Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
no but it's awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

hubris.height posted:

i suddenly want to learn haskell is it a useful language in any regard?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSmkqocn0oQ

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
cool gonna check it out then. that guy talking about haskell seems like a p chill dude

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

chumpchous posted:

no but it's awesome

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

this is the third time ive mentioned haskell today, what's happening

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
your recurrsing

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Hard NOP Life posted:

keep trying, don't give up man. Network, network, network and make sure you take your resume over to http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553582 and ask them to see if there's anything glaringly wrong with it

oh poo poo i gotta do that too, i forgot there was a thread like that

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

chumpchous posted:

your recurrsing

gently caressgently caressgently caress gently caress

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot
Simon Peyton Jones :swoon:

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

VanillaKid posted:

Simon Peyton Jones :swoon:

i would put on a first date with spj.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Hard NOP Life posted:

keep trying, don't give up man. Network, network, network and make sure you take your resume over to http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553582 and ask them to see if there's anything glaringly wrong with it

i already got feedback from g+ yospos folks and I'm still wary of revealing my irl identity even though i mention sa or yospos in several of my github repos.

its loving frustrating companies need engineers badly but have only phd level jobs. a bs in cs doesn't mean poo poo anymore.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
i interviewed at a javascript-only shop (titanium for ios/android/mobile web apps, node.js for server and backend), devs liked me and said i was a good fit, and never heard from them again.

i'm not upset i didn't get the job, but at least let people know you didnt get it if you get to face-to-face stage.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

wolffenstein posted:

i already got feedback from g+ yospos folks and I'm still wary of revealing my irl identity even though i mention sa or yospos in several of my github repos.

its loving frustrating companies need engineers badly but have only phd level jobs. a bs in cs doesn't mean poo poo anymore.

i am not in the us so i dont know how much of this applies but

people usually dont give a poo poo about you meeting the on-paper requirements for the job. just find a person to talk to and impress them (this is not as hard as you think btw).

wish you luck

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

wolffenstein posted:

where on earth do you live that this is true

in the uk at least the software job market is about the only one that's been steadily growing the last few years, and im p. sure the same holds for a lot of the us

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

wolffenstein posted:

huh? i only know one person who has anything higher than a bachelor's in cs and it took him forever to find a job because he's an idiot.

edit: that sounded kinda mean. it just is the opposite of everything i've experienced

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

wolffenstein posted:

i interviewed at a javascript-only shop (titanium for ios/android/mobile web apps, node.js for server and backend), devs liked me and said i was a good fit, and never heard from them again.

i'm not upset i didn't get the job, but at least let people know you didnt get it if you get to face-to-face stage.

this has happened to me and basically you just have to look at it as a company you don't want to work for. it's pretty inexcusable to do if you get to the in-person stage.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
how fitting for js people to be douchebags

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

wolffenstein posted:

where the hell are you employers in DC are desperate for anyone with a CS degree and a pulse to poo poo out code for them

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Nomnom Cookie posted:

where the hell are you employers in DC are desperate for anyone with a CS degree and a pulse to poo poo out code for them

how much do they pay?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

its not san francisco but theres lots of job openings

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

oh, so not much, nevermind

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

DC is basically the south so why would you want to live there

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Bloody posted:

oh, so not much, nevermind

no you don't make six figures with a bachelor's and 0 experience

gucci void main posted:

DC is basically the south so why would you want to live there

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Nomnom Cookie posted:

norcal but not the bay area.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Nomnom Cookie posted:

no you don't make six figures with a bachelor's and 0 experience

what about a master's and im not a cs im an engineer i actually have skills

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
and your first job will still involve CJing thus is life

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
when I first came out of school, I thought my non-CS sciency engineery degree would be bad.
then I was thankful because even though i'm here, i at least have aspirations of not having to be here and that gives me comfort

uG posted:

CJ thuG life

agreed

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

wolffenstein posted:

norcal but not the bay area.

sacramentian spotted

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Mido posted:

sacramentian spotted

haha yeah all the tech jobs i've heard about here are maintaining archaic software and are also horribly mismanaged

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Bloody posted:

what about a master's and im not a cs im an engineer i actually have skills

gently caress if I know maybe the govt hires engineers or smth. You mean like ME or EE? My sister works for NSA with a masters in CompE. If you can pass the background check for TS/SCI clearance you could probably get a MIC job. NTSB hires a lot of automotive engineers ofc.

Also gently caress off, I'm a CS major.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

chumpchous posted:

haha yeah all the tech jobs i've heard about here are maintaining archaic software and are also horribly mismanaged

well there's also the intel campus in folsom if you like working in a gray cube farm in the middle of nowhere

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

well there's also the intel campus in folsom if you like working in a gray cube farm in the middle of nowhere

haha yeah but i'd need actual chops for that and then i would just kill myself

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

uG posted:

and your first job will still involve CJing thus is life

if you can't get a non-scrub non-cj job straight out of a master's program in cs, then either you didn't learn very much in school, or you went to a lovely one and wasted your money

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

well i already worked there so

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
who is travis and why does he keep showing up in my rails projects?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

wise from yo gwaav

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq8G4tZbMmw

committed this code crime today

code:
// Nasty hack to make the grid spacing uniform in both axes
// I get the hit rect of two horizontally contiguous 
// elements and compare the distance between them in X
ButtonGridView.ChildViewAdded += (object sender, ViewGroup.ChildViewAddedEventArgs e) => {
	if (ButtonGridView.ChildCount == ButtonData.Count)
	{
		Android.Graphics.Rect hitrect_a, hitrect_b;
		hitrect_a = new Android.Graphics.Rect ();
		hitrect_b = new Android.Graphics.Rect ();
		ButtonGridView.GetChildAt(0).GetHitRect (hitrect_a);
		ButtonGridView.GetChildAt(1).GetHitRect (hitrect_b);
		int horizontal_distance = hitrect_b.Left - hitrect_a.Right;
		ButtonGridView.SetVerticalSpacing(horizontal_distance);
	}
};
gently caress android making it loving impossible to just center a goddamn gridview

if there's a saner way of getting uniform spacing or just centering a gridview lemme know tyvm

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Mido posted:

code:
	Android.Graphics.Rect hitrect_a, hitrect_b;

ButtonGridView.GetChildAt(0).GetHitRect (hitrect_a);
	ButtonGridView.GetChildAt(1).GetHitRect (hitrect_b);

:barf: @ this

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I KNOW.

I. KNOW. Please kill me Shaggar

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

It was the only way

this is truly the beginning of the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I just don't like doing accessors that way, but w/e. I've never used android Linux java but I would guess theres some option to make it auto scale to you're items on screen, but who knows

• Locked thread