Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

On the other hand, exclusive Dead Rising and Crimson Dragon are guaranteed to sell at least some units.

Probably not many. Dead Rising sells way better in the west than Japan. It's why they hired Blue Castle (now Capcom Vancouver) to make the games in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
A reply from Jeff "Professional Videogamesman" Gerstmann to someone asking about the faltering WiiU:

quote:

I think if they dont start getting a lot more traction with the Wii U after this next batch of software is out, itd be all but pointless to continue devoting significant development resources to it. Especially when the 3DS has been a great outlet for Nintendos games.

That said, I didnt see anything at E3 that looked like it would turn it around for the Wii U. The people who want those games are probably also people that already bought a Wii U on faith. Is someone really going to go oh man, a new Mario Kart???" and suddenly buy a Wii U? Or did that person already say I know there will be a Mario Kart on this platform eventually, so I guess Ill buy it at launch."

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Sounds like of like faulty logic, I get where he's coming from, but people usually buy consoles closer to when things they want are going to be out, not at the furthest point possible.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Syfe posted:

Sounds like of like faulty logic, I get where he's coming from, but people usually buy consoles closer to when things they want are going to be out, not at the furthest point possible.

There's a big difference between "people" and "nintendo owners".

Look back through this thread at the multitude of people who bought a WiiU for games that weren't even announced officially when it launched.

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

Syfe posted:

As an example, I only got a PSX and a PS2 after Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy X had already come out. I'm sure many people will only finally pick up a given system on their first birthday or christmas after something they want for that system comes out.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Syfe posted:

Sounds right to me. Come on, Mario Kart is not a system seller. I really don't know what is until the new Smash Brothers comes out.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

CapnAndy posted:

Sounds right to me. Come on, Mario Kart is not a system seller. I really don't know what is until the new Smash Brothers comes out.

I think the red Mario Kart Wii bundle did pretty gangbusters, and it was the best selling game on the system, at like 34 million. It was only beat by Wii Sports, which came with the system of course.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Mario Kart is one of Nintendo's strongest system sellers actually. It may not sell the Wii U but it tends to do well at selling systems for them.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

greatn posted:

I think the red Mario Kart Wii bundle did pretty gangbusters, and it was the best selling game on the system, at like 34 million. It was only beat by Wii Sports, which came with the system of course.

Yeah, but the Wii already had an install base in the tens of millions when Mario Kart Wii came out.

NSMB sold close to 28 million units on the Wii, but few are buying a Wii-U to play the new one.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 3, 2013

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

greatn posted:

There's a difference between a game that sells consoles, and a game that sells with consoles. That a game was a quintessential part of the experience of a successful predecessor console does not indicate that its fanbase will have enjoyed it enough to spend $350 on the predecessor.

Astro7x posted:

I wonder what the continued support of the PS3 will do for the PS4 launch. Watch Dogs and Assassin's Creed 4 are going to be coming out for both consoles, that will have to delay some people in picking up a PS4
Well, at this point we all kinda know that the versions on the Ps4 and Xbone are just flat out better than the ones on the Ps3 and 360. I think the sort of people who would not make the plunge because the Ps3 is still getting some (quite awesome) support likely weren't going to make the transition that early anyway, due to lack of funds. This way, they still have a reason to keep giving Sony money.

I think the only thing they screwed up by not making it next gen was THe Last of Us. That game would have driven people wild for the new console, and helped the thing establish dominance right out of the gate, with one of the greatest games of all time as a launch title. As it is, its just one of five "last great game[s] on the Ps3"

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Mario Kart is one of Nintendo's strongest system sellers actually. It may not sell the Wii U but it tends to do well at selling systems for them.

If they do a discounted WiiU bundle with mario kart/smash bros that would sell an insane amount of systems.

Nintendo still has tons of aces up their sleeves, at the very least they can turn this into another gamecube. If they expected way more than that, well, they should'nt have shat on their one year lead over the competition.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 3, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I suppose if we want to talk about "system sellers" these might help:

(Total Wii games sold as of June 30, 2013: 872.73 million) (Total Nintendo 3DS games sold as of June 30, 2013: 106.04 million.)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bobnumerotres posted:

If they do a discounted WiiU bundle with mario kart/smash bros that would sell an insane amount of systems.

Nintendo still has tons of aces up their sleeves, at the very least they can turn this into another gamecube. If they expected way more than that, well, they should'nt have shat on their one year lead over the competition.

I think at the very most they can turn this into another Gamecube. But I think they have some good games in the pipeline and I think they can probably afford to drop the price some, so I don't consider it that improbable. I don't think they'll ever sell much more than 30 million, if that, but if they sell more than 20 million, it was worth making the system.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

There's a big difference between "people" and "nintendo owners".

Look back through this thread at the multitude of people who bought a WiiU for games that weren't even announced officially when it launched.

I think it's safe to assume that the majority of the Wii-U owners are seasoned Nintendo guys.

I myself did buy the system for games that have yet to be released on it. I was expecting a system shortage. However many of the games that I wanted on it, instead got pushed back.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

I'd get a Wii U for myself if there was a must-have game. I admit, though, that I haven't been interested in a Mario Kart or Zelda game in a long time. A good Metroid game might do it, but I think I'd also wish it was for the 3DS instead.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

WendigoJohnson posted:

I think it's safe to assume that the majority of the Wii-U owners are seasoned Nintendo guys.

Yup, I got a Wii U at launch. They don't need to announce it for me to know I'll eventually be getting the whole line up of main franchise titles at some point. There will eventually be a Zelda and Mario Kart. I am not going to deny myself a new console for two years to maybe save $50... I'd get way more than $50 worth out of the system during that time.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Toady posted:

I'd get a Wii U for myself if there was a must-have game. I admit, though, that I haven't been interested in a Mario Kart or Zelda game in a long time. A good Metroid game might do it, but I think I'd also wish it was for the 3DS instead.

Speaking of, I wonder how the new Smash Bros games will fragment sales. It's a pretty big no brained that people won't buy the WiiU version if the 3DS version is virtually the same game and doesn't serve as a mode of transport for the WiiU data.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

greatn posted:

I think at the very most they can turn this into another Gamecube. But I think they have some good games in the pipeline and I think they can probably afford to drop the price some, so I don't consider it that improbable. I don't think they'll ever sell much more than 30 million, if that, but if they sell more than 20 million, it was worth making the system.
This past generation has sort of upped the game when it comes to sales, though. The PS3 and 360 are basically tied in second place at 75 Million. Granted it's been a long generation, but I don't expect PS4 and Xbone to be significantly shorter as expensive as production cycles are getting. They need to move significantly more than 20-30 million lifetime unless they want to enter a hypothetical 9th generation with kids going "Nintendo? What's that?"

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 3, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Louisgod posted:

Speaking of, I wonder how the new Smash Bros games will fragment sales. It's a pretty big no brained that people won't buy the WiiU version if the 3DS version is virtually the same game and doesn't serve as a mode of transport for the WiiU data.

I think a lot of it will come down to which game has the better online experience. Lord knows we don't want another Brawl.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Chaltab posted:

This past generation has sort of upped the game when it comes to sales, though. The PS3 and 360 are basically tied in second place at 75 Million. Granted it's been a long generation, but I don't expect PS4 and Xbone to be significantly shorter as expensive as production cycles are getting. They need to move significantly more than 20-30 million lifetime unless they want to enter a hypothetical 9th generation with kids going "Nintendo? What's that?"

That Microsoft expanded their appeal to a wider grouping and brought in a new permanent demographic to console gaming (I said permanent if someone wants to take me to task on the casuals the Wii brought in) is no guarantee that Nintendo will. They're really not doing a single thing to expand their base compared to what it was during the Gamecube days, so just saying "Microsoft and Sony got second place, but they got 75 million consoles sold each" doesn't really mean a lot.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

CapnAndy posted:

Sounds right to me. Come on, Mario Kart is not a system seller.

I was personally at one of the BestBuy E3 booths when people were playing Mario Kart 8 and heard several people say, "This is the game I'm waiting for". Nobody said that about Wind Waker HD, Mario 3D World or DKR2. Mario Kart 8 was the game most people played and the game everyone wanted to see more of. Hell if I didn't get my Wii U at launch I would have been waiting for MK8.

It has pretty much been a staple of every single Nintendo console. You'll have a hard time finding a Nintendo console owner that didn't have a Mario Kart game. Heck the only one I never owned was Double Dash and that was because a friend had it so I never had to purchase it.

I was about to go :stare: and say what the gently caress was wrong with you but maybe you just didn't realize how popular it was.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I wish they'd go back to how Double Dash was, still the best MK after all this time.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
If you dont think Mario Kart is a system seller than your an old jaded gamer.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Alteisen posted:

I wish they'd go back to how Double Dash was, still the best MK after all this time.

Not to start a 'Which is the best Mario Kart' discussion but...

Everybody knows the best Mario Kart is Mario Kart DS.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Louisgod posted:

This is a good question. With the new Vita and 3DS, portables are getting close to recreating the home console experience. It's less reason to buy a Wii-U in Japan, if you can buy any game on the 3DS and have more populated matches and use it online as well as local play (which is wonderful for Japan).

Again, as said before, Nintendo is getting worse at giving reasons why you need their console, especially if you already have the 3DS. I mean we already got Mario: 3DLand on the 3DS and to most people that's already like 3D World that's coming to the Wii-U this year. Chances are, the 3DS LTTP2 we get turns out to be a more popular Zelda than the next home console Zelda. You can have a really good online experience with the Mario Kart 7 game, so why would people want the Wii-U one? Local multiplayer sure, but maybe in the future more people will just meet up with 3DSes and do local multiplayer.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still buy a Wii-U one day. Just when I can get it for something cheap like $100 used, and I can grab all the worthwhile titles from the previous 4 years.

So here's what I'm basically saying. As far as the gaming experience goes, the gap between a 3DS and a Wii-U is not very big. It doesn't justify the extra $150 it would cost you to buy a Wii-U over the 3DS

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The two SSB games won't be identical (they'll have entirely different stage selections, among other things), but barring specific details of each game's development, the Wii U version should definitely come out first by a couple months. With a competitively-priced bundle that includes a Pro Controller.

George Lazenby
Jan 12, 2007

You're all crazy. Why the hell would you buy the 3DS smash bros over the wii u one? Don't you ever play smash bros with frends?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Showing my wife a Wii U at Cosco a few months ago was interesting. We're in our early 30s, both had a SNES growing up, and you could see her eyes light up when she saw NSMBU. She played it for a bit and said "Now if you bought this instead of an xbox I'd play games with you." But then 30 seconds later she was over it.

Personally, I liked but didn't love most of the classic Nintendo franchises. I loved my SNES, more than every console except maybe 360, but I played Street Fighter II, NHL hockey - I guess the "bro" games of the time - so the nostalgia factor was never enough to make up for the inferior tech/lack of 3rd party support for the N64 onwards. Superior hardware has always been important - I owned a Genesis too but didn't like it as much because of the limited colours and generally inferior ports, despite the Blast Processing marketing BS. I did, however, like the 32X and played the poo poo out of the Virtua games, which were mindblowing at the time.

If Nintendo were to put out a system 5 years from now that outclassed the PS4/Xbone I'd definitely consider it, but right now there's no desire whatsoever.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

George Lazenby posted:

You're all crazy. Why the hell would you buy the 3DS smash bros over the wii u one? Don't you ever play smash bros with friends?

There's quite a few good reasons: Maybe we all live far apart. Maybe most of us already have a 3DS but haven't gotten a Wii-U yet (if ever).

In a world where you can have four people meet up at the same time in the same spot with ease and if you have the equipment for it, then yes, the Wii-U one would be more enjoyable.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

George Lazenby posted:

You're all crazy. Why the hell would you buy the 3DS smash bros over the wii u one? Don't you ever play smash bros with frends?

Ineffiable posted:

There's quite a few good reasons: Maybe we all live far apart. Maybe most of us already have a 3DS but haven't gotten a Wii-U yet (if ever).

In a world where you can have four people meet up at the same time in the same spot with ease and if you have the equipment for it, then yes, the Wii-U one would be more enjoyable.

Nintendo are still terrible at online multiplayer. I hope you enjoy two-minute time matches.

Also, with the Gamecube adapter that lets you use one in place of a Classic Controller (i.e. it plugs into the Wii remote), you can play the game with the perfect controller. I don't know how I'm going to pull off smash attacks with that circle pad.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Honestly, I've grown accustomed to mobile gaming because of iOS, and I'd just prefer to have 3DS versions of things.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

Almost Smart posted:

The thread should be renamed "gently caress the Wii U, bring back the Dreamcast."

Although I don't post much, I read this thread everyday and man, you don't know how much has it made me regret selling my dreamcast :(

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Changed the thread title to curb the Dreamcast discussion.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

George Lazenby posted:

If WiiU's current course is any indication the 3DS version will have better online multiplayer and I haven't played a local multiplayer game in almost half a decade.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

OatmealRaisin posted:

If WiiU's current course is any indication the 3DS version will have better online multiplayer and I haven't played a local multiplayer game in almost half a decade.

What do you mean? Some third parties opting for no online due to sales? That has nothing to do with what Nintendo will do with Smash.

That said, if I were Nintendo, I'd definitely release it on the WiiU at least a month earlier than the 3DS version to boost sales. It's going to have better controls and beautiful visuals, and will probably have other exclusive features.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Louisgod posted:

Changed the thread title to curb the Dreamcast discussion.

Thank you thank you.

Install Windows posted:

I suppose if we want to talk about "system sellers" these might help:

(Total Wii games sold as of June 30, 2013: 872.73 million) (Total Nintendo 3DS games sold as of June 30, 2013: 106.04 million.)
This is really cool and informative. Now do one for the Wii U.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
I think the main problem with the Wii U, is that, outside of first party Nintendo titles, I can play amazing games such as... uhhhh... Zombieu or whatever? There's a zombie game for it. I think. I don't actually know about any other games that are on the Wii U. It's been a year with a complete desert of games, and all of the games I do want to be play available on other platforms, or the PC.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heran Bago posted:

Thank you thank you.

Nintendo's investor relations section of their website has the sales info for first party titles.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/wiiu.html

They...kinda need more first party titles.

Still, 2.15 million for NSMBU is pretty good considering that only 3.61 million Wii-Us have been sold. That's a fairly good attach rate. I'm assuming the reason Nintendo Land sold more is because it was a pack-in title for the deluxe bundle.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Raneman posted:

I think the main problem with the Wii U, is that, outside of first party Nintendo titles, I can play amazing games such as... uhhhh... Zombieu or whatever? There's a zombie game for it. I think. I don't actually know about any other games that are on the Wii U. It's been a year with a complete desert of games, and all of the games I do want to be play available on other platforms, or the PC.

Yup. Right now unless you're batshit about monster hunter, Nintendo Land, or earthbound, the system doesn't offer much. With how poorly it's doing it's actually causing a snowball effect where people are waiting for the price to drop due to the poor sales.

I wonder how it's gonna do in Canada when they're pretty much giving it away at 200 this week. C'mon guys, smash bros will be on it at some point.

• Locked thread