Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Ok, so who has painted a Sinanju and what colour red did you use? I'm colour blind so I can't see poo poo, but there are various recommendations. Tamiya Mica Red is one I see thrown around a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Vallejo italian red or any of the Ferrari approximations are what I used on the Sazabi. They are both the same red right?

(not mine)

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

BlitzBlast posted:

where am I supposed to put all of this

Also apparently USPS delivered my Blast/Sword Impulse conversion kit five days early, while I was in China. Tracking info marks it as Returned, but when I went to the post office they didn't know where it was either. :negative:

Did you not buy the MG Aegis as well to have the entire G-Project set?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I was considering it, but my 100% collection instinct isn't strong enough to overpower the fact that I think Aegis looks super silly.

Especially the transformation.

Also I barely had enough space to fit five of those in my luggage (I had to carry around MG Buster with my hands), I don't want to imagine adding another box in.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

BlitzBlast posted:

I was considering it, but my 100% collection instinct isn't strong enough to overpower the fact that I think Aegis looks super silly.

Especially the transformation.

I know he wasn't the principal designer, but I like to think that the Aegis was more or less the point where Okawara decided to just stop giving a gently caress about designing Gundams outside of the paycheck.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

There are very few transforming suits that look good in both modes, in my opinion. I mean off the top of my head I think maybe a few of the villain ones in zeta like the Hambrabi? But I think the vast majority, especially when the designers have to make it look like a cool gundam as well, just sorta end up as a goofy looking plane with a giant pair of legs awkwardly sticking out of the back.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what kits is this made of?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fauxtool posted:

Looks like a Zeta with the hyper-mega-launcher and I want to guess a Justice Gundam's jetpack repainted?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Fauxtool posted:

A combo a Zeta and ReZel Type-C.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

why do the Koreans need to make the rest the of the world look so bad at everything?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Pacific Rim was so bad rear end.

New Gundam Contest is up:
http://cpg.gundam.info/menus/

Last year I won the 1/100 Astray Red Frame, you just get a business card with a serial # on it when you buy a Bandai Gundam kit, and enter online. I got my card from a 1/144 GN-X, so it's not like they give the big prizes out to people who buy big kits. I mean if I won anybody can.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The Seven Swords 00 XN Raiser is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

BlitzBlast posted:

The Seven Swords 00 XN Raiser is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen.

Nah, I still think it needs more knives.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
HAHAHAHAHA, look at that Puke Freedom gold they're using:

So here's a thing i've been putting a lot of my time into: PG GP01

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I don't think I've ever seen a gold plastic figure, toy, or kit that didnt look like complete rear end out of the box. Something about that color just does not work with injected plastic.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Welp:

edit: added reasonably legible photo.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 3, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Also Strike Freedom confirmed as the next RG.

EDIT: I guess I should be happy about Sazabi vKa, but to be honest I'm just sad that the big December release wasn't MG V2 AB. I guess I'll just pray for November.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 3, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Sazabi ver ka? Hell yes!

RG Strike Freedom? BOOOO!!! :argh:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

Sazabi ver ka? Hell yes!

I'd have thought they'd start milking 00 for RG suits by now.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

But why bother when there are still perfectly good seed kits to remake for the hundredth time.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

All in!

I can't wait to get stuck into these.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

Sazabi ver ka? Hell yes!

This was pretty much my exact reaction.

Do we get any more announcements or is that it? I'm not sure where these were even announced. There's no MG announced for November yet though and the release schedule has been pretty consistently one a month, so I guess we might get one more before the year is over.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I'll never understand why the Strike Freedom is so popular, but it is and that's just the way things are. Look at the bright side, at least they're getting it out of the way!

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: I guess I should be happy about Sazabi vKa, but to be honest I'm just sad that the big December release wasn't MG V2 AB. I guess I'll just pray for November.

Seeing as the HGUC V2 is just around the corner, chances of the MG happening anytime within the next 12 months strike me as pretty slim. And unless Bandai can engineer their way around the laws of physics, I fear the inevitable MG transformation gimmick is going to leave it looking a lot like this piece of hot garbage (I've seen some excellent builds of the 1/60 V2, but they all had to dispense with the core fighter stuff.)

edit: I think we've got all the news we're gonna get for the year. The MG line skips November often as not, and with an expensive beast of a kit on tap for Xmas there's not likely to be anything too exciting for 11/13 if there's anything at all.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 3, 2013

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Sazabi ver ka? HELLS YES. It's probably definately going to be expensive as hell though.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This isn't really a surprise. SF is incredibly popular, lets Bandai reuse the Seed Advanced MS frame for a fourth time, has the WoL as a Web Exclusive cash grab, and of course was practically already out in the form of RG Freedom. Infinite Justice is pretty much soft confirmed as well, unless it turns out the SF is meant to be a pair with Destiny.

I'm actually interested as to how this kit will turn out, since RG hasn't had a kit so utterly reliant on metallic colors before. Will it go chrome, or will it use that really ugly "gold" colored plastic?

Ignimbrite posted:

Sazabi ver ka? HELLS YES. It's probably definately going to be expensive as hell though.

Sazabi vKa has already been confirmed to be at least as expensive as MG The O, if not moreso. All of you guys who are excited better start saving up. :v:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I wouldn't think it would be that much more than the Nu ver Ka, but thinking about all those curved parts probably means more runners. But still, The O level? That's ridiculous.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Ever wonder why The O was so expensive?

It's because you were paying for its rear end. Huge chunks of plastic cost equally huge chunks of cash, and the Sazabi is a similarly bulky suit.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Alright I've already got a question.

At what stage of assembly should I do my detail lines?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

neurotech posted:

Finish a part, then do the detail work is my plan usually.

BlitzBlast posted:

Sazabi vKa has already been confirmed to be at least as expensive as MG The O, if not moreso. All of you guys who are excited better start saving up. :v:

Fuuuuuck. Char's a pricey guy huh?

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

TaurusOxford posted:

Finish a part, then do the detail work is my plan usually.

Great, thankyou!

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Bear in mind that the first MG Sazabi, a 14-year-old kit which would barely pass muster as a High Grade in 2013, cost 8000 yen. Assuming the ver.Ka is not a compromised piece of junk like the original (or MG The-O, for that matter) a pricetag of ¥12-14k is not an unreasonable assumption.

edit: adjusted price guesstimate because let's face it, there's no loving way this monster is coming in at just ¥2000 over the old one.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Aug 3, 2013

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Well at least I know what my one MG of 2014 is going to be. It's not really a huge surprise considering the current Sazabi is already really expensive.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The RG Freedom was to be expected and we just got GPO1 so I can't be annoyed by it really.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

neurotech posted:

If you're not painting anything and are really lazy you can do the wash method to everything while on the runner, but I think panel lines are mostly done as the final step.

The wash method is basically taking your panel lining colour, making a really watery paint and then slapping it all over any lines on the parts. Once dry you just go over the whole thing with whatever thinner works for your paint (I do acrylic washes so surgical spirit) on a cotton bud to mop up all the excess leaving just the stuff in the lines.

I wonder what the decals on the Sazabi Ver.Ka are gonna be.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Is there any way I can find out the planned shipping date of a new production run of an out of stock kit? I worded that badly but I'm sure someone knows what I mean

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

muike posted:

Is there any way I can find out the planned shipping date of a new production run of an out of stock kit? I worded that badly but I'm sure someone knows what I mean

Like when a kit sells out and you want to know when it's planned to get a next run and be available again? I'd really like to know if anywhere has this info too.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah that. All I know is HLJ is getting some more of the kit in August, I was just curious if it was going to coincide with Gundam 3.0 on the 8th or happen later in the month.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what kit? Ill ask my uncle who works at Nintendo

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

First attempt at this stuff. I think I need to work on my sanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
Over the past week and a half or so I've been redoing one of the first kits I ever did, MG Gundam mkII ver. 2.0. He was originally just snapped together and lined, with some of the dry transfers that came with the kit applied. I did a couple things that I've never tried before for this guy; firstly, I did some detail work on the frame, used a couple different colors, etc.

Even though it's invisible with the armor on, I like the effect, and I think I'll be doing this from now on. I also tried some pre-shading, with medium gray as the base and white on top. It turned out ok, I guess, but I definitely need more practice. I also tried waterslides for the first time, and they're really nice! Easier than dry-transfers and they look a hell of a lot better than stickers. It's a shame Bandai stopped making them.

My shading attempts don't show up very well in the picture; it looks better where it's at right now on my desk. The flash kinda messes with the colors, but without it the camera won't auto-focus and the pictures are blurry as hell. The blue of the torso and shield worked pretty well, but I think the white could be better. Overall, I like how he turned out, even though it's not quite how I had hoped he'd look.

• Locked thread