Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

NikkolasKing posted:

I was a big fan of Eden Under Siege in FFXIII. That's the only area I remember being terribly fond of.

Shame it came only a short while afte Taejin's Tower which I would honestly put down there with NES-era FF dungeons in terms of awfulness. God I hated that place.

This reminds me of when I was comparing the tri-Ace/tri-Crescendo and Final Fantasy games I've played. I was thinking over all the many, many differences and one that jumped out almost immediately at me wa the former's love of puzzle dungeons. FF has some puzzle=filled dungeons but it isn't filled to the brim with them like Baten Kaitos or Star Ocean.

I thus started thinking of every dungeon in an FF I've completed, trying to think which would qualify. The only ones I could think of wee maybe the Desert Palace in IX, the Cloister of Trials in X (I think it counts?), a couple of places in XII like the Stilshrine of Miriam, and then XIII's only vague contribution would be Taejin's Tower which was just go here and kill this and go there and kill that.
Every Cloister of Trials in FFX was worse than anything in FFXIII. I loathe playing them again whenever I pick up FFX to replay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Azure_Horizon posted:

Toriyama just stated that one of the main development tenets of Lightning Returns was to "beat Skyrim" in terms of open-world structure. While he probably won't reach that goal, since that would require a ton of terrible VA, loading the game with bugs, and having super bland dungeons, at least we know that Lightning Returns is being built with an open-world nature in mind. Though the time limit restriction will mean exploration will take a few playthroughs.

I just don't get you, dude. Like I am staring at this post with :psyduck: expression on my face.

You are looking at this through some hella rose-tinted glasses. Especially since this is Toriyama we're talking about.
FFXIII's VAs weren't better than Skyrim's. They may have more talent among their ranks, but their performance is strangled by a godawful script and writing.
I'm not even going to ask how you can praise FFXIII while calling Skyrim's dungeons "super bland" :psyduck:

Azure_Horizon posted:

Every Cloister of Trials in FFX was worse than anything in FFXIII. I loathe playing them again whenever I pick up FFX to replay.

They are fun to go through once, but I can see why people wouldn't like them. Especially after multiple playthroughs, yesch.
But cloisters were great because they challenged the player in a different way, in this case solving a puzzle. That was something FFXIII desperately, desperately needed.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

NikkolasKing posted:

This reminds me of when I was comparing the tri-Ace/tri-Crescendo and Final Fantasy games I've played. I was thinking over all the many, many differences and one that jumped out almost immediately at me wa the former's love of puzzle dungeons. FF has some puzzle=filled dungeons but it isn't filled to the brim with them like Baten Kaitos or Star Ocean.

I thus started thinking of every dungeon in an FF I've completed, trying to think which would qualify. The only ones I could think of wee maybe the Desert Palace in IX, the Cloister of Trials in X (I think it counts?), a couple of places in XII like the Stilshrine of Miriam, and then XIII's only vague contribution would be Taejin's Tower which was just go here and kill this and go there and kill that.

There was the color-coded monsters on the Ragnarok in VIII, and Terra or whatever it was in IX had a ton of puzzles, with an elevator platform you had to move and a teleporter maze and some other stuff. A couple places in X-2, I believe, like that horrible bland maze where you had to keep track of a million stats and then do do math equations to open doors.

Guess it depends on your definition of "puzzle dungeon," since I can think of a lot of places with puzzles IN them, even if the whole place isn't one big puzzle.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Schwartzcough posted:

There was the color-coded monsters on the Ragnarok in VIII

Arguably, this doesn't even count since you don't need to solve it by matching colours like a game of Bust-A-Move. After a while, they just stop respawning no matter what order you kill them in. :v:

That said, VIII definitely does have at least one, or two, puzzle dungeon(s) outside of Ultimecia's Castle though it's optional; the Centra Ruins where Odin hangs out. You could probably make an argument for the Deep Sea Research Center as well.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

SSNeoman posted:

You are looking at this through some hella rose-tinted glasses. Especially since this is Toriyama we're talking about.
FFXIII's VAs weren't better than Skyrim's. They may have more talent among their ranks, but their performance is strangled by a godawful script and writing.
I'm not even going to ask how you can praise FFXIII while calling Skyrim's dungeons "super bland" :psyduck:

Come on dude. You don't need to stick up for Skyrim's boring cave network just for points over FF13, we all know it stacks up fine everywhere else.

Edit: also uhhh VAs aren't responsible for the quality of the script.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Azure_Horizon posted:

I consider FFX to be one of the finest video games ever made and I still hate the Cloisters. Hated them as a teenager, hated them on my second & third playthroughs, and I probably will hate them when I get the HD edition and play through it again. The puzzles aren't really "fun" in an LoZ kinda way, they just involve putting X orb in Y slot and pushing things around. The worst one was Bevelle- just ugh.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I never got the hate for the cloisters. They're pretty cool the first time through and maybe it's just because I've got a good memory but they take maybe 5 minutes each to get through even counting the destruction sphere items so they never really annoyed me that much.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I still like all the cloisters except Bevelle, which is still incomprehensible to me.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
They weren't really worse than any of the series other puzzles. And it's not like any of them are really that hard.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I didn't mind the Cloisters. If the game kept throwing random battles at you while doing them then yeah, I'd dislike them.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Random battles in puzzle rooms is the worst thing. You end up spending three times as long on what should be a simple process, but you keep getting mentally sidetracked and have to remember what you're doing. As soon as you've got it - battle!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Tempo 119 posted:

Come on dude. You don't need to stick up for Skyrim's boring cave network just for points over FF13, we all know it stacks up fine everywhere else.

Edit: also uhhh VAs aren't responsible for the quality of the script.

You missed my point.

Skyrim's dungeons have enormous environmental reuse, but they make up for it with unique layouts and challenges. Like the dungeon where a glowing cairn makes the local bandits throw themselves on it.
Or the dungeon where looters dug too deep and revealed a cavern with a small pond and forest where a spirit lurked. You even get a ghost sword there too!
Or Laberinthian, which was an enormous and challenging dungeon that was super satisfying to finish on my low level character.

Skyrim may reuse its wallpaper, but most of the layouts were fairly unique.
FFXIII doesn't reuse its wallpaper, but it's almost universally composed of a single linear corridor. Sort of like Skyrim's cave network, only prettier.

And I didn't make myself clear before. Yes, VAs aren't responsible for the script. But their performance does depend on it. Skyrim's script was adequate with a few good parts and as such it didn't hinder the VA's performance. FFXIII's was bad, and it totally crippled the performance of the VAs. Not to mention that SE wanted the American VA's to act like the Japanese ones.
Were FFXIII's VAs better than Skyrim's? Sure.
Was the performance better? No.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The puzzles in X were annoying because Tidus refuses to hold more than one ball at a time. They'd be a cinch if he just used his other hand, or put a ball in one of his huge yellow pockets.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

That loving Sned posted:

The puzzles in X were annoying because Tidus refuses to hold more than one ball at a time. They'd be a cinch if he just used his other hand, or put a ball in one of his huge yellow pockets.

The spheres are really hot (or in Macalania's case, really cold) so he juggles them between each hand. Tidus has no pockets, the zippers are just for show.

But honestly, my only real problem with the Cloisters is that after you've solved them once, it's really hard to forget how to solve them again. There's only what, five or six of them, and they're all a simple variation of untangling a knot in five steps. At least the Zanarkind trial's a change of pace.

Xenogenesis fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 3, 2013

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I completely glossed over the explanation for everything in the Besaid Cloister so for half the game I just stuck orbs into the wall until it made the door open. Then I wanted to be a completionist and go back to use the destruction spheres for the secret items. Hell yeah, a level 8 Yuna Wand. :krad:

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
Just starting XIII-2 for the first time since I picked it up for basically free. Am I the only one who legitimately hates the soundtrack? I dunno if it gets better as the game goes on but holy poo poo I hope so. XIII's was just kind of bland, forgettable background noise with a couple exceptions, but XIII-2's has been actively grating thus far (about 2 hours in).

And as far as I can tell there's no option to just turn the music off or anything (or any sound options at all that I can find, which is pretty crazy for a modern game). Between some woman warbling generic pap the entire time I'm in the starting area to that hideous thrash-metal during the first boss fight I just have no idea what kind of a feel this game is even going for. It's really weird because I've literally never disliked the OST for any FF up until now.

edit: Could also really do without that obnoxious moogle and everyone giggling before and after every single line of dialogue too, but maybe that's just a cultural difference that doesn't translate over very well or something.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

fronz posted:

I still like all the cloisters except Bevelle, which is still incomprehensible to me.

If I didn't have the gameinformer guide telling me how to beat the Bevelle, I would not have finished FFX. I cannot figure that slow-moving platform dungeon out at all, especially if you were going for Anima.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Tae posted:

especially if you were going for Anima.

Not really, you literally cannot miss the Destruction Treasure in Bevelle. You have to get it to finish the temple, because it's the only one you can't redo.

The Fuck Juicer
Oct 16, 2012

Full Fathoms Five posted:

Just starting XIII-2 for the first time since I picked it up for basically free. Am I the only one who legitimately hates the soundtrack? I dunno if it gets better as the game goes on but holy poo poo I hope so. XIII's was just kind of bland, forgettable background noise with a couple exceptions, but XIII-2's has been actively grating thus far (about 2 hours in).

I've just started playing it and it's my biggest gripe as well, the soundtrack is loving shocking.

The jump in difficulty between the areas also seems huge - I've went forward in time where you meet Snow and fight that giant tomato monster and it's destroying me. I really want to enjoy this game but it's not letting me.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Yohan Kebab posted:

I've just started playing it and it's my biggest gripe as well, the soundtrack is loving shocking.

The jump in difficulty between the areas also seems huge - I've went forward in time where you meet Snow and fight that giant tomato monster and it's destroying me. I really want to enjoy this game but it's not letting me.

You're not supposed to go there next. Try the other timeline for a bit, then come back.

Also playing through SMT IV reminded me, If you like FF13 you should just play SMT 2 instead. Same plot, essentially, but slightly better world design.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I haven't played the game (only watched the LP), but XIII-2's soundtrack sounded really damned good to me. It ends up being a little different than typical Final Fantasy music, but I think it works well all things considered.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
The biggest problem with 13-2's soundtrack is that the best themes, the Aggressive Mixes, don't play for nearly long enough and it's always really noisy when they do.

That and that you have to beat a bunch of superbosses to unlock the ability to play Crazy Chocobo on all Chocobos.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Momomo posted:

I haven't played the game (only watched the LP), but XIII-2's soundtrack sounded really damned good to me. It ends up being a little different than typical Final Fantasy music, but I think it works well all things considered.

Yeah, there's a lot of tracks in FFXIII-2 that are among the best in the series. And some that grow on you, like Plains of Eternity.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

I think it's one of those soundtracks that you either really like or you just don't.

Personally I thought it was pretty great, especially the [PLUS]] stuff that came with some of the newer dlc stuff (Clash on the Big Bridge :swoon:)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

alcharagia posted:

The biggest problem with 13-2's soundtrack is that the best themes, the Aggressive Mixes, don't play for nearly long enough and it's always really noisy when they do.

That and that you have to beat a bunch of superbosses to unlock the ability to play Crazy Chocobo on all Chocobos.
SO YOU THINK YOU CAN RIDE ON THIS CHOCOBO

Pretty sure at one point when I couldn't figure out how to get from point A to point B and my roommates were watching we ended up with three people singing along to that song, myself included.

e: vvvvvvvvvv
Friend of a friend living in a fraternity house only played it with his door closed and locked, blinds drawn, lights off, sound one click above zero.

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 4, 2013

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
Maybe different tastes, then. So far everything has sounded like either elevator music or someone having a seizure with a synthesizer in their hands. Nothing seems to "feel" right with the area it's supposed to be representing, the way most other FF's have. Like stepping foot in Cosmo Canyon for the first time in FFVII is still really memorable to me because of the track, and the way it totally set the entire mood and flavor for the area.

FFXIII-2 opens in a beach town where some J-pop reject is crooning the most generic lyrics possible. Then I fight a portal monster while something approaching a Christian thrash metal concert plays. The music literally makes me uncomfortable, and there's no way to silence it without muting everything.

I'll admit it hasn't all been bad, but I haven't run into a track I actually like yet, just ones that are inoffensive or subtle enough to be a welcome relief.

I'd love some specific track recommendations so I can check them out on Youtube since I'm eagerly hoping it gets better. XIII's had a few tracks that I really enjoyed and only a couple that I actively disliked, but XIII-2 has been very disappointing in that regard thus far.

Between the music, the horrible script, and the cringeworthy voice acting, I'd definitely be hesitant to play this game in front of another human being for fear of embarrassment. Somehow I'm still having fun, though. I actually enjoy the paradigm combat system (I've heard it becomes really unbalanced later but so far so good) and it's definitely a very pretty game. I always love seeing classic enemies and such updated for new generations of consoles. FF is my favorite series of all time, probably because it's the only series I literally grew up with, so I think the nostalgia will drive me to play through any new entry no matter how asinine it gets, but XIII / XIII-2 are definitely drifting away from what I like about the series.

For some reason I think voice acting in general has really put a damper on things for me. Like somehow having everything text-only let me kind of ignore the bad writing. I also feel like the modern FFs are missing out on a lot of the big set-pieces and feelings of adventure that made me enjoy the SNES / PSX era games so much. Stuff is still happening, but it doesn't seem to have as much impact. I couldn't even tell you what the big turning points in the plot of XIII were, whereas I can remember basically every twist and turn in the older games, even if they were horrible deus ex machina copouts or made no sense.

I mean to me XIII's story isn't any worse than most of the other games in terms of incomprehensible poo poo going on, but it just isn't memorable for some reason. I expect crazy poo poo and awful plot twists in my FFs, but there's been something missing lately and I'm not sure entirely what it is.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

I quite like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkv10qgFaW8

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcLetgnrcIo

And the CotBB I mentioned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAZXVv7azKA

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

e: vvvvvvvvvv
Friend of a friend living in a fraternity house only played it with his door closed and locked, blinds drawn, lights off, sound one click above zero.

It's the first game I ever hooked headphones to my TV for.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Last Emperor posted:

I think it's one of those soundtracks that you either really like or you just don't.

Personally I thought it was pretty great, especially the [PLUS]] stuff that came with some of the newer dlc stuff (Clash on the Big Bridge :swoon:)

BEST version of Clash on the Big Bridge. I also love the original version of Noel's Theme. gently caress yeah guitar shredding. Thankfully we got that in-game with Last Hunters, which is such a great battle theme.

Beautiful, fantastic FFXIII-2 tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-mE25_YEOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWCuv1oo6pg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9pzcp6GiYs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8vXYBEvSow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hafLpftyWCA

And so much more. XIII-2 actually has more space on my mp3 player than XIII did.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Yeah, I feel that XIII-2 has some of the better tracks we've seen in a while. I just hope the sequel will at least live up to it and not return to some of the more downplayed versions you get in XIII.

Of all the 'modern' FF games though I'd have to say the one whose soundtrack I don't care for most would be XII, as much as I really enjoyed the game. It has some okay stuff but most of it just feels kind of bland to me. VIII had some pretty good tracks too.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Last Emperor posted:

XII Clash on the Big Bridge or XIII-2 Clash on the Big Bridge??

Although I think XII Gilgamesh is the best of the two simply because of that voice.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Last Emperor posted:

Yeah, I feel that XIII-2 has some of the better tracks we've seen in a while. I just hope the sequel will at least live up to it and not return to some of the more downplayed versions you get in XIII.

Of all the 'modern' FF games though I'd have to say the one whose soundtrack I don't care for most would be XII, as much as I really enjoyed the game. It has some okay stuff but most of it just feels kind of bland to me. VIII had some pretty good tracks too.

From what I've heard from released tracks to the Pre soundtrack released a couple weeks ago, it looks to be a bridge between XIII and XIII-2. More classical orchestras, less experimentative electronica. Though we haven't heard everything from the game yet.

XIII-2 Clash on the Big Bridge will forever be the best.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

From what I've heard from released tracks to the Pre soundtrack released a couple weeks ago, it looks to be a bridge between XIII and XIII-2. More classical orchestras, less experimentative electronica. Though we haven't heard everything from the game yet.

That sounds cool, now just to hope that the game portion is decent. I think I tend to either like the super orchestral stuff or the more out-there tracks that you get in Persona 4 and such. Feeling confident about LR, I'll be happy so long as it keeps to the standard the previous game has I'll be satisfied.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I feel like playing V again but with a fresh twist to it, does anybody here have good ideas for a gimmick run?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I feel like playing V again but with a fresh twist to it, does anybody here have good ideas for a gimmick run?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549760

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Only FFI jobs allowed.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SpazmasterX posted:

Only FFI jobs allowed.

Knight? Ninja? Way too easy.

If you're much of an IPS patch kinda guy, get this for the chance to play around with the FF5a classes without having to, y'know, beat the game and the secret superboss.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The first time I heard the Bresha Ruins music from XIII-2 was on the OST, so the whole time I was listening to this white girl rapping while she was trying not to fall asleep. It was one of those true "are they loving serious?" moments.

Fortunately, the vocal-less version that was in the English release of the game is actually really smooth and chill to listen to, to the point of being one of the better ones there. They put it on the extra soundtrack album -- the same one that's got the Gilgamesh oriental mix.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

Knight? Ninja? Way too easy.

If you're much of an IPS patch kinda guy, get this for the chance to play around with the FF5a classes without having to, y'know, beat the game and the secret superboss.

Except that patch is hilariously unbalanced and makes most of the game even more trivial than it already is. And that's without getting into how broken the Advance classes are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Azure_Horizon posted:

BEST version of Clash on the Big Bridge. I also love the original version of Noel's Theme. gently caress yeah guitar shredding. Thankfully we got that in-game with Last Hunters, which is such a great battle theme.

Beautiful, fantastic FFXIII-2 tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-mE25_YEOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWCuv1oo6pg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9pzcp6GiYs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8vXYBEvSow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hafLpftyWCA

And so much more. XIII-2 actually has more space on my mp3 player than XIII did.

I agree with all of these and add a couple more.

Village and Void and Chaotic Guardian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkT9yjhBC3I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrLpVD_N0ns