Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Help Im Alive posted:

The only Breath of Fire game I've played is Dragon Quarter, is BoF2 worth getting excited for?

Breath of Fire 2 was quite good but it suffers from a really bad translation. That said, it's the very first JRPG with the evil religion as it's plotline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Dragon Quarter is the only good Breath of Fire game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

The only Breath of Fire game I've played is Dragon Quarter, is BoF2 worth getting excited for?

It's the better of the two SNES titles, at least. Of course telling people to play III requires them to import something for a PSP or buy the pricey PS1 version, so this is still a good option (keeping in mind Dragon Quarter is NOTHING like the other games).

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Dragon Quarter is the only good Breath of Fire game.

I think you will find most people disagree and prefer the fourth one, or the third.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Rirse posted:

Breath of Fire 2 was quite good but it suffers from a really bad translation. That said, it's the very first JRPG with the evil religion as it's plotline.
Ironically it was actually a very accurate translation by the standards of the era, and a lot of things slipped through that I would have figured NOA would have quashed. It's just that it was done by a japanese-native speaker and it really shows, with awkward grammar and misplaced pronouns and outright misspellings.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dragon Quarter is a bad Breath of Fire game but a better game than most of the Breath of Fire games. It wasn't at all what BoF fans would have wanted or expected but the mechanics were top notch.

BOF2 is... it's a somewhat-okay SNES-era RPG. I guess it depends on your tolerance for that. I had fun with it but it isn't really exceptional in any way. Don't expect it to play like DQ. It's a pretty by-the-book JRPG.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 2, 2013

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

Rirse posted:

Also you will be required to grind a LOT for the snes version. If I remember right the GBA version gives double the exp and gold per battle. I remember I'd get really frustrated and bored with how much fighting you have to do. This is compounded by the fact that there are characters you MUST level up because you have to use them for solo sections, and they aren't the characters your likely to have in your main party. Seriously, who uses Sten. You're a god drat weirdo if you use him unfused.

It's a neat game but it can get really confusing too if you're going in blind, a number of things you can miss/mess up that will impact the late/end game and you don't really see them coming.

I wonder why both BoFs were able to get gba ports but they wont put BoF1 on VC.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Reminder that the $5/$10 codes from that Wii U eShop promotion (the one where you add $50-$100 to your account) should be mailed out today. Just got mine! :dance:

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Rirse posted:

This is borderline off topic but I couldn't find anything after a quick Google search, so does anyone know if the GBA version of Breath of Fire II got a re-translation or if it copy and pasted the SNES translation?

mister negative
Jun 2, 2004

Salad Prong

Minidust posted:

Reminder that the $5/$10 codes from that Wii U eShop promotion (the one where you add $50-$100 to your account) should be mailed out today. Just got mine! :dance:
As did mine a couple of hours ago. It's nice that you can use the code to fund your 3ds, because after putting 50 or 100 into your Wii U you really don't need more for awhile (possibly).

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The T posted:

This is borderline off topic but I couldn't find anything after a quick Google search, so does anyone know if the GBA version of Breath of Fire II got a re-translation or if it copy and pasted the SNES translation?

It's a copy paste translation. The only thing they changed was adding a run-button (or rather, enabling it since supposedly it was dummied out of the SNES version) and updating the menus.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Phantasium posted:

It's a copy paste translation. The only thing they changed was adding a run-button (or rather, enabling it since supposedly it was dummied out of the SNES version) and updating the menus.

Also double exp and gold, I think?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ETB posted:

Also double exp and gold, I think?

Come to think of it I heard that, too.

Doesn't make the high encounter rate any less tedious, though.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Is there a good way to get a complete list of the games available on the 3DS eShop? The 3DS's app and the official website both seem... not so good for that sort of thing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

So if I have BoF3 on the Wii VC and haven't played it yet should I rock through that when I have some free time and not worry about BoF2, because everyone seems to be saying it's the better game. Or at least that 2 has some pretty big problems.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

njsykora posted:

So if I have BoF3 on the Wii VC and haven't played it yet should I rock through that when I have some free time and not worry about BoF2, because everyone seems to be saying it's the better game. Or at least that 2 has some pretty big problems.

BoF3 was a Playstation game so there is no way you have it on Wii VC.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

FredMSloniker posted:

Is there a good way to get a complete list of the games available on the 3DS eShop? The 3DS's app and the official website both seem... not so good for that sort of thing.

Wikipedia is the easiest way.

Alternatively, I could get around to updating the OP with a list of all the good stuff, but it's not like anyone's gonna read it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

BoF3 was a Playstation game so there is no way you have it on Wii VC.

Huh, I know I have a BoF game on Wii VC. I figured it couldn't be 2 because a game that was on Wii VC and is coming to Wii U VC really isn't that big an announcement.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

njsykora posted:

Huh, I know I have a BoF game on Wii VC. I figured it couldn't be 2 because a game that was on Wii VC and is coming to Wii U VC really isn't that big an announcement.

It was Breath of Fire 2. Capcom tends to announce their releases in advance like the Megaman entries.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's been out in Japan for a while, so it's not really an "announcement" inasmuch as we already knew it was coming.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of August 8):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    Spin The Bottle: Bumpie's Party - €6.99 / £5.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV: Wall of Fire (SNES) €7.99 / £5.49
    Galaga (NES) €4.99 / £3.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Buy Pikmin 3 on the eShop, get Wonderful 101 on the eShop for 30% off! - ends September 21
    Buy any three Panorama View tours, get the fourth free! - ends August 8
    Nano Assault Neo (Wii U eShop) - €6.99 / £6.29 until August 15
    Donkey Kong (NES VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30 / £0.30 until August 13

3DS eSHOP
    SteamWorld Dig - €8.99 / £7.79
    Tangram Style - €5.99 / £5.39
    Deer Drive Legends - €4.99 / £4.49
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    New Art Academy (3DS) - 50% off all DLC lessons until August 11
    Nano Assault EX (3DS eShop) - €9.99 / £8.74 until August 15
    Fun! Fun! Minigolf TOUCH (3DS eShop) - €3.49 / £3.14 until August 15
    Art of Balance! TOUCH (3DS eShop) - €4.89 / £4.40 until August 15
    3D Game Collection (3DS eShop) - €9.79 / £8.39 until August 15
    Gardenscapes (3DS eShop) - €10.79 / £10.49 until August 15
    Murder on the Titanic (3DS eShop) - €10.79 / £10.49 until August 15
    escapeVektor (3DS eShop) - €5.00 / £4.49 from August 8-22
    Crash City Mayhem (3DS eShop) - €9.99 / £8.99 from August 8-22
    Rising Board 3D (3DS eShop) - €1.49 / £1.29 from August 8-22

No Flipnote this week, I guess...

ROTK4/Galaga are both the US versions. Incidentally, I don't think ROTK4 was ever released on the PAL Wii VC, which if I'm not mistaken makes it the first third-party Wii U VC release that isn't a retread of something from the old catalogue.

Steamworld Dig seems like it might be okay... it's some sort of vaguely Spelunky-ish thing, I guess?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

ROTK4/Galaga are both the US versions. Incidentally, I don't think ROTK4 was ever released on the PAL Wii VC, which if I'm not mistaken makes it the first third-party Wii U VC release that isn't a retread of something from the old catalogue.

It wasn't, what is it?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Romance of the Kingdoms? Ugh, Romance? That sounds like a girls game. *is me* *is ten years old*

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
We had a copy of Mario Kart 7 between me and my brothers back when it was first released, for single-card multiplayer, but that cartridge seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. If I buy a copy of the game via eShop, can I still use that digital copy to play single-card multiplayer?

EDIT: Awesome, thanks AngryCaterpillar.

StevenM fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 5, 2013

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

StevenM posted:

We had a copy of Mario Kart 7 between me and my brothers back when it was first released, for single-card multiplayer, but that cartridge seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. If I buy a copy of the game via eShop, can I still use that digital copy to play single-card multiplayer?

Yeah, it's exactly the same

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

njsykora posted:

It wasn't, what is it?
What, ROTK? Its the Japanese equivalent of Crusader Kings, amazing grand strategy game about the feudal lords of post-Han China.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NA dudes, here are your new Club Nintendo digital rewards:

Mario Golf (3DS VC [GBC]) - 150 Coins
Brain Age Express: Sudoku (DSiWare) - 150 Coins
Wario's Woods (Wii VC [NES]) - 150 Coins
NES Play Action Football (Wii VC [NES]) - 150 Coins

https://club.nintendo.com/rewards.do

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you have 150 coins and don't buy Mario Golf I'll be very disappointed in you. Also Nintendo had better get that poo poo to Europe soon.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's a new firmware update for 3DS (6.2.0-12), it adds support for the new Streetpass Relay feature.

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

There's a new firmware update for 3DS (6.2.0-12), it adds support for the new Streetpass Relay feature.

Is that the feature where you could hit public wifi spots and it'll remember you were there for some time and you'd collect street passes from the spot all day even if you weren't there?

VVVVVVVVVVV Ahh I got it.

Age of the Atomic Mom fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 6, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Pez Ez Dispenser posted:

Is that the feature where you could hit public wifi spots and it'll remember you were there for some time and you'd collect street passes from the spot all day even if you weren't there?

The way it works is that the Nintendo Zone hotspots will hold the data of the last person that passed and relay it to the next person. It only relays one person's data at a time and you still have to actively pass the hotspots to get any benefit at all, so if you don't regularly pass any Nintendo Zone hotspots or take your 3DS outside at all then it's not gonna affect you.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

I hope this works as soon as tomorrow, I pass 2 of the Nintendo Zone hot spots on the way to work, and got 3 street passes on the way to work today. Will be curious if I get any.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

If I buy one mega man on my 3ds which one should it be?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
MM2, for sure.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Awesome! posted:

If I buy one mega man on my 3ds which one should it be?

I would recommend MM3 over MM2 (My favorite NES game is actually MM1, but that's an uncommon opinion). MM2 has a lot of annoying bullshit, such as a boss that requires you to use all of a special weapon's ammunition, and if you die or make a single mistake because you don't already know the very specific way you have to fight it, you have to spend time farming for ammo pickups because it's literally impossible without a full bar for that weapon.

MM2 is really great, but I feel like it falls apart and just stops being fun once you beat all the robot masters.

AlexMoron
Jul 28, 2007

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I would recommend MM3 over MM2 (My favorite NES game is actually MM1, but that's an uncommon opinion). MM2 has a lot of annoying bullshit, such as a boss that requires you to use all of a special weapon's ammunition, and if you die or make a single mistake because you don't already know the very specific way you have to fight it, you have to spend time farming for ammo pickups because it's literally impossible without a full bar for that weapon.

MM2 is really great, but I feel like it falls apart and just stops being fun once you beat all the robot masters.

I completely agree with everything you said here. Plus, with MM3, you get to fight all the MM2 robot masters later on anyway.

Get MM3.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

And MM3 is where the slide was introduced.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

.TakaM posted:

And MM3 is where the slide was introduced.

The slide adds very little to Megaman, though. It's not as awful as the charge shot mechanic they introduced in MM4, but it's just unnecessary. I guess you can use it to avoid a few bosses' jump attacks, but eh.

MM2 is damned near perfect in its simplicity, and it constantly demands you rethink your arsenal in interesting ways. Like using the Bubble Lead to suss out false floors in Wily's castle. MM3 has too many useless features and one-time use weapons, like the Top Spin or Rush Marine. It feels padded out, a bit soft in the middle compared to MM2's lean design.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

MM2 has a lot of annoying bullshit, such as a boss that requires you to use all of a special weapon's ammunition, and if you die or make a single mistake because you don't already know the very specific way you have to fight it, you have to spend time farming for ammo pickups because it's literally impossible without a full bar for that weapon.

This also describes a few MM3 bosses, though, doesn't it?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

DarkHamsterlord posted:

MM2 is a much better experience with save states. I never save scummed, but throwing a save in front of each boss improves the experience, especially on the boss you're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Astro7x posted:

I hope this works as soon as tomorrow, I pass 2 of the Nintendo Zone hot spots on the way to work, and got 3 street passes on the way to work today. Will be curious if I get any.

I went through 4 or 5 Nintendo Zone hot spots (lots of chain coffee shops / pubs!) a few hours ago and not one street pass! I hope that it's just that I was just the first person in my area to be out and about with updated firmware, and not that this is going to be some sort of weird complex cluster-gently caress of a thing to do (but with Nintendo, going by past performance who knows?)