Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Just finished re-reading the series. In Dance he uses some variant of "he was not wrong" about once a chapter and it drives me loving insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

He also always mentions how the character is not, in fact, a raven whenever he says "as the raven flies."

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
In his defense, with all the warging going around it's probably best to clarify pre-emptively.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

It was over five score miles to the Wall, as Raven-Symoné flys. Not that Jon Snow was Raven-Symoné.

He was probably Malcolm-Jamal Warner, though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He should take a leaf out of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace's book and have characters rephrase this over and over.

quote:

"What I couldn't work out was how he'd managed to make another man pregnant. I guess we'll never know. So, just to restate, that is something we'll never know, you're not going to find out later."
Just replace "make another man pregnant" with "how to resolve the story", "how to make Dany/Brienne interesting" etc etc.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

ADWD - mummery's everything, really

Alright, Game of Bones writers! It's almost August up in here, so a boning proposal, if you will:

I don't have permissions on the google doc, but for those of us already on there, how about we have something workable up there by the end of the month? I can crack dat whip.

Anyone that isn't on there already and has claimed chapters, I guess you have to talk to thornghost(?) about that!

Anyone that doesn't have a claimed chapter in by the end of the month forfeits it and it goes up for grabs for September.

End of Sept we try to edit that together, just in time for the holidays. Make it a Wild Bones Christmas!

And to not clutter up the thread, we can start a... google hangout, or whatever the poo poo. Or something else.

George Lazenby
Jan 12, 2007

equity posted:

He also always mentions how the character is not, in fact, a raven whenever he says "as the raven flies."

He also constantly refers to items of clothing as 'airy confections'.

The other thing I noticed (just finished ADWD for the first time) is that none of the characters can ever eat anything without grease or fat or sauce or something running down their chins. I wouldn't want to watch GRRM eat that's for sure.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

George Lazenby posted:

The other thing I noticed (just finished ADWD for the first time) is that none of the characters can ever eat anything without grease or fat or sauce or something running down their chins. I wouldn't want to watch GRRM eat that's for sure.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

George Lazenby posted:

I always thought this was to show how gluttonous the upper class were

And so the GRRM feasted on buttered lobster with his fork thrusting vigorously like the tongue of an adder. Crab, lobster, those delicious cheesy buns at Red Lobster and all before him met their miserable end in his gullet. Lobsters juices splashed down his chin, intermingling with his whiskers like a river delta overflowing into a forest and covering the ground with greasy slick liquid.
Juices splashed onto his lobster bib as well. The heraldry of House Martin, an anthropomorphic lobster holding a knife in each claw upon a field of white, coated in the secretions so thick that it was hard to tell how long GRRM has been feasting.
"Now THIS is a Feast for Crows!" GURM said between gluttonous bites of crab leg stewed in butter and cream. No one laughed. The joke was all on them. GRRM simply laughed, the sound of a bike tire having its air let out from a thin puncture in the wheel well.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Remember when you were excited for Tyrion's chapters?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Thanks for the reminder, you absolute fucker.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
Remember when you were excited for A Dance With Dragons?

captain platypus
Aug 30, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER

god drat it

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Anders posted:

2007? Not really, nothing much happened back then.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Anders posted:

November 8, 2005.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Meanwhile, back at the mall...

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Ugh, I just read the final Brienne chapter and "she screamed a word" has got to be the worst cliffhanger of the lot, if only because it's so specific.

el_brio posted:

Mild stroke of poo poo-dick.

Metabolic conditions can actually have quite an impact on cognition in older adults. So can obesity, for that matter...

captain platypus
Aug 30, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Ugh, I just read the final Brienne chapter and "she screamed a word" has got to be the worst cliffhanger of the lot, if only because it's so specific.

Yeah, I didn't get that on first read. I thought the word was "Jaime" and that she was dead or something.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

If your intention was to make me feel sad, you have succeeded.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
But really, where do the whores go.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012
I just finished re-reading Storm of Swords. Having it all fresh isn't going to make Feast any better, is it? These books hit their peak somewhere between "dracaerys" and "Tywin Lannister did not, in the end, poo poo gold" or maybe "Only Cat" and everything after is just a long, painful slide downward only accelerated by GRRM's incredible girth, right? :(

God, I can't even imagine how dull Dance is when Dany already spends half her final chapter fawning over that blue-bearded douchebag. If that was all some of you guys got for a decade no wonder you're... this.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

HaitianDivorce posted:

I just finished re-reading Storm of Swords. Having it all fresh isn't going to make Feast any better, is it? These books hit their peak somewhere between "dracaerys" and "Tywin Lannister did not, in the end, poo poo gold" or maybe "Only Cat" and everything after is just a long, painful slide downward only accelerated by GRRM's incredible girth, right? :(

God, I can't even imagine how dull Dance is when Dany already spends half her final chapter fawning over that blue-bearded douchebag. If that was all some of you guys got for a decade no wonder you're... this.

It will! As will doing a combined re-read. As for Dany...I skip most of her chapters. Her story is just so divorced from Westeros that I can't suffer through it again knowing its outcome at this point. Hers are the only ones I skip.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Feast is much better on a re-read, even without combining.

Dany could have been written out of the books and nothing would suffer for it. :colbert:

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Aurain posted:

Feast is much better on a re-read, even without combining.

Dany could have been written out of the books and nothing would suffer for it. :colbert:

Just because it isn't the worst book in the series anymore, it doesn't make it a good book.

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

captain platypus posted:

Yeah, I didn't get that on first read. I thought the word was "Jaime" and that she was dead or something.

Hang on, is the word she shouts not "Jaime"? What other theories are there?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
GRRM has confirmed she said "Sword!".

Lady Stoneheart gave her the choice to either kill Jaime or die as a traitor, and then furthered simplified her choice as "the sword or the noose". Brienne initially refused to choose, so she was strung up with her companions. However, she couldn't bring herself to let Pod and Hyle die because of her stubborn devotion to Jaime, so she yelled "sword" and agreed to kill Jaime. That's why the next time you see Brienne in ADWD, she lies to Jaime and leads him away from his men and into a trap.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Ramsay Snow was in the pub last night.

I spoiled him on the bit where he forces Theon to go down on his wife.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Junkenstein posted:

His reaction?

Paxicon
Dec 22, 2007
Sycophant, unless you don't want me to be

Junkenstein posted:

Did you tell him her age`?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I didn't actually go up to a stranger and talk about these loving books.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Junkenstein posted:

You were no true wildcard, ser.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Anders posted:

Just because it isn't the worst book in the series anymore, it doesn't make it a good book.
I'm not sure how exactly that relates to my comment because I didn't say it's a good book nor did I say it's no longer the worst ASOIAF novel.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
AFFC is better than both ADWD and ACOK.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

In It For The Tank posted:

GRRM has confirmed she said "Sword!".

Lady Stoneheart gave her the choice to either kill Jaime or die as a traitor, and then furthered simplified her choice as "the sword or the noose". Brienne initially refused to choose, so she was strung up with her companions. However, she couldn't bring herself to let Pod and Hyle die because of her stubborn devotion to Jaime, so she yelled "sword" and agreed to kill Jaime. That's why the next time you see Brienne in ADWD, she lies to Jaime and leads him away from his men and into a trap.

I completely forgot that the cliffhanger was (semi) resolved in Dance. My faulty memory wildcarded me!

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Junkenstein posted:

Uh no you drunkenly yell at strangers about these books, come on

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

HaitianDivorce posted:

Still chugging away on my rereread. Still skipping over Kaleeeeeseeee chapters entirely. Currently Stannis is being a oval office to his aging Maester.

Leaving out her chapters really drives home the fact that her storyline, beyond the short bit about Robert wanting her to get all stabbied, is completely irrelevant for 5 loving books. Just kill her the gently caress off gurm. The series would be better for that.

Holy Calamity! posted:

It will! As will doing a combined re-read. As for Dany...I skip most of her chapters. Her story is just so divorced from Westeros that I can't suffer through it again knowing its outcome at this point. Hers are the only ones I skip.

Yep.

Edit: we should start a grass roots campaign for gurm to kill her off in the very first chapter of WoW. In fact that is all WoW needs to be: just Dany dying.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 2, 2013

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

She's going to die by drowning in diarrhoea in vivid detail.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012
I've got ADWD by the toilet and have been slowly re-reading it only while on the john, skipping sections/chapters as I see fit; so I won't be reading about Dany making GBS threads while I'm making GBS threads.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Aurain posted:

She's going to die by drowning in diarrhoea in vivid detail.

I want (expect) nothing less than tubgirl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Apparently there's a book called The Iron King by Maurice Druon that GRRM stole was inspired by, and it's got tons of great reviews.

Plus it's French so if you can read French then you don't have to wait for the next translation.