Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It's like watching that video with a high fever and after taking a fairly sizable bump of coke. Whoever produced this is simply not a well person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Sort of like this in a way.

I'll stop digging these things up now, I promise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T72TopWbXJg surely

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
I hope that it'll get increasingly cynical and miserable as the weeks go by, so by episode 6, the whole show is nothing but:

"The Tories are loving us over again. I love my country *sigh*"

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

The more classical version. Can't beat the Copper smoking a joint with a very nice Jamaican lady.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

SeanBeansShako posted:

The more classical version. Can't beat the Copper smoking a joint with a very nice Jamaican lady.

I've only just realised that old lady is at a bus stop and the guy is going "Do you want to borrow my car?" I always thought he had nicked her keys as a little joke.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
How does I Love My Country compare to the mental Noel's HQ thing that Sky had on a couple years ago? I'm guessing it's a bit less "It's PC/H&S gone mad", how does it compare in the nationalism stakes?

I'm not really expecting an answer, I don't think anybody ITT actually watched Noel's HQ

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

onoflalks posted:

How does I Love My Country compare to the mental Noel's HQ thing that Sky had on a couple years ago? I'm guessing it's a bit less "It's PC/H&S gone mad", how does it compare in the nationalism stakes?

I'm not really expecting an answer, I don't think anybody ITT actually watched Noel's HQ

Noel's HQ was a bit Daily Mail.

I live in Scotland and I support the union. I don't really like the SNP and I like the concept of Britain as a nation. Then I saw this and I can't wait to get the gently caress out of the UK.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
Peter loving Capaldi is the new Doctor Who.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

7seven7 posted:

Is he going to play it English or Scottish?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
My dream of an obscenely foul mouthed Scottish accented Doctor may come true after all.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

7seven7 posted:

I wonder if he'll leave after a few seasons like ecclestone did, because the writing is inevitably not going to be up to the standard he's used to on shows like the thick of it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Ponce de Le0n posted:

I wonder if he'll leave after a few seasons like ecclestone did, because the writing is inevitably not going to be up to the standard he's used to on shows like the thick of it.

You're right, he's only starred in one episode previously, been a major character on it's spin-off show and is a self admitted life long fan whose auditioned for the role several times - HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE'S LETTING HIMSELF IN FOR! :jerkbag:

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

My dream of an obscenely foul mouthed Scottish accented Doctor may come true after all.

My dream of a thousand poorly edited-together Tumblr/Youtube mashups of the Thick of It and Doctor Who will definitely come true.

SpaceGodzilla
Sep 24, 2012

I sure hope Godzilla-senpai notices me~

Ponce de Le0n posted:

Every Doctor leaves after a few seasons. That's kind of the point of the show. Eccleston was notable for leaving after just one.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I wish, just for his term as the doctor, they would put the show on after the watershed and let Peter Capaldi go absolutely apeshit on some Daleks.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

You're right, he's only starred in one episode previously, been a major character on it's spin-off show and is a self admitted life long fan whose auditioned for the role several times - HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE'S LETTING HIMSELF IN FOR! :jerkbag:

Work's work, to be honest, i never said he didn't know what he let himself in for, i was just making the point that the writing and story in dr who is really poor compared to a lot of the other stuff he has been in, i was wondering if he might get really disillusioned with the job like ecclestone did, when he has to try and genuinely act surprised and shocked when he is inevitibly battling against the daleks for the umpteenth time.

Also there is a massive difference between being a fan when you were 15 and the nostalgia that brings with it and lending your name to something you dont think is the best work later in life, I think he is a really good actor and will do the job well but you can only work with what you are given.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Ponce de Le0n posted:

Also there is a massive difference between being a fan when you were 15 and the nostalgia that brings with it and lending your name to something you dont think is the best work later in life, I think he is a really good actor and will do the job well but you can only work with what you are given.

Well being a fan of the show as it is now, to the point where he stopped Matt Smith in the street to tell him how much he loved his first episode on the show probably means he's well aware of what he's lending his name for.

Do you really think that after a couple of seasons he will realize this isn't the show he signed up for? He's not a moron.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

Do you really think that after a couple of seasons he will realize this isn't the show he signed up for? He's not a moron.

If it doesn't produce anything interesting and keeps recycling storylines that are just marginally different, yeah, i fully believe that will happen.

How many times can dr who face the daleks or cybermen and it still be worth watching.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I gave up on dr who when they had that Bertie basset monster. I imagine that would prove the final straw for Capaldi too.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

Do you really think that after a couple of seasons he will realize this isn't the show he signed up for?

He knows what he signed up for.

All the crazy fangirl sex he can get.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Ponce de Le0n posted:

Call me naive, but I reckon he'll have more than a passing familiarity with the show.

The number of years actors have stuck with the role is: 3,3,4,7,3,3,9,1 (single movie),1,5,5,4. So 3-5 is pretty much the standard range.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Pissflaps posted:

I gave up on dr who when they had that Bertie basset monster. I imagine that would prove the final straw for Capaldi too.

Don't pretend you wouldn't like to go mano-a-mano against Bertie Bassett for the fate of the universe, Pissflaps. Be a big goddamn hero while getting to stuff yourself full of delicious sweets in the process? No one would turn that poo poo down.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'd eat that sugary fucker to death.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

PriorMarcus posted:

Well I rang up and she is definitely on the 5mb offering, she's not been upgraded since she first got the internet, and all of the equipment is old to match.

They have offered us a couple of changes, but none of them I'm that happy with. I've looked at Sky prices and she'd get more for less, she's just reluctant to switch over because of the repair charges with Sky if anything goes wrong. However Virgin doesn't need to know that so I might start the cancellation process and see what they offer.

It's ridiculous that he so called loyalty discount keeps her paying the same amount that new customers do when she's getting a shittier service, and despite speaking to three different people none of them seem to agree this is an issue.

Virgins terribly expensive. I'm on the XL package and its like £112 pound a month. I had to move to Virgin when we bought a house last year as Sky didnt get any broadband connection or good signal where I am, yet Virgin had the fibre optic already installed.

I'd switch back to sky in a heartbeat if I could. Their customer service was always great too, the slightest complaint and theyd give stuff for free. Ive been on Virgin for a year now, and Sky have been sending me leaflets for 25%, 50% and even 75% off if I switch back to them.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
One hundred and twelve pounds ?

Surely if there's a phone line you can get sky can't you?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Depends where the local exchange is. Virgin's cables go to some places that can get gently caress-all in the way of decent ADSL.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Pissflaps posted:

Checking the VM website thats the price of the top VIP package: 100mb/s internet and loads of TV channels including SkySports.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Pissflaps posted:

Yeah its their top package and was on a half price deal + £70 credit when I got it. and its been bumped up since

From talking to my neighbours before I moved in the phone lines in this area are really old, and anyone who has the standard lines has issues with their broadband and phones whenever the weathers too rainy or too sunny.

I want to switch to a smaller package but I just havent got round to doing the calculations, I need to call up and complain anyway because I believe we dont get ESPN/BT now its switched.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Huh, they've brought back Knightmare for YouTube's Geek Week. With 20-something YouTube nerds rather than kids playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74r-EbIqt9s

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Veotax posted:

Huh, they've brought back Knightmare for YouTube's Geek Week. With 20-something YouTube nerds rather than kids playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74r-EbIqt9s

I was so stoked to hear that this was going to come back for an episode but, having watched that, it's just a bunch of awkward white people. It's a little too self aware, like everyone's in on a joke that we're not privy to. Treguard still rocks though.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Knightmare was always a bit self aware and awkward. I think they nailed it, personally.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

DaWolfey posted:

Knightmare was always a bit self aware and awkward. I think they nailed it, personally.

Maybe so, but the contestants were never in on it too. Even the most insufferable kids weren't as bad as people they chose to have on it. I looked them up and apparently they have millions of subscribers to their Youtube channels. Maybe I just don't understand Youtube.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Dr. Who confuses me because the Doctor himself always seems pretty decently written and acted but then every other character and event happening around him is just a terrible parody of something no one seems quite sure of. I always feel like it's a giant joke I'm on the cusp of understanding but never quite get there.

Wabznasm
Jul 19, 2006

Rof Rof

DaWolfey posted:

I don't know, I never cringed quite this much at the old one, even as an adult watching it on Challenge.

Daedo
May 5, 2002
There a a live version of Knightmare happening at the fringe this year and I'm really tempted to go see it. Seems like a lot of the people from this Geek Week version are involved though for people who didn't like that

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

PriorMarcus posted:

Well I rang up and she is definitely on the 5mb offering, she's not been upgraded since she first got the internet, and all of the equipment is old to match.

They have offered us a couple of changes, but none of them I'm that happy with. I've looked at Sky prices and she'd get more for less, she's just reluctant to switch over because of the repair charges with Sky if anything goes wrong. However Virgin doesn't need to know that so I might start the cancellation process and see what they offer.

It's ridiculous that he so called loyalty discount keeps her paying the same amount that new customers do when she's getting a shittier service, and despite speaking to three different people none of them seem to agree this is an issue.

I had this same issue with Virgin a few years back. They never informed me of different package availabilities and kept on giving me this "loyalty" discount. It wasn't until I looked at the packages that were out that i realised how poo poo a deal we were getting compared against their own services.

Basically, an ISP isn't going to tell you of the ways to get their services for cheaper until you've noticed you're being ripped off and make the effort to get it changed yourself. Viva capitalism.

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty
New Knightmare did the job for a twenty-something minute piece of marketing to us kids of the 80s who loved the original and to reel us in. Treguard, Lord Fear and Lizzard were all nice to see back and obviously enjoying it.

What I didn't like: The set (where's my TV chest/mirror/pool?), Isy Suttie did nothing but waste my time at the start & Treguard breaking the fourth wall with contestants present. Speaking of: The contestants just didn't seem to engage with the whole thing, probably torn between cashing the YouTube paycheck and thinking of their younger demographic fans mocking them for taking part in this weird programme they've never heard of.

And there was no loving fire in the background :spergin: (but we did get an 'Oooooh, naaasty' to even things out)

Cringing? Awkward?

Like last weekend, Challenge showed an episode with a kid telling a gargoyle he was lovely and looked nice. It was the first Winning Quest... It was a different time, man.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Maybe its true what they say; you can never go home. It made my flesh crawl with embarrassment at those gormless pricks competing. I used to love it, but could only sit through about seven minutes of this.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Challenge has been showing episodes of Fun House too. What a pile of shite, the game props were obviously constructed out of papier mâché, it takes loving years to get into the fun house itself, the obviously excruciatingly embarrassed cheerleaders are forced to plunge their hands into goo while smiling manically, and all the prizes are like "glass engraving set" and "leather briefcase" (every child's wildest desire). I used to genuinely enjoy this as a child. I feel ashamed of myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

ThomasPaine posted:

Dr. Who confuses me because the Doctor himself always seems pretty decently written and acted but then every other character and event happening around him is just a terrible parody of something no one seems quite sure of. I always feel like it's a giant joke I'm on the cusp of understanding but never quite get there.

Sci-fi at its best comments on the human condition by obfuscating present issues with the lens of the future and fantastic technology that can achieve things that we can't. These shiny bright things allow you to watch an episode about race relations without it being an episode explicitly about race relations. This means it can be eminently watchable, after all it's a fictional show, not a sermon on how treating X group badly is a bad thing. However like most sci-fi the bright spots are often surrounded by a lot of either poo poo stuff or painfully mediocre crap. Even the best sci-fi writers tend to have some sort of flaw with their work, Asimov's characters aren't anything special, Orson Scott Card is a straight up hateful moron, Philip K. Dick's plots tend to be a little predictable in their unpredictability and so on.

To compound that Doctor Who has been running a long rear end time so even with an OK writer you have a bunch of problems in terms of making things new and exciting, the obvious and most fundamentally stupid idea is to increase the threat that the Doctor has to deal with. Which is why you had RTD's first series finale Doctor Who involving future Earth being threatened by the Daleks, next season it was two Earths are threatened, next it was the Universe (because that's the obvious progression see), then you have something about black hole missiles (not really remembering this one), finally at the end of RTD's run it was ALL UNIVERSES EVERYWHERE THROUGHOUT TIME AND SPACE.

The current show-runner Moffat has his own host of problems that you can pretty much find quite easily (he writes terrible female characters and holds rather dated views on women in general) but people like him because occasionally you get a good scene or episode and there isn't the whole family drama that occurred in RTDs run.