Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

RMZXAnarchy posted:

drat, that's a great price. I'd say you were lucky or somebody was just willing to let them go for a good price.

The place that was (it vanished years ago) around here had X2 and X3 in a special case alongside FF7 Black-Label and other games considered valuable. That's pretty much where I got the prices from since they sold them for that price.

It was a local used game store, the guy was ecstatic that I came in and dropped about $800 on a ton of used games!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
FF7 Black-Label is considered valuable? I had that several years ago.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

AngryCaterpillar posted:

FF7 Black-Label is considered valuable? I had that several years ago.

It's because the earliest release of te game had a typography error on the back of the box. It's not uncommon at all but like you say, people consider it very valuable.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

So not one post about the fact that Nintendo is finally going to let us buy stuff on the eShop through other sources this year (PC, phones)?

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/07/30/nintendo-digital-purchases-through-pc-and-phones-coming-this-year/

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Phantasium posted:

So not one post about the fact that Nintendo is finally going to let us buy stuff on the eShop through other sources this year (PC, phones)?

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/07/30/nintendo-digital-purchases-through-pc-and-phones-coming-this-year/

I wish they would share some more details on the account system. I'm curious if it will allow you to play your eShop library if you log in to a new Wii U or a friends Wii U.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Phantasium posted:

As far as I knew that had been the plan for months along with Miiverse. So I just saw that story as them saying it was still coming.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ooh, I hope a thing will automatically boot my WiiU from standby and download while I'm not at home.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Chip Cheezum posted:

Let's focus on how amazing Wonder-Art is instead:

I want this game yesterday.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

greatn posted:

Ooh, I hope a thing will automatically boot my WiiU from standby and download while I'm not at home.

It can already do this for patches and system updates so I'd imagine it'd do the same here.

Then again, Nintendo.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Phantasium posted:

I think we're all waiting for games to spend our money on.....

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I think we're all waiting for games to spend our money on.....

I was watching some IGN review analysis of Pikmin 3, and how essentially everyone has given it a 9/10 one way or the other. The video ends with "You should really get this game, and I mean, what ELSE are you using the Wii U for?"

A loving doorstop you rear end in a top hat. :colbert:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I played my Wii U for like 50 hours last month (70 counting streaming), compared to the one hour my 360 was turned on. :shobon:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

deadwing posted:

I played my Wii U for like 50 hours last month (70 counting streaming), compared to the one hour my 360 was turned on. :shobon:

I've been dunking a lot of time into Earthbound.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
As someone who doesn't have a decent PC I've been spending a bunch of time playing some of the indie games that have already come to the eShop and can't wait for some of the other stuff already announced. If I only look at full length 'retail release' games then yeah, the WiiU is lacking (to say the least) but as a whole it's been able to keep my attention especially in the last few months.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I bought a Wii U today! It's currently updating, and then I have to do the system transfer but what should be my inaugural eShop purchase?

So far I've only got Nintendoland because I'm waiting on Mario until my brother is around to play it with me and Pikmin doesn't come out for a few more days.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever

Regy Rusty posted:

I bought a Wii U today! It's currently updating, and then I have to do the system transfer but what should be my inaugural eShop purchase?

So far I've only got Nintendoland because I'm waiting on Mario until my brother is around to play it with me and Pikmin doesn't come out for a few more days.
Earthbound should be your first eShop buy, if you don't like rpgs you should go with Donkey Kong because it's 30cents until 8/13. Get Google Street U also.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm not actually a fan of Earthbound or it definitely would be my first buy. I might get it at some point anyway just to support the idea.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Regy Rusty posted:

Mighty Switch Force Hyper Drive Edition

Unless you have the 3DS version I guess. (I have both)

If not, it's a pretty good puzzle platformer with a killer soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLwzHk0dbFo

Later levels scale the difficulty up significantly, and the game is really fun to speedrun.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Earthbound.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

njsykora posted:

Earthbound.

I don't like it okay!!! It was worth experiencing once but I don't need to play it again.

Oh gosh there are little messages from people popping up everywhere and drawings and :3:

Also I don't actually seem to have an SD card in either the Wii U or my Wii so I guess I have to scrounge one up before I can transfer...

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Let me give you a hint: Download as many games as will fit that you own on Wii onto its main menu. Then when you system transfer it will automatically download those games instead of just transferring the rights (note it is downloading them from the internet not the SD card so it will take quite a while).

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh gosh there are little messages from people popping up everywhere and drawings and :3:

This is what I like most about Wii U :3:

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

It's not Nintendo exclusive but the Zen Studio pinball games are pretty great. At the very least every table is free to try (except for the Star Wars pinball game, it has no free demo). Supports off-TV play, too. I really enjoy their tables (except Iron Man, ugh) but I also like pinball so your mileage may definitely vary.

The Nintendo VC titles also have game manuals (press the "Home" button to access it) and can be played with pretty much any Wii/Wii U controller, with complete button customization. As for which one to buy, I don't really know. You could always check out the trailers for the various VC titles that are available on the eShop to see what might be appealing.

Have fun with the Wii U, I really love this console.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

They have Kirby's Dream Land 3 on here! And 2 just came out on the 3DS eShop today too. Sweet, guess I've made my purchase decisions.

Everything's so pretty, and I just talked face to face with a friend using Wii Chat, a feature I didn't even know existed!

The future is neat.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
So glad Pikmin is finally coming out. I haven't had a reason to play my Wii U since Game & Wario. I know Earthbound came out, but I'm one of the few who doesn't really get that game.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Behonkiss posted:

So glad Pikmin is finally coming out. I haven't had a reason to play my Wii U since Game & Wario. I know Earthbound came out, but I'm one of the few who doesn't really get that game.

Game & Wario just came out a month ago, and I'm still working on that game for sure. There's still so much to unlock, for some reason it skewed towards unlocking all of the cards early so I've been getting some pretty cool capsules.

Speaking of Game & Wario, I realized the other night that I haven't been getting the tokens that fall from the sky in Endless mode of Gamer. What do you need to do to get them?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

deadwing posted:

Game & Wario just came out a month ago, and I'm still working on that game for sure. There's still so much to unlock, for some reason it skewed towards unlocking all of the cards early so I've been getting some pretty cool capsules.

Speaking of Game & Wario, I realized the other night that I haven't been getting the tokens that fall from the sky in Endless mode of Gamer. What do you need to do to get them?

On the other hand, G&W blows for multiplayer if you've already exhausted yourself of the Pictionary game (which there are shitloads of on iOS, not G&W's fault) and spent a grand total of one day in the system before being banished.

The other multi games (ok fine, the flinging thing is kinda cool for an hour or so) suck cock.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Watching the little Pikmin take my data on this wonderful journey is so inspirational.

Go little guys, go. Get in that rocket.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

On the other hand, G&W blows for multiplayer if you've already exhausted yourself of the Pictionary game (which there are shitloads of on iOS, not G&W's fault) and spent a grand total of one day in the system before being banished.

The other multi games (ok fine, the flinging thing is kinda cool for an hour or so) suck cock.

I couldn't get enough of sketch when I rented Game and Wario, in fact my boyfriend and I still yearn for it now that it's gone. We never even touched the single player, also the spot the thief game was kind of cute.

Syfe fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 1, 2013

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Watching the little Pikmin take my data on this wonderful journey is so inspirational.

Go little guys, go. Get in that rocket.

That entire sequence is Nintendo as gently caress.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Syfe posted:

I couldn't get enough of sketch when I rented Game and Wario, in fact my boyfriend and I still yearn for it now that it's gone. We never even touched the single player, also the spot the thief game was kind of cute.

If you have a phone you can most likely get a game like that for free to scratch the itch. I know on iOS there's tons.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

If you have a phone you can most likely get a game like that for free to scratch the itch. I know on iOS there's tons.

I have an ancient iPhone that was given to me for free and really don't care to use it for anything more than that text messaging, I don't even do anything more than pay as you go. We're not really part of the phone burst of people, though we both used to love isketch.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever

Regy Rusty posted:

They have Kirby's Dream Land 3 on here! And 2 just came out on the 3DS eShop today too. Sweet, guess I've made my purchase decisions.

Everything's so pretty, and I just talked face to face with a friend using Wii Chat, a feature I didn't even know existed!

The future is neat.
TVii is pretty cool and Netflix/Amazon Video on Wii U are awesome because it has imdb stuff on the screen

Syfe posted:

also the spot the thief game was kind of cute.
Fruit is pretty awesome and Fronks is fun. If you can't have fun with either of those there's a good chance you can't play games for fun and are stuck in serious business mode :smith:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Wii U Virtual Console is getting Breath of Fire 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppm5ZAkJTlM

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

Policenaut posted:

But does this one have an alcoholic dog or drillpunch robot??

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Policenaut posted:

That is a really really REALLY terrible trailer, holy poo poo.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

absolutely anything posted:

Hahaha, some guy literally just recorded himself playing the game for ten seconds. Didn't bother editing it or anything.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

absolutely anything posted:

I was trying to think of a Virtual Console trailer that wasn't terrible, and the only one I can think of was the Shantae 3DS VC trailer.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Does the Earthbound trailer suddenly not count anymore? :raise:

I guess that was more of a special occasion, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

kurona_bright posted:

Does the Earthbound trailer suddenly not count anymore? :raise:

I guess that was more of a special occasion, though.

Haha, I forgot about that. It did show up the same day as the game appearing on the VC. Trailers should hype something coming soon!

• Locked thread