Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Does anyone know how they choose the Hall of Fame Game teams? Is it just a raffle? Because the choices always seem so random to me. Cowboys vs Dolphins and last year was Saints and Cardinals. Obviously it is AFC vs NFC, but beyond that I just can't see a pattern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomic Spud
Jun 24, 2013

Chichevache posted:

Does anyone know how they choose the Hall of Fame Game teams? Is it just a raffle? Because the choices always seem so random to me. Cowboys vs Dolphins and last year was Saints and Cardinals. Obviously it is AFC vs NFC, but beyond that I just can't see a pattern.

Aren't both the Saints and Cards in the NFC?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Atomic Spud posted:

Aren't both the Saints and Cards in the NFC?

poo poo. You're right. Well now I'm really confused

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

From Wikipedia "With the exceptions of 2009 and 2012, the opponents for each game have typically included one AFC team against one NFC team since 1971. In 2009, as recognition of the 50th season of the charter members of the American Football League, the game paired two of the "original eight" franchises of that league, the Tennessee Titans (dressed as their previous incarnation, the Houston Oilers) and the Buffalo Bills, whose owner, Ralph Wilson, was inducted into the Hall that year." so it's apparently AFC vs NFC except when they don't feel like it.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So in other words, it's totally random and two teams get stuck with 5 preseason games for no real reason. Got it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I was hoping they would have some rhyme or reason, like at least choosing teams that some of the inductees played for. So if four of the inductees had played for the Cowboys or Dolphins this year would make sense. Otherwise... :shrug:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Benne posted:

So in other words, it's totally random and two teams get stuck with 5 preseason games for no real reason. Got it.

Fortunately, nobody watches it anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Deteriorata posted:

Fortunately, nobody watches it anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

I already have my recording set up just in case I can't watch the whole thing live.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Anyone that has Gamepass know any working promo codes this season for Season Plus? Or a referral link.

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 9, 2013

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
I have a referral link bt it doesn't make it any cheaper http://gamepass.nfl.com/nflgp/raf/UUMCHTKRDW8R

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
How much non-video data do defensive coordinators have available during the season? What kind of things do they use to predict which route a receiver will run on a given play, how deep they'll break, how frequently they're targeted on a given play/when running that route? How much of this detailed information is available to them, where does it come from, and most importantly how deep do they go into analysis? I'm assuming it's mostly video based and they go by those screenshots you see in binders, but was curious as to how extensively numerical analysis comes into play.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Good Will Hrunting posted:

How much non-video data do defensive coordinators have available during the season? What kind of things do they use to predict which route a receiver will run on a given play, how deep they'll break, how frequently they're targeted on a given play/when running that route? How much of this detailed information is available to them, where does it come from, and most importantly how deep do they go into analysis? I'm assuming it's mostly video based and they go by those screenshots you see in binders, but was curious as to how extensively numerical analysis comes into play.

As much as they want, pending the sleep needs of their QCs. Generally you can reverse engineer an opponent's playbook pretty well from a couple games of video for all of this stuff, although obviously you don't have their terminology.

Good coaches are able to figure out tells for what the other team will do when. Better coaches are able to self-scout their own tells and act accordingly.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Can someone explain why like 3 of the first 4 draft picks were used on right tackles? And why they are using the drafted left tackles to play the right tackle position? Are the skillsets different? I would think that a good left tackle would be a great right tackle, and a good right tackle would make an ok to poor left tackle

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

The plan will be to move them to the left as they gain more experience. Fisher, Joeckel, and Johnson are all regarded as stud left tackle prospects but it sometimes takes a bit of time to bed into. Fluker's too slow for the left but he's such a monster and San Diego were so desperate, he went in the first anyway.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Also more and more the elite pass rushers are now going after the RT since the LT is presumably the better player.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

It really underscores how Jake Long was a monster prospect given how he stepped in and immediately was a top 5 LT in the NFL

(miss u)

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
For the Eagles specifically, not that they couldn't use either side at the RT spot, but they needed a RT much more than LT.

Those guys were consensus Top 5 picks as well, even in places that weren't The Lineman Funhouse like here. They just happened to play RT in college.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Some folks I previously worked with were able to leave astrophysics and start their own business when they started applying some of the statistical analysis tools to football statistics. Things like how often quarterback 'w' on team 'x' throws to the left side when faced with defense alignment 'y' with 'z' minutes left in the half.

Once entered, they run modeling programs and Monte Carlo simulations to predict risk and potential outcomes.

I haven't spoken with them in a while but I've heard they are communicating with teams at every level..

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

oddIXIbbo posted:

Some folks I previously worked with were able to leave astrophysics and start their own business when they started applying some of the statistical analysis tools to football statistics. Things like how often quarterback 'w' on team 'x' throws to the left side when faced with defense alignment 'y' with 'z' minutes left in the half.

Once entered, they run modeling programs and Monte Carlo simulations to predict risk and potential outcomes.

I haven't spoken with them in a while but I've heard they are communicating with teams at every level..

That's really cool. One of the reasons I asked is because I've been playing around with HTML5's "canvas" and also some SVG libraries. I've been attempting to turn tracked data into visualizations. It's a hobby project that I've only just begun, but it seems like a reasonably barren problem domain, at least on the level I'm envisioning.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

oddIXIbbo posted:

That sounds really cool, but football resists these sort of sabermetric efforts because there are so many more moving pieces than baseball. In baseball it is essentially the same play repeated over 2000 games over a 100 years of record. That's a lot of data. In football, you may only have 30 pass attempts in a game, and to different receivers with different coverages in different yardage situations. There are just too many variables with too few plays for this to make sense. It becomes a model of the simplfying assumptions instead of anything more illuminating.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Ron Jeremy posted:

That sounds really cool, but football resists these sort of sabermetric efforts because there are so many more moving pieces than baseball.

I don't think that's it. I work in basketball, where there is plenty of moving pieces, and much more acceptance of analytic efforts, although obviously still not nearly universal. I was at a stats-in-sports conference a few years ago and saw a panel of football assistant GMs discussing the topic. When they were asked how their coaches used analytics, they kind of averted their eyes and said that they supply the coach with the data and it's up to him to use it as he sees fit, implying that their coaches had no use for it. Things may be different now or maybe among other teams, but it sure seems to me like football coaches are still at the place baseball managers were in the pre-Bill James era.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
It really depends on how you would use a program like that. Its going to be more accurate about how good an idea it is to go for a 4th down with 4 minutes left then say, should I throw or pass on the 5th play of the game. In short time situations, just the way football flows constrains the problem enough where you could probably just be using the league averages of possible play successes, timeout usage, etc.

Just having it around to effectively use time outs at the end of the game is probably worth while.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Blitz7x posted:

Can someone explain why like 3 of the first 4 draft picks were used on right tackles? And why they are using the drafted left tackles to play the right tackle position? Are the skillsets different? I would think that a good left tackle would be a great right tackle, and a good right tackle would make an ok to poor left tackle

IN the Eagles case, they needed Line help basically everywhere and Johnson was the BPA pick. And Jason Peters owns so hard at LT.

When not drag racing. Or injuring himself on a wheel-a-bout

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I don't know if it is in the scope of this thread, but it is a rookie question so here goes: for Packers and Bengals fans who do you follow for good reporting? I've currently got both teams followed on twitter and I also got Rob Demovsky followed as well. Is he a good follow? Who are the good local guys for both teams?

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Lessail posted:

I don't know if it is in the scope of this thread, but it is a rookie question so here goes: for Packers and Bengals fans who do you follow for good reporting? I've currently got both teams followed on twitter and I also got Rob Demovsky followed as well. Is he a good follow? Who are the good local guys for both teams?

Joe Reedy is the main beat writer for the Bengals. For non-twitter sources the Bengals SBNation blog (Cincy Jungle) is also pretty good.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
What does it mean when the third preseason game is referred to as a dress rehearsal? Will every team keep their starters out the entire game or what? And if the third game is the rehearsal, what does that mean for game four?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Starters are out there the longest, typically, but not longer than about a half. It's also the time they might call more of the actual plays they'll run in the regular season.

And yes, it means game 4 is almost all backups. Often that's because they want to see the most of those guys right before they have to make some cuts, so they want to see the backups a lot.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Spaseman posted:

What does it mean when the third preseason game is referred to as a dress rehearsal? Will every team keep their starters out the entire game or what? And if the third game is the rehearsal, what does that mean for game four?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWmQbk5h86w

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
That answer owns so hard

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

If anyone has questions about rules or officiating, the rules thread is once again open for business and welcomes all questions, no matter how basic.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3566056

SmutAnEggs
Jan 1, 2006
1.) Is there way to find out when the Packers will play the Dolphins at Lambeau again?
2.) How long till Burt Fave is inducted to the Hall o Fame as a Packer?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
1. Not definitively I don't think, you can probably figure out when the AFCE gets the NFCN next but it would depend on the previous year's finish.
2. That's probatable these days I believe and never because you don't enter the HoF with a particular team. Or you could look at it as 2016 when he'll enter as a Packer (and Falcon, Jet and Viking).

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Football players don't retire as a member of any team.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

1. Not definitively I don't think, you can probably figure out when the AFCE gets the NFCN next but it would depend on the previous year's finish.

The inter-conference match ups have nothing to do with previous years finishes, and actually the inter divisional within the same conference match ups home/away aren't determined by previous record, just the 2 games of the schedule matching you with the other teams that finished with your ranking in their respective divisions changes.

The Dolphins play the Packers in GB in 2018, so some time after Brett Favre is inducted to the Hall of Fame, unless he decides to come back again/

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Real hurthling! posted:

Football players don't retire as a member of any team.

They absolutely do

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SteelAngel2000 posted:

They absolutely do

I meant like in baseball but was too vague

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Real hurthling! posted:

There's nothing equivalent to the HoF plaque cap but you do see all sorts of players signing symbolic one-day contracts with teams they played on for a long time so they can say they "retired an x".

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

KettleWL posted:

The inter-conference match ups have nothing to do with previous years finishes, and actually the inter divisional within the same conference match ups home/away aren't determined by previous record, just the 2 games of the schedule matching you with the other teams that finished with your ranking in their respective divisions changes.

The Dolphins play the Packers in GB in 2018, so some time after Brett Favre is inducted to the Hall of Fame, unless he decides to come back again/

Huh did that change at some point? I remember trying to figure this out a long time ago for some matchup or other, I guess it's entirely possible I just screwed up.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Real hurthling! posted:

To clarify because technically correct, etc, football players 100% retire with a team. They are not inducted into the Hall of Fame as a member of a team (no logo on a jersey/helmet/whatever).

All the teams have their own Ring of Honor/Wall of Fame/Kiddie Pool of Immortality/Whatever for players whose identities are tied to those teams.

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pig in the City
Oct 7, 2007

That'll do, pig. That'll do.
Checking in. I'm Australian and trying to learn the game from a distance. Got myself Madden '12 and am taking the Seahawks to the Superbowl.

• Locked thread