Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

MancXVI posted:

i think korg grossly underestimated the demand for the volca series b/c the us release is apparently september now

if roland were smart they'd do a straight reissue of their extremely popular lovely drum machine

It wouldn't cost them much either, but apparently roland can't do anything right anymore.

But holy crap I really want a volca bass. And an ms20 mini. Korg has been killing it for the past 10 years or so, starting with the electribes. In high school my buddy khang had an esx and a novation k station and we used to throw little parties and shows in his basement. Live acid house sets for anybody of stoned 15 year olds? Yes sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
amazon has the new ni x1 mk2 listed for $150 if anyone cares (normally 220)

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
yospos music thread: pictures of huge racks itt

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

The ni controller its sweet and all, but if I was gunna get a dj controller is wanna get that cool ritchie hawtin one with all the buttons. I totally forgot who makes it

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

foonykins posted:

The ni controller its sweet and all, but if I was gunna get a dj controller is wanna get that cool ritchie hawtin one with all the buttons. I totally forgot who makes it

a&h xone 1d or k2 ?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
now that i have a hookup for those UMC32 midi brain boards i can basically build any control surface i want.

honestly i was thinking of spending an extra $100 over a used APC20, and building my own tabletop box. 16 faders 24 buttons

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

graph posted:

a&h xone 1d or k2 ?

This is what I was thinking of

http://lividinstruments.com/hardware_cntrlr.php

Which probably wouldn't work too well in a serato/traktor type setup(maybe it could,i don't dj so I dunno), but most of my friends use ableton to dj. Except one kid who has a numark ns7

All these shameful caps in the 'pos, whatever I'm phone postin.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cms: my high school journalism teacher emailed me back and said if i ever pass through hot springs i am welcome to poke through the school newspaper archives and xerox off all my old music reviews

the ones i remember are Tool - Aenima, Sonic Youth - Washing Machine (this was the good one), and Metallica - Load

they were all new releases

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

foonykins posted:

This is what I was thinking ofbut most of my friends use ableton to dj

nope

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

Not kidding, cells upon cells off full songs. They take hours at a time and meticulously warp each track. Triggers them with an apc40, and has various effects set to the knobs on the right. 2 tracks set to A, 2 set to B so they can crossfade.

It's not pretty, and after 50 or so songs in the live session it starts to bog down, but somehow it works. I honestly dont see the point when you have things like traktor nowadays, but it suits their needs...

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i hate how ableton has ripped the dj culture in half, but i love its tight rear end midi timing. so torn

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
there are two people i know that use ableton to 'dj' properly

one is in the same crew as relative_q and he owns

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

if roland rerelased the TB series it would be a rompler box with a preset dial and basic DSP effects baked into the preset and rainbow labels with a cheap tacky rotary selector

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

if roland rerelased the TB series it would be a rompler box with a preset dial and basic DSP effects baked into the preset and rainbow labels with a cheap tacky rotary selector

they will work in some stupid way to do a ribbon controller cause ~expression~

-ribbonhater

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

DUAL DBEAMS
set below the preset dial

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

DUAL DBEAMS
set below the preset dial

My sh-01 has dbeam and this vlink thing that only works with one other piece of hardware. The dbeam will control volume, filter cutoff, and some effects variable that I could never get working. If you press the button twice itll play an 808 kick or some stupid horn sound.

I really don't like that synthesizer.

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

My friend with the electribe esx just bought this

https://www.future-retro.com/revolutionoverview.html

And it owns owns owns

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh my god i just loving heard this on the radio

YOSMUSIC THREAD CHALLENGE

play this whole youtube. you are not allowed to mute or pause.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hDZbroaQDc

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
I had to pause twice because of buffering issues, but yeah, I've heard better music. By which I mean gently caress you for posting that.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jonny 290 posted:

oh my god i just loving heard this on the radio

YOSMUSIC THREAD CHALLENGE

play this whole youtube. you are not allowed to mute or pause.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hDZbroaQDc

i got really annoyed about eight seconds in and had to stop watching for some reason

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

Tool - Aenima

wanna read this one

Jonny 290 posted:

i hate how ableton has ripped the dj culture in half, but i love its tight rear end midi timing. so torn

just curious what do you mean? i dont really follow dj culture but i love a bit of ableton and im wondering how it split it?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the question: is it physically possible for your set to trainwreck?

if the answer is no, some people say that is not DJing. some people do, and say its more about the arrangement and track selection. incidentally 95% of people who claim this havce awful arrangement and track selection.

i kind of am in the traditionalist vein, but after two beers i stop giving a gently caress. if youre bad enough that i notice and stop my conversation to shoot you a dirty look, gently caress you, no matter what buttons they are pushing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:waycool: cheers i think that makes sense

so i guess running ableton on an asus laptop with 256mb and a slow as gently caress platter drive is real djing?

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

also sometimes i wish you could still buy a new sidstation and click a checkbox like 'YEAH I HAVE THE CHIPS ALREADY JUST GIMME"

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

echinopsis posted:

:waycool: cheers i think that makes sense

so i guess running ableton on an asus laptop with 256mb and a slow as gently caress platter drive is real djing?

yep.

congrats, your the next carl cox

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jonny 290 posted:

the question: is it physically possible for your set to trainwreck?

if the answer is no, some people say that is not DJing. some people do, and say its more about the arrangement and track selection. incidentally 95% of people who claim this havce awful arrangement and track selection.

95% is awful high dontcha think

Jonny 290 posted:

i kind of am in the traditionalist vein, but after two beers i stop giving a gently caress. if youre bad enough that i notice and stop my conversation to shoot you a dirty look, gently caress you, no matter what buttons they are pushing

all the skirlex and bassnectars and swedish gently caress idiot mafia use ableton in their sets. they hit play and maybe have one or two effects mapped so they can TURN A KNOB REAL HARD and scowl. it's all canned. people pay $100+ to see some idiot and their 'brand' jump around on a platform in front of them

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
read that as swedish fish idiot mafia

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Eelectronic music concerts edm in particular are p shameful not everyone can be daft punk or santigold

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

graph posted:

95% is awful high dontcha think

all the skirlex and bassnectars and swedish gently caress idiot mafia use ableton in their sets. they hit play and maybe have one or two effects mapped so they can TURN A KNOB REAL HARD and scowl. it's all canned. people pay $100+ to see some idiot and their 'brand' jump around on a platform in front of them

I don't know much about musakmaking but a lot of electronic stuff seems closer to composing than it does to playing an instrument. So if you're up there trying to play your electronic stuff "live" you can't do much more than twiddle knobs. It's really lame but on the other hand, there are a lot of people that want to watch bands "live".

Simian Mobile Disco show off their live setup https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwMjr5m80fo. Skip past the first 2:30 if you don't wanna listen to them talk about nothing.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

hubris.height posted:

Eelectronic music concerts edm in particular are p shameful not everyone can be daft punk or santigold

low level of entry via piracy has made it a messy field to wade

imagine if you still had to actually own a physical oldcomputer for many of the effects.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

:)

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_S0WJ5vu1U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TtL3AyBHP0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aioCLSGuGQ

fack you fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 3, 2013

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

graph posted:

I know a guy who bout a ticket to fly from England to Miami to see the Swedish house mafia and meet them (some sort of VIP ticket) I dread to think how much that cost lol

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgKyfrdcDwY

godface zillah
Nov 18, 2012

Bill Gates

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
so i built up that PSU board last night. i had awful hum and it wouldn't go away, i got mad and said 'gently caress it' then started shopping for mixers on ebay. This morning I went back and found that one of the filter caps had lifted a leg cause of a crappy solder. Fixed that, its effing silent now. better than the stock power supply. Only problem now is heat, cause linear regulators - they are hot to the touch after like 10 secs of operation. time to make heatsinks! I may chain a 12 volt regulator into the 5 volt regulator, just to dissipate heat over two devices.

need to trust my designs more and my construction less

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
what are you making, jonny? is it a cool future music tech?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
just repairing my behringer 24 channel mixer that i use for my live PA. the power supply does + and - 15 volt and they speced it with 16 volt caps, which predictably shitted out over time, blowing all the diodes on the power supply board and putting it in a perma-limp mode. I just built a replacement supply using a transformer i had lying around and some rat shack parts. less efficient but quieter than stock

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
neeeeeeeeeat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

people poo poo on behringer all too much. yeah, alot of it is absolute trash full of cheap, chinese components, but a good amount of their gear gets the job done. i have a behringer compressor that does exactly what its supposed to do and doesn't add any nasty noise to my signal.

plus, they built BEHRINGER CITY

• Locked thread