Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

Do you have a friend to play with that also does not play online or in tournaments?

Yeah, I have a couple friends who might be interested, and who also have no fighting game skill beyond casual Smash Bros. From the sounds of it, I'll probably get my money's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Does Sega even have money for that? I thought they were fairly bad off financially at the moment.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Does Sega even have money for that? I thought they were fairly bad off financially at the moment.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/31/4575194/sega-sammy-q1-2014-financial-results

They are the kings of Pachinko slots. They are quite fine.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

You'd think so given their game output but they're actually making a shitload of money off pachinko.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

The game I've been working on just came out yesterday on the eShop, here's the cheesy-rear end trailer Nintendo made for the launch:

Cloudberry Kingdom Launch Trailer

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

It won't have Wonderful 101 or Bayonetta 2, though.

That doesn't mean that Platinum won't be making games for the PS4, either. Especially since Konami just released an in-depth survey asking what people would like in a sequel to Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, which I doubt is going to be a current-gen game or a cross-gen one. Platinum are one of the few Japanese developers that really excelled at developing for the 360 and PS3, so they probably want to start making games on the latest hardware.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

TaurusOxford posted:

Save up and get the PS4.

numbs posted:

Don't get it. Save your money and get the PS4.

Great. None of the games he mentioned will ever be on PS4 so I'm not sure what's the point of these posts are.

Edit: nevermind, just read the entire post.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 2, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

Great. None of the games he mentioned will ever be on PS4 so I'm not sure what's the point of these posts are.

Because the Wii has been out for a year and the library rivals a launch console?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Kurtofan posted:

He only mentioned those games because they're apparently the only worthwhile games on Wii U and he needs to be convinced to buy the console at its lowered cost. Nothing wrong with the advice he was given.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Amppelix posted:

Get nintendo consoles only if you want to play nintendo games, otherwise you're setting yourself up for disappointment when none of the good multiplatform games come out on it.
This is the only advice you need. You're not gonna be picking up a Wii U to play the latest and greatest in multiplatform games. You're gonna buy it to play Smash Bros and Zelda. Ask yourself if $200 is worth the entry.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Because the Wii has been out for a year and the library rivals a launch console?

It won't be the case by the time PS4one come out though, a lot of games are coming out in the coming months.
Edit:

illcendiary posted:

He only mentioned those games because they're apparently the only worthwhile games on Wii U and he needs to be convinced to buy the console at its lowered cost. Nothing wrong with the advice he was given.

I didn't see the end of his post, sorry for jumping at people's throats.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 2, 2013

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
And here's the cover art for Wind Waker HD!

I like it more than the original, it has more detail without looking more crammed. Wonderful colors, too.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

horriblePencilist posted:

I like it more than the original, it has more detail without looking more crammed. Wonderful colors, too.

That's the Japanese box art, I wouldn't bank on it being the US/Europe box art.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

It won't be the case by the time PS4one come out though, a lot of games are coming out in the coming months.
A few first party games are coming out by the end of this year but the PS4 and XBox One should still end up having more overall titles available within 3-6 months of launching.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

A few first party games are coming out by the end of this year but the PS4 and XBox One should still end up having more overall titles available within 3-6 months of launching.

And none of them will be smash bros or Mario Kart, or will come out on PC, so it means gently caress all to me.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

horriblePencilist posted:

That's really good. My only gripe is that the King of Red Lions is on the box twice.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Aolsux posted:

I'm debating on grabbing the $199 basic model going on sale tomorrow. Please re-assure me that NSMBU/MH3/Pikmin 3/Earthbound is worth the cost. I was going to get a ps4/xbone, but this is more affordable.

Go for it. Lotta great games coming out fairly soon

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bobnumerotres posted:

And none of them will be smash bros or Mario Kart, or will come out on PC, so it means gently caress all to me.
That wasn't what I was talking about though. It's dishonest to tell a potential Wii U buyer that "lots of games are coming" when Nintendo has had trouble even getting their own games developed and out the door on time, and they are one of the few major publishers left that are putting content out for the Wii U.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
A prospective buyer just needs to think about how he or she plays games, really. The importance of multiplatform games is a valid point to consider, but there are many others.

- About how many new-release games do you play each year?
- How many games do you play at one time?
- How much time do you tend to spend on a single game?
- Are there any genres you especially like or hate?
- Do you tend to be a single or multi-console user? Do you keep old consoles around?
- Is online multiplayer important to you?
- Is local multiplayer a part of your current lifestyle?

Etc. And of course there's the obligatory "how much do you care about Nintendo games/characters." Ask yourself how the Wii U/PS4/Xbox meets your needs in those areas.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Minidust posted:

A prospective buyer just needs to think about how he or she plays games, really. The importance of multiplatform games is a valid point to consider, but there are many others.

- About how many new-release games do you play each year?
- How many games do you play at one time?
- How much time do you tend to spend on a single game?
- Are there any genres you especially like or hate?
- Do you tend to be a single or multi-console user? Do you keep old consoles around?
- Is online multiplayer important to you?
- Is local multiplayer a part of your current lifestyle?

Etc. And of course there's the obligatory "how much do you care about Nintendo games/characters." Ask yourself how the Wii U/PS4/Xbox meets your needs in those areas.

Yeah that's quite true and I think something that isn't mentioned enough. I see a lot of gamers these days, they binge on a game for a day or two, finish it up and then move onto their next game. I never really played videogames like that, even as a kid with rentals. It would take a special game for me to put more than two hours into the game a day. Otherwise I just play for an hour and go do other stuff. I think that's why the "lack of quality games" for Wii and such didn't bother me. Especially since I played Mario Kart Wii possibly more than any other game aside from Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy IV.

I rarely play more than one game at a time as well unless that game is something casual like a sports title. So let's say X comes out around the same time as Mario Kart 8. I'd buy both and play both but if it was a choice between X and say the next Zelda, I'd have to play through X first before touching Zelda.

Everyone has different gaming habits.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Between the 3DS, Wii U, and PC I currently have more games than I have time for and the Wii U games I want haven't even come out yet. So yeah the system definitely suits my habits.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

WendigoJohnson posted:

That's the Japanese box art, I wouldn't bank on it being the US/Europe box art.

The US box art is gonna be the same except Link will be scowling.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Regy Rusty posted:

Between the 3DS, Wii U, and PC I currently have more games than I have time for and the Wii U games I want haven't even come out yet. So yeah the system definitely suits my habits.

This is me as well. I will likely end up buying a PS4 in a few years time after a drop, but I mostly bought the Wii U because I'm a sucker for Nintendo.

Also most games these days end up on PC anyways, except for console exclusives. I think the first Uncharted/Gran Turismo or Red Dead sequel will push me to buy a PS4 then and there.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So gamestop just called to inform me that they put me on the preorder for the wrong Pikmin 3 SKU so I won't be getting it early.

I'm pretty upset despite acknowledging that it's just a extra couple days. :sigh:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So gamestop just called to inform me that they put me on the preorder for the wrong Pikmin 3 SKU so I won't be getting it early.

I'm pretty upset despite acknowledging that it's just a extra couple days. :sigh:

Isn't it just one day? Isn't Pikman coming out Sunday?

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

Yeah it comes out Sunday but it's still pretty lame that Gamestop screwed him out of early access which was the only real benefit of buying it from there.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
To any Canadian goons who are wavering on the fence for a WiiU, according to the weekly flyer Best Buy will be selling the WiiU Deluxe with Pikmin3 for 349.99. If you reserve online and do an instore pick up you get a 10 dollar gift card that you can use to partially pay for a 20 dollar eshop card and essentially get earthbound for free. I have to admit this might be the offer that pushes me over the edge and picking one up as I have been debating it for a while.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

Yeah, comes up midnight tonight. Had the day cleared off for it though so feeling bitter about it.

Like I said, I totally acknowledge it being small and not a big deal. Just a massive bummer.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Space Cadet posted:

To any Canadian goons who are wavering on the fence for a WiiU, according to the weekly flyer Best Buy will be selling the WiiU Deluxe with Pikmin3 for 349.99. If you reserve online and do an instore pick up you get a 10 dollar gift card that you can use to partially pay for a 20 dollar eshop card and essentially get earthbound for free. I have to admit this might be the offer that pushes me over the edge and picking one up as I have been debating it for a while.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/-/b0001985.aspx?path=5c2ec424f5875dcc097860a7c1a98233en02&SearchPageIndex=1

Dang, Nintendo Land *and* Pikmin 3. Basically you're getting the console for $249 plus two games if you want to rationalize it.

Also for two more days, if you trade in five games to EB with a credit value of at least $8 (XB360, PS3, PSV, Wii, WiiU, DS and 3DS accepted) you can get $100 credit towards a Wii U (or PS4/XB1). Trade 10 games for a $200 credit, 15 games for a $300 credit. So if you you want a Wii U and want to also clear some shelf space that's a good way to do it.

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW
I'm looking to get just one new game for my Wii U. I have ZombiU and the new super Mario. Any recommendations? I want a game I can sit and play for hours, with good online play along with a good story.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

numbs posted:

I'm looking to get just one new game for my Wii U. I have ZombiU and the new super Mario. Any recommendations? I want a game I can sit and play for hours, with good online play along with a good story.

I have only seen like two people out of like 50 say they didn't have an absolute blast playing Lego City Undercover. I haven't played more than 10 minutes of it but based on others recommendations you probably won't go wrong with it.

Sonic All-Stars Transformed is the best racing game out right now.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

numbs posted:

Sounds like Monster Hunter may fit except for the good story part.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Level Slide posted:

Didn't Itoi say that the Mother series ends with 3? That said, I wouldn't mind him doing the writing for another unrelated game. How was that bass fishing game, anyway? The one with Shigesato Itoi's name on it.

Itoi made two bass fishing games, one for SFC and one for N64.

The SFC version plays things pretty straight, as far as I can tell, and you could download extra tournament events and whatnot via Satellaview and then add them to the game by sticking the memory pack into a lot on top of the cart, Super Game Boy style.

I haven't played the N64 game but from what I gather it's a bit wackier, with the little cartoon characters that appear on the box art being actual characters in the game. I think it was the game they used to launch the Rumble Pak in Japan, too.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

It's a very different game, but one could argue Need for Speed Most wanted is the best racing game on WiiU:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aqNUG05auQ
Definitely look into Pikmin 3, and Call of Duty Black Ops is the best FPS on the system.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

.TakaM posted:

It's a very different game, but one could argue Need for Speed Most wanted is the best racing game on WiiU:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aqNUG05auQ
Definitely look into Pikmin 3, and Call of Duty Black Ops is the best FPS on the system.

Yeah to be fair I should be clear that Sonic is the best kart racing game. Everyone I know who has NFS loves it a lot so it's probably just as good. If you like racing games there's choice then on the Wii U :eng101:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Toki Tori 2 is easily the best game on the eShop.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Yeah to be fair I should be clear that Sonic is the best kart racing game. Everyone I know who has NFS loves it a lot so it's probably just as good. If you like racing games there's choice then on the Wii U :eng101:

Though to be fair, if you want to play Sonic Kart online you should probably get it on Steam if possible. The Wii U scene for that game is dead.

George Lazenby
Jan 12, 2007

bilperkins2 posted:

The game I've been working on just came out yesterday on the eShop, here's the cheesy-rear end trailer Nintendo made for the launch:

Cloudberry Kingdom Launch Trailer

Hey, I just downloaded this last night! Really like the concept and look of it. Only had a chance to play a few minutes, I can tell I'm gonna have a lot of fun with it. Once I've got today's jobs done I'll get to sit down with it properly. Congrats man!

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
I just want to say that I love the art direction of the cutscenes in Cloudberry Kingdom and would love to see an entire game that looked like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

Chip Cheezum posted:

I just want to say that I love the art direction of the cutscenes in Cloudberry Kingdom and would love to see an entire game that looked like that.

You might like Okage: Shadow King for the PS2. It may be kinda tough to get a hold of these days, though.

• Locked thread