Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duckman2008 posted:

Anyone here looking for a Galaxy S4 on Sprint, mine is currently at $380 on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251310545391?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

:ssh: don't ship it. Out of curiosity, though - is it straight to Indonesia or is it through the reshipper in Seattle/Miami?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

lol how the gently caress did this sell for $700? That's above full retail. Nice work.

Yeah man, I am def not shipping that poo poo until a payment actually comes in (i would love for it to actually come in). I checked with eBay and I basically just sit tight for 48 hours waiting for a payment.

The shipping address is Conneticut. If they actually pay me I'll ship anywhere (in this case meaning they gave me a CT address, so I'll ship there).

I'm not holding my breath.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 2, 2013

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Today I dropped my S3 on the sidewalk and the screen is pretty wildly cracked. I have TEP, so I stopped by a repair center and they said that Asurion would replace the unit overnight with a $150 deductible.

On the other hand, I could go to a shop and get the glass replaced for $95 in 30 minutes. I've used them before when I needed the LCD replaced on my BB Tour years ago.

Is there any reason to go the Asurion route? Is there any reason to continue paying for TEP?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
So for all the terrible coverage I normally get around parts of raleigh., I'm sitting on 3 bars of 4g on the blue ridge parkway. Also got 1 bar of 3g while I was hiking in Pisgah national forest.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Is there any reason to go the Asurion route?
Is the $95 a quoted figure? Or is that just what cost the last time? That's less than the cost of the entire display/digitizer/glass assembly, making me think they'd just replace the glass, in which case it may be the cheapest overall option but you're paying a lot for labor.

There's two reasons to go with Asurion. The first is that the official Samsung repair process replaces the entire glass, digitizer, and screen, for $172, but what you get is a flawless screen instead of one that might have some imperfections or dust or something from separating the digitizer from the glass. With Asurion you get essentially the same job for $22 less and a fixed phone overnight, instead of ten days later.

Also, if there's any damage to the device besides the glass, like a bent frame, the Asurion route resolves that too.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Is there any reason to continue paying for TEP?
Considering that used S3s can be had for not a whole lot more than the deductable, maybe not.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

GEMorris posted:

So for all the terrible coverage I normally get around parts of raleigh., I'm sitting on 3 bars of 4g on the blue ridge parkway. Also got 1 bar of 3g while I was hiking in Pisgah national forest.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the bars never display the LTE signal strength.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

td4guy posted:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the bars never display the LTE signal strength.

My gnex clearly showed "4g" along side a signal meeter that varied from 2-3 bars for the 30 minutes I used it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Is the $95 a quoted figure? Or is that just what cost the last time? That's less than the cost of the entire display/digitizer/glass assembly, making me think they'd just replace the glass, in which case it may be the cheapest overall option but you're paying a lot for labor.

There's two reasons to go with Asurion. The first is that the official Samsung repair process replaces the entire glass, digitizer, and screen, for $172, but what you get is a flawless screen instead of one that might have some imperfections or dust or something from separating the digitizer from the glass. With Asurion you get essentially the same job for $22 less and a fixed phone overnight, instead of ten days later.

Also, if there's any damage to the device besides the glass, like a bent frame, the Asurion route resolves that too.

Considering that used S3s can be had for not a whole lot more than the deductable, maybe not.

The $95 is a quoted figure, at least it's what the Craigslist ad says but seem to recall paying that when I went to that shop last time. And it is just for the glass.

The Sprint guy at the repair center made it sound like Asurion would send me a whole new phone. I haven't called them yet to clarify or make a claim though.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
To my fellow Buffalo Sprint suckers, two LTE sites were accepted. One near Bailey and Kensington, and one near Buffalo Niagara International airport. Sensorly maps are showing some coverage popping up downtown as well.

Friggin finally.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Wilford Cutlery posted:

The Sprint guy at the repair center made it sound like Asurion would send me a whole new phone.
That's exactly what they do, you take the battery (and if you have one, the external SD card) out of the phone you have and put them in the new phone, drop the broken one into the prepaid envelope they send you, and mail it off.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

ninmeister posted:

To my fellow Buffalo Sprint suckers, two LTE sites were accepted. One near Bailey and Kensington, and one near Buffalo Niagara International airport. Sensorly maps are showing some coverage popping up downtown as well.

Friggin finally.

Yeah, I just heard from a co-worker this afternoon that he picked up lte downtown (from the roof of a 9 story building) last night. I was quite surprised.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

WoG posted:

Yeah, I just heard from a co-worker this afternoon that he picked up lte downtown (from the roof of a 9 story building) last night. I was quite surprised.

I guess the antenna in my Gnex isn't as good as an S4.. a contractor I was working with today on Main in the theater district was showing me on his that he has a weak but usable 4G connection. I just had a really strong and ungodly slow 3G connection. Stupid Gnex.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

nmfree posted:

That's exactly what they do, you take the battery (and if you have one, the external SD card) out of the phone you have and put them in the new phone, drop the broken one into the prepaid envelope they send you, and mail it off.

Lie and tell them the battery got wet and you need that too.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

TVs Ian posted:

At my Sprint store (Ft Wright, KY), LTE just kicked in. I'm getting 7-11 megabits on Speedtest.

No idea if it'll last, it just suddenly came on. I noticed while activating a customer's S4, it didn't drop back to 3G.

You work in Kentucky? Jeez, do you guys get DHRP replacements the same day?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Biodome posted:

You work in Kentucky? Jeez, do you guys get DHRP replacements the same day?

We used to get them next day, but once they switched to 2-day shipping it's been hit or miss. Once in a while we still do, but it tends to still be a day or two before it gets out of the warehouse.

VAD orders have a 50% chance of showing up the next day with standard shipping, too.

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist
I got 27 down and 8.5 up today here in Southwest Florida. Nice.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

GEMorris posted:

My gnex clearly showed "4g" along side a signal meeter that varied from 2-3 bars for the 30 minutes I used it.

Did you know that with most Sprint LTE Android devices, the signal strength indicator at the top does not show your LTE signal strength? Even if 4G is displayed next to it?

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2040-bars-lie-for-lte-signal-strength-how-to-determine-your-actual-lte-signal-strength/

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Duckman2008 posted:

If you have TEP you should be able to swap it via a Sprint repair center, do go to one of those. Corp owned if possible.

Wizard of Smart posted:

To be fair most resellers can't do an exchange out-of-stock, and they were probably trying to give you the cheapest solution without sending you to corporate.

Thanks for this, I'll be taking it to a corporate store today.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

Did you know that with most Sprint LTE Android devices, the signal strength indicator at the top does not show your LTE signal strength? Even if 4G is displayed next to it?

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2040-bars-lie-for-lte-signal-strength-how-to-determine-your-actual-lte-signal-strength/

It has never shown the data signal strength.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

When I'm at work with my Galaxy 3 I have no reception so my battery drains. is there any way to disable voice and mobile data and only use WIFI? Basically turning it into an iPod Touch or a tablet?

AutoFool
Sep 28, 2004

I am the Power
I'm not sure if this applies to all phones but with a fair amount of them you can turn airplane mode on, and then toggle your wifi on. At the very least it works with my iPhone, and worked with my old Samsung moment.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

935 posted:

When I'm at work with my Galaxy 3 I have no reception so my battery drains. is there any way to disable voice and mobile data and only use WIFI? Basically turning it into an iPod Touch or a tablet?

Go into airplane mode and turn on wifi.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

For whatever this is worth, I upgraded a while back to SERO Premium/HTC One, and have not paid the $36 fee as of yet. Did not pay in the corporate store and it has not shown up on my account on two bills after the upgrade. My upgrade method was - I called the employee line, had them temporarily change my account to Everything Plus, then went into a corp store and upgraded, then the same phone rep called me back a couple hours later and put me back on SERO. I didn't ask anybody about the $36. I think maybe in all the account switching it got avoided somehow.

Question - does anyone else with the One find it to be kinda buggy? I regularly have to use Advanced Task Killer to un-freeze apps. The phone itself hasn't frozen up entirely yet, fortunately. Also, while I like the phone overall, I don't like the Blinkfeed feature (which I have as disabled as possible) or the way facebook is inextricably linked to my photo gallery. A lot of people post stuff that I really don't want showing up in there, and I haven't found a way to stop it.

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0
guys GUUYYSS. I'm doing a routine phone check before a movie...

The rare beast has been found, the promise land does exist. Strangely this was in springdale, OH right next to 275.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Columbus and Cincinnati both have some LTE coverage now, yes.

http://sensorly.com/map/4G/US/USA/Sprint/lte_310sprint

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0

the littlest prince posted:

Columbus and Cincinnati both have some LTE coverage now, yes.

http://sensorly.com/map/4G/US/USA/Sprint/lte_310sprint

Right near west chester and forest park, makes sense.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Nnep posted:

guys GUUYYSS. I'm doing a routine phone check before a movie...

[tIMG-http://i.imgur.com/Mh6fqkk.jpg]

The rare beast has been found, the promise land does exist. Strangely this was in springdale, OH right next to 275.
Why does everyone post full phone screenshots in this thread so that we can focus on just a tiny 20x30 area that says 4G or LTE? Why not just write that you saw LTE and save us the trouble of trying to figure out what we're supposed to be looking for in the image. As NV rolls out, this becomes less and less of a big deal in various parts of the country.

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0

SpelledBackwards posted:

Why does everyone post full phone screenshots in this thread so that we can focus on just a tiny 20x30 area that says 4G or LTE? Why not just write that you saw LTE and save us the trouble of trying to figure out what we're supposed to be looking for in the image. As NV rolls out, this becomes less and less of a big deal in various parts of the country.

When you catch the 100 pound catfish in the bottom of the lake you can't help to post that unedited 3mb picture as soon as possible. Hopefully you're not roaming though.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

angryrobots posted:

For whatever this is worth, I upgraded a while back to SERO Premium/HTC One, and have not paid the $36 fee as of yet. Did not pay in the corporate store and it has not shown up on my account on two bills after the upgrade. My upgrade method was - I called the employee line, had them temporarily change my account to Everything Plus, then went into a corp store and upgraded, then the same phone rep called me back a couple hours later and put me back on SERO. I didn't ask anybody about the $36. I think maybe in all the account switching it got avoided somehow.

Question - does anyone else with the One find it to be kinda buggy? I regularly have to use Advanced Task Killer to un-freeze apps. The phone itself hasn't frozen up entirely yet, fortunately. Also, while I like the phone overall, I don't like the Blinkfeed feature (which I have as disabled as possible) or the way facebook is inextricably linked to my photo gallery. A lot of people post stuff that I really don't want showing up in there, and I haven't found a way to stop it.

You shouldn't need atk at all. Something's wrong with software causing issues.

And give blinkfeed a chance. I "hated" it and switched my main screen from it. Recently I went ahead and threw some feeds on it and its actually pretty cool.

loving advanced task killer. Come on now.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
How much does the LTE towers "flicker" during a rollout/test/whatever. I had 4G LTE on my Note 2 for about a week, and now it has jumped about 5 miles away from me where it used to be in my backyard... literally.

Also more of a curiosity, but are WiMax towers lower on the priority list. For a while I had Sensorly recording the LTE data, and it basically skipped all the way around where I would get WiMax on my old phone.

DragonKeeper
Aug 4, 2004
MOLE GAVE ME THIS ACCOUNT OK GUYS

angryrobots posted:

Nope, smooth as butter for a few months now. Yesterday was my first reboot only because of a system update.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

DragonKeeper posted:

Nope, smooth as butter for a few months now. Yesterday was my first reboot only because of a system update.

If your play store fucks up. Enjoy a factory reset. Mine blew up after that recent update and nothing would download or update. :(

Been solid since though!

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

uapyro posted:

Also more of a curiosity, but are WiMax towers lower on the priority list. For a while I had Sensorly recording the LTE data, and it basically skipped all the way around where I would get WiMax on my old phone.
The WiMax towers probably aren't going to be touched. They're a whole different thing, only the Sprint CDMA towers (and I believe a small handful of Nextel IDEN towers) are part of Network Vision. The WiMax towers are all Clearwire. They'll probably eventually get something done with them, but I don't think anyone knows for sure right now.

EbolaIvory posted:

If your play store fucks up. Enjoy a factory reset. Mine blew up after that recent update and nothing would download or update. :(

Been solid since though!

Did you try sideloading the Play store APK and/or going into settings-applications-all and hit "reset app defaults" in the menu? Those two tend to fix pretty much every Play Store problem I've run into.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

TVs Ian posted:

Did you try sideloading the Play store APK and/or going into settings-applications-all and hit "reset app defaults" in the menu? Those two tend to fix pretty much every Play Store problem I've run into.

I didnt bother side loading because "Cloud". And to be honest I'm over messing with phones beyond using them how they come out of the box.

Yes I did the "reset app defaults" "Clear cache" "Clear Data" "Uninstall updates". Nothing worked.

Not a big deal. Because again "Cloud". But still annoying.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

My One has been working great. I got the new update last night that fixed the pebble bug so yay!

I never gave blink feed a chance because I'm on Sprint's network. I use Nova launcher plus Snack Pack for some good looking icons.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

If I want to sell my used sprint phone on ebay, what do I have to do to make it useable for another person? I have my old 8GB Evo 3D that works fine with almost no cosmetic problems that I just took off my plan and was surprised to see that they sell on ebay from $40-$100. I've already done the factory reset and erased the SD card.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Cacafuego posted:

If I want to sell my used sprint phone on ebay, what do I have to do to make it useable for another person? I have my old 8GB Evo 3D that works fine with almost no cosmetic problems that I just took off my plan and was surprised to see that they sell on ebay from $40-$100. I've already done the factory reset and erased the SD card.

That's it. You might also want to check out Swappa.com. I sold my GS3 there a few weeks ago after another goon in this thread recommended it.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Are there any known issues with the GPS on the Sprint S3? I started doing runs, which track my path, but the result is a bit wonky. It mostly tracks my path, but jumps around like crazy. The end result is that it looks like I traveled farther than I did, so I don't get an accurate reading.

This is in contrast to my wife's S4, which shows a much more accurate result for the same path traveled.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Just curious but can you add Tethering to a SERO plan? I have had tethering unofficially on my HTC Arrive forever now but since WP8 has yet to be cracked open, and though the 8XT supports it, it looks like I am going to have to pay if I want it.

I currently cannot add it to my Arrive's plan (just looking to see) and my guess is it is because they never released a rom update officially support Tethering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

brc64 posted:

Are there any known issues with the GPS on the Sprint S3? I started doing runs, which track my path, but the result is a bit wonky. It mostly tracks my path, but jumps around like crazy. The end result is that it looks like I traveled farther than I did, so I don't get an accurate reading.

This is in contrast to my wife's S4, which shows a much more accurate result for the same path traveled.

My Verizon one has been flakey lately too. Dunno if its the recent update or something but my turn by turn has been wicked slow to catch up lately .