Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

ApexAftermath posted:

Adding direct link to the trailer. Looks really good. Too bad the trailer isn't HD. Hopefully one will go up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhB6o3Dtwjs

This is one of those trailers that tells you jack poo poo about the plot, yet it's already won me over just from the cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I think America has spoken in regards to whether or not they want Peter Berg making movies at all.

You mean after the niche successes of The Rundown and Friday Night Lights (the latter of which spawned a low-rated but zeitgeist-clinching TV series), the modest box-office success of The Kingdom (followed by its runaway success in the rental market), and the strong box-office success of Hancock? It's true that they're not pushing Lone Survivor as a Peter Berg film, but let's not think it's analogous to M. Night Shamylan and After Earth.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hollis posted:

I loving lost it at the beauty pageant. HOLY poo poo.

You know what's funny and also scary? It's not that much of an exaggeration compared to some actual child pageants.

Edit:
I really need to see The Rundown that I bought on Blu-Ray months ago. I also saw Battleship in the theater and totally agree with many in CineD that it is great.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 1, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Peter Berg has some amazing stories about filming The Rundown. At one point he and his crew were robbed at gunpoint by some locals.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I think America has spoken in regards to whether or not they want Peter Berg making movies at all.

I want him to make more movies like The Rundown, but maybe what I really want is just more Dwayne Johnson in my movies.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

I want him to make more movies like The Rundown, but maybe what I really want is just more Dwayne Johnson in my movies.

gently caress, I forgot he made the Rundown. That movie actually ruled. Now I'm depressed.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

bows1 posted:

Secret Life of Walter Mitty - Looks fabulous!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8TxKJG8q8A

He somehow got Rodney Mullin to be his double in this which I find pretty amazing. Movie looks good, I've always liked Ben Stiller though.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

ApexAftermath posted:

Face hurt from laughter after this. I will not miss it. I was ready to roll my eyes when the trailer started but hoo boy this looks great.

I have avoided Jackass, but I actually laughed while watching this trailer.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ghostwritingduck posted:

Why have you avoided Jackass? Do you dislike the purest, oldest form of comedy?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Hollis posted:

I loving lost it at the beauty pageant. HOLY poo poo.

You may enjoy Little Miss Sunshine.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

zenintrude posted:

You may enjoy Little Miss Sunshine.
Yeah, I rolled my eyes at that because it just seemed like a dumb ripoff of that fun scene from LMS.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah, I rolled my eyes at that because it just seemed like a dumb ripoff of that fun scene from LMS.

True, but the gold is in knowing some horrible beauty pageant mother is offended or upset.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

ghostwritingduck posted:

This. I've always felt that enduring an entire one of their movies would be tantamount to having them target you for a painful prank, but apparently I was just waiting for a little storytelling to be thrown in the mix.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

soapgish posted:

This. I've always felt that enduring an entire one of their movies would be tantamount to having them target you for a painful prank

...why?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

ApexAftermath posted:

True, but the gold is in knowing some horrible beauty pageant mother is offended or upset.

This is why I like it too. I wouldn't mind if this movie is just two hours of something like God Bless America, but instead of killing people and being generally uncomfortable to watch, it's them going around trolling people like child pageants and the Westboro Baptist Church.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

der juicen posted:

Taylor Kitsch with a beard. :psypop:

I followed a thumbnail of his character to the trailer and spent the first half wondering when Josh Hartnett was going to show up.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Lack of variety, I think. Flipping around and catching 20-22 minutes of antics always seemed the perfect format and dosage, so the promise of over 4x as much without any deviation or breaks in the mayhem was off-putting, and nothing I saw ever told me they did anything special with bigger budgets and less restrictions.

I take it that's incorrect/inaccurate?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The movies are even funnier/grosser than the show, if you can believe it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The movies are even funnier/grosser than the show, if you can believe it.

The gross part is what put me off. I saw the first movie in theaters but haven't bothered with the rest because while I enjoy the tomfoolery parts I can't stand the gross out bits.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Seeing the Jackass movies in theaters were wayyyy better than watching it at home. Everyone was going nuts

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

muscles like this? posted:

The gross part is what put me off. I saw the first movie in theaters but haven't bothered with the rest because while I enjoy the tomfoolery parts I can't stand the gross out bits.

I don't like most of the gross out stuff (some of it is really funny though) either and they actually lean less and less away from it as the movies go on.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

muscles like this? posted:

If you hate the grossout stuff then it's a good thing you haven't seen Jackass 2 :D

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Which was the one where they gave themselves severe paper cuts in sensitive areas. That was gross.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

bows1 posted:

Seeing the Jackass movies in theaters were wayyyy better than watching it at home. Everyone was going nuts

I remember seeing Jackass 1 in a packed opening night theater. I can attest to the awesomeness.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
The Jackass movies are the funniest, purest, most creative comedies ever produced.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

scary ghost dog posted:

The Jackass movies are the funniest, purest, most creative comedies ever produced.

2 in particular is a masterpiece and is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen in my life. No one on Earth hates physical comedy!

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

soapgish posted:

Lack of variety, I think. Flipping around and catching 20-22 minutes of antics always seemed the perfect format and dosage, so the promise of over 4x as much without any deviation or breaks in the mayhem was off-putting, and nothing I saw ever told me they did anything special with bigger budgets and less restrictions.

I take it that's incorrect/inaccurate?

The first Jackass movie, which I think is the best one, definitely makes good use of the longer format: as the movie goes on, the gags start to call back to stunts we saw earlier in the movie, and the guys build up a stock of costumes, props, injuries and patches of missing hair more or less chronologically. It becomes a strangely immersive documentary in long form. If a bit doesn't land (or it's just too much to handle -- I still can't watch the paper cut scene), it doesn't really matter because there's another one coming up in a minute. (Shades of Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker.) Then it ends with a hilariously protracted stunt that would be nearly the length of a full episode on TV.

I'm honestly no big fan of the sequel or Jackass 3D, but the first one is perfect in its own gross, stupid, low-fi way, and it's one of only a few movies* that have made me feel like I physically hurt myself laughing.

*Others: Pineapple Express, Brüno, This is the End

emgeejay fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 2, 2013

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

scary ghost dog posted:

Why have you avoided Jackass? Do you dislike the purest, oldest form of comedy?

I think I had issues with seeing idiots attempt to duplicate things they saw on Jackass. Honestly, I probably would have watched it if someone played it in front of me, but I haven't been curious enough to see anything for myself.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Jackass is an attempt to imitate what idiots do in real life.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

2 in particular is a masterpiece and is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen in my life.

My thoughts exactly. It's "I really feel I'm in danger of passing out from lack of oxygen from laughing so hard" funny. Surprisingly rewatchable, too. It's totally hilarious even in its most lowbrow, vile moments just because of the reactions of the dudes themselves to their own actions. Like when Chris Pontius drinks the horse semen; the funniest part isn't even that he does it, it's his amazing delivery of "I'm completely ashamed of myself" afterwards.

And then it's got other bits that are just as funny without any of the lowbrow stuff, like the Valentine bit, which is, like, Marx Brothers good.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 2, 2013

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Hell, Jackass 3D was inferior to 2, but the giant hand and the dildo gun over tiny city-models were two of the funniest things I've seen in a movie ever.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

LesterGroans posted:

Hell, Jackass 3D was inferior to 2, but the giant hand and the dildo gun over tiny city-models were two of the funniest things I've seen in a movie ever.

Jackass 3D was one of the best uses of 3D technology in cinema history

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEcpJLRqZ-g

Nobody could have ever delivered this line quite like Johnny Knoxville does:

quote:

Aaron's walking in, and we're gonna have him bring in a whole tray full of soup.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Max22 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEcpJLRqZ-g

Nobody could have ever delivered this line quite like Johnny Knoxville does:

Goddamn Bam just gets flatlined. I forgot all about that. I swear those 3 movies alone have accumulated the most "gonna throw up from laughing" moments than the rest of the history of tv/movie comedy combined.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

If you hate the grossout stuff then it's a good thing you haven't seen Jackass 2 :D

Jackass 2 is the only movie to make me phsyically gag (more than once).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The big overarching joke in Jackass 2 is the concept of human dignity.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

2 in particular is a masterpiece and is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen in my life. No one on Earth hates physical comedy!

But some people, as we learn, do hate snakes. Jackass is the educational experience that PSAs wish they could be.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

AndyP posted:

This is one of those trailers that tells you jack poo poo about the plot, yet it's already won me over just from the cast.

It looks like it's based on abscam (?), but I don't know the story all that well.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Which was the one where they gave themselves severe paper cuts in sensitive areas. That was gross.
Just thinking about this made me wince. I'm never watching this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I still laugh when I think about this line.

• Locked thread