Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Oh hey, a thing:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I would kill for a mod that made the game look like this.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Fazana posted:

I've built a little triple 5x5 cow farming room using Minefactory Reloaded (adults with breeder/chrono feeding to baby room with chrono feeding to grinder room) but I'm being plagued by something I presume is a vanilla mechanic. After a while the number of cows in the opening room gets to the point where it's just solid beef and they are squeezing through the wall cracks to wander around the rest of the build looking confused.

I can only presume it's vanilla MC spawning extra cows for me because there's some already there without the intermediate baby cow step, is there any way to prevent that? Or if I'm completely wrong and it's a known mechanic from something, how to calm it down? Even hosted on a server its turning my craptop client into an unrunnable mess within a short period of time.

Edit: Literally in the time I typed this post the 2 cows I had left alive in the opening room is back up to 6 cows already. I could sell the secret of cow multiplication to Maccy D's for zillions if I knew what it was!

Setting up a 9x9 tree planter/harvester and switching it on still holds the record for closest to setting my laptop on fire though, it was seconds per frame until I got that switched off in a hurry :v:

If you're not too familiar with it, when using MFR breeders non-stop(constantly supplied and always on) you're going to be birthing 4 baby cows in the time it takes the oldest one to become an adult. It takes a baby 20 minutes to grow in to an adult naturally, and only 5 minutes between breeding attempts. To keep them from escaping through corners, the easiest way is to make sure the area your babies end up in have at least a 2-block thick wall. Use Glass for the inner-most blocks to reduce the rate your cows suffocate to death when the adulthood model swap happens and they end up half-in the wall.

Another method to prevent escapes is to have the babies end up dropping in to a room below their parents, so they congregate in the middle rather than along the side closest to the parents.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Ixjuvin posted:

Man, you know something is hosed up when the guy who names himself after the god of erections is skeeved out by it.
This is too beautiful to simply let it disappear into the ether.

But no seriously those boobs are awful.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

vulturesrow posted:

Thanks. It hasn't been _that_ long since I last played but it seems like things are changing fast these days. To manually add a mod to modpack do I still have to unpack the minecraft.jar and all that nonsense? Or is there an easier way now? I want to add the mods to Wylker's that he couldn't include.

With Forge (which is what the Technic Launcher uses) all you have to do is drop the mod zip file into the mods folder in the technic pack directory. It's possible you will have to change some item IDs in the mod's config file, if they conflict with already existing ones. I think the launcher tries to assign new IDs automatically, so mods that just add new items/blocks are usually fine.

Keep in mind that updates will remove any mods you've added to a modpack. I've found you can just re-add the mods afterwards without any trouble, as long as you don't load your save up first.

Cicadalek fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 3, 2013

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

metasynthetic posted:

Oh hey, a thing:

Now make another with lasers so we can have NOD laser fences. :getin:

Seriously tho, thats pretty cool, does it/will it draw on some kind of energy?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm using the Dynamic Liquid Tanks mod, the one where you can make your tanks look like any block, and need a controller on every level, and I've got some odd bugs.
First off, whenever I empty a bucket into the tank, I lose the bucket. I really don't think that's working as intended.
Secondly, but much more of a minor issue, when I camouflage a tank, the blocks slowly 'decay' and lose their camo, turning back into the default glass appearance at random intervals in the same way leaves decay or dry farmland reverts to dirt.

Anyone run into these?

E: Looks like both are problems with the mod version and was fixed in 1.6.2. I'll see if I can find a fixed version that still runs on 1.5.
E2: On further examination, there is no version for 1.5 that has these bugs fixed. If you want 1.5.2 compatibility, you're going to have the bugs.

That's a bummer.
Well, are there any other recommended tank mods, or should I just bite the bullet and grab Railcraft again? I suppose it wasn't that bad, all things considered.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 3, 2013

Mutamu
Aug 10, 2011

He's Doctor, (pause), Doctor Shark!
I was thinking about meat earlier. Has anyone created a mystcraft page for a meat block material modifier and/or a liquid meat liquid modifier? :getin:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

metasynthetic posted:

Oh hey, a thing:

This is hilarious to me as I just today finally found out the name of the mod* with a similar-looking force wall thing it I was looking for. Looks good! Seems more flexible for use than the one I was looking for.

*Defense mod by the guy who makes Sufficient Number of Biomes

Mutamu posted:

I was thinking about meat earlier. Has anyone created a mystcraft page for a meat block material modifier and/or a liquid meat liquid modifier? :getin:

I agree with this idea. One time I found a world once I refer to as "hell meatball". Meat oceans / blocks would have made it even better.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Mutamu posted:

That would make an interstellar gastronomic delicacy.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Massive meat factories churning out meat ingots, blocks and rivers of pink slime are awesome. But what I really want is a soylent green style alternative. :unsmigghh:

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Shadowmorn posted:

Now make another with lasers so we can have NOD laser fences. :getin:

Seriously tho, thats pretty cool, does it/will it draw on some kind of energy?

Not yet. I plan to have the low-tier items (like those pictured) provide basic functionality even without power, but to enhance it if you do. Probably by increasing blast resistance, extending field range, something like that. The pictured ones I want to be useful to someone who's at the tech level where they just built their first pulverizer, cheap enough for use as a fence, window, bridge, door, etc. They aren't very strong but they work.

I have some ideas on extending the functionality beyond simple barriers, but one step at a time. I'm still figuring out what I want to do versus what I'm capable of doing. I haven't done much actual programming for a few years, and I'm learning Java as I go.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Tsurupettan posted:

Massive meat factories churning out meat ingots, blocks and rivers of pink slime are awesome. But what I really want is a soylent green style alternative. :unsmigghh:

In tinkers constuct you can melt down villagers into liquid emerald. Supposedly there's an emerald cast somewhere but I can't find it and the liquid emerald is useless without it and you can't scoop liquid emeralds or metals once you have put them out in the world.

Edit:

RaspberryCommie posted:

Couldn't you pour it into a casting basin and then turn the blocks back into emeralds?

I've tried that and it doesn't work.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 3, 2013

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

SugarAddict posted:

In tinkers constuct you can melt down villagers into liquid emerald. Supposedly there's an emerald cast somewhere but I can't find it and the liquid emerald is useless without it and you can't scoop liquid emeralds or metals once you have put them out in the world.

Couldn't you pour it into a casting basin and then turn the blocks back into emeralds?

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

SugarAddict posted:

Edit:

I've tried that and it doesn't work.

...Oh god the fact it makes liquid emeralds is so goddamn perfect. Soylent green.

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe

metasynthetic posted:

I have some ideas on extending the functionality beyond simple barriers, but one step at a time.

A lighted version would be obvious as an option. Some sort of sound dampening might be cool too as an option other than zapping, frying, levitating, and cooking mobs.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

metasynthetic posted:

I have some ideas on extending the functionality beyond simple barriers, but one step at a time.

Do one that teleports trespassers, and do a deliberately-faulty teleport one that duplicates trespassers, drawing a big power surge. Duplicating entities in exchange for power sounds pretty cool, although dunno how you'd deal with players (named zombie?).

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

Penguingo posted:

Do one that teleports trespassers, and do a deliberately-faulty teleport one that duplicates trespassers, drawing a big power surge. Duplicating entities in exchange for power sounds pretty cool, although dunno how you'd deal with players (named zombie?).
A fly faced player model.

Added bonus: Jeff Goldblum quotes, from other movies.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

This is the stuff that dreams are made of.

Dreams and noise complaints. :shepface: I could fit two more in beneath my feet, too. I'm only actually using the first three near the front, I haven't built up AE yet nor am I using much power beyond just basic factories and MFR farms. I guess I should start replacing my UE cable entirely instead of just partially.

I also have a 10x10x6 space prepared below this room for a big reactor. :v:

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 3, 2013

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Is there a good 'getting started with toast' guide somewhere? There is just so much stuff going on that I have no clue where to start.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Saxophone posted:

Is there a good 'getting started with toast' guide somewhere? There is just so much stuff going on that I have no clue where to start.

I like to start with Tinkerer's construct. It doesn't need a ton of materials to set up and you can make steel hammers/excavators pretty easily, which are really game changing in the 'still digging things up' phase.

e: I haven't tried them myself but the others on the server with me love BetterFurnaces, too, and they don't seem super hard to make?

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 3, 2013

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Saxophone posted:

Seconded. Thanks for the recommendation on Tinkerer's construct Tsurupettan. I probably last played around Christmas or a little after and so many of these mods have improved or expanded I feel like I'm starting all over.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Yo Wylker I keep trying to fire up your modpack but it just goes to a grey screen and hangs forever, whats the deal with this thing? I've heard it takes a while to load up but this is ridiculous.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Apparently my problem is I had not noticed the video settings
Turning everything down to the lowest setting makes everything run like a dream. Played way too much with Toast last night. Greg's prospecting tool looked iffy at first but it's made mining way more fun.

I'm eyeing omp-a, as it seems like it has a lot of awesome poo poo like towers, dungeons, tools and buffs, etc. But it's minecraft so they all take ores to make. Are there any prospecting tools in that mod that I'm not seeing?

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

McFrugal posted:

That would make an interstellar gastronomic delicacy.

Just in case nobody gets it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7K9SycELA

Twistershift
Feb 7, 2007
Maybe someone can help me. My Toast is not working anymore, and I can't figure out why. I had a Java meltdown yesterday, but managed to get everything else working (Tekkit, Big Dig, Hack/Mine, and vanilla) fine. It will hang on the Mojang splash screen and either not respond or throw an error report. It worked fine yesterday, even with the latest patch. I'm stumped, and I really don't want to do another fresh install.

Squirrelo
Mar 3, 2008

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Apparently my problem is I had not noticed the video settings
Turning everything down to the lowest setting makes everything run like a dream. Played way too much with Toast last night. Greg's prospecting tool looked iffy at first but it's made mining way more fun.

I'm eyeing omp-a, as it seems like it has a lot of awesome poo poo like towers, dungeons, tools and buffs, etc. But it's minecraft so they all take ores to make. Are there any prospecting tools in that mod that I'm not seeing?

Nope. Although it does have the tweak where all ores should be at all levels. No more digging forever for redstone and diamond.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Aw crap. Ores appearing everywhere is nice, but prospecting is so much more fun than just digging randomly.

Latest toast game I managed to get a shitload of diamonds, which usually never happens, and then I used the equivalent exchange stone to make them in to iron. Diamond becomes four gold each becoming 8 iron, so you don't have to dig for each vanilla recipe separately. The tinkers addition of slimes kind of made that way too easy, though, they appear a poo poo ton, split into little slimes, and each of them has a chance to make one of those little slimes that can drop that red thing you need eight of to make the stone.

I am kind of frustrated that I made the power suit but I cannot add flight capabilities until I reach the nether fortress. The entire point of making the suit was to make infiltrating the nether easier so I wouldn't have to build bridges everywhere, but apparently I need a full tesseract, which requires a magma crucible, which requires nether brick. I'll have to have some test runs with the suit first. Next weekend. Already overplayed this last night. :negative: Have a whole folder of plans for how to make my next base and what to put where.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Yonic Symbolism posted:

The entire point of making the suit was to make infiltrating the nether easier so I wouldn't have to build bridges everywhere, but apparently I need a full tesseract, which requires a magma crucible, which requires nether brick.

You can smelt netherrack into nether bricks. You can also combine netherrack and soul sand in an induction smelter.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Aw crap. Ores appearing everywhere is nice, but prospecting is so much more fun than just digging randomly.

Latest toast game I managed to get a shitload of diamonds, which usually never happens, and then I used the equivalent exchange stone to make them in to iron. Diamond becomes four gold each becoming 8 iron, so you don't have to dig for each vanilla recipe separately. The tinkers addition of slimes kind of made that way too easy, though, they appear a poo poo ton, split into little slimes, and each of them has a chance to make one of those little slimes that can drop that red thing you need eight of to make the stone.

I am kind of frustrated that I made the power suit but I cannot add flight capabilities until I reach the nether fortress. The entire point of making the suit was to make infiltrating the nether easier so I wouldn't have to build bridges everywhere, but apparently I need a full tesseract, which requires a magma crucible, which requires nether brick. I'll have to have some test runs with the suit first. Next weekend. Already overplayed this last night. :negative: Have a whole folder of plans for how to make my next base and what to put where.

Build yourself glider wings and the super jump module, will help for the time being.

Sirithil
May 31, 2013

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I am kind of frustrated that I made the power suit but I cannot add flight capabilities until I reach the nether fortress. The entire point of making the suit was to make infiltrating the nether easier so I wouldn't have to build bridges everywhere, but apparently I need a full tesseract, which requires a magma crucible, which requires nether brick.
Make a portal, open it, and mine the first eight netherrack you see.

Toss them into a furnace to smelt them into nether bricks (individual bricks like the ones you get from clay balls). Then assemble the eight bricks into two nether brick blocks and you're good to go for your crucible.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone have any clues about the magic bees hives that only spawn in special locations? Far as I can tell there are at least 4 of them, I've found 2.

There are these netherrack/yellow ones in the nether that look very similar to Ardite Ore, but brighter colored. They seem to appear with/in veins of nether quartz, proximity to a nether fortress may or may not be a factor.

There are Oblivion Hives in the end, and they are easy to find. Just fly under the island and look for obsidian poles hanging down, they will be on top of these, just dig into the end stone to find em.

Supposedly, there is one that looks similar to redstone, and spawns in redstone veins, but maybe only in biomes that count as hills? I have yet to find any of these.

There is also supposed to be one that spawns in the overworld, near (on?) bedrock, surrounded by end stone. May or may not have to be a "magic" biome, whatever that actually means in the overworld. I did some sample drilling to bedrock on some mushroom islands without any luck there.

These hives do not show up in NEI for me, but it's possible the pack I am playing needs to update it's plugins or something. As a side note, it's possible to collect these and the other magic (and I think extra, but not regular) bee hives using the Silk Cutter from Thaumic Tinkerer.

Izam
Jun 6, 2005

Saxophone posted:

Been playing Toast for a bit, here's how I tackle the initial spawn:

01. Get a tree farm set up, just plant them next to each other (treecap and all).
02. Use the excess lumber to setup your Tinker tables and maybe some basic tools if you've dug around a bit while waiting for trees.
03. Mine blindly for a while, basic macerating with AE grinder, a small smelting setup, and new tool crafting afterwards.
04. Make some decent armor, just enough to take a nice wallop or two. If you want automation for early game throw a Mekanism solar panel on a buildcraft wooden conductive pipe for hassle free power (little square facing the pipe of course.)
05. Make a minium stone and build a portal to the nether by converting logs to obsidian, grab some glowstone and haul rear end out of there.
06. Once your back home, dig through your chests and put together the Mining Radar from Greg's Prospects and a few backpacks.

After amassing an absurd amount of resources you can tech into basic MFR/Rednet/AE/What-have-you for home automation. Then its simply branching out into what you want to devise. On an extra note, I like using Magical Crops just to avoid digging/wasting time for rare resources.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I hate to be a bother so this is the last time I'll ask. A few of us here have a modified toast server set up. We have a platform link so it's easy to download, and we're looking for some more people to come hang out on it. Let me know if you're interested. PvP is enabled but it's a non PvP server. Just building and having fun. Dynmap and Teamspeak are also up.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I haven't used Big Reactors til now. I'm at the point where I am going to start adding rods. What's the ideal placement for rods? I watched Wylker's video and saw I want water in there. Do I ideally want them surrounded on all sides by water, or would having water on one side work? What's the most efficient? I've got a 10x10x6 so I have 8x8x4 of interior space usable.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
What's the story behind the current thread title?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Ixjuvin posted:

Yo Wylker I keep trying to fire up your modpack but it just goes to a grey screen and hangs forever, whats the deal with this thing? I've heard it takes a while to load up but this is ridiculous.

Make sure you have it set to 2gb and check the permgen option thingy.

kerpow
Jan 13, 2006

Garfu posted:

I hate to be a bother so this is the last time I'll ask. A few of us here have a modified toast server set up. We have a platform link so it's easy to download, and we're looking for some more people to come hang out on it. Let me know if you're interested. PvP is enabled but it's a non PvP server. Just building and having fun. Dynmap and Teamspeak are also up.

I'm interested. What other mods are in it?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

kerpow posted:

I'm interested. What other mods are in it?

Anyone active late in CST on the server?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
I was just thinking about how I'm a bit burnt out on skyden right now and was looking forward to another tech mod pack - how is the server population for Australian Eastern, 5 pm and later on weekdays?

• Locked thread