Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
i'm sad, since i have the GG version of CK2 and went and pre-ordered the Steam version of EU4 months ago since i read it was gonna be Steamworks and decided i may as well skip the middleman. I suppose that means no save conventer for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
If there are advisors to reduce tech cost, and if teching up is a one-time click, is it going to make sense to switch to a tech-reducing advisor just before teching up and then quickly switch back to a more useful advisor?

I hope there's a reason why this won't work.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Uhm, Paradox, how am I supposed to be immersed in the manual without including a lot of history fluff all over the place? I want to feel like the Sun King when I'm reading up on how the game works, not just some dude that can't wait to get the actual game.

This manual is readable so it's automatically worse than the Glorious Magna Mundi World Stage's.

To be fair, if the manual was written by a random forum user like some others, there's going to be plenty of downright wrong information :v:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

An easy way to flesh them out to some degree would be to just make culture group/region ideas first, just to make it so there are no completely generic states left.

Yeah, creating decisions and events that model different scenarios for Burgundy is probably going to be the first major thing I attempt in EU4 modding, because it's just full of possibilities. It can survive and become a kingdom within the HRE, possibly curbing French growth to the east, it has a chance of inheriting France, which would cause all sorts of pantsshitting in its neighbors, or it can be split between the emperor and France like in history.

I imagine mods now where it's basically the same ideas, just with a demonym in front and doubled bonuses. Russian Optimism: Monthly War Exhaustion -0.1, Italian Bookkeeping: Interest per annum -2.00.

Bulgar Supremacy -100% Attrition

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

fuf posted:

If there are advisors to reduce tech cost, and if teching up is a one-time click, is it going to make sense to switch to a tech-reducing advisor just before teching up and then quickly switch back to a more useful advisor?

I hope there's a reason why this won't work.

I think they mentioned that advisors cost somewhere around 100 gold to hire. So yeah, that's a reason it wouldn't work.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Zeron posted:

I think they mentioned that advisors cost somewhere around 100 gold to hire. So yeah, that's a reason it wouldn't work.

Ok good, that's a good enough reason.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Beamed posted:

This manual is readable so it's automatically worse than the Glorious Magna Mundi World Stage's.

To be fair, if the manual was written by a random forum user like some others, there's going to be plenty of downright wrong information :v:
Well, it's probably going to become more and more wrong over time anyway, unless Paradox is going to keep updating it. Good thing there are hints in-game then, which Paradox kinda have to update.

fuf posted:

Ok good, that's a good enough reason.
That's the expensive ones though, I don't think the low level advisers cost that much, and they give the exact same modifiers. (The higher level ones just give more power points)

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Ugh I wish I had the time to do a full CK2 play through. It seems criminal to not have my first EU4 game be from Crusader Kings, but not owning EU4 from the get-go seems equally criminal. First world problems!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

ghengilhar posted:

One thing I'd like them to look at is the spiraling cost for colonies after you go over your upkeep limit it just seems WAY too high from Quill's video.

Johan popped up in this thread a few days ago to say that they've already done that. Quill's playing an old version.

Alchenar posted:

'Increases X by Y' is one of the most frustrating things to see in a Paradox game because all it really tells me is that I'm getting 'more' of 'a good thing hopefully'. Vicky 2 is the worst for it, HOI3 is similarly bad but it doesn't matter so much because gently caress-it-research-everything, CK2 is much better for sticking to discrete bonuses, but even then I'm still not exactly sure what 'increase noble opinion by 0.50' actually makes happen maths wise.

Yeah. It seems like a problem that'd be actually pretty easy to fix (by showing your current +/-% and overall value for whatever stat, in addition to the bonus/penalty given by the decision/tech/whatever), but, well, paradox UI.

Noble Opinion is the simplest thing, though - it's literally a flat bonus to the opinions of people in the appropriate class (noble, town, church) towards you. If you mouseover the 'opinion' of people in the appropriate group (for nobles, that's feudal lords & kin), you can see a small bonus "from tech". (Fractional values probably don't do anything until they add up to integers, admittedly.)

Vaxan
Dec 25, 2010

ZachRyker posted:

i'm sad, since i have the GG version of CK2 and went and pre-ordered the Steam version of EU4 months ago since i read it was gonna be Steamworks and decided i may as well skip the middleman. I suppose that means no save conventer for me?

No, by pre-ordering EUIV you get a free copy of CK2 on steam. Since GG and the steam versions of CK2 use the same save game folder, you can just play on the GG version until you have a save game that you want converted and then just load it up on the steam version and convert it (You might have to load up as a Christian nation to convert it though). I might be wrong but I think this should work.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

UI Dev Diary posted:

AI does not have any attrition on the sea, just like in Europa Universalis III.

Still couldn't figure this one out eh? Disappointing, albeit pretty minor.

Does anyone know if they've mentioned the AI knowing exactly where your ships are at all times? It was both really weird when you noticed, and also made it incredibly easy to bait the AI once you did.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Still couldn't figure this one out eh? Disappointing, albeit pretty minor.

Does anyone know if they've mentioned the AI knowing exactly where your ships are at all times? It was both really weird when you noticed, and also made it incredibly easy to bait the AI once you did.

It also made it incredibly frustrating to do anything with a navy if yours was smaller as the AI would immediately know you just put some cogs out to sea and would sail across the Mediterranean to crush your cogs moving a few tiles in your own territory it can't possibly see.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Ugh I wish I had the time to do a full CK2 play through. It seems criminal to not have my first EU4 game be from Crusader Kings, but not owning EU4 from the get-go seems equally criminal. First world problems!

There is a compromise candidate - the CK2 1337 bookmark.

Currently doing a MP playthrough from that date for the purpose of exporting. The aztecs appeared and ruined my day so I've managed to end up as them - and people are finding the events implying I have half of the America's and are locked in a death battle with the Inca's very amusing. Hope the converter is true to the implications about the Aztecs and Inca's.

In other news, CK2 just appeared in my steam inventory, as I already owned the game - and the steam page has been updated.

I assume the potential demo will be steam based too?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

So, I was browsing the EUIV wiki, and stumbled upon this National Idea for Aragon

Protect the Little Folk: Morale of Armies +0.25:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Playin' one last game of EU3 before the 13th.

I'm gonna miss you, Napoleon's ridiculously long left leg.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

PrinceRandom posted:

So, I was browsing the EUIV wiki, and stumbled upon this National Idea for Aragon

Not as good as the mission to capture Gonder.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Beamed posted:

Not as good as the mission to capture Gonder.

And defeat Saruhan (although that one comes up less often).

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I got my EUIV preorder bonus of CK2, so if anyone wants it the first person to friend me on Steam and message me gets it.

edit: claimed

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 2, 2013

ghengilhar
Mar 21, 2013

PrinceRandom posted:

Oh God, the Aragorn puns continue. You know what I've read their national ideas a couple of times now and I never noticed that. I wonder if they'll get a mission to become "King of Gondar" again

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ghengilhar posted:

Oh God, the Aragorn puns continue. You know what I've read their national ideas a couple of times now and I never noticed that. I wonder if they'll get a mission to become "King of Gondar" again

It should be "King of Goondor" instead.

Dj Vulvio
Mar 1, 2007

Good morning Mrs. Bates
According to the manual, coring takes 3 years. I'm not sure what to think about that.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Dj Vulvio posted:

According to the manual, coring takes 3 years. I'm not sure what to think about that.

Going by the comparison summary, it takes points, so I'd assume they mean 3 years worth of Monarch Power (which sounds like a shitload) or 3 years before you can even try.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

ArchangeI posted:

Going by the comparison summary, it takes points, so I'd assume they mean 3 years worth of Monarch Power (which sounds like a shitload) or 3 years before you can even try.

In Quill18's playthrough I'm pretty sure he was coring places he just conquered and it didn't seem all that expensive but I don't think it took three years to do; I might be wrong but I think there were things that lowered how long it took to core such as claims on the province and more neighboring cores.

E:VVVV
Ah, my mistake, seems like there are modifiers that actually sale up the time, not down :v:.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
^^^^
You are right, I forgot about claims, they make it both faster and cheaper IIRC!

It takes 3 years plus 5% longer for every cored province you already have and then you pay the admin cost when it finishes, I think. I don't believe the cost scales with country size but eventually cores are going to start to take a long time to create.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 2, 2013

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

What would be a better use of my time while I wait for EUIV: playing my first game of CK2 (it's never clicked for me, but I think I might be able to wade through it by consulting Kersch's LP) or playing my last game of EU3+?

I know I'll never play EU3 if I don't get to it now, but an alternate history start for EUIV with possible Aztec invaders just sounds too good to be true. :allears:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I honestly haven't been able to play EU3 since about when SoI came out, I played the hell out of EU3+ but the game just feels so clunky and old compared to CK2. I'm really really looking forward to EU4 though mostly for the AI improvements, the thought that I might actually get my rear end kicked by the AI is kind of amazing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Start a CK2 game then continue it in EU4, that's my current plan!

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Interesting. Assuming that the manual is up to date, then some of the national ideas appear to have been toned down since the build Quill18 was playing. Diplomacy's 33% reduction in core creation cost is listed instead as a 33% increase in core creation speed, and Aristocracy's 33% reduction in cavalry cost has been dropped from 33% to 25%.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Varam posted:

Interesting. Assuming that the manual is up to date, then some of the national ideas appear to have been toned down since the build Quill18 was playing. Diplomacy's 33% reduction in core creation cost is listed instead as a 33% increase in core creation speed, and Aristocracy's 33% reduction in cavalry cost has been dropped from 33% to 25%.

I suspect that once a few hundred thousand people get a hold of the game and start hammering on it looking for exploits we'll see lots of NI changes over time/patches.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
On Victoria II, I was hovering around the party mapmode and noticed that Manchuria's Anarco-Liberal party was called "An Unvery Likely Candidate". Oh Paradox. :allears:

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Don't condemn me as a drat dirty cheater because I want my first EU4 game to be absolutely ridiculous, but I started a new CK2 game a while ago after I pre-ordered and cheated in tons of money, prestige, piety and ruler stats.

Well...

A culturally Welsh Catholic middle-east seems like a good place to start EU4

Any idea if the CK2->EU4 converter will have an advanced Aztec/Inca even if the imported save is pre-invasion?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Waffles Inc. posted:

Don't condemn me as a drat dirty cheater because I want my first EU4 game to be absolutely ridiculous, but I started a new CK2 game a while ago after I pre-ordered and cheated in tons of money, prestige, piety and ruler stats.

Well...

A culturally Welsh Catholic middle-east seems like a good place to start EU4

Any idea if the CK2->EU4 converter will have an advanced Aztec/Inca even if the imported save is pre-invasion?

I think what you can do is just check the DLC before you load our save game and immediately export it, SI will be 'active' and you'll get the special SI stuff in EUIV.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Waffles Inc. posted:

I believe the invasion has to of fired off to set the invasion flag, at the very least.

or that ^^ too.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Ugh I have no idea how to read and responsed incorrectly to a post :/

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

unwantedplatypus posted:

Kebab - +1000% Discipline, +1000% Morale

I seriously can't wait for the Srbja NI mod.

PrinceRandom posted:

This is the greatest. I'm seriously considering a preorder now even though I don't have the cash to spare and already have CK2.

Actually, how does the CK2 preorder thing work? Does it give me a key or a copy of it in my inventory? It isn't like the Deep Silver Humble Bundle where you have to install it as a group and can't give it away, is it?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

The free copy of CK2+ is a tradeable non-marketable copy of the game in your Steam inventory.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

unwantedplatypus posted:

I was seriously hoping that the explanatory text for the player-favored handicap would be "As a Player nation, we receive many bonuses."

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I wonder if they're going to, since they're DLCing this, if they're gonna have a DLC that includes the dynamic renaming of colonial provinces... That was always my favorite part of EU3+.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I haven't played ckII for a while, I don't know if it's the latest patches or the Old Gods I just bought but there's a few concepts I'm having a hard time with and the wiki is kinda lovely at explaining.

-Research seems different, there's like a button that lets me "invest" in the research but they're all grayed out despite having tons of money. Is this like in eu3 or is there a new ruler-based research point ability I'm not figuring out?

-I'm playing a norse dude and my laws are poo poo and I'm stuck with the worst inheritance system. I believe I need to become reformed to advance beyond this, any tips for doing this asap?

-Someone was telling me navies are different or updated in some way, is this true? They seem more or less the same to me but I haven't really gotten too into my game yet.

-Any general tips for playing a norse country? I'm playing who ever starts the old-gods game controlling where Copenhagen is today and my vassals control what is today the southern tip of Sweden. I have a potential goal of making I think the Kingdom of Denmark and I'm only at 2/5 of my province limit so would it be worth it to try to go to war with my own vassal to take his holdings for personal use? Anything I should know about city vs castle vs temple holdings for playing norse or is it the same as euro/christian?

-Is there any crazy way I could become king of Denmark and then become a norse merchant republic? Is there any way in the game to actually transition to that or would I need to form denmark then release a city and give the major a duke level title to create the republic.. then play as that and re-conquer denmark for my self?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Baronjutter posted:

-Is there any crazy way I could become king of Denmark and then become a norse merchant republic? Is there any way in the game to actually transition to that or would I need to form denmark then release a city and give the major a duke level title to create the republic.. then play as that and re-conquer denmark for my self?

You'd need to do that. I recommend it, though. Norse trade republics are crazy fun.

• Locked thread