Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

MarsDragon posted:

Watching Kain descend into madness is about the only reason I want to play the DS version. Except everything I've heard about it makes it sound like an unfun slog. Are there like...videos or something?

Silver Falcon just completed an LP of it. It looks horribly unfun due to its massive difficulty spike from the original game. Just read the LP. I think it's archived now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

:d: :d: :d:

MarsDragon posted:

Watching Kain descend into madness is about the only reason I want to play the DS version. Except everything I've heard about it makes it sound like an unfun slog. Are there like...videos or something?

You can see him go "This is a familiar feeling...Oh gently caress. Nooo :(" throughout this in the Sealed Cave. Then in the Lunar Subterrane he goes from "This wave of hate--does it emanate from Zemus?" to "No...these thoughts are not my own", to "I bear no...no ill will toward Cecil", to "No...that makes no sense. I would never...hate Rosa!"

Play the DS version, it's fun and you can slap cool Augments on party members.

Coughing Hobo posted:

I like that The After Years completely missed the point of the Paladin trial by having Cecil retroactively half-fail at it by not viciously assaulting his Dark Knight past and murdering it.

Yeah, TAY makes...not very good decisions at times.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I really loving hope Regis lasts much, much longer than Nora "Mom" Estheim.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Level Slide posted:

Not a chance. He's dead in the tutorial.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

Not a chance. He's dead in the tutorial.

He'll be like Sora's parents. Just gone.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
There's nothing quite like blaring Dancing Mad at work and then going straight into Dark Messenger. You can see the definite musical similarities between the two, not to mention the obvious character referencing Kuja has with Kefka.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

The DS version of FF IV is actually the only version I ever managed to complete. The difficulty spikes are definitely annoying with a couple of bosses in particular needing either a bit of grinding or planning.

Despite that though I quite enjoyed it, having not really played any of the original I didn't think the art style of voice acting was that awful like some people.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Level Slide posted:

Moms are tough! :v:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Kain will always get the shaft in anything and everything. It's pretty much the reason I like him, oddly enough. Guy doesn't get the girl, doesn't get the world saving, in fact, brought the world closer to destruction, but he's doing his best to try to make up for it. He just fails at that too three times (more if you count After Years, but I sure loving don't).

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Harrow posted:

The DS version of FFIV is easily the best version of the game. It's also the hardest--not in a "you need to grind for hours" way, but just in an "everything is a real threat to you all the time" way--which may or may not be appealing. I'm sure there's a Let's Play out there, but also Kain's descent into madness is really just a few short messages while going through the menu in certain areas of the game.

I played this for about 5 minutes, got murdered in a random battle outside of town after doing the intro, then promptly uninstalled and got my refund. gently caress that.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

He'll be like Sora's parents. Just gone.

Hey now, his mom's exists... Just as a disembodied voice.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Gologle posted:

Kain will always get the shaft in anything and everything. It's pretty much the reason I like him, oddly enough. Guy doesn't get the girl, doesn't get the world saving, in fact, brought the world closer to destruction, but he's doing his best to try to make up for it. He just fails at that too three times (more if you count After Years, but I sure loving don't).

Yeah, The After Years never really appealed to me. I suppose FF IV's popularity elsewhere is what garnered enough attention for it to be made.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

1st AD posted:

I played this for about 5 minutes, got murdered in a random battle outside of town after doing the intro, then promptly uninstalled and got my refund. gently caress that.

I don't care much for the DS version, but I'm pretty sure if you die right after the game let you start playing then it's all on you.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Last Celebration posted:

I don't care much for the DS version, but I'm pretty sure if you die right after the game let you start playing then it's all on you.

Seriously, the game's not THAT hard.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Last Celebration posted:

And then you step outside of Baron at the start of the game and wipe to petrification :shepface:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Laguna and Jecht. :colbert:

Granted their children didn't turn out nearly as well but hey, maybe it skips a generation.

But Laguna never even saw his son until he was practically an adult and Jecht was an alcoholic who used to bully his six-year-old about being a failure.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

NikkolasKing posted:

But Laguna never even saw his son until he was practically an adult and Jecht was an alcoholic who used to bully his six-year-old about being a failure.

If my son was Tidus I'd probably act just like Jecht did.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I have little patience for hard or grindy RPGs mad I think FFIV is the best version of the game, even if I prefer the sprites of the original. Just make sure to read a FAQ for the augments. If there had been a way to switch augments the game would have been even better. The game is hard but pretty fair.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

And then you step outside of Baron at the start of the game and wipe to petrification :shepface:

The only enemies that spawn outside Baron in FFIV DS are Flying Eyes, Sword Rats and Helldivers. Helldivers can cause petrify at a very low chance.
In the DS version, Petrify is a gradual process, not an instant one, and thus you'd have to literally not be attacking to be killed by it. You basically have to be both incredibly unlucky and actively not attacking to wipe there.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 2, 2013

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Relative to Toriyama, how far is Nomura up his own rear end? I'm already resigned to FF15 being a wreck of a story, but I just want to know if Nomura will be busting out roses when he talks about Noctis.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

The White Dragon posted:

Except the petrify takes several turns to actually happen and what the gently caress are you doing taking that long in pregame trash encounters?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

The White Dragon posted:

That's exactly what happened to me. Like, I had MAYBE 2 turns before I wiped, and I was attacking the whole time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

1st AD posted:

That's exactly what happened to me. Like, I had MAYBE 2 turns before I wiped, and I was attacking the whole time.

It's extremely difficult, bordering on incredibly unlikely, to get full-stone status inflicted on both characters before you can get more than two turns of attack off. I'm not saying you didn't have a run of abnormal luck but even then you should have more than two turns to pull it off. It's not remotely a common occurrence for most people playing the game at bare minimum.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 2, 2013

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Level Slide posted:

Relative to Toriyama, how far is Nomura up his own rear end? I'm already resigned to FF15 being a wreck of a story, but I just want to know if Nomura will be busting out roses when he talks about Noctis.

Equally far up his own rear end, less of a disgusting creeper.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tetsuya Nomura seems to have matured as a director over the years. For instance, rather than use FFXV to satisfy his own fantasy of being a fashion designer, he enlisted actual fashion designers to design the fashion in it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nomura is behind Kingdom Hearts and TWEWY, which basically overlaps entirely with the list of actual good games Square has made recently.

I dunno, this may be blasphemy around these parts, but I can't bring myself to hate the guy.

That's not to say Kingdom Hearts isn't batshit. It's just fun too.

e:

Level Slide posted:

I don't think Nomura did the writing for TWEWY though.

Ah, well that'll teach me to act like I know anything. What was he responsible for in TWEWY?

Also I might as well double down on controversial opinions and say I liked his character designs in TWEWY, except for Neku. And the entire aesthetic of the game was great.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 2, 2013

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I don't think Nomura did the writing for TWEWY though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

He was only an artist, but the art was pretty dang good in TWEWY. Some of the character designs were odd, but there was a distinct aesthetic to it, not just 'random poo poo we thought was cool'.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I think NOmura's name is just well known and that makes him an easy target. "He's an important guy at Square and was involved in this game! It's all his fault!"

It's just easier to hate on the high profile names. Yu never hear anyone blasting Yukio Nakatani. WHy? Because who the gently caress is Yukio Nakatani. (wriger of Dirge of Cerberus)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Nomura's biggest sin as a director is that his scripts are wall-to-wall ridiculous loving nonsense that are just "PLOT TWIST NO ONE SAW COMING" lashed together until they reach an end. That is explicitly his design philosophy.

That said, he sometimes blunders into a memorable scene or setpiece along the way, so he's already far better than Toriyama.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nomura, in all his interviews, doesn't really come across as a guy who believes he's making anything Deep or Meaningful so much as he just functions on his own weird logic and includes anything he thinks is fun. He's just kind of crazy and shameless about it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

1st AD posted:

Maybe it's a difference in taste, then. It's entirely possible to get murdered by the first random battle in Shin Megami Tensei IV and it's probably my favorite RPG of the generation. FFIV DS is probably the only Final Fantasy that has made me feel like I'm threatened in every area of the game and can't just mash A to victory. FFXII can do that, too, later in the game, which probably explains why I like that as well.

FFIX, while easy as hell, is still my favorite, because obviously there's a lot more to a game than challenge. But FFIV DS was really good.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Endorph posted:

He was only an artist, but the art was pretty dang good in TWEWY. Some of the character designs were odd, but there was a distinct aesthetic to it, not just 'random poo poo we thought was cool'.

I don't really disagree with you, but I can't help laughing when I see those characters in Dream Drop Distance.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pasteurized Milk posted:

I don't really disagree with you, but I can't help laughing when I see those characters in Dream Drop Distance.

Whatever do you mean? There's nothing weird about having a waist thinner than your leg.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shiki's design has always been weird but you can just pass it off as stylized. It doesn't transition well to 3D at all.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It probably helps that it's Shibuya, not a Disney movieland, that TWEWY is set in, and it's probably stranger if you're a teenager there that's not covered head to toe in pointless designer toggery.

(Joshua and Beat dress conservatively enough, though.)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Nomura is pretty much the last of the "old guard" of SE still actually involved in the company. So even though his role hasn't been super huge, mostly being a character designer and artist, he gets a disortionate amount of attention. As such, he's became the avatar of peoples frustrations with the company until recently when Toriyama has made an epic jackass of himself.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dr Pepper posted:

Nomura is pretty much the last of the "old guard" of SE still actually involved in the company. So even though his role hasn't been super huge, mostly being a character designer and artist, he gets a disortionate amount of attention. As such, he's became the avatar of peoples frustrations with the company until recently when Toriyama has made an epic jackass of himself.
My whole gripe with Nomura is the same as the issue I take with Akira Toriyama: for the past decade, he's had like three or four different faces for each gender and age group, and just kinda mixes and matches different minor features (like hairstyle, hair color, skin tone, and eye color) to make them look vaguely different enough that they might pass as totally not the same character. Like, I dunno if he's actively trying to do this to see if he can get away with it, but if it's on purpose, he's certainly done a great job of it. Bugs me to poo poo, though, and I can't stand his characters' faces.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I have no idea what you're talking abo

oh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
That's undeniable proof that he totally owned you lamers.