Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005

taco show posted:

I just found three little bug bites in a row on my upper leg and I'm worried the hotel I'm at has bedbugs. I've stripped the sheets and mattress and can't find any evidence. I'm worried I'll take some home with me in my luggage.

Anything else I should be looking for? How do I know what kind of bites I got? Tips?

Check behind the headboard of the bed as well as under picture frames. I'm not really sure that there is a good way to ID an insect bite by itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Some time in the last few years I saw a comedy sketch on TV that featured "the Peanuts gang" but somewhat grown up and in some apartment.
It was kind of disturbing, in that I'm pretty sure they all had giant heads -like the cartoon characters but in real life.
I think Charlie Brown hit his head, perhaps due to the Lucy-holding-the-football gag, and was having delusions about his dog being a WWI flying ace with a talking bird friend. He was maybe bleeding out on the floor?

I really thought it was SNL, but my googling only returns this sort-of funny bit: http://www.hulu.com/watch/435938
Kids in the Hall did some Peanuts-style dancing in "If Elvis Was My Landlord" and I found nothing on UCB or TWKUK. Any ideas?

I honestly may have dreamt it.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Very Strange Things posted:

Some time in the last few years I saw a comedy sketch on TV that featured "the Peanuts gang" but somewhat grown up and in some apartment.
It was kind of disturbing, in that I'm pretty sure they all had giant heads -like the cartoon characters but in real life.
I think Charlie Brown hit his head, perhaps due to the Lucy-holding-the-football gag, and was having delusions about his dog being a WWI flying ace with a talking bird friend. He was maybe bleeding out on the floor?

I really thought it was SNL, but my googling only returns this sort-of funny bit: http://www.hulu.com/watch/435938
Kids in the Hall did some Peanuts-style dancing in "If Elvis Was My Landlord" and I found nothing on UCB or TWKUK. Any ideas?

I honestly may have dreamt it.

Was it this?

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150151954709248

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

BOOM. Thank you. That's definitely the sketch, but I think I'm also mashing it up in my head with another Peanuts premise. Maybe this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6pC03WRcE0

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
Is there still an OkCupid megathread? If so, can I get a link?

If not, is the old one archived somewhere?

Raimundus fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 1, 2013

Diseased Dick Guy
May 14, 2011

The pit is open.
Is there anything that can be done about a horrifically bad driver before they get into an accident? The girl who lives across the street from me drives an SUV and more than a few times she has ran me off the road while I was exiting my own street because she was in the center of the road and somehow didn't see me (I have a sneaking suspicion she is texting at the wheel but I can't be certain.) Today she came around the corner in the center of the road going about 40 on our residential street and ran a stop sign in the process. I had to swerve off the road to avoid her. She just kept going without any acknowledgement. I didn't see her until the last second and I'm scared that some day I or one of my neighbors won't be so lucky. We live on one of those back roads where I could easily see her hitting someone jogging or walking their dogs.

Can a person call the police about something like this? She is scary dangerous but we haven't been in an actual accident. Based on past experience, talking to her isn't going to help. She's also only had her license for about two years which doesn't help matters either.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

Diseased Dick Guy posted:

Can a person call the police about something like this?

Yes. Get some neighbors together and lodge multiple complaints, if you can.

she was in the center of the road

Get a photo of that to include with your complaint.

Edit: Some folks on police forums suggest actually following the driver while you dial the police. It's your neighbor, though, so you'll probably nuke whatever relationship you have with them.

Raimundus fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 2, 2013

Scambl
Jun 1, 2007

Anything you can do, Neil Gaiman can do better.

Is there anything that can be done about a horrifically bad driver before they get into an accident? The girl who lives across the street from me drives an SUV and more than a few times she has ran me off the road while I was exiting my own street because she was in the center of the road and somehow didn't see me (I have a sneaking suspicion she is texting at the wheel but I can't be certain.) Today she came around the corner in the center of the road going about 40 on our residential street and ran a stop sign in the process. I had to swerve off the road to avoid her. She just kept going without any acknowledgement. I didn't see her until the last second and I'm scared that some day I or one of my neighbors won't be so lucky. We live on one of those back roads where I could easily see her hitting someone jogging or walking their dogs.

Can a person call the police about something like this? She is scary dangerous but we haven't been in an actual accident. Based on past experience, talking to her isn't going to help. She's also only had her license for about two years which doesn't help matters either.

Constantly call the cops on her when she does stuff like this, or even when she doesn't. If she gets messed with by cops right out of her neighborhood, she'll at least be careful near her neighborhood. Reckless driving is against the law whether you get into a wreck or not.

My question:
I'm going to the Dota 2 Internationals and want a marker that can write on the top of my metal Alienware laptop. Also I want a marker that can write well on a jersey made of 100% polyester that won't fade away.

Diseased Dick Guy
May 14, 2011

The pit is open.
Thanks both of you for the super helpful advice. I was a little worried that the cops might not be able to do anything because every time this happens she's coming home, so by the time they get there they can't observe her actually doing the reckless driving. I'll just go ahead and keep the police on speed dial from now on. I'm going to take photos, maybe even video, as well. Kind of pissed that didn't occur to me earlier today because I had a perfect vantage point of her doing it when I was walking my dog in the woods.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Thanks both of you for the super helpful advice. I was a little worried that the cops might not be able to do anything because every time this happens she's coming home, so by the time they get there they can't observe her actually doing the reckless driving. I'll just go ahead and keep the police on speed dial from now on. I'm going to take photos, maybe even video, as well. Kind of pissed that didn't occur to me earlier today because I had a perfect vantage point of her doing it when I was walking my dog in the woods.

Hopefully not the 911 number. Just call the non-emergency number unless she actually hits something/someone.

If she is exiting the neighborhood, just call in with the street and direction she is heading along with her plates and a description of the car. Maybe you'll get lucky and there will be a cop in the area.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I'm looking for authoritative (esp. scientific) information about the legibility of numerals in different typefaces. Readability is much less important than legibility, but also helpful. Scientific tests might not be available for fonts not commissioned by governments--I don't know.

The thing is, I have a strong hunch that fixed-width non-lining figures would be best for doing spreadsheets without making errors. But for some reason, everybody says lining figures are best for number-heavy uses. MICR and some programming fonts have impeccable number legibility but no non-lining figures. (For obvious reasons--it would be hosed up.) I feel like some blackletter face might work best. Lots of those have lining figures too though. Any help?

Diseased Dick Guy
May 14, 2011

The pit is open.

Sieg posted:

Hopefully not the 911 number. Just call the non-emergency number unless she actually hits something/someone.

If she is exiting the neighborhood, just call in with the street and direction she is heading along with her plates and a description of the car. Maybe you'll get lucky and there will be a cop in the area.

Thanks. I think the odds are stacked in my favor because I see cops in the immediate area many times a week. I get the feeling this road is kind of a problem, we get a lot of police attention. People regularly complain about stop signs getting run which nearly always results in them promptly posting an officer to just sit and watch until someone does it. Lots of drunk stops too. And yes, no worries, I will definitely be calling the non-emergency line unless it is called for.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Mescal posted:

I'm looking for authoritative (esp. scientific) information about the legibility of numerals in different typefaces. Readability is much less important than legibility, but also helpful. Scientific tests might not be available for fonts not commissioned by governments--I don't know.

The thing is, I have a strong hunch that fixed-width non-lining figures would be best for doing spreadsheets without making errors. But for some reason, everybody says lining figures are best for number-heavy uses. MICR and some programming fonts have impeccable number legibility but no non-lining figures. (For obvious reasons--it would be hosed up.) I feel like some blackletter face might work best. Lots of those have lining figures too though. Any help?

Usability news has a couple of studies, on the number "1"
http://usabilitynews.org/examining-the-legibility-of-the-number-1-and-the-%F7-symbol/

and the number zero:
http://usabilitynews.org/examining-legibility-of-the-letter-e-and-number-0-using-classification-tree-analysis/

Possibly useful to you is a 1912 (!) paper, The relative legibility of different faces of printing types and this site, which aren't numeral-specific.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
How long does it take nipple rings to close up? The nips in question have been pierced for about ten years, and I want to remove them for about a week.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Why does everyone seem to be so shocked when an elite athlete is caught using performance-enhancing drugs? Are people actually surprised or is it all for show? If it's for show, who is the show for? And why are performance-enhancing drugs banned in sports anyway? Illegal drugs are already illegal and if they're using legal drugs then why is that a problem?

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
Sorry if this has been covered already, but google isn't helping me. Does anybody else get a banner ad when browsing the SA front page in mobile? I get an ad for a charity while in safari and chrome on my itouch. It blocks about half the screen. I feel like a douche for complaining about it but I don't have any money to donate anyway.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Why does everyone seem to be so shocked when an elite athlete is caught using performance-enhancing drugs? Are people actually surprised or is it all for show? If it's for show, who is the show for? And why are performance-enhancing drugs banned in sports anyway? Illegal drugs are already illegal and if they're using legal drugs then why is that a problem?

Those aren't small questions. Maybe you should ask D&D?

photomikey posted:

How long does it take nipple rings to close up? The nips in question have been pierced for about ten years, and I want to remove them for about a week.

Retainers!
http://www.painfulpleasures.com/xcart/customer/home.php?cat=11

Otherwise, closing time more or less varies by individual.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

GreenCard78 posted:

I read a short story as a kid that was about an astronaut or someone crash landing on a planet and broke his ship. He ends up meeting some people that live underground in the rocks and are willing to help him fix it. However, on take off, the ship gets going but the people that helped him didn't understand that he wanted to go outward into space and instead the ship is assumed to be programmed to crash into the planet. Does anyone know what I am talking about? The plot may be off a bit, I read it ~13 years ago. Thanks for your help.

You'd probably be better off asking TBB. The identify that story/book thread is insanely good at what they do, and what they do isn't pretty. Since they mostly they read a lot of crappy sci-fi.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

stubblyhead posted:

How about hornets and yellow jackets and the like? Would you be heading to the hospital if you were stung by one of those?

I don't know because I've never been stung by them. Personally I'd rather not find out so I avoid them on principle much like I avoid all tree nuts because walnuts, almonds, and pecans have been various levels of bad over the course of my life. Better safe than sorry as far as things that have a chance of killing me go.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Tiggum posted:

Here's the stupid and small version of the answer:

People are shocked because they're naive. Professional athletes trying to gain an advantage? Criminals being ahead of law enforcement? The people within sport who act shocked do it to cover their rear end... I had no idea that sort of thing was going on or I would never do such a thing.

The reason they're banned is because top athletes can pay top doctors to closely monitor all the weird poo poo they put into their system and treat any side effects. Further down the chain, if drugs are legal, people trying to break in to a sport will just start taking anything they can get their hands on and there will be a lot of deaths. Plenty of top cyclists died from heart attacks in their sleep thanks to having too-thick blood, now think about how many amateur cyclists died and nobody knows why. There are huge medical risks and unless there is a transparent and judicious method of outing and banning drug cheats from the highest competitions, people will take those risks to get there and some of them will die.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Tiggum posted:

Greazeball covered some of this, but a little bit further:

Some people are shocked because they may have had no idea that the person in question was juicing. In my neck of the woods, Ryan Braun was (finally) caught using PEDs. A lot of Brewers fans were surprised because A) he beat the rap before and B) if our star player is juicing, he should be doing a lot better. One of his close friends actually vouched for him, and now he looks like an idiot/rear end in a top hat because of it. And some of that certainly is naivete.

As for the owners/managers, overall, they probably don't want to turn a blind eye to it if they know because of potential fines, suspensions or other negatives that could possibly arise if it is discovered that someone is cheating and they knew about it and didn't do anything.

And that last bit is why it matters. Sure, the substances themselves may be legal, but it's against the rules set forth by the ruling commission of whatever sport we're discussing. Owning an aluminum bat is legal, using it in a professional baseball game is against the rules. So, in that case the show is for the governing bodies and for the fans.

Is it naive to think that professional athletes wouldn't use every option at their disposal to gain whatever edge would lead them to the bigger paycheck, more fame and so on? Yes. But that's a whole other can of worms getting into the spirit of the game and what it should mean to be an athlete.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 2, 2013

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
My dad used to play bass guitar but his MS eventually limited his use of his right hand. He hasn't played in years but one of his buddies said he could string the bass to be played one-handed. I was given the guitar as this buddy and I live in the same city and I'm supposed to meet up with him, but he's also a flake and I've had this thing for over two months now.

Is this something I can do myself? This dude repairs guitars as a hobby I guess so I figured there was some technical skill involved, but if someone knows how I'd like to give it a try. My dad's birthday is coming up in a few weeks so it'd make an awesome present.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
What is the name for those floor-length denim skirts that you only see goth boys wear? Pictured here:

Googling things like "goth skirt" and " denim floor-length skirt" hasn't helped.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

:wtc: How is the only zero with a slash through it ranked 6th-worst out of 19 types of zeros?

420 slash my zeroes erry day, gently caress you usability institute
(that's a cool study though)

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Knightmare posted:

My dad used to play bass guitar but his MS eventually limited his use of his right hand. He hasn't played in years but one of his buddies said he could string the bass to be played one-handed. I was given the guitar as this buddy and I live in the same city and I'm supposed to meet up with him, but he's also a flake and I've had this thing for over two months now.

Is this something I can do myself? This dude repairs guitars as a hobby I guess so I figured there was some technical skill involved, but if someone knows how I'd like to give it a try. My dad's birthday is coming up in a few weeks so it'd make an awesome present.

I was unaware there was a particular stringing technique for playing bass one handed. You just percussively hammer on the frets with your left hand instead of strumming. Maybe installing high output pickups would help too, but I dunno. Did he tell you anything about how to string it?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I recently read about some mosquito-repellent tag that would last up to 48 hours, and if you bought a pack of them, the maker would donate a pack to somewhere in Africa to help fight against malaria. Does anyone know what they were called? I can't seem to find the right Google search terms.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

You're thinking of the Kite Patch.

I want some.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Knightmare posted:

Are you saying he's going to restring it so it's left handed? That would make it even harder for him to play. You can play a right handed (normal) guitar with just a left hand but not just a right hand. Are you sure your dad stopped playing because of the MS? Or was your dad left handed before?

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Binowru posted:

What is the name for those floor-length denim skirts that you only see goth boys wear? Pictured here:

Googling things like "goth skirt" and " denim floor-length skirt" hasn't helped.

This is sad but you mean Phat Pants I think: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phat_pants.

Just to make it clear how cool these are:

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

semicolonsrock posted:

This is sad but you mean Phat Pants I think: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phat_pants.

Just to make it clear how cool these are:

These are pretty clearly not the garment in question. Binowru, I'm not sure it has a specific name (or even a market). I did a lot of similar searching and only found one thing that was even remotely similar, even on websites that explicitly cater to goth fashion (http://www.rivithead.com/catalog/gothic-belt-denim-skirt.html?gclid=CMrx3NLy37gCFcU5QgodpRIAlg). It's entirely possible this dude made it himself.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Project1 posted:

How much, if any, Australian TV shows do New Zealanders watch? Is it like Australia where there is a good mix of US, British, and unwatchable local shows?

We get Home & Away and Neighbours, and we used to get whatever breakfast show Karl Stefanovic was in on one of the higher-numbered channels. That's about it from across the ditch that I know of.

Oh, we had that Outback Jack show a few years ago, so the odd reality show too.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time

mirthdefect posted:

Oh, we had that Outback Jack show a few years ago, so the odd reality show too.

I hadn't heard of that one, so I looked it up. Seems after the show, he moved to America, joined the police, and shot a pregnant woman. :waycool:

Oh, and sorry for the TV exports. If it has to be made at all, we should at least keep it to ourselves.

EDIT: Ok, another actual question. I have a wrecked old laptop. The problem is that the "arms" that attach the screen to the body are gone, but the wires for the screen are still attached and still work. So it's still useable, if you prop the screen up. If I remove those wires and attach an S-Video cable to the S-Video port and run it to a TV, would it be likely to work, or will it bitch that there is no video output?

Project1 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 3, 2013

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

I ask again, is there still an OkCupid megathread, or is that a thing of the past?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Raimundus posted:

I ask again, is there still an OkCupid megathread, or is that a thing of the past?

Pretty sure it got shitcanned due to drama.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

mirthdefect posted:

Pretty sure it got shitcanned due to drama.

That sucks. Is there an equivalent somewhere in the bowels of A/T or E/N, or was that too much for these forums?

I'm not particularly good with the online dating thing.

Raimundus fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 3, 2013

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time

Raimundus posted:

That sucks. Is there an equivalent somewhere in the bowels of A/T or E/N, or was that too much for these forums?

Closest thing is this, I think. That seems to be the only non-mocking thread going right now.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Raimundus posted:

There might be some kind of advice thread, but just not a specific OKC one? See if Lushka's guide to getting dumped thread is still around and that might have something in the OP?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

KnifeWrench posted:

These are pretty clearly not the garment in question. Binowru, I'm not sure it has a specific name (or even a market). I did a lot of similar searching and only found one thing that was even remotely similar, even on websites that explicitly cater to goth fashion (http://www.rivithead.com/catalog/gothic-belt-denim-skirt.html?gclid=CMrx3NLy37gCFcU5QgodpRIAlg). It's entirely possible this dude made it himself.

Thanks, that link is pretty much what I was looking for anyway. I don't know if the guy in the photo made it himself, I just know I've seen that type of garment pop up in a few different places and was wondering just what the hell it was.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

That is some really good reading. Thanks a lot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Schweinhund posted:

Are you saying he's going to restring it so it's left handed? That would make it even harder for him to play. You can play a right handed (normal) guitar with just a left hand but not just a right hand. Are you sure your dad stopped playing because of the MS? Or was your dad left handed before?

The MS has made him left handed, I believe it was a right handed bass before. He has this idea that someone will string it for one-handed and he can play with just one hand. I'm not sure how that'll work. If that's not possible let me know.