, but that was a series of opportunistic lucky breaks.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Remember that you can also declare a county conquest on ANY coastal county so long as it's not held by a fellow Norseman, which is relevant as 4 of the 5 holy sites are coastal. Otherwise, as others have said, subjugation CB is a good bet against other Norse rulers and you can fabricate claims for those rare occasions when nothing else will work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Sam. posted:

It isn't that hard. I had a CK2+ game as Ghana where I did that in less than 100 years. Right off the bat there's several guys in de-jure Ghana you can ask to become your vassals and they'll accept, and after a few conquests you'll have the largest army in West Africa. I switched to Elective as soon as I had the prestige and gave all the duchies to my family members, so I could make sure my rulers had good stats. I got the holy site in Mali early on, took Marrakech once Morocco imploded, and fabricated a claim on Atlas Mt and took it once the Shiites appeared and they were occupied with that. Don't remember where the other holy sites were, but they weren't that hard to get. But I don't think reformation was worth it, because I never had any trouble with vassals before I reformed, and unreformed West African can change succession laws and crown laws. I'm not sure whether that was intentional or just an oversight.

I tend to just get steamrolled by the Umayyads :shobon:

Also I think it is a CK2 thing that you can change stuff as unreformed as in vanilla it says I need to reform the faith.

• Locked thread