Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

fount of knowledge posted:

So Ace Combat 6 was 360 exclusive, Ace Combat AH was multiconsole, and now Ace Combat Infinity (8?) is PS3 exclusive.

I don't understand this series. :psyduck:

Man, AC6 being a 360 exclusive was even harder to understand at the time. Literally every single other game in the franchise outside of a lovely GBA title had been on a Sony platform.

At the end of the day, I'd like to think the PS3 dodged a bullet though. 6 was essentially Namco trying to recapture what made 5 "great" in people's eyes, but then missing the point entirely (and cutting down on the number of missions, and available aircraft, and creating a DLC scheme that was criminally bad, and having an awful multiplayer mode, and still failing to make the AI interesting and only resorting to throwing more targets into the air, and a boring soundtrack, and a terrible story, and making the use of guns so easy you only had to shoot within like a hundred feet of an aircraft to score hits). gently caress Ace Combat 6, I would seriously play AH again and again rather than dance with the goddamned angels.

Or, if I wanted to play really good proper AC titles, I could just play 4 and Zero again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

fivegears4reverse posted:

Man, AC6 being a 360 exclusive was even harder to understand at the time. Literally every single other game in the franchise outside of a lovely GBA title had been on a Sony platform.

At the end of the day, I'd like to think the PS3 dodged a bullet though. 6 was essentially Namco trying to recapture what made 5 "great" in people's eyes, but then missing the point entirely (and cutting down on the number of missions, and available aircraft, and creating a DLC scheme that was criminally bad, and having an awful multiplayer mode, and still failing to make the AI interesting and only resorting to throwing more targets into the air, and a boring soundtrack, and a terrible story, and making the use of guns so easy you only had to shoot within like a hundred feet of an aircraft to score hits). gently caress Ace Combat 6, I would seriously play AH again and again rather than dance with the goddamned angels.

Or, if I wanted to play really good proper AC titles, I could just play 4 and Zero again.

6 may have been cut down and not quite as good as 5 but it was still fun which is more than anyone can say for AH. Co-op was also great fun so I have no idea what you're talking about there.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I dunno, I found a lot of the later missions in AH fun. Even better than a lot of 6's missions. And AH's multiplayer blows 6's out of the water. I would even say AH's multiplayer is some of the best fun I've had in the Ace Combat series.

EDIT: One thing I'm really grateful for in the newer games are mid-mission checkpoints. "Demons of Razgriz" on Ace is getting to me. :shepicide:

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 19, 2013

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
If they're planning to turn Infinity into a full fledge series retcon and turn it into Strangereal during the course of the events, along with having Zero's story/backstory/setting/ as a sequel to it. I would seriously lose my poo poo over it.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
AC6 was really fun for me. Sure it didn't have the magic of 4, 5, or 0, but the graphics were pretty, had a decent selection of planes, and the same fun gameplay as usual. Easily good enough I still replay it, more than I can say of AH where I didn't make it past halfway through before quitting.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Insert name here posted:

Man you must not have been a very happy person when you read Flight of the Old Dog

When the apocalypse strikes, only one man can save the world: A B-52 navigator. He is .... Old Dog One.

Er. Well, uh, his pilot is. But the nav gets to pretend he's helping!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Man, Quebec is boned.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Phy posted:

Man, Quebec is boned.

The Maritimes too. Every single major city or town there is probably underwater or flattened.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Everything about this so far sounds, um, not promising at all. Just release an HD collection of 4, 5 and 0, Namco, you don't know what you're doing anymore :smith:

OTOH, at least this news got me into playing AC0 again. I am 4 planes (Draken, F-1, F-5, MiG-21) into my mission of getting Pac-Man on every single plane and still going strong.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

If Strangereal does turn out to be post-asteroid Earth, then Greenland is the safest place to go.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is it just me or are the non-ace pilots in AC:AH much harder to kill normally in order to encourage the use of DFM? It's been a while since I've played an Ace Combat game but I've loved all the previous ones and I don't recall them being this annoying.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Fallom posted:

Is it just me or are the non-ace pilots in AC:AH much harder to kill normally in order to encourage the use of DFM? It's been a while since I've played an Ace Combat game but I've loved all the previous ones and I don't recall them being this annoying.

Nope, pretty much the problem with that game was it's seeming insistence that you DFM every other opponent along with mandatory boss fights.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

:siren: Crazy theory alert :siren:

It's called Ace Combat Infinity, and is referencing/reusing old assets?

Deeters posted:

My guess is, since the game is download only, that it's going to be a collection of "favorite levels" from old games, mixed in with some new stuff, spread between strangereal and real. Emphasis on the "guess" part of that.

What if it is literally a Ulysses 1994XF04 to present of all the conflicts that spawned from the asteroid impact? It'd cut off Zero's stuff (since that takes place before the impact in 1999), but we'd probably get some of the tech or something? IDK, a compilation of 4, 5, and a rewritten 6 would get me to buy a PS3 just for that game.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Fallom posted:

The game actually tells you this in the tutorial when it introduces TGT_LEADs.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sindai posted:

The game actually tells you this in the tutorial when it introduces TGT_LEADs.

Yeah, I'm talking about the guys besides the ace pilots. They seem far too evasive.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I dunno where they got it but The Magic Box is claiming that

quote:

Ace Combat: Infinity will be coming to PS3 as a exclusive, the game will launch on PSN on Sep 25 as a free-to-play title.
:cripes:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Fallom posted:

Basically: yes, they're tougher, but not because they have more HP or anything - your guns are weaker and your missiles don't track as well outside of DFM. Also the AI is a little less stupid than prior AC games, so combine it all and that probably explains it.

But you can still regularly plant two standard missiles up someone's rear end and watch them explode, you just have to be a little more careful about firing in their rear arc first. It's also (appropriately) a lot easier to clean up an attack plane out of DFM than a fighter.

Well, that and they want you to use DFM always. :v:

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Psion posted:

Basically: yes

Also add in the fact that every fighter in the sky seems to be a lot more 'active' and maneuverable in general. It was somewhat humbling to see the MIGs in the first real mission actually present a credible threat by being so much more aggressive AND also being maneuverable enough to make me work to get into position to even initiate DFM, much less fire off any missiles. Traditional AC AI really just turns in circles during a dogfight, tight or large depending on your difficulty setting/target. And that's if you let them get into a turning duel. 90 percent of everything I shot down in AC 6 was flying straight and level after I fired a swarm of XMAA/XLAA in (general direction) and got 4 to 6 kills ten seconds later (or I'd use allied support and suddenly every single friendly in the sky remembers they have weapons that can hurt things in general and Macross the whole goddamn world), and they'd only start to attempt evasive maneuvers when it was almost certainly too late.

I can definitely see why Project Aces were looking to change things up, in terms of gameplay: the formula had gotten stale even to big fans of the series, and it wasn't (and still isn't) attracting new players, because in a world where gamers are trained to expect huge dynamic events to happen during battle all the time, modern air combat inherently is the least intimate form of combat (not that it doesn't require skill). Even in AC, you rarely actually see what you're engaging because missiles are very effective at what they do (and you also carry like a billion of them). There's little to get people invested in what's going on for entertainment unless they already love the games or are big fans of jets. You're in the thick of the action, but at the same time it's very easy to feel completely disassociated and disconnected with what's going on when the action consists of clicking SHOOT on a dot in the distance and scoring a kill.

DFM was definitely an attempt to get people to be able to describe the action in Ace Combat as 'visceral', in the same way that someone who plays CoD or BF3 might look at the close quarters combat in those games and say it's 'visceral'. By itself, not a bad goal. They even partially succeeded, because actually scoring a kill in Assault Horizon is both more satisfying on a visual level, and even somewhat horrifying. You're watching this super-expensive machine spew its mechanical guts all over the place, riddled by gunfire, wings aflame, oil trailing if it isn't on fire as well, canopy glass whipping by. You hosed that guy UP.

Of course, there is someone in that thing you just turned into modern art. For all the pretenses of the Ace Combat series having :barf: dramatic, human tales of war, the actual fighting has always been very 'gamey', and it's been up to the writers to throw in some really bad dialogue to convince us that 'war is bad you guys, the jourrrrrrneeeeey beeeeeeegiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinz'. Meanwhile, you can casually ice some random MIG in AH and see the dude completely fail to escape this awful death as he's thrown from his newly christened lawn dart. If they could somehow combine the visuals of AH and the stories from the older games, it'd probably be the first time I've been properly excited by an AC title since Zero.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

That doesn't bode well. I hope that this isn't true.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Yeah I'm not really against them making enemy AI less dumb, but I wish they wouldn't make my cannon suck so much while they do it. Like I said earlier, buff cannon and give me more gunpods. :clint:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

yellowcar posted:

That doesn't bode well. I hope that this isn't true.

I seem to recall Magic Box just being a rumor mill, but I might be thinking of another site.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just beat Assault Horizon and didn't get the "It takes a while, but it turns into a proper AC game!" experience I was promised :colbert:

There's a lot more planes in the sky towards the end, but the story never gets much more interesting than "They've got this pretty big bomb! It's not a nuke or anything but it's pretty decent!"

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Heh, trap sprung :smugdog:

If you hated Siege and Enemy Fleet you have no soul, sorry.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Psion posted:

Those two were probably the best missions, I'll admit.

Also, all the "HOLY poo poo IT'S THAT GUY, WE'RE SCREWED!" chatter isn't directed at yourself, which is disappointing.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 21, 2013

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Psion posted:

Basically: yes, they're tougher, but not because they have more HP or anything - your guns are weaker and your missiles don't track as well outside of DFM. Also the AI is a little less stupid than prior AC games, so combine it all and that probably explains it.
I've been playing AC6 lately and the AH missiles seem to track just as well as your missiles in that game with no ECM support (that is, not very well). The difference is is that in AC6 you could pull lead and have the [SHOOT] prompt appear which causes your missiles to magically track better.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYxnmUCpUJE

Can someone explain to me why no other AC game followed this same form of storytelling/art? Going back to it, i forgot how much of a sad and bleak story it is.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ughhhh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYxnmUCpUJE

Can someone explain to me why no other AC game followed this same form of storytelling/art? Going back to it, i forgot how much of a sad and bleak story it is.

I think its as simple as them wanting to try a different frame for each PS2 game. I think it was a wise decision. Personally I found the interviews in ACZero to be the best of them.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Maybe they're going the Dynasty Warriors Orochi route with Infinity and just going all "russia strange-real russia managed to open a parallel dimension/timegate and become parallel country bros. Now you have to shoot down literally everything from previous games."

Wooph
Oct 28, 2010

by angerbot

Psion posted:

Siege is probably one of the best missions in the entire series. It had such a great mix of Air and Ground targets, plus an additional actually reasonably tough objective of saving one of the transport planes.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
It's only tough until you realise the enemies only go defensive if you enter DFM so if you just shoot em down outside of it you can just sit there shooting down the Su-27s as fast as your missiles can reload while they ignore you and fly in a straight line. :ssh:

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008

Insert name here posted:

It's only tough until you realise the enemies only go defensive if you enter DFM so if you just shoot em down outside of it you can just sit there shooting down the Su-27s as fast as your missiles can reload while they ignore you and fly in a straight line. :ssh:

It was one of my favourite missions, but the enemies there are some of the most static in the game, with the six target missiles trivialising them. The bombers, too, don't display much of a survival instinct, beelining to their objectives. Overall though, I liked that the enemies where more agile and aggressive, I just hope that in new AC they keep that as well as making the guns powerful again. One of the few things I liked about HAWX 2 was that the SU-47s would often flip over as you were tailing them, firing their weapons as they flew backwards.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

tooooooo bad posted:

I dunno where they got it but The Magic Box is claiming that

:cripes:

Ace Combat: Infinity and it's going to be a PS3 exclusive. The video went up on their Facebook official fan site this morning (and it looks like others went up over the weekend): https://www.facebook.com/AceCombat

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/PROJECT_ACES/status/360655756665692160/photo/1

AC twitter updated last night/yesterday with this, also more info is apparently coming next week.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Oh man, I hope that means that :krad: briefings like the ones in 5 are returning.

Fonz
Oct 18, 2006
moron alert

Cooked Auto posted:

https://twitter.com/PROJECT_ACES/status/360655756665692160/photo/1

AC twitter updated last night/yesterday with this, also more info is apparently coming next week.

Looks to say July 2, 2019, earth-as-strangereal reboot idea seems to be correct

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

OneDeadman posted:

Maybe they're going the Dynasty Warriors Orochi route with Infinity and just going all "russia strange-real russia managed to open a parallel dimension/timegate and become parallel country bros. Now you have to shoot down literally everything from previous games."

and then the aliens invade and the final mission is both realworld/strangereal teaming up to go all Independence Day on the alien motherships.

I'm not going to get myself too hyped or worried just yet; I'm pretty sure I can make it through a tiny two-month wait to know more.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I saw this posted on the Ace Combat Facebook page today:

quote:

<< Tomorrow, at the same time of hour, be ready to commence operation >>

Hopefully we'll be getting answers.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Project Aces could probably stand to hire an actual translator.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

So I tried out the beta for their free to play Ridge Racer and I sure hope that it isn't any indication of where they're going with this Ace Combat game. Imagine a Burnout-esque racing game in which every time you crash it costs you real money to repair your car. :yum:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

tooooooo bad posted:

So I tried out the beta for their free to play Ridge Racer and I sure hope that it isn't any indication of where they're going with this Ace Combat game. Imagine a Burnout-esque racing game in which every time you crash it costs you real money to repair your car. :yum:

But how many anime girl paintjobs can you buy?

• Locked thread