Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

Does anyone have advice for house rental hunting with a buttload of pets? We have five cats (I know, what has my life become?) and it's my first time looking for a place with more than one pet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007

john mayer posted:

Does anyone have advice for house rental hunting with a buttload of pets? We have five cats (I know, what has my life become?) and it's my first time looking for a place with more than one pet.

I would look for a place that's privately owned (like your landlord is an actual person) rather than owned by a larger rental company. In my experience they're generally more flexible/forgiving. You might try Craigslist. That's how I found my place, and it's super cheap, my landlords are crazy old people who are there at a moment's notice if something needs repairs, and they allow pets without any number/size restrictions.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

john mayer posted:

I think the answer is to get rid of some of those drat cats or buy your own house to contain them.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

Kingnothing posted:

I think the answer is to get rid of some of those drat cats or buy your own house to contain them.

I wish. I want to buy them their own house and sequester them. :( We are not planning on staying in our current area much longer, so buying is out of the question. And our current place just sucks too much. It's making me crazy. Our copper pipes started having constant issues, and I feel like the plumber has practically moved in I see him so much.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Seconding finding a private landlord via Craigslist. I have two dogs and I didn't have too much of a problem finding somewhere to live. I've also found that renting a house/duplex vs. an apartment makes it much easier to have pets. Apartments have to worry about liability and people being assholes and not cleaning up after their pet, but if you have your own space with your own yard with no (or only one) adjacent walls they're a lot more lax.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
You can also find some private landlords by just driving around neighborhoods you like looking for "for rent" signs. Some of the older landlords don't know about this whole "internet" thing, so just hang up signs and hope people call.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Thanatosian posted:

You can also find some private landlords by just driving around neighborhoods you like looking for "for rent" signs. Some of the older landlords don't know about this whole "internet" thing, so just hang up signs and hope people call.

I feel sorry for the 20-somethings of tomorrow, after all the current old people have died off and the new old people are all internet-savvy.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Sure, we'll be internet savvy, but we won't be keen to the latest in facewitter or whatever. They'll be cruising around on their hoverboards through virtuspace all like 'Hey man, you know some old people still post text ads on this poo poo called 'Craigslist'? They haven't bothered to get a neural splice to brainblast their adfeeds, so they leave that poo poo there and hope someone just finds it. It's nuts!'

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I don't know if this belongs here or in the legal thread, but is there an official way to tell the authorities that whatever deadbeats lived here before no longer live here?

I got jolted out of bed this morning by an officer of the court incessantly ringing my doorbell looking for a former tenant to serve her court papers. I called my landlord to tell her to tell the former tenants to officially change their addresses already, but she says they left no forwarding address and she can't get ahold of any of them.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not really. Your landlord has no control over it, and papers get served to where whoever files them says to send them. I guess a criminal court would have his address on file, but then again I don't think a phone call saying "this guy doesn't live here anymore don't look for him here" will work in that case.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
So I'm moving to Massachusetts from out-of-state. Do I have this in the right order? I'm a bit confused with everything I read:

1. Convert license to MA license
2. Change car insurance to MA
3. Change registration

Or am I supposed to change the registration first?

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

So I'm moving to Massachusetts from out-of-state. Do I have this in the right order? I'm a bit confused with everything I read:

1. Convert license to MA license
2. Change car insurance to MA
3. Change registration

Or am I supposed to change the registration first?

Go to the RMV with papers from the insurance company saying you signed up for MA insurance. Then you get your new license and register the car at the same time.

Also bring the car title, and look up the tax stuff. There is some form you fill out to show you bought the car outside MA and paid whatever state tax on it or they will ask for tax on the car purchase.

The key is they won't register the car without proof you have MA insurance.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Well the insurance company also won't even give me a quote for insurance because I don't have a license from Massachusetts. So I figured I must need to transfer my license first.

Also there's still a lien on my car so I'm sure it will be a byzantine mess getting the title.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 5, 2013

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

You can always lie and say you don't own a car when you go to get your license then register it later once you've got your new license and your new insurance.

I had to do that when I moved to Texas to avoid a paperwork nightmare since I had purchased the car but wasn't allowed to drive it off the lot until I had insurance which I couldn't get without a Texas license-- which I couldn't get if I told them I owned a car but could not produce a title (which I could not get until I had a Texas license and insurance). So I lied.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

poo poo, I'm still rocking my Ohio insurance and I haven't truly lived there since 2009. Tennessee just asked if I was insured; I said yes, they gave me my tags and that was that.

supkirbs
Oct 15, 2012

The library is the worst bunch of people assembled in history. They're mean, conniving, rude and extremely well read which makes them very dangerous.

Omne posted:

poo poo, I'm still rocking my Ohio insurance and I haven't truly lived there since 2009. Tennessee just asked if I was insured; I said yes, they gave me my tags and that was that.

Just be aware that depending on your limits of coverage, you may be in a bad spot if you get into an accident in TN and are carrying minimum liability. The minimums required by TN are higher than the minimums required by OH. Not to mention your insurance company would not be happy to find out your garaged location on your policy is not where your vehicle is actually kept (but it is a common misconception that it doesn't matter which address is on your policy, it does...if they find out). Usually the worst that happens with that though is if they find out they'll either forcibly change it or non-renew your policy if you refuse/can't prove it's in Ohio. Sorry to derail but I don't want you to possibly end up in a bad situation! Here's what TN DMV says:

http://www.dmv.org/tn-tennessee/car-insurance.php

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
So my prospective landlord had asked if I'd be willing to give the current tenant a few days to move out, with me moving in today and the month's rent pro-rated. Except apparently the person didn't make good use of those days and has a truck coming to finish off this evening... Obviously I'm not signing any "state of the premises" thing or handing over rent until she's out of there, and will probably just say we shift it back a day and knock another day from the rent. Should any of this this raise red flags to me--beyond the building custodian not being on top of things?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You shouldn't take possession of the premises until it's empty, but even then the landlord should have it fully cleaned and repaired. And of course your rent shouldn't start until you take possession. Holdover tenants happen, but you don't need to take a not cleaned unit because of it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
No, judge the previous tenant, but not the building. Their hands are tied; even if they had the manpower, they couldn't legally put her stuff on the curb, and they're not going to start eviction proceedings over 24 hours. They'll probably fine her, but you obviously won't see that.

I agree you shouldn't move in until all her stuff is out and the place is cleaned (including whatever's standard in the way of repaintint, refinishing, etc.). Luckily it sounds like you have somewhere you can stay indefinitely?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

supkirbs posted:

Just be aware that depending on your limits of coverage, you may be in a bad spot if you get into an accident in TN and are carrying minimum liability. The minimums required by TN are higher than the minimums required by OH. Not to mention your insurance company would not be happy to find out your garaged location on your policy is not where your vehicle is actually kept (but it is a common misconception that it doesn't matter which address is on your policy, it does...if they find out). Usually the worst that happens with that though is if they find out they'll either forcibly change it or non-renew your policy if you refuse/can't prove it's in Ohio. Sorry to derail but I don't want you to possibly end up in a bad situation! Here's what TN DMV says:

http://www.dmv.org/tn-tennessee/car-insurance.php

DMV.org are the ehow of DMV-related questions, they're totally unofficial, and they're not a reliable source of information.

I've heard of claims being denied and car insurance being retroactively canceled because of people not being straightforward about the state they're garaging in but I don't know how accurate that is.

edit: Here's some discussion of that in New York: http://www.insurance-advocate.com/Using-False-Address-on-Insurance-Application-Voids-Right-to-Collect-No-Fault-Benefits-c963.html

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 5, 2013

supkirbs
Oct 15, 2012

The library is the worst bunch of people assembled in history. They're mean, conniving, rude and extremely well read which makes them very dangerous.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

DMV.org are the ehow of DMV-related questions, they're totally unofficial, and they're not a reliable source of information.

I've heard of claims being denied and car insurance being retroactively canceled because of people not being straightforward about the state they're garaging in but I don't know how accurate that is.

edit: Here's some discussion of that in New York: http://www.insurance-advocate.com/Using-False-Address-on-Insurance-Application-Voids-Right-to-Collect-No-Fault-Benefits-c963.html

I just linked it to show the limits required by the state, I was on my phone but I have experience in the industry so I knew offhand that it was correct. But here is TN.gov echoing the same:

http://www.tn.gov/safety/FinancialResponsibility/frlawindex.shtml

Unfortunately most DMV agents will just ask you if you have insurance when you register so a lot of people find that out the hard way that the limits they carry (minimums from another state) may not meet that requirement. Usually they find out by being in an accident. :(

But yeah, most companies can deny the claim or just make it a huge pain in the rear end if your address is not correct or fake. Rate jumping is a huge problem. Not that the previous poster is doing that, of course. You never know, it might actually be cheaper to change your address to TN. Just depends on the rates for where you live vs. where your car used to be.

supkirbs fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 6, 2013

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Well from late 2009 to 2011, I was living in NC as a grad student and never changed it. Then I moved to TN in mid-2011 and realized my rates will double. I don't have the minimums for any state, quite a bit higher than that actually. I know I need to switch it over, I'm just hoping I can maintain my coverage level and not have to pay a ton more

On topic: Moving from one apartment in my building into another. For some reason, this move is an even bigger pain in the rear end

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

FYI if the state catches wind of the insurance thing they can make it a huge pain in your rear end. I moved from Md to Va and about a year after I moved I got a bill from the state of Md for $5000 for not having insurance in that state even though my car hadn't been registered in Md or my legal address in Md for over a year at that point.
It's still something I'm straightening out and has been nothing but a problem for me.
Don't tempt fate get that poo poo straightened out.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
I've just moved into a new place, and noticed that the washing machine (frontloader) has a lot of black mould on the seal, and white clothes are coming out with dark marks after a wash.

This is something I should expect the agency to sort out, correct?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Have you tried running a cycle with washing machine cleaner? The seal is so tight on front loaders that they can get nasty inside and it's recommended to keep the door open for ventilation when it's not in use.

You could bitch to your landlord but going to the store and spending a couple bucks on washing machine cleaner might be less hassle.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I would recommend a quick fix like that as well. Not only can it be easier for you, I find that people are happier to assist you if you can say 'Oh there's this problem and I tried X to fix it, but it didn't work, can you help?' It shows you aren't just flailing around and then asking for help with basic tasks.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
One call to the agency and the landlord is going to replace it. :eek:

I'm going to watch extra carefully as I cross the road for the next few days.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Slimchandi posted:

One call to the agency and the landlord is going to replace it. :eek:

That's a great landlord. Make sure he doesn't get a Kenmore/Whirlpool front loader, they are notorious for horrible mold problems.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Better yet get a top loading HE washer and never have to worry about it.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I have a Whirlpool and my parents have a Kenmore they've had for almost 10 years and never had a mold problem. Just keep the door cracked to let air in.

Mine even has a self-clean setting.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I have a Whirlpool and my parents have a Kenmore they've had for almost 10 years and never had a mold problem. Just keep the door cracked to let air in.

I've bleached mine countless times, and always leave the door open, but it still makes my "freshly laundered" clothes smell like old wet shoes.

http://www.today.com/news/your-washing-machine-growing-hidden-mold-6C10671363

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What's the reason people buy front-loaders instead of top-loaders to begin with?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

cheerfullydrab posted:

What's the reason people buy front-loaders instead of top-loaders to begin with?

Front-loaders are more efficient energy and water wise and tend to be more gentle on your clothes. I've far more issues with top loaders than front loaders, mostly to do with ruining my clothes.

Although it looks like the article doesn't include Samsung which is what I've used for the past 6 years.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 6, 2013

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
So, does anyone know a good option for hiring cross-country movers? I don't have any furniture I want to move (leaving it all with my parents), but I have enough boxes and some things that I can not or are would be expensive to ship (TV, computer) that I want to take with me. It's not really a lot of stuff (all of my things AND the furniture fit into a 17' UHAUL),so I'm really just looking for a cheap way to get some stuff out there. Most of it I don't even need immediately so I would be willing to wait for it.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Ajaxify posted:

So, does anyone know a good option for hiring cross-country movers? I don't have any furniture I want to move (leaving it all with my parents), but I have enough boxes and some things that I can not or are would be expensive to ship (TV, computer) that I want to take with me. It's not really a lot of stuff (all of my things AND the furniture fit into a 17' UHAUL),so I'm really just looking for a cheap way to get some stuff out there. Most of it I don't even need immediately so I would be willing to wait for it.

I've never used them, but I've heard good things about PODs, if you think you can swing everything in the 7x7 container it'll probably be the best idea. Basically they come to your place, drop off a POD that you load up at your convenience, then they come pick it up and move it to your new address, which you unload at your convenience. It's probably not worth hiring professionals for just a few things, they usually don't do small loads like that.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
How much stuff? Are you talking like, an extra car-loads worth of stuff, or is it quite a bit more?

If you have a truck, have you looked into renting one of the small pull-behind U-Haul trailers? If you have a car, you'd be surprised how much a little car can tow if you install a trailer hitch. My husband has an old Honda Accord and the previous owner (his friend) used it to haul around a little pop-up camper pretty regularly!

This is all assuming you own a vehicle obviously.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
I own a vehicle, but I have decided to give it to my brother instead of bringing it to SF. My roommate has a car that we've agreed to share and we probably won't need one out there anyway. I'm hoping to avoid driving out there myself if I can, since it will take a couple days minimum and my timing for when I can leave where I am and when I need to be on the west coast is somewhat tight.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
So it looks like a POD will cost me $2800 to use. Is this the best I can expect? I feel like I could ship everything I own via UPS or Fedex for less than that and just buy a replacement of anything that breaks.

Ajaxify fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 7, 2013

Marmalade Marinade
Feb 20, 2013
Inside tank of fuel is not fuel but love,
Above us, there is nothing above
But the stars above.
Anyone have a good idea of where I could go to find art to put on my wall? Or just... neat stuff in general to put on my wall? I'm not really a visual person and am totally fine with blank walls, but people are usually weirded out by that. I don't really like the idea of going to Ikea for art, since it's so generic and bland. Apartment Therapy seems more like a general interior decoration site. I looked at Ebay, but it's just a bunch of dumb bullshit.

I'd like to try and stay away from posters, they wind up annoying me after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Marmalade Marinade posted:

Anyone have a good idea of where I could go to find art to put on my wall? Or just... neat stuff in general to put on my wall? I'm not really a visual person and am totally fine with blank walls, but people are usually weirded out by that. I don't really like the idea of going to Ikea for art, since it's so generic and bland. Apartment Therapy seems more like a general interior decoration site. I looked at Ebay, but it's just a bunch of dumb bullshit.

I'd like to try and stay away from posters, they wind up annoying me after a while.

Check Etsy for art on whatever your interest is. It's likely you'll find something that's hand made that'll suit your needs.

Or just find pictures that you've really enjoyed/been moved by and get large sized framed prints.