Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fart Pipe posted:

Just 3 things from the first cruise night Ive been to in years. First one my truck has been to and I forgot to take a picture :/

I miss my Coupe GT :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

IOwnCalculus posted:

Speaking of cars that would kill you as soon as let you look at them, have a cutaway of a 930.

The 1967 L88 Corvette had to be right up there. It was a 550 HP race engine in a car that generated lots of high-speed lift and came with skinny as gently caress pre-radial tires. At least the later L88/ZL1 Corvettes had wider tires and didn't behave like an airplane wing at high speeds. :supaburn:

Christ, look at the tires on this thing:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Das Volk posted:

Remember that guy who won one of these in some company contest? Ever notice how you don't hear from him anymore?

Haha, are you serious?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yeah there was some guy who made a thread, or maybe it was a series of posts in the AI awesome poo poo thread where he won a replica Cobra. Everyone made the jokes about how he was going to kill himself with it and then a couple of weeks later he stopped posting. :ohdear:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I remember the posts but I didn't realize he'd stopped posting. Oh my.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Team140 posted:

Yup. The Ramchargers were probably the battiest bunch of gearheads during that time and came up with some outrageous cars. Their first was "High and Mighty" in 1958 which consisted of this for power:

...and this to tell you when to shift:

That's pretty damned AI if you ask me!

The best part of the Ramchargers was they were young Chrysler engineers who raced on their off time with support from the factory. They showed up incognito with High & Mighty, people thought it was a hilarious joke. Unfortunately they had a whole engineering department behind them and whipped major rear end with it.

Link

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Recently found a youtube of one of those races:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCnEvX5A77Y

I guess in theory it's nice, but it was like the most boring racetrack I've ever seen. All square uninteresting turns, no spectators at all from what I could see, every part of the circuit looked like every other. Huge walls lining the entire thing. Like the opposite of everything that makes Monaco fun.

It's no worse than the Ceasar's Palace Grand Prix.

Sorry for the low-res. It was so boring that no one took photos of it.

Seriously..a parking lot. It's autox with F1 cars.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Some cars from Varadero, Cuba:

This car appears to have truck or winter tires...

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

neckbeard posted:

Some cars from Varadero, Cuba:

It's a Tracker/Sidekick with some sort of (military?) Jeep nose nicely grafted on. :psyduck:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Since when did Cuba get an Autozone?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Team140 posted:

...and this to tell you when to shift:

Loving the 5.5k RPM redline on a race engine. How far we've come. :allears:

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Saw this little beauty today. Plate says MINT M.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Jesus christ it's not even an autocross. Autocrosses have much more inspired course designs. Who does something like that? Who invests money in something like that?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

bung posted:

Saw this little beauty today. Plate says MINT M.

what's that colour called?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

neckbeard posted:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=bmw+mint+green

:q:

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Well I feel even more stupid than I normally do. I was thinking mint like 'mint condition' not mint green...

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

neckbeard posted:

Well I feel even more stupid than I normally do. I was thinking mint like 'mint condition' not mint green...
To be fair, the only reason I'd already found that was because I was curious which they meant.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

See, to me it almost looked like someone took a Laguna Seca Blue car and photoshopped it a bit. I didn't realize that "Mint Green" is apparently an actual BMW color.

Of course, LSB is one hell of a pretty color.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

neckbeard posted:

Evergreen

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/automobiles-sale/161829-2000-bmw-z3-m-coupe-rare-evergreen-kw-coilovers-low-miles-seattle.html

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Hunh, so it is. That's what I get for trusting a BMW owner!

Edit: Actually, it may be either. Mint green was paint code 097, evergreen is 358, and they're annoyingly similar.

I'd guess it's mint, though, because it appears to be the lighter of the two. And the license plate.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 2, 2013

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

The guys at Famoso are putting this back together, aren't they? Also love the Phoenix repop Firestones from Coker on it.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

VikingSkull posted:

The guys at Famoso are putting this back together, aren't they? Also love the Phoenix repop Firestones from Coker on it.

Here are some more pics, and a write-up on it. There was an article on it in the latest Hot Rod mag too which is where I saw it first. Thank god they aren't going to clean up that patina.

http://bangshift.com/blog/car-feature-zorros-charger-an-unrestored-1960s-gasser-that-still-goes-bottom-10s-and-keeps-em-guessing.html

:fap::fap:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I'm not really big into drag racing and going in straight lines but holy gently caress that has to be the best looking drag car I've ever seen.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yeah that thing is absolutely stunning. Wow.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
That bumper sticker.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Chinatown posted:

That bumper sticker.

I know. Nailed it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

This car would be perfect with old style nevada plates (the all blue ones)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
The documentary on the old cars in Cuba is called Yank Tanks and it is awesome.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0312048/

Unfortunately its not on Netflix anymore but its worth tracking down. The fabrication those guys are doing by hand with ancient tools is absolutely breathtaking.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Amazon has it, but not for streaming - DVD and VHS only. :smith:

The only streaming site I've managed to find for it is flixfling - which looks to be a little questionable with the legality. The "free trial" also requires a credit card, so...

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Aug 3, 2013

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Your date? :v:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
BeamNG's paid alpha and tech demo are out!

I believe I've posted it here before; it's a driving game (and middleware) where you can drive cars. When you crash the cars, it fucks them up with soft-body physics simulation. Crumple processing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X77cThD4vj8

My friend's the vehicle designer/modeler on this. Both the game and the cars are bitchin'.

More info here: http://www.beamng.com/content/

The "buy DRIVE" and "tech demo" pages linked on that page lead to what they sound like.

Analogue Kid
Jan 4, 2013

They aren't looking for a level designer, are they?

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

I believe I've posted it here before; it's a driving game (and middleware) where you can drive cars. When you crash the cars, it fucks them up with soft-body physics simulation. Crumple processing!

My friend's the vehicle designer/modeler on this. Both the game and the cars are bitchin'.

The "buy DRIVE" and "tech demo" pages linked on that page lead to what they sound like.

I always get sucked into watching these videos multiple times. They're just fascinating for some reason. I never really got into video games, but when I had a PS2, all I bought were car games and did this kind of stuff, completely ignoring missions, races, etc. This makes me want to get a Windows machine just to play it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I love that the sports car is named the Bolide. Very appropriate.

My favorite car games on consoles in the past were Crazy Taxy (on Dreamcast) and the Burnout games (on original xbox). I haven't had a racing game (or a modern console) in years but that video is drat tempting. I love watching the vehicle's frames twist and flex in the air as torsion forces affect them.

Now if they can just let you carry highly flammable loads in the back, and maybe put some crash-test dummies behind the wheel...

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

atomicthumbs posted:

The dude making the "Gavril" cars is/was a modder for Rigs of Rods right? Pretty sure he's responsible for the music as well since it looks and sounds a lot like his YouTube videos, and his modded cars were always called Gavril as the make.
Bought the game without even trying it first because I've played so much Rigs of Rods already and loved it. A toy where you smash cars together, or see how hard you can trash the suspension and still move, or (insert destructive idea here).

EDIT
Specifically this video from Rigs of Rods of his, I really dig the music a lot.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

KakerMix posted:

The dude making the "Gavril" cars is/was a modder for Rigs of Rods right? Pretty sure he's responsible for the music as well since it looks and sounds a lot like his YouTube videos, and his modded cars were always called Gavril as the make.

Yep. He made a lot of cars for Rigs of Rods, and then became the Vehicle Guy for BeamNG. He's got more music, too.

Edit: just found the parts selector in the DRIVE alpha. If you remove the front shocks, the Bolide bounces up and down :haw:

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Aug 4, 2013