Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Wait, why do you get Zuo Ci from Wu? Damnit Koei.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So here are some screenshots of Sophitia wrecking dudes, also there's this guy with a spear called "Nata" but we don't care because he's not a guest character.

Countdown to Luffy D. Monkey and Kenshiro getting ported into WO3U.

edit: Oh gently caress check this crazy poo poo out three new dudes in Sengoku BASARA 4 and one of them uses a loving DEER as a weapon.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 1, 2013

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

OatmealRaisin posted:

Wait, why do you get Zuo Ci from Wu? Damnit Koei.

Well his first appearance in the book is loving with Sun Ce and establishing that Ce hates Taoists. This eventually leads into him killing Gan Ji.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Policenaut posted:

also there's this guy with a spear called "Nata" but we don't care because he's not a guest character.

Apparently Nata is Nezha before he became a magical cyborg.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The GIG posted:

Apparently Nata is Nezha before he became a magical cyborg.
That's weird, since Nata is just the Japanese pronunciation of his name.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Been playing Shu, and holy poo poo is Xu Shu amazing. His moveset looks fantastic and plays fantastically (and, thankfully, isn't a huge Assassin's Creed ripoff). Particular props go to his basic Musou, which does great damage, has a great range, and fills up ninety per cent of your Rage gauge per pop (which is good because he's also got a pretty impressive 'gently caress you and your five hundred friends' Rampage).

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Policenaut posted:

edit: Oh gently caress check this crazy poo poo out three new dudes in Sengoku BASARA 4 and one of them uses a loving DEER as a weapon.

Wrestler lookin dude seems cool too, but that doesn't top the DEER :black101:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Wrestler lookin dude

That "wrestler looking dude" is the great Lord Hideyoshi Toyotomi! You will show him the proper deference, or be cut down where you stand!

But seriously, Hideyoshi is awesome, and him and Hanbei coming back for 4 is awesome. You should watch the Sengoku Basara anime, too.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Schubalts posted:

That "wrestler looking dude" is the great Lord Hideyoshi Toyotomi! You will show him the proper deference, or be cut down where you stand!

But seriously, Hideyoshi is awesome, and him and Hanbei coming back for 4 is awesome. You should watch the Sengoku Basara anime, too.

I have, I'm just terrible at recognizing characters. I've only played the translated version of 3, which isn't helping my recollection of him :v:

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Goes to show how varied tastes are, I don't like anything about Xu Shu. His wea mpon drags you all over the place, I felt his EX was unwieldy. He's fot another wishywashy confidence-problem personality, and I thought his deep hood scruffy look made him look like a meth dealer.

I finally caught up with tao qian, that's a pain in the rear end even with 4star gear and a lv40 Cao Ren. I prepped by taking Ren into free mode yellow turban rebellion. There is a staircase in the west that never runs out of enemies; I spent 15 minutes in the same rage musou running back and forth. Pegged out both combo and kill count at 9999, and decided I had enough. Hell of a fun exploit.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Oh hey, the 360 version finally got patched today. There still seems to be a little slowdown in places, but for the most part, it's solid.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Maleketh posted:

Oh hey, the 360 version finally got patched today. There still seems to be a little slowdown in places, but for the most part, it's solid.

The PS3 still gets slowdowns, but a lot of poo poo has to be on-screen first. It's particularly noticed (as has been mentioned a few times by others in this thread) at Chibi, once everything is on fire. I have seen youtubes of pre-patch 360 DW8 though, *nowhere* near that awful.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I always wonder, what do these patches even DO? They can't rewrite the entire rendering engine to make it run better; not like that at least.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kurui Reiten posted:

I always wonder, what do these patches even DO? They can't rewrite the entire rendering engine to make it run better; not like that at least.
On the Japanese version anyway, they have always spelled out most of what each patch has done. They haven't in the English versions?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

The PS3 versions have changelogs; 360 patches tend not to. What I really mean is, internally, what they do to increase framerate out of nowhere. Like, from a mechanics point in the engine. What do they tweak, that sorta thing.

Like, the changelog will say, for instance, "fixed frame rate issues in Clusterfuck Land when everything is on fire", well, what did they do? Turn down the fire? Reduce the amount of people? Increase LoD model usage?

I know the answer is probably "all of those", but I like to know, you know?

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
There's only so much data you're entitled to from a developer. They don't entirely want you to know how hosed up things were at the start.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Any word on when we're gonna get the DLC? Hell, if buying cross-region DLC was allowed I'd have spent tens of thousands of yen already. I wanna play anime warrior dress-up :(

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

OatmealRaisin posted:

Any word on when we're gonna get the DLC? Hell, if buying cross-region DLC was allowed I'd have spent tens of thousands of yen already. I wanna play anime warrior dress-up :(

I just want narration in my Story Mode, even if it is in Japanese.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Anyone have any tips on getting the five star Rod and Bow? I never seem to get any messages regarding gates at all and I've gotten to the area you need to within a minute of the battle starting and still haven't gotten it to appear. I also tried just killing Lu Bu at the start and that isn't working either.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Jibo posted:

Anyone have any tips on getting the five star Rod and Bow? I never seem to get any messages regarding gates at all and I've gotten to the area you need to within a minute of the battle starting and still haven't gotten it to appear. I also tried just killing Lu Bu at the start and that isn't working either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1sfX6IvJBo

SleepingPsycho2 posted:

Xiahou Yuan's Hidden Weapon - Wei Stage 1: Reach the Weapon Experiment area before Lu Bu destroys any of the doors

Steps:
1. Defeat Li Meng (李蒙) to kick-start the Lu Bu chase.
2. In the next area, after Cao Cao complains of being locked out, WAIT for Xiahou Yuan to lock the doors behind you (he will talk about it) before defeating Li Jue (李傕)
3. Carry on as usual and defeat Hu Feng (胡封) to open the gate into the training zone.
4. Once you jump down into the training zone, Lu Bu will stop chasing you and retreat. If he had not broken past the first gate, the item message will appear.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Jibo posted:

Xu Zhu on the farm will give you materials from time to time. He's the only one I've gotten to do poo poo though.
Cao Cao has the best dialogue though.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Jibo posted:

Xu Zhu on the farm will give you materials from time to time. He's the only one I've gotten to do poo poo though.
I think anyone on farm duty will give you materials occasionally. There might be some variation in what they give you, I have Huang Zhong there and he consistently gives me ~10 weapon materials :stare:, but that could be due to upgrading the farm rather than it being him. I haven't played around with it to test it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Holy hell, the pathfinding for the bridgelayer in 'Ambush at Chang'an' is horrifyingly bad. I got it to do its thing in time to murder Xiahou Mao and grab the star after a few tries, but it really wasn't easy.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Policenaut posted:

Oh gently caress check this crazy poo poo out three new dudes in Sengoku BASARA 4 and one of them uses a loving DEER as a weapon.

More salt for the loving wound of me never playing this game :(

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Sonata Mused posted:

Everyone who suggested The Ravages of Time: Thanks! I'm only up to about chapter 50, but it's pretty awesome.
Chapter 397 is the reveal of Lu Su, and the Chinese fandom's reaction is hilarious:

quote:

I cant believe such a gangster-looking guy won't be able to collect a debt!

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

kissekatt posted:

I think anyone on farm duty will give you materials occasionally. There might be some variation in what they give you, I have Huang Zhong there and he consistently gives me ~10 weapon materials :stare:, but that could be due to upgrading the farm rather than it being him. I haven't played around with it to test it.

This appears to be correct, as I put Dong Zhuo there for laughs and he's been giving me materials. If he'll give you free poo poo, anyone will.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Do you ever have any missions where your character choice drastically changes your start position? I'm finally working my way through Story Mode and that's kind of a shame if not.

e: hahahaha Guan Yu just exploded into heaven. Thanks, DW8.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 6, 2013

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Stelas posted:

Do you ever have any missions where your character choice drastically changes your start position? I'm finally working my way through Story Mode and that's kind of a shame if not.

I don't think so, but some characters get different missions than others, so it could change how you play the campaign. Like in Defence of Xu Province if you pick Zhang Fei you go down along the bottom and clear out an entirely separate part of the map from the other characters you could play as.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I just picked this up, played the Wu story which was ace and now i'm running through a bit of Ambition mode. I really like some of the new features (while it's bare bones, the concept of having to change weapon to suit your enemy is pretty cool) but my favorite is either the horse button (loving AMAZING) or the switch counter. I can't do it all the time, but when I do it feels like there's a new level to the combat even though there definitely isn't. I liked how in the Wu story at least, the limit on selectable characters meant you got a lot closer to the story, and managed to make some characters (Sun Quan) a bit more likeable. Hopefully it's the same for the other kingdoms.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

PureRok posted:

I don't think so, but some characters get different missions than others, so it could change how you play the campaign. Like in Defence of Xu Province if you pick Zhang Fei you go down along the bottom and clear out an entirely separate part of the map from the other characters you could play as.

One of the cooler ones is on Changban, where the missions will branch out quite a lot depending on who you play as. Zhuge Liang covers Liu Bei as he and the peasants escape, Zhao Yun has to go save Liu Shan, and of course Zhang Fei spends the whole stage on that bridge kicking everyone's rear end.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

OatmealRaisin posted:

One of the cooler ones is on Changban, where the missions will branch out quite a lot depending on who you play as. Zhuge Liang covers Liu Bei as he and the peasants escape, Zhao Yun has to go save Liu Shan, and of course Zhang Fei spends the whole stage on that bridge kicking everyone's rear end.
The Ravages of Time's version of Changban is still better though. :colbert: Especially once Zhang Fei blocks the Cao army's arrows with a board... then tips it over to reveal a bundle of spears, which he starts chucking at the Cao army from outside of their archers' range. And that other bridge that he's not manning? He left it alone as bait because, as the Cao army will find out too late when they desperately try to cross and flank him, it can't take their weight!

The Ravages of Time's Zhang Fei: The best Zhang Fei.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Stelas posted:

e: hahahaha Guan Yu just exploded into heaven. Thanks, DW8.

I think that happens in Shu's version of the Battle of Yiling. Zhao Yun is bailing out Liu Bei in the north, whilst Zhang Bao and Guan Xing are chewing through the main Wu forces and having homoerotic subtext with each other in the south.

Seawaffle
Jun 21, 2007
making a career of misquoting

Chortles posted:

The Ravages of Time's version of Changban is still better though. :colbert:

I would pay so many real moneys for a Ravages of Time Musou.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

I think that happens in Shu's version of the Battle of Yiling. Zhao Yun is bailing out Liu Bei in the north, whilst Zhang Bao and Guan Xing are chewing through the main Wu forces and having homoerotic subtext with each other in the south.
You mean that was mere subtext? :stonklol:

Seawaffle posted:

I would pay so many real moneys for a Ravages of Time Musou.
Well, that story is already filled with "one versus a thousand" insanity (that little spot in the upper left where some lines are sorta pointing? That's Zhao Yun). It's pretty much only in Ravages though where you'll have a desperate Zhao Yun declaring to himself, "Not quite a man of three loyalties, yet not far off either... but I'm not Lu Bu!"

drat near any explanation for what the gently caress is going on with that would be major spoilers, so once again, just have the only chapter I could find that isn't full of Ravages-specific spoilers.

There's actually both a Chinese Ravages MMO and an Android card game, but they're... ehhhhhh. :effort: I'd rather play the otome (I poo poo you not) than those.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Aug 6, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Whoa holy poo poo, remember when Koei used to care about you and let you transfer save data into future games? Well they're doing it again! Warriors Orochi 3 PS3/PSP data will transfer to WO3 Ultimate PS3/Vita.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Well they're doing it again! Warriors Orochi 3 PS3/PSP data will transfer to WO3 Ultimate PS3/Vita.

That does kind of require we get a US version, though, and potentially also a UK one. On the other hand, given the amount of bonds grinding that game involves, thank christ for that.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

If Tecmo Koei put out a Wii U version of the game, they can afford to put out a PS3/Vita revision of said game. They do everything! Come on TK!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chortles posted:

You mean that was mere subtext? :stonklol:

Well, in that they weren't openly confessing their love to each other and making out in the middle of the battlefield, so... kinda.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
So, I got to chapter 240 in Ravages of Time.

This series...

Okay, seriously. If you haven't read The Ravages of Time yet, go do it!

The whole battle of Xiapi was amazing. So much stuff going on, but it was all really well done. When Lu Bu died, I was holding my throat. Just brutal.

Sonata Mused fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMosesNative
Dec 29, 2011

The Man on the Moon.
So where is the best place for the translated version of The Ravages of Time?