Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Makarov_
Jun 10, 2006

"It's our year" - Makarov_ January 2018
Here's another image with the gaps and techniques illustrated:

If you recall hearing about the "Wide 9" which the Eagles ran for a couple years, it involves the 4-3 DEs lining up outside the TE or T, whichever is the most outside in-line front blocker.

Makarov_ fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
The Lions have run a Wide 9 the last couple of years and presumably will do so again this year. So if anyone wants to see the excitement of running backs blazing through the giant gap between Nick Fairley and Ziggy Ansah, this is your chance.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Trin Tragula posted:

It's also an NFL foul to have an ineligible number uncovered (nope, no good reason there either)

Wouldn't the tackles be ineligible and uncovered most any time there isn't a TE next to them?

If it is 3rd or 4th down and the offense moves the ball past the 1st down line and then fumbles and loses possession, does it go down in the stats as a conversion? If it was a pass, would the QB get credit for a completion?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There should be a WR out there on the LOS next to the T.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

SkunkDuster posted:

Wouldn't the tackles be ineligible and uncovered most any time there isn't a TE next to them?

A WR can cover them.

code:
X     OOOOO	X
  X	X  Y
	X

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

That clears things up. I thought being covered meant the guy was lining up right next to them.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

SkunkDuster posted:

If it is 3rd or 4th down and the offense moves the ball past the 1st down line and then fumbles and loses possession, does it go down in the stats as a conversion? If it was a pass, would the QB get credit for a completion?

The NCAA Statisticians' Manual is a very useful thing, yes sir. (As ever, don't assume that this also counts for the NFL.)

I tried to copy and paste it, but the stupid formatting took over and nerfed it. The answer is no, Team A does not get credited with a first down in that situation, and they don't get a conversion. However, both the QB and WR get the yardage to the spot of the fumble, and a completed pass (and the WR gets the fumble too, no matter how much he doesn't want it); the answers are on pages 4 and 5, if anyone wants to check my working.

Adrenalist
Jul 8, 2009
Could someone talk about the wide 9? I think the Lions and Seahawks both run it on a majority of snaps- what do they do differently?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
As far as the lineman technique (which technically is all it is) there's a good deal of talk about that subject in general on the last page. Basically wide 9 is lining up on the outside shoulder of the tight end, generally they're expected to speed rush the QB most of the time.

As far as how defenses are schemed to try to make sure that isn't a liability against the run I'm not sure if I've seen a good write up about that.

k3nn
Jan 20, 2007
This Billick video is a pretty decent wide 9 explanation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNzGcVRbZws

Mansfield
Feb 21, 2005
will never be able to kill the Grimace
There was a discussion about zone blocking scheme in the free agency thread. While I think I can grasp the general idea of it (I would assume its similar in concept to something like zone coverage) I was wondering if someone could give a basic overview, and more importantly, an easy way to identify it while watching an offense play.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Ok it's embarrassing that I don't know this and I'm not sure how to phrase the question without being impossibly vague, but what's that Youtube song with the guy sort of singing incomprehensibly for a line or two before intelligibly singing the single word "footbaw!"?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Captain von Trapp posted:

Ok it's embarrassing that I don't know this and I'm not sure how to phrase the question without being impossibly vague, but what's that Youtube song with the guy sort of singing incomprehensibly for a line or two before intelligibly singing the single word "footbaw!"?

You mean the TFF National Anthem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n1KPQmdddY

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Ha, yep that's the one. Thanks!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Read Meat Market, find a video of Coach O actually talking, and then realize that the video could be a documentary for all we know.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Makarov_ posted:

Here's another image with the gaps and techniques illustrated:

If you recall hearing about the "Wide 9" which the Eagles ran for a couple years, it involves the 4-3 DEs lining up outside the TE or T, whichever is the most outside in-line front blocker.

The numbers are used by the defence, letters by the offence.

Also the wide 9 is a source of controversy, as alluded to earlier, because it opens up huge running lanes if you don't have a very good LB corps. The teams that use it in recent years (Eagles, Lions) have pretty lovely linebackers. So maybe it works with the right guys, but I dunno. Good for penetration if you have a reasonable D-line, and the Lions front 4 are beastly (save for RDE or whatever Vanden Bosch played)

I think that Billick video goes into it. He's great with explanations, I wish he would do like a 30- or 60-minute version of Playbook every week on NFL Network. I think he works for Fox now or something. Even just him and a whiteboard with no production values is super interesting

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I'm going to be moving to North Carolina in about a month. Can someone here give me a run down on the Panthers, because right now my knowledge of them is limited to "That Cam Newton feller sure is swell."

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Strange Matter posted:

I'm going to be moving to North Carolina in about a month. Can someone here give me a run down on the Panthers, because right now my knowledge of them is limited to "That Cam Newton feller sure is swell."

Probably the best linebacking corps in the league, running back situation went from "ultra set" to "vaguely questionable" over the course of like two years, Steve Smith is an ageless trash-talking wonder, and you hate the rest of the NFC South. They hate you back.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Declan MacManus posted:

Probably the best linebacking corps in the league, running back situation went from "ultra set" to "vaguely questionable" over the course of like two years, Steve Smith is an ageless trash-talking wonder, and you hate the rest of the NFC South. They hate you back.

real talk, I just realized I do not know which teams are AFC south and which are NFC south

They are just a big nebulous "those guys"

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Declan MacManus posted:

Well I already hate the Falcons and the Saints, so I guess I need to work myself into a froth against the Bucs. Any suggestions for cassus belli?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

real talk, I just realized I do not know which teams are AFC south and which are NFC south

They are just a big nebulous "those guys"

The NFC South has darker and more menacing colors. The AFC has three teams that use lots of white and light blue.

And the Jags.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
For real though it is going to be strange needing to hate my divisional rivals rather than look at them with a mixture of bemusement and pity.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Strange Matter posted:

For real though it is going to be strange needing to hate my divisional rivals rather than look at them with a mixture of bemusement and pity.

Who was your team before?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Who was your team before?
The New England Patriots.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

Strange Matter posted:

Well I already hate the Falcons and the Saints, so I guess I need to work myself into a froth against the Bucs. Any suggestions for cassus belli?

Welcome, little brother. I hate you the least of the division rivals. I loathe the Falcons, dislike the Bucs (they're boring, maybe start looking for causes there) and have weird sympathy/pity for the Panthers. Even Steve Smith attacking Roman Harper was just adorable (and kinda deserved).

Just remember the division credo: gently caress a falcon.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Jerome Agricola posted:

Welcome, little brother. I hate you the least of the division rivals. I loathe the Falcons, dislike the Bucs (they're boring, maybe start looking for causes there) and have weird sympathy/pity for the Panthers. Even Steve Smith attacking Roman Harper was just adorable (and kinda deserved).

Just remember the division credo: gently caress a falcon.
I feel like I could hate the Buccaneers much more easily if they wore those terrible melted orange popsicle uniforms more often.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Strange Matter posted:

I feel like I could hate the Buccaneers much more easily if they wore those terrible melted orange popsicle uniforms more often.

gently caress you those owned

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Strange Matter posted:

The New England Patriots.

Oh, well gently caress you very much then :mad:

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Strange Matter posted:

Stay away from downtown Durham

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Strange Matter posted:

Get out.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Chichevache and I agree on something!!!!!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Rap posted:

The lights are flickering and my table is rumbling...

...oh god guys what is happening

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Rap posted:

We also hate the Steelers and the Seahawks but love the Browns. :colbert:

frumpus
Nov 28, 2005

Pro Bowl's AFC-NFC format scrapped, teams to be drafted by 2 captains, like a playground or something 2 stoned guys would come up with playing Madden.

I don't post in here often enough to start a thread but this should probably be one.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Is an early preseason game (Seahawks at Chargers) worth spending money to attend? My limited knowledge of preseason play tells me no.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

spidoman posted:

Is an early preseason game (Seahawks at Chargers) worth spending money to attend? My limited knowledge of preseason play tells me no.

That's a value judgment you'll have to make for yourself. On the one hand, it will be bad football played by the 3rd stringers and free agents trying to make the team. On the other hand it's football.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Reading that description makes me think that it won't generate much interest because the rules make it a game that is somewhat similar to football, but not really NFL football at all.

I don't remember if it was this thread or something I was talking about with a friend, but I thought it would be kind of cool if the Pro-Bowl game was played by the losers of the AFC/NFC conference champion games with some incentive involved to win.

Atomic Spud
Jun 24, 2013

SkunkDuster posted:

Reading that description makes me think that it won't generate much interest because the rules make it a game that is somewhat similar to football, but not really NFL football at all.

I don't remember if it was this thread or something I was talking about with a friend, but I thought it would be kind of cool if the Pro-Bowl game was played by the losers of the AFC/NFC conference champion games with some incentive involved to win.

While I wouldn't complain about an actual game, that sort of loses the entire point of the probowl in that it is for individual player accomplishment, and not the team's. Honestly, all they have to do is bring back the skills competition or a set of competitive activities throughout the weekend and boom, instant interest. Hell, have them split up and play 5-on-5 flag football, and it'd be more interesting than what's going to happen.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

spidoman posted:

Probably not, but the Chargers hold free practices open to the public, and it looks like it isn't that far from Qualcomm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I paid $4 each for Bengals-Jets preseason tickets last year and it was totally worth that, even with the drive to Cincinnati from Knoxville.

• Locked thread