Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Exmond posted:

Ill translate to how you played in eve terms.

You pretty are in null space the whole time. You put up a space station in 0.0 territory, advertised where it was (Trade routes and etc show that) and then didn't build any defenders...

I was following one of the expansion plans linked earlier in the thread, and I've been watching playthroughs on youtube. I wasn't aware from what i'd seen/read that I would be likely to get attacked this early.

Oh well lesson learned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

twoot posted:

I was following one of the expansion plans linked earlier in the thread, and I've been watching playthroughs on youtube. I wasn't aware from what i'd seen/read that I would be likely to get attacked this early.

Oh well lesson learned.

Yeah the super-poland expansion plan hinges on you not being near to super-aggressive AIs. The AI is now much more reluctant to go to war (even for AIs that were previously quite war-happy), but Atilla's a nasty piece of work.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

That Poland Liberty/Tradition super-combo would be so much better if the 13-year-old who wrote it could type...

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Any of you guys using that Giant Earth map from Yet Not Another Earth Maps Pack?

Playing as America with 21 other players is a hilarious prospect, 251 turns in and I have total control over the Western Hemisphere with nearly every inch of the Eastern conquered by what seems to be like, I dunno, the other 19 players. Makes conquering hard, I tell ya!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Speedball posted:

That Poland Liberty/Tradition super-combo would be so much better if the 13-year-old who wrote it could type...

There's a cleaned up breakdown here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=12616398&postcount=60

I think I'm going to try it later, myself.

Mecca Respector
Apr 21, 2007
Just added myself to the Steam group as Hot Carl Hollywood. I've never been past Prince/whatever the civ 4 equivalent was, hopefully not everyone in the group is a deity-playing wizard. :) I'll be up late if anyone wants to try a game tonight.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kyrosiris posted:

There's a cleaned up breakdown here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=12616398&postcount=60

I think I'm going to try it later, myself.

It isn't bad, but it doesn't account for your needing to tech for luxury development. You'll tech to Calendar for Philosophy and you take Mining to clear forests, but if you get Marble, Furs or Ivory you'll have to sidetrack or have happiness issues long before you get to Construction. In fact, I'd say you almost have to take Trapping before D&P if you can build Circuses.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

It isn't bad, but it doesn't account for your needing to tech for luxury development. You'll tech to Calendar for Philosophy and you take Mining to clear forests, but if you get Marble, Furs or Ivory you'll have to sidetrack or have happiness issues long before you get to Construction. In fact, I'd say you almost have to take Trapping before D&P if you can build Circuses.

The timing for a lot of things don't always work out - I had to reload and chop forests to get the monument done in time in my 4th city for Legalism. Not to mention fending off Assyria's DOW after we declared friendship. :argh:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Jedit posted:

Don't deviate for hunting luxuries, they're not worth going for. Marble you definitely want to get if you have it available though. The goal of the build is to get to universities ASAP while getting a million social policies, deviate to construction if you need bowmen and masonry if you have marble but otherwise just push down the top of the tree.

CS quests can float your happiness for a long time, don't be afraid to go down to ~5 unhappiness. Having a city capped at size 1 due to unhappiness for a dozen turns or so isn't the end of the world.

uPen fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 3, 2013

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010
Oh yeah well I'm going to play the Maya for the first time since BNW hit and play the religion game a bit, chase a diplo victory with insane gold and faith per turn, all that good stuff. Oh and I have a pretty good Petra city lined up for my 3rd settler. Although I don't think I can beat the Emperor AI to Petra now, my Engineer is going to be too late. And now Harun just completed it -

I don't even like Civ.

stanislaus
Aug 5, 2008
Anyone know if the mayan UA still increases subsequent GP point costs?

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm on the way to a diplomatic victory right now, but if I continue playing afterwards, can I get the other victories as well?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I wish Kael was still around the modding scene, I'd love to see something FFH2-esque using Civ 5's engine.

Warlock:MOTA doesn't count, that barely counts as Civ-lite.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
You could do some pretty great stuff with Faith as a mana-like resource and social policy trees as different specializations of magic. Maybe religion could be academies of magic or something.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Are there any good tower defense mod maps for Civ 5?

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
Just had the weirdest game... I've never known Carthage and the Ottomans to be super agressive (though Dido is kind of insane), but for some reason they joined an unbreakable alliance and had a massive perma-hate on for me for no drat reason. I beat back their forces constantly, but they refused to make peace. It was like playing Civ 4 all over again.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
What is wrong with Shaka?! He has been constantly declaring war on me all game and losing pathetically. Between wars we are all great buddies and declaring friendships and making defensive pacts but he just ignores them. Is it possible to be friends with Shaka?

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
That's weird since Shaka is one of the most loyal leaders. Every stat varies by 20% each game so it's possible to get him to be less faithful, but he's not usually a Nobunaga or Elizabeth.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

TheGame posted:

That's weird since Shaka is one of the most loyal leaders. Every stat varies by 20% each game so it's possible to get him to be less faithful, but he's not usually a Nobunaga or Elizabeth.

He has by far been the most aggressive civ I have played against yet. I can guarantee that within 10 turns of our peace treaty ending he will rush his army to my border again. I have zero negative modifiers in the diplomacy screen. He has to die.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

jtm33 posted:

What is wrong with Shaka?! He has been constantly declaring war on me all game and losing pathetically. Between wars we are all great buddies and declaring friendships and making defensive pacts but he just ignores them. Is it possible to be friends with Shaka?

Shaka is the hardest to make friends with but he has the highest loyalty rating in the game so it really shouldn't be happening this way unless you're super close and you're running light on army.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
If anyone's curious about how we know the exact stats of AI personalities, here's the (absolutely massive) image detailing every XML value. They vary by 2 values for each game, so a value of 8 could be anywhere between 6 and 10 for any given game.

You can see how much Gandhi loves nukes and how much Shaka loves to stay bros.

TheGame fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 3, 2013

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

SirKibbles posted:

Shaka is the hardest to make friends with but he has the highest loyalty rating in the game so it really shouldn't be happening this way unless you're super close and you're running light on army.

I have good defences but keep a small army, this has to be the only reason why. Also he has 4 cities within 4 tiles of my border.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
If you actually get a DoF with shaka you're set. Just being neutral doesn't count as friends.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TheGame posted:

If anyone's curious about how we know the exact stats of AI personalities, here's the (absolutely massive) image detailing every XML value. They vary by 2 values for each game, so a value of 8 could be anywhere between 6 and 10 for any given game.

You can see how much Gandhi loves nukes and how much Shaka loves to stay bros.

Its still too small. Can you link to a bigger image?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Unless you have one of those 3200xwhatever monitors you just aren't seeing it full size. Open it in a new tab, the timg expander has a max size for tables or something. That thing is huge.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jastiger posted:

Its still too small. Can you link to a bigger image?

Here you go:

http://i.imgur.com/X5cLaZQ.png

It’s the same link. :ssh:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Platystemon posted:

Here you go:

http://i.imgur.com/X5cLaZQ.png

It’s the same link. :ssh:

Slightly updated version of the chart:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=11584962

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Perhaps this is old news, but the Steam achievement bugs appear to have been ironed out. I can go back to old saves where I beat the game and didn't receive the achievements, finish the game again, and get the achievements recognized.

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wu Zetian just finished the Manhattan Project and then agreed to trade away all her uranium :psyduck:

I guess she was okay with me nuking the hell out of the Shoshone.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Am I getting the culture bonuses wrong, or are civs with buildings and units that generate culture not really as great at culture victory as they are at preventing other civs' culture victories from happening?

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

Right. Social policy bonuses (Poland), building bonuses and unit bonuses (Aztec) add to your culture defense but never to your tourism. Brazilwood camps/tile improvements and wonders do add to your tourism via hotels and airports, so there are a few very clear cultural civs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TheGame posted:

Brazilwood camps/tile improvements and wonders do add to your tourism via hotels and airports, so there are a few very clear cultural civs.

The hotel/airport description only lists landmarks, moʻai, and châteaux. I don’t know if Brazilwood camps were overlooked in the description or if they really don’t generate tourism.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

Any tile improvement that generates culture. Brazilwood camps do indeed generate tourism with a Hotel, as do (I believe) holy sites with full piety. Also, gold/silver/pastures with the appropriate pantheon.

That tooltip would definitely benefit from an 'e.g.' in the parentheses.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
According to that chart Gandhi has between a 10 and 14 Nuke score on any given game. Holy poo poo, that is glorious.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Alexander's column is pretty hilarious because it sets out in plain and simple numerical terms how much of a complete prick he is.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Super Jay Mann posted:

Alexander's column is pretty hilarious because it sets out in plain and simple numerical terms how much of a complete prick he is.

I've never played as Alex before, so since I'm suffering from insomnia, perhaps I shall give being a colossal prick a test drive.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Pvt.Scott posted:

I've never played as Alex before, so since I'm suffering from insomnia, perhaps I shall give being a colossal prick a test drive.

Remember to immediately denounce the 1st person you meet and buy all the city states.

Oct 28, 2003

And make sure to get the forbidden palace and found the world congress. Pretty soon you'll just be issuing decrees.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Super Jay Mann posted:

On the other hand, he has a 3 in city-state competitiveness, the one area where I would expect him to be the biggest dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pvt.Scott posted:

Declare war on everyone when you unlock your unique units, even if you can’t realistically beat them or even get to them.

• Locked thread