Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
forkis
Sep 15, 2011

So uh, just curious to see if something's screwy in my map folder or if it's the mod's fault - is anyone else using ck2+ getting this?

Basically it's a (very slow!) wormhole to Polotsk - the Kingdom of Ghana has been using it to declare province conquests on Lithuania off and on for the past century. Before I finally noticed and consoled them to stop they had 80% warscore in the most recent one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

forkis posted:

So uh, just curious to see if something's screwy in my map folder or if it's the mod's fault - is anyone else using ck2+ getting this?

Basically it's a (very slow!) wormhole to Polotsk - the Kingdom of Ghana has been using it to declare province conquests on Lithuania off and on for the past century. Before I finally noticed and consoled them to stop they had 80% warscore in the most recent one.

Yeah, that's a map bug. Not sure if the unofficial patches in the CK2+ thread on the Paradox forums fix it since I still have it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
You know, I was wondering why my ducal kinsmen were eating parts of Lithuania. I just figured one of my marriages had gotten lucky while I wasn't paying attention.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

forkis posted:

Why'd you console them to stop? All that work digging the tunnel: wasted!

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Flesnolk posted:

So I had a few miscellaneous political questions. First, I finally had enough of the constant civil wars and murder attempts kicked up mostly by Spain a good ways back in game time, and booted crown authority back up to Absolute because it says right on the tin vassals are not allowed to fight their own wars, and yet they keep doing exactly that. Sure, it's been less often, but there's still continual wars between vassals, be it rebellions against each other or moves on their titles, and even vassals attacking outside states on their own. Barcelona finished off the Almoravids for me by holy warring for their last holdings a long time ago in-game, while the king of Jerusalem just kicked the Pope out of Jerusalem proper. Why is the absolute crown authority so... well, not absolute? I can't help missing being able to just order vassals to cut their poo poo out in the GoT mod.

Also, is there any reliable way to keep peasant revolts in check, or do anything about diseases running rampant? It's probably because of just how massively my empire's expanded (not pictured: Iceland and the rest of Scandinavia, all of Southwest Africa; no idea how frickin' Ruthenia of all places took a chunk of Spain from me but their king is my kinsman and ally, and has fought well against the Mongols, so I don't really want to go to war with him if I can get that land back another way) but it feels like a revolt kicks off somewhere every couple minutes. I think there've been five to ten this last in-game year, and in my last war against the Mongols my doomstack had to spend the rest of the year after the Khan surrendered sailing around Africa, Spain and Scandinavia kicking in peasant heads. I'm a little fed up, but I also can't have my chaplain and marshal bunnyhopping all over Britannia in hopes the realm will stabilise more.

I'm guessing that you have absolute crown authority for Brittania, meaning that those rules are only going to apply to all the kingdoms within whatever is currently de jure Brittania. So if Aragon hasn't de jure drifted into Brittania yet, whatever their crown authority laws are will apply to Barcelona hence why they were able to war the Almovarids.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

forkis posted:

That's awesome -- a swarm of angry African tribesmen suddenly materializing in Lithuania as if by magic. I can only imagine what the local pagans must have thought.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah, that's a map bug. Not sure if the unofficial patches in the CK2+ thread on the Paradox forums fix it since I still have it.

I'm pretty sure the unofficial patches (at least the latest one) fix it, because I haven't seen that issue in my CK2+ game.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Hmm, I captured Amalfi thinking it would be a cash cow for my King of Sicily game, however whenever those damned patricians get back into power, and they always do, rather quickly no matter who you put in charge of the County, they seem to pay a pitiful amount of tax?

They have that drat 25% Patrician modifier to tax payments. Is there any way of me fixing it somehow to get that County to generate more tax for me instead of lining the Patricians pockets? I keep them bribed and toss them an honourary title every now and then, but they seem to like to change ruler a lot.

They do however provide me with an absolute truckload of boats for my wars, which is immensely handy to go warring about the Mediterranean in, so I would at least like to keep them within my realm.

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 2, 2013

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I have become Caliph of Sunni and Shia. What.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
On the topic of ~pretty borders~, does anyone else try to de jure drift duchies around in order to make kingdom boundaries prettier? I hate out-of-place duchies like Skane and Cornwall and try to drift them into Sweden and England, and I try to drift away dinky little kingdoms like Navarre or Brittany.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

jpmeyer posted:

On the topic of ~pretty borders~, does anyone else try to de jure drift duchies around in order to make kingdom boundaries prettier? I hate out-of-place duchies like Skane and Cornwall and try to drift them into Sweden and England, and I try to drift away dinky little kingdoms like Navarre or Brittany.

Do what now? Drift Duchies?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
So I'm noticing a lot of heresies springing up, check the moral authority of Catholicism and it's somewhere around 50%. What's going on? Well, turns out there's an anti-pope. A female anti-pope. Living in Rome. Landless. With the title King-Bishop for some reason. Everyone loves her so my plot to kill ger gets like two supporters, the current actual pope being one of them. Then I get possibly the best event I've ever seen 'Pope Agapetus VII has told everyone about my plot to Kill King-Bishop Lucezia after drinking too much in a local tavern. I should have never gotten that drunken fool involved!'.

What even. I'm so confused on so many levels.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Rapdawg posted:

I have become Caliph of Sunni and Shia. What.

You repaired the great schism.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ThomasPaine posted:

So I'm noticing a lot of heresies springing up, check the moral authority of Catholicism and it's somewhere around 50%. What's going on? Well, turns out there's an anti-pope. A female anti-pope. Living in Rome. Landless. With the title King-Bishop for some reason. Everyone loves her so my plot to kill ger gets like two supporters, the current actual pope being one of them. Then I get possibly the best event I've ever seen 'Pope Agapetus VII has told everyone about my plot to Kill King-Bishop Lucezia after drinking too much in a local tavern. I should have never gotten that drunken fool involved!'.

What even. I'm so confused on so many levels.

I think the explanation is that the previous Pope had a bastard child, and that child gained a claim to the Papacy. It's apparently surprisingly common.

I have no idea why she's a King-Bishop, through.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
This is why I love Crusader Kings. Even when it's buggy it just makes it better.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

So in my Rus game I'm two provinces away from being able to form Russia. I could either press one claim for one of my dukes and fabricate a second for myself against a pair of tiny tribes or snatch up a pair of counties from Poland. I can command up to 35K troops to Poland's 13K or so, so I went that route. Fast forward about four years and it's a total stalemate. It turns out that every single province in Poland has a supply limit in the hundreds, so by the time I manage to siege two provinces my army has whittled down to 1/8th its original size and I still hadn't even seen any Polish armies. By the time I regroup and get some mercenaries together they've strolled in and taken back the sieged land before disappearing again. This process repeats itself two more times before I finally meet up with and completely destroy their army. Between the fighting and the attrition I'm down to 2K troops, and then out of nowhere am stomped by a fresh 8K stack of Polish troops.

Should I just white peace out of this war, conquer some of my other neighbors to raise my levy numbers, and try again with a bigger force? I could try attacking with several smaller stacks but the supply limit is so low that attrition will take them right below the number of troops needed to successfully siege. I can't even marry and stab my way into Poland because they won't accept marriages from an infidel.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yes, and because they are so understanding I'm not going to force them to convert until I've dealt with the Miaphysite, Monophysite, and Nestorian menace. The year 1000 has not yet occurred, but our goals are strong as is our faith.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Inside Outside posted:

So in my Rus game I'm two provinces away from being able to form Russia. I could either press one claim for one of my dukes and fabricate a second for myself against a pair of tiny tribes or snatch up a pair of counties from Poland. I can command up to 35K troops to Poland's 13K or so, so I went that route. Fast forward about four years and it's a total stalemate. It turns out that every single province in Poland has a supply limit in the hundreds, so by the time I manage to siege two provinces my army has whittled down to 1/8th its original size and I still hadn't even seen any Polish armies. By the time I regroup and get some mercenaries together they've strolled in and taken back the sieged land before disappearing again. This process repeats itself two more times before I finally meet up with and completely destroy their army. Between the fighting and the attrition I'm down to 2K troops, and then out of nowhere am stomped by a fresh 8K stack of Polish troops.

Should I just white peace out of this war, conquer some of my other neighbors to raise my levy numbers, and try again with a bigger force? I could try attacking with several smaller stacks but the supply limit is so low that attrition will take them right below the number of troops needed to successfully siege. I can't even marry and stab my way into Poland because they won't accept marriages from an infidel.

How close are you to Military Organisation level 4 (I think it's level 4, anyway)? That makes the supply limits in unreformed pagan-held counties shoot right up.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
The logic that assigns titles to characters kind of breaks down in places (see also: people who are married to adventurers getting "Leader of <spouse>'s Host" because there are no consort titles anymore, and anything at all having to do with Papal bastards.)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I think the explanation is that the previous Pope had a bastard child, and that child gained a claim to the Papacy. It's apparently surprisingly common.

I have no idea why she's a King-Bishop, through.

I checked and she had no claims and no lands and wasn't related to any pope current or previous. And she was listed as a full antipope despite being a landless courtier in the Pope's court. It's actually so funny I don't mind but obviously a bug I guess. I ended up just assassinating her via the diplomacy screen and because she's technically only a courtier it cost like 50 gold and had an 80% success rate.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Allyn posted:

How close are you to Military Organisation level 4 (I think it's level 4, anyway)? That makes the supply limits in unreformed pagan-held counties shoot right up.

I've been investing a lot into that, so I'd say that I'm probably pretty close. I'll put more research into that and try again in a few years.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

How common are anti-Popes, I don't think I've ever actually seen one in a game I'm playing.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Dr. Tough posted:

How common are anti-Popes, I don't think I've ever actually seen one in a game I'm playing.

Not really very unless you make one.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Looking around for some lightweight mods that don't mess around with cultures or the map for maximum compatibility with the EU4 converter. So far there's Better Armies and some parts of VIET, but does anyone have any recommendations?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I would honestly love if there were some way to actually do that, similar to the Orthodox/Catholicism one.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Beamed posted:

I would honestly love if there were some way to actually do that, similar to the Orthodox/Catholicism one.

I'm no expert, but I'm under the impression that schism is unmendable. The Catholics and the Orthodox would "only" have to agree on theological issues. The Shiite on the other hand think the Sunni stole the Caliphate from Ali (and later killed him?) There is simply nothing that can be done anymore.

By all means, correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Is there anything fun I can do with Rome playing as a Greek Orthodox ruler in the Byzantine Empire?

I conquered it because it was beside my territory and it seemed like an amusing idea, and plonked a very happy religious chap on there. Seems to have made all the Christian nations a bit uppity though, they've done a couple of unsuccessful Holy Wars to take it back.

Beyond it being a Holy Site for Orthodoxy and providing a tidy income, can I do anything else? What about these anti-popes? Can I set up one of those for a laugh to see what happens?

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Tindahbawx posted:

Is there anything fun I can do with Rome playing as a Greek Orthodox ruler in the Byzantine Empire?

I conquered it because it was beside my territory and it seemed like an amusing idea, and plonked a very happy religious chap on there. Seems to have made all the Christian nations a bit uppity though, they've done a couple of unsuccessful Holy Wars to take it back.

Beyond it being a Holy Site for Orthodoxy and providing a tidy income, can I do anything else? What about these anti-popes? Can I set up one of those for a laugh to see what happens?

Controlling Rome is one of the requirements for mending the Great Schism and restoring the Roman Empire.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've been playing CKII off and on ever since I got it last year, but only picked it up again recently during the steam sale after grabbing the Republic and the Old Gods. I was very excited about the possibilities that come with trade empires in the Republic but I felt like I was missing something and it seemed a bit boring. Is it possible to start as a non-trading republic nation and become one? That seems like it would be more interesting.

I was blown away by the Old Gods though, playing as a pagan in the early start is really fun and hectic.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Great Lakes Log posted:

I've been playing CKII off and on ever since I got it last year, but only picked it up again recently during the steam sale after grabbing the Republic and the Old Gods. I was very excited about the possibilities that come with trade empires in the Republic but I felt like I was missing something and it seemed a bit boring. Is it possible to start as a non-trading republic nation and become one? That seems like it would be more interesting.

I was blown away by the Old Gods though, playing as a pagan in the early start is really fun and hectic.

Yeah, merchant republics are a nice idea but there's a lot more they could have done with them. I've never found playing as one interesting enough to play a full game to 1453.

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples

Inside Outside posted:

Don't siege. Assault the provinces down, then retreat back into your territory. If they try to take the provinces back, destroy them. If they don't, wait for ticking warscore.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Tindahbawx posted:

Do what now? Drift Duchies?

De jure drift can happen at the kingdom or empire level, so I would do things like grant the (vassal) duchy of Skane to the (vassal) king of Sweden as Emperor of Scandanavia because I thought it was silly that this little piece at the tip counted as Denmark rather than Sweden. Then in 100 years it would officially become part of Sweden.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Non Sequitur posted:

Don't siege. Assault the provinces down, then retreat back into your territory. If they try to take the provinces back, destroy them. If they don't, wait for ticking warscore.

This. Basically all the Eastern European pagan counties have nightmarishly low supply limits, it's better to just burn some troops on assaults than to lose the entirety of your army with a couple of sieges.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Great, I think I broke it...

Can you think of anything specific that would cause a pop-up box with no text and no 'OK'(So you can't dismiss the thing) to pop up days after you start?

Been trying to make sure everyone gets raiding and rivers, everyone gets to go on Adventures, everyone can serve on the council, all females can get usually male-only events(You'd be amazed how much is barred via 'male_only' or 'is_female=no')...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Great Lakes Log posted:

Is it possible to start as a non-trading republic nation and become one? That seems like it would be more interesting.

Yes, in my current game I accidentally converted the kingdom of Bulgaria to a merchant republic while it was part of the Byzantine Empire. I did it by handing off a province to a mayor, then stealing the province back. The province had been changed so that the capital was a city instead of a castle which can't be undone by a player so I gave that province to my heir. Then I pressed my heir's claim on Bulgaria and the result is that when I took his place, he had converted the entire country to a merchant republic.

I kind of wish I had managed to make him emperor just to see the chaos that this would make...

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
How do you deal with a problem like Skotland?

Typical that the first Queen was 'Attractive', with a Diplomacy score over 20. :rolleyes:
By that point, there really weren't many people I could invite to the plot.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Bloodly posted:

Can you think of anything specific that would cause a pop-up box with no text and no 'OK'(So you can't dismiss the thing) to pop up days after you start?

One of the events you changed is probably missing a bracket somewhere - that will usually cause that effect.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Bloodly posted:

Been trying to make sure everyone gets raiding and rivers, everyone gets to go on Adventures, everyone can serve on the council, all females can get usually male-only events(You'd be amazed how much is barred via 'male_only' or 'is_female=no')...

Maybe a missing bracket somewhere? This program will check for errors.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Is there like a YouTube playlist of the music or something like that? I own the Hymns to the Old Gods dlc and am playing as a Norse guy, but don't think I've actually heard any different music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

elf help book posted:

Is there like a YouTube playlist of the music or something like that? I own the Hymns to the Old Gods dlc and am playing as a Norse guy, but don't think I've actually heard any different music.

Here's a mod to allow all of the game's music all the time: http://www.dragoninstall.com/junk/AllMusic-v2.7z

Though if anyone has any additional music that fits well with the game I'd be all over that.

• Locked thread