Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Saitama did 100 pushups, 100 situps, and ran a bunch of kilometers every day. That's all he did, and that's the joke. I don't understand why people are sperging out and demanding that this isn't the correct answer.

It's that kind of longing for a greater reason behind a character's strength that leads to rear end-pulls undermining the themes of the story. It ruined Yu Yu Hakusho for me and I'm frankly more content to hope it doesn't happen in Onepunch-Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

Saitama did 100 pushups, 100 situps, and ran a bunch of kilometers every day. That's all he did, and that's the joke. I don't understand why people are sperging out and demanding that this isn't the correct answer.

You cant forget "never skip breakfast."

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

StevenM posted:

It ruined Yu Yu Hakusho for me and I'm frankly more content to hope it doesn't happen in Onepunch-Man.

Yu Yu Hakusho isn't that bad. Yusuke is like 1/1080th demon, and the whole point of his powers was that they only awakened because he was the first descendant of whatsisace to actually develop his own powers enough for his Granpppy to take an interest.

Just about every shounen has this in spades though. Was it really essential to have the Uzumaki be an offshoot of a clan that is descended from Ninja Buddah? Did Ichigo really need to be at least four different kinds of ghost? And (to use a reference no one will remember) did Astro really need to be the ACTUAL Prince Bulge?

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
I buy the training as the origin of Saitama's power.
I think that's pretty much established that in Onepunch' universe if you do something for to long or many times you get some kind "power". There was a guy that became a crab monster because he eaten to much crab soup and another one that became a monster because he played boxe for to long with the cord of his lamp.
So Saitama basicaly became a "monster" because he trained a lot.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

To be fair, in most manga, this would be a misdirection that leads to something deeper. This is not most manga.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

To be fair, in most manga, this would be a misdirection that leads to some stupid bullshit where Saitama is the son of Piccolo destined to fulfill some ancient prophecy we found out about ten minutes ago. This is not most manga.

Just being a little more honest. On the positive side, that might explain why his power correlates with baldness.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Abitha Denton posted:

You expect us to believe someone reached A rank just by doing 100 sit-ups, 100 push-ups, and 10 mile runs every day with air conditioning on? Go on, pull the other leg.

Why do people keep forgetting the 100 squats? Are squats the red-headed stepchild of exercise routines?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

JosephWongKS posted:

Why do people keep forgetting the 100 squats? Are squats the red-headed stepchild of exercise routines?

Everybody always forgets leg day

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Saitama must have been designed while ONE was working out, he seems to follow the train of thought where if you training, and you had to pick a superhero to represent you, there wouldn't be a superhero for athletic people, thus, Saitama was born.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Because this is SA and :spergin: rules the place with an iron fist.

Seriously, do you expect me to believe than Kinnikuman gets his powers from eating garlic? Come on, that's so weak, he should be the lost prince of some planet or something. And don't get me started on Suppaman!

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

And Popeye right? Spinach my rear end!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I don't my legs are huge.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Superstring posted:

And Popeye right? Spinach my rear end!

What do you think Popeye has got in that pipe of his? Its hash.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

onepixeljumpman posted:

Just being a little more honest. On the positive side, that might explain why his power correlates with baldness.

I would be all sorts of okay with this.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I don't know why people doubt Saitama's training program. It worked for this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zXRk69a7-c

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
To be fair, doing pushups and situps and drinking juice in 1000x gravity would probably make you pretty strong somewhere between crushing all of the bones in your body.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Rainbow Pony Deluxe posted:

To be fair, doing pushups and situps and drinking juice in 1000x gravity would probably make you pretty strong somewhere between crushing all of the bones in your body.

Also it'd affect your reproductive systems. I remember science saying that's a thing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Of course 1000 g's would affect your reproductive system. It would also affect all of your other systems, what with how you would die instantly.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Some sort of sports cup would be required to stop your balls dragging on the floor I'd imagine.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
A little unrelated, but since when is Saitama a doctor?

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/01/if-this-was-your-mother-doctor

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

One Scalpel Man

Wait no, that's nasty. Don't use the same scalpel for everything.

jackymc
Mar 30, 2010
New chapter

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is Page 10 supposed to be pure white?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Onepunch-chapter

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That was soooooo good.

I wonder if Saitama is going to be viewed legit or people are going to think it's still a fraud.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Saitaman :allears:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oh my god that was so loving satisfying. You'd think maybe it'd get old, but NOPE. Living up to his name.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
That knowing little smile on page 8...

This entire thing, every single bit of it is God-tier entertainment.

Edit: Favourite bits: That the crown is the first thing to go flying, and the steam coming off his fist.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 2, 2013

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
A lot of my enjoyment comes from the fact that the comic doesn't use those typical shonen fake outs, were it looks like the villain just might be stronger than the hero. Saitaman is stongest there is, end of story.

And it is glorious.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Shindragon posted:

That was soooooo good.

I wonder if Saitama is going to be viewed legit or people are going to think it's still a fraud.

I'm assuming the people on site will believe in him, but no-one else will because he's a C class hero and no-one was filming the fight because it was short. Blink and you'd have missed it, no-one had time to realize he was that strong till after it was over really. I'm not sure how the people there would be able to not believe it given the huge rear end shockwave from his single punch, the fact no-one had done any real damage to the Sea King before Siatama faced him and there was no-one else around. There's no way to justify it as someone else doing it really.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Don't forget that Genos is there as well, and is probably more than willing to tell the truth about Saitama's strength.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

If anyone was on the fence about reading the original, everything is all caught up now.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

So short; so good.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Genos's little smirk is definitely the best part of this chapter.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
I find myself questioning if this might be our first creature to not be a one-shot. Somehow he just doesn't look quite dead enough yet.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
That was, what, five chapters of building up the Sea King?

Saitama gets right to the point. :allears:

Liar posted:

I find myself questioning if this might be our first creature to not be a one-shot. Somehow he just doesn't look quite dead enough yet.

I was thinking the same thing. Most of Saitama's victims get obliterated. Maybe he has some regeneration that could get him on his feet again? Not that it'd do him any good.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Liar posted:

Even if this was true, there'd be no point. Saitama blew a hole in his stomach with no effort and withstood his attack with no effect. Even if the Sea King had some life left in him it'd be clear he had no chance to win, so what'd be the point? Literally the only thing it'd accomplish is that it'd be an enemy who took a second hit to put down, and only because he was too stubborn to stay down after the first. There's no point to taking two hits instead of one if there's no tension in the second hit really.

Meme Emulator posted:

If anyone was on the fence about reading the original, everything is all caught up now.

Are you sure? I was waiting for someone to say this in the thread so I could check out the One version and have already gone through the next arc, but the first translated One chapter appears to be a chapter or two away from the current Murata version. It picks up with [Minor One Manga Spoilers] Genos and Saitama at Bang's dojo, with no explanation why. You can infer why, but it's never clearly stated and the change in location etc. seems to suggest there's still one or two in-between chapters to go.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 2, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah, there's one chapter inbetween so wait until next chapter.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Liar posted:

Nah, he lost his crown. Game over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Even when I knew what was going to happen from the original I still said "holy poo poo" out loud at the giant shockwave.

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 3, 2013