Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-snype posted:

idiot bitch fucker

Don't sign your post halfway through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

SoundMonkey posted:

Don't sign your post halfway through it.

Look at this guy missing a rule thread snipe for a mediocre burn.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-samurai posted:

Look at this guy missing a rule thread snipe for a mediocre burn.

I didn't miss the snype, son. Work on your reading comprehension.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

SoundMonkey posted:

I didn't miss the snype, son. Work on your reading comprehension.

DO YOU THINK THIS IS A GAME SON !?!

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 2, 2013

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-snype posted:

DO YOU THINK THIS IS A GAME SON !?!

Haha you literally spent money on that.

You're welcome, Lowtax.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

In all seriousness, would anyone else be interested in an instant photography thread? There's been an influx of Instax posts lately and with a little more awareness, it might get drum up enough enthusiasm for people to go out and buy one or run a pack of really expensive film through their parents' lovely Polaroid 600 for funsies. I'm probably not the most knowledgeable on the subject, but if no one else wants to make the thread, I can put some research into it.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

aliencowboy posted:

In all seriousness, would anyone else be interested in an instant photography thread? There's been an influx of Instax posts lately and with a little more awareness, it might get drum up enough enthusiasm for people to go out and buy one or run a pack of really expensive film through their parents' lovely Polaroid 600 for funsies. I'm probably not the most knowledgeable on the subject, but if no one else wants to make the thread, I can put some research into it.

I'd find it interesting.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
There was an instant thread I used to post in, but I think it fell back into the archives.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Spedman posted:

There was an instant thread I used to post in, but I think it fell back into the archives.

Yeah I was going to say we already had one, then I looked and couldn't find it, so this is probably what happened.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

aliencowboy posted:

Do it. I've been really tempted to join the cool expensive instant photo club and I need a thread full of people posting pictures with big white borders to convince me to pull the trigger.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Can we have a JPG only thread? Really loving sick of all these film and raw shooters.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Musket posted:

Can we have a JPG only thread? Really loving sick of all these film and raw shooters.

It's ok, they hate you just as much as you hate them.

Probably more.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The only true art is straight OOC.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

rio posted:

The only true art is straight OOC.

Straight OOC, you say?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Out of :catdrugs:

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

Straight OOC, you say?

im a snyper with a helluva scope

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

aliencowboy posted:

NOSCOPE CORNSHOT

BAN THIS SICK FILTH

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

SoundMonkey posted:

BAN THIS SICK FILTH

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

SoundMonkey posted:

...I... FILTH

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

aliencowboy posted:

What the hell is this?

No seriously, where are his sideburns.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Bump for rule 21 update: posting What The Duck comics will get you probated for a week because they are terrible.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Aw mann

fine.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

SoundMonkey posted:

Bump for rule 21 update: posting What The Duck comics will get you probated for a week because they are terrible.

I just looked that up because I've never heard of it and holy poo poo is that a bad comic

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

404notfound posted:

I just looked that up because I've never heard of it and holy poo poo is that a bad comic

It's funny like once every three years but basically some hack venting his feelings of entitlement/inadequacy the rest of the time.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

SoundMonkey posted:

It's funny like once every three years but basically some hack venting his feelings of entitlement/inadequacy the rest of the time.

dorkroom.txt

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I looked at one What the Duck and it was awful. I figured it was luck of the draw, even good comics have the occasional turd (except Bill Watterson). Then I read another. And another. I gave up after eight.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Bob Socko posted:

I looked at one What the Duck and it was awful. I figured it was luck of the draw, even good comics have the occasional turd (except Bill Watterson). Then I read another. And another. I gave up after eight hundred.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

If there were a dorkroom irc, would anyone join the dorkroom irc? Sometimes while editing I feel like I just need to take a break, and while the actual dorkroom is great, some real human interaction (via pc to pc internet chat) would also be pretty great.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

rio posted:

If there were a dorkroom irc, would anyone join the dorkroom irc? Sometimes while editing I feel like I just need to take a break, and while the actual dorkroom is great, some real human interaction (via pc to pc internet chat) would also be pretty great.

We don't talk about IRC on the forums but you should find information relevant to your question in the OP of this very thread.

(see: "The Chill Zone")

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 28, 2013

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Poster "Wario In Real Life" is no longer allowed to post in Dorkroom, since he contributes nothing of value, has posted like two photos in his entire life, and has a rapsheet longer than the rules list in the OP. If you see him post after Oct 29, 2013, please use the report button with extreme prejudice.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So I did my little effort post thing four pages ago in this thread and maybe 6 months back time wise. The result was the creation of our current LOW EFFORT POSTING thread, paired with Photo a Day. I'm curious whether people think it has been a success, or a failure.

FWIW, I've chafed at the rules in Low Effort. I want to be able to chatte more, but you reap with you sow so...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There have indeed been a couple times where I was in the low effort thread and said to myself "gently caress the rules, I'm going to comment on that picture because it's just that good."

But I hate not having POSTING PRIVILEGES so I closed the tab and tried to forget the situation.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

It doesn't seem like it has changed PAD, but it has been long enough that I may have forgotten what it was like before the split. Not having comments in the low effort thread is basically like, let's make a dorkroom tumblr or something. If it is up for discussion it seems like it might as well have the no commenting rule lifted.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

It's basically because SAD was mostly just people who didn't want to give actual GOOD critique but basically just wanted Flickr gold-stars without any constructive discussion.

I mean it wasn't ALL that, but that was a big part of it.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

I miss the opportunity to simply tell someone that they really hit/missed the mark without expanding to a real crit. This is part because :effort: but also because I think a lot goes without saying.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Ric posted:

I miss the opportunity to simply tell someone that they really hit/missed the mark without expanding to a real crit. This is part because :effort: but also because I think a lot goes without saying.

I see where you're coming from, but also there's no critique rules in the genre threads (landscape, portrait, etc), so it's really just the one thread that they can choose to post in where you can't critique them.

So basically no there was no real easy answer but SAD was getting kind of terrible so welp.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I basically treat SAD as a place where I get to see the photos posted in the threads that I don't read, which are often excellent.

But then again I had nothing against the old SAD, but now I don't have to scroll through posts I don't care about. On the other hand, I too have often wanted to say "hey that's a good shot" to someone in SAD but haven't done so.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SoundMonkey posted:

I see where you're coming from, but also there's no critique rules in the genre threads (landscape, portrait, etc), so it's really just the one thread that they can choose to post in where you can't critique them.

So basically no there was no real easy answer but SAD was getting kind of terrible so welp.

Yeah but saying "Oh you can go into the genre threads" isn't a great answer either. I'm not sure you can expect someone to check all the threads with all their chat and what not, and I'm also not sure everyone wants to x-post between genre threads and low effort.

Dunno. It's definitely not an easy answer.

SAD was distracting from PAD.

SAD got dumped because Critique Is A Good Thing.

So we have this weird muzzled thread now.

That either puts people off, or sends them into the genre threads, which forces people to track a larger number of threads.

Has this experiment created more traffic/critique in PAD? Or is it just the same, with less chat in low effort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

God forbid we have to read more threads.