Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Beige posted:

The first bird is a juvenile starling, right?

Yes. The Gull looks like a Herring Gull to me as well based on the pale mantle, pale eye, but lack of black ring around the bill (which would make it a Ring-Billed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Bird in fence. Courtesy of the Honolulu Zoo (I feel like a number of these threads will be my photo dump for the week).

http://i.imgur.com/rBHypOo.jpg

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
I don't know what I'm doing in post

Pheasant by beigefifteen, on Flickr

Pheasant head by beigefifteen, on Flickr

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Have you considered cropping this image - removing some/most of the background from the left; it would move the eye to a more rule-of-thirds position, the bird would then be looking into the picture rather than out of it, and it would be more of a portrait composition than landscape for an upright subject.

I'd edit the image to illustrate what I mean but I don't know if there are any rules against that sort of thing, and I'm hesitant to do it without the permission of the photographer.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

Clarence posted:

I'd edit the image to illustrate what I mean but I don't know if there are any rules against that sort of thing, and I'm hesitant to do it without the permission of the photographer.

Go for it. I just played around with different crops but with no success. I lack even a basic artistic eye.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

I was thinking something like this -

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Another trip to Oakland. Some more pictures of black-crowned night herons that don't care when you walk right up to them.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

If you popped a nice vignette in there, this would be an 80s teen heartthrob hawk.

SwiftTheFox
Jun 2, 2007

Prince Hotbod, at your service.
This baby mockingbird is the grumpiest bird I think I've ever seen.

IMG_9222 by SwiftTheFox, on Flickr

IMG_9227 by SwiftTheFox, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

In two days I'm off to Newfoundland to track down Gannets and Puffins. This is my first real vacation in 3 years. Do you think I'm bringing enough gear?

(the correct answer, btw, is that you can never bring enough gear)

SwiftTheFox posted:

This baby mockingbird is the grumpiest bird I think I've ever seen.

IMG_9222 by SwiftTheFox, on Flickr

IMG_9227 by SwiftTheFox, on Flickr
Whatever processing you have used on these is really nice. Poor little guy, he looks so sad (with hair like that, who can blame him).

Beige posted:

I don't know what I'm doing in post

Pheasant by beigefifteen, on Flickr
The crop Clarence posted is a good suggestion. I'd do a bit of dodging on that breast as well to reduce the dark shadow a bit.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

In two days I'm off to Newfoundland to track down Gannets and Puffins. This is my first real vacation in 3 years. Do you think I'm bringing enough gear?

Have a great trip. I can't wait to see your gannet and puffin photos... and I hope you have someone to help you carry all of that gear!

An updated trip report on the Sigma 120-300:
The first copy I got was having some annoying issues with the optical stabilization (it was making a lot of loud clicks, and not disengaging when I turned it off), so I exchanged it for another one (B&H was very courteous and quick about it). The new one just came, and is working great.

Someone asked earlier how it performs with teleconverters - here's a 100% crop with a 1.4X converter on at 420mm f/5.6 on a Nikon D90 with no post work:

And the same sparrow singing:

More distant objects were frequently turning out a bit blurry, but I'm pretty sure that's due to my camera's primitive autofocus system getting confused. I'll try it out on a tripod in manual focus mode the next time we get some sunlight up here.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Moon Potato posted:

Have a great trip. I can't wait to see your gannet and puffin photos... and I hope you have someone to help you carry all of that gear!

An updated trip report on the Sigma 120-300:
The first copy I got was having some annoying issues with the optical stabilization (it was making a lot of loud clicks, and not disengaging when I turned it off), so I exchanged it for another one (B&H was very courteous and quick about it). The new one just came, and is working great.

Someone asked earlier how it performs with teleconverters - here's a 100% crop with a 1.4X converter on at 420mm f/5.6 on a Nikon D90 with no post work:

And the same sparrow singing:

More distant objects were frequently turning out a bit blurry, but I'm pretty sure that's due to my camera's primitive autofocus system getting confused. I'll try it out on a tripod in manual focus mode the next time we get some sunlight up here.

I have the version right before the "Sport" designation. Design is the same, minus one element has an additional Florine coating. Here's some at 300 2.8, 4 and 5.6.

Hes the overexposed spot by torgeaux, on Flickr

Eating by torgeaux, on Flickr

Crop2 by torgeaux, on Flickr

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

IMG_2057 by g.hetzel, on Flickr

IMG_2110 by g.hetzel, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Cedar Waxwing from this morning

Cedar Waxwing by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Common Mynah -- Oahu, Hawaii

Brazilian Red Capped Cardinal -- Oahu, Hawaii

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

neckbeard posted:

Cedar Waxwing from this morning

Cedar Waxwing by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

I love this crop!

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

EPICAC posted:

I love this crop!

I agree its absolutely :10bux: Cash Money :10bux:

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

EPICAC posted:

I love this crop!

EPICAC posted:

I love this crop!

Thanks :) Kinda bummed out that the twig intersected the yellow tip of the tailfeathers though. I was actually out looking for a merlin (or some other small raptor that I had seen hanging around the park the day before) but couldn't find it. This was the first time I had seen a waxwing around all summer so it was a pleasant surprise.

Spent the evening getting eaten alive by mosquitoes for these:

Juvenile Bald Eagle by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

This one was sitting in shadows and just as the sun moved into a nice position it took off

and then I wept because I only have a 300mm lens

Bald Eagles by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Excellent eagle shots! I was hoping to get some like that myself, but the eagles in my area nested behind some hills that are covered in dense brambles/nettles.

torgeaux posted:

I have the version right before the "Sport" designation. Design is the same, minus one element has an additional Florine coating. Here's some at 300 2.8, 4 and 5.6.

That's the same version I got. I really couldn't come up with a compelling reason to pay $1100 more for the Sport. Good job on getting a fairly close up shot on a gold finch, too - those always fly away before I can get anywhere near them.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Went out for the first time with a new 70-300mm lens, was a learning experience but tons of fun to use. This guy was really deep inside a bush, sorry for the leaves.

PreBerry by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

Berry by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

I was not really expecting to find a lot of birds on this particular hike

BABIES :byodood:

Festivus
Feb 19, 2007
Hey everybody,

My dad has been trying to get me into photography for a while now, and we both had some free time this week. These are two shots I took that I was really happy with.

Flamingo by Mallonius on Flickr

King Vulture by Mallonius, on Flickr

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
Life finally quieted down and went back to stalking got the new Olympus 75-300mm lens, not the fastest but works fine in daylight and gives me a 600mm reach in a real portable format. Also playing with a radio trigger and getting the camera physically close as well. I really like the detail I got out of some of those.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Went out yesterday but had crappy light most of the morning and not that many birds. Experimented a little more in post with these.

GBH at PtIsabel 1454 by alankrakauer, on Flickr

GBH at PtIsabel 1455 by alankrakauer, on Flickr

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Green Heron by g.hetzel, on Flickr

:swoon: Finally saw one. Been after a Green Heron for ages.

Field Sparrow by g.hetzel, on Flickr

Double Crested Cormorant by g.hetzel, on Flickr

Great Blue Heron by g.hetzel, on Flickr

Pelican by g.hetzel, on Flickr

Pelicans by g.hetzel, on Flickr

:monocle: Holy balls apparently there's an entire pelican refuge here. I've never seen em this far in-land before.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Casu Marzu posted:

Green Heron by g.hetzel, on Flickr

:swoon: Finally saw one. Been after a Green Heron for ages.

Very cool! Nice catch. I saw one around these parts about a year ago and I didn't have a decent camera with me. Been waiting ever since for another chance and man those suckers are scarce. Tons of great blues and cormorants, however.

and lots of of these cool dudes, an Osprey:

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Congrats on the green heron spotting, Casu Marzu. I've only seen one or two of those outside of Costa Rica.

I brought my camera with me on a trip to a cousin's wedding because I knew I would be passing an eagle's nest on the way there. The nest was empty when I went by, but there were some other nice birds along the way.

The people I was staying with had a pair of allen's hummingbirds in their garden

I made a slight detour to the wildlife sanctuary at the mouth of the Russian River on the way back.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
In the quest for more mm's, I'm thinking about getting this digiscoping adapter. I just got an Eos M when they had the big sale a couple of months ago, and with the EF/EF-S to M adapter, it should work. The M is definitely not the ideal digiscoping mirrorless. I'm sacrificing easy controls and fps compared with my 60D, but I think the balance will be a lot better with the lighter body (plus I can keep my dslr for BIF and other shots).

I find it funny that the digiscope adapter and the lens adapter cost almost as much as the camera + lens in spite of not having any real optics in either one.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

In the quest for more mm's, I'm thinking about getting this digiscoping adapter. I just got an Eos M when they had the big sale a couple of months ago, and with the EF/EF-S to M adapter, it should work. The M is definitely not the ideal digiscoping mirrorless. I'm sacrificing easy controls and fps compared with my 60D, but I think the balance will be a lot better with the lighter body (plus I can keep my dslr for BIF and other shots).

I find it funny that the digiscope adapter and the lens adapter cost almost as much as the camera + lens in spite of not having any real optics in either one.

Why not just buy any old telephoto lens and a 10 dollar adapter?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've already got a pretty good 300mm lens- looking for something reasonably good in low light and at least 500mm...

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

A fat ptarmigan(?)

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

single-mode fiber posted:

A fat ptarmigan(?)

Looks like a Spruce Grouse to me. Where did you shoot this?

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

This was up in Glacier National Park. Whatever it was, it didn't care much about me, and just continued to eat all of those nearby berries.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

What optics are you going to digiscope with? I've seen a ton of digiscoped photos but I almost never see any with a high quality look a photographer would be happy with. Usually they're by people who already own a $2000 spotting scope and don't want to spend another 2k on a DSLR and lens.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

What optics are you going to digiscope with? I've seen a ton of digiscoped photos but I almost never see any with a high quality look a photographer would be happy with. Usually they're by people who already own a $2000 spotting scope and don't want to spend another 2k on a DSLR and lens.

It's a ~20 yr old Swarovski. Pretty good but not the latest generation or two of coatings. This is partly for work where magnification will be more important than quality. I have the worst luck trying to digiscope hand-held with my iphone so this has to be an improvement.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Image: 1 of 16,000 :suicide:

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Hopefully the rest turned out better than that one. :iceburn:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm so jealous that you got one with food in its mouth.

I spent twelve hours watching puffins and not a single one of the fuckers decided to bring back any food.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

HookShot posted:

I'm so jealous that you got one with food in its mouth.

I spent twelve hours watching puffins and not a single one of the fuckers decided to bring back any food.
I think the key is when you go to see them. We missed any chance at close-ups since they were all feeding their young. Most of my puffin shots are heavy crops because they were quite far away, although I did get some amazing action shots of them with gulls that I'll post later.

For now, here are some Gannets:

My wife and I just returned from a trip to Newfoundland. What a birding paradise that place is! One of our first stops was the Gannet colony at Cape St. Mary's. Even though there were tons of tourists in the area, we enjoyed hours and hours of the entire place to ourselves, only seeing people as we made our way back to the car each day.

The only problem was figuring out which out of the 5000 shots we took we should process! I've tried for a mix of all types, and varied the processing a bit on them as well. C&C most welcome.

Gannet spam incoming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Awesome pics all around, those birds are just so sleek looking. Any story behind the blood on the tail feathers?