Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

bobkatt013 posted:

The problem with George is that he is a slacker just like his son.
I am also not sure how much of the awkwardness is just Crispin Glover

I'm not sure if this is an irrational complaint, but one thing in particular always bothered me about BTTF - Biff tries to rape Lorraine in the car at the Enchantment Under the Sea dance, yet back in the present, the McFly's are totally cool with having this guy detail their vehicles?

I've had people tell me that I'm simply interpreting the scene the wrong way and he wasn't actually going to rape her (like he was just drunk and getting carried away, or something) but even as a young kid I felt extremely uncomfortable during that scene because it seemed obvious that Biff was forcing himself on Lorraine and would have raped her if George hadn't showed up. So that whole "If it weren't for Biff, we never would have fallen in love" scene at the end really struck me as kind of hosed up. "Oh, if I hadn't stopped this guy from raping you, we never would have fallen in love, so let's hire this guy to wax our cars!"

Gatekeeper has a new favorite as of 09:39 on Aug 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Gatekeeper posted:

I'm not sure if this is an irrational complaint, but one thing in particular always bothered me about BTTF - Biff tries to rape Lorraine in the car at the Enchantment Under the Sea dance, yet back in the present, the McFly's are totally cool with having this guy detail their vehicles?

I've had people tell me that I'm simply interpreting the scene the wrong way and he wasn't actually going to rape her (like he was just drunk and getting carried away, or something) but even as a young kid I felt extremely uncomfortable during that scene because it seemed obvious that Biff was forcing himself on Lorraine and would have raped her if George hadn't showed up. So that whole "If it weren't for Biff, we never would have fallen in love" scene at the end really struck me as kind of hosed up. "Oh, if I hadn't stopped this guy from raping you, we never would have fallen in love, so let's hire this guy to wax our cars!"

Considering the number of people you have talked to in this day and age that defend it as not really rape, the fact that it took place in 1955 (30 years in the past), and Biff and Georges previous relationship, it's really not that out there to think of George getting a kick out of his old nemesis working for him. Additionally, IIRC, Lorraine didn't really want Biff around and it was George defending him.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Biff is actually pretty loving evil, between the rape thing and the fact that under the right circumstances (1985A) he would gladly kill George and Marty and emotionally abuse Lorraine.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

Biff is actually pretty loving evil, between the rape thing and the fact that under the right circumstances (1985A) he would gladly kill George and Marty and emotionally abuse Lorraine.

Basically this. Even in the first movie it's strongly implied that he regularly beats the poo poo out of people at school and he seems more than willing to run Marty over (both in the skateboard scene and the tunnel scene in the second movie) just for showing him up. Essentially he's a psycho who is just cut a ridiculous amount of slack by the incredibly naive George and Lorraine.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

JediTalentAgent posted:

I suspect if we had a Back to the Future remake set in the early 90s, even a tech-savvy teen Marty from 2015 wouldn't know how to use DOS or get Windows 3.11 to run, how to use a rotary phone, etc. Then proceeding to dress like someone from Beavis and Butthead, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction or The Matrix because those are the only old 90s TV/movies he's seen.

Huh, it's interesting to think about what a remake would look like. Marty from 2015 would go back to 1985, just like the original went back 30 years from 1985 to 1955. I feel like the difference between 1955 and 1985 is waaay bigger than the difference between 1985 and 2015. But maybe that's because I can remember 1985.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

t_violet posted:

Huh, it's interesting to think about what a remake would look like. Marty from 2015 would go back to 1985, just like the original went back 30 years from 1985 to 1955. I feel like the difference between 1955 and 1985 is waaay bigger than the difference between 1985 and 2015. But maybe that's because I can remember 1985.

Between 1955 and 1985 we had the Civil Rights movement and massive economic expansion and a political shift to the right in America. Between 1985 we had an enormous technological revolution some economic upheaval/turmoil but for the most part it was pretty stable politically in America.

So no, I don't think it's in your head. It wouldn't be as crazy. The 60's were such a weird aberration in this country's history.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

t_violet posted:

I only saw BTTF2 a few years ago. The scene where he's looking in the antiques shop made me laugh.

Except for the Perrier, that pretty much looks like what you'd find at a cheap antique/consignment store now. In the 80s, that Mac and CRT tv were the poo poo.

I don't even know what the Magnavox thing in the back is :(

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

In a deleted scene in BTTF3, Mad Dog Tannen actually kills sheriff Strickland, leaving Strickland's son to watch him slowly die (and get important advice about slackers). That scene was just a bit too heavy for the film, and I'm glad it was removed.

Also, BTTF3 had one of my favorite lines in all of cinema. Mad Dog is trying to coerce Marty into a duel, and uses the always-effective method of calling him "chicken." In a rare moment, we see Marty swallow his pride and realize that this situation always leads to trouble. And he slowly realizes why he shouldn't let Tannen's control him:

"He's an rear end in a top hat!"

And every person in the saloon just kinda nods as though, "Yeah, you're just now figuring this out?" It's a funny line that shows Marty's continuing character development, even late into the third film. The delivery and timing is just perfect.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby
I googled "Magnavox back to the future 2" and found this forum post discussing it (just noticed it's an all BTTF forum, weird). Evidently it's an old AM radio (so pre 80s).

Fun fact I just learned - the jacket in the top left corner is Marty's original jacket:

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Coffee And Pie posted:

The way he shoves her during the dance in 1 and in Biff Tower in 2 doesn't make physical abuse a longshot either. When I was a kid I was convinced that Biff was slapping the poo poo out of Lorraine off camera in 1985A.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
On the subject of BTTF2, there is another oddball thing:

Biff of 2015 remembers a flying DeLorean on some random day 30 years previous (but something like that tends to stick with you when you see one for the first time in 1985).

Marty of 2015, while he may be having a rough life and week by this point, doesn't seem to even remember/acknowledge that, "Wow, I remember today! My teenage self is here and my son nearly goes to prison! Hell of a day, hell of a day..."

Also, there's a strange bit of hypocrisy going on, too: Doc doesn't want to change the future by telling Marty about where he screws up in life, letting people know too much about the future, but he's more than willing to change the future for one of Marty's kids for the better.

I really have to stop myself from getting drug down the rabbit hole of time travel mechanics because BTTF series, while I like it, always makes me wonder why leaving Marty's girlfriend comatose on a porch in a high-crime environment in an alternate 1985A will be 'okay' when they change the past.

"Will she be okay here?"
"No, most certainly not, Marty. Someone killing her would be considered a mercy."
"..."
"But once we fix the past, she'll be alive and well, waking up in good old 1985."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that bugs me about 2015 Marty is how apparently he decided to just live a normal button-down life despite his experiences in time travel. I mean, he could become rich and famous just for putting out the story as fiction, let alone as a true story.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

On the subject of BTTF2, there is another oddball thing:

Biff of 2015 remembers a flying DeLorean on some random day 30 years previous (but something like that tends to stick with you when you see one for the first time in 1985).

Marty of 2015, while he may be having a rough life and week by this point, doesn't seem to even remember/acknowledge that, "Wow, I remember today! My teenage self is here and my son nearly goes to prison! Hell of a day, hell of a day..."

I always assumed the Marty in 2015 is like the photo of the tombstone in BTTF3, or the various newspapers. i.e. he represents what will happen if events are allowed to take their natural course. Since it's his timeline that's being altered, he wouldn't have any memory of travelling in time to alter it.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Also, there's a strange bit of hypocrisy going on, too: Doc doesn't want to change the future by telling Marty about where he screws up in life, letting people know too much about the future, but he's more than willing to change the future for one of Marty's kids for the better.

While Doc is hardly reliable, this can be explained as him being specifically against giving a person knowledge of their own future. He's happy to try and engineer someone's future around them provided they don't know what's going on and he has a plan to control everything (see Marty's son), but he's afraid just telling Marty what's going to happen will make things worse.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

jabby posted:

While Doc is hardly reliable, this can be explained as him being specifically against giving a person knowledge of their own future. He's happy to try and engineer someone's future around them provided they don't know what's going on and he has a plan to control everything (see Marty's son), but he's afraid just telling Marty what's going to happen will make things worse.
In the very first movie, he pieced back together and read the letter that would save his life, despite insisting that he shouldn't. Guy is winging it. Not as a knock against him - it's very human behavior to have a general rule and then bend it frequently around the edges.

Particularly if he's still thinking of 1985 as the "present," so anything after that is the still-unwritten future that can freely be altered.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
A BTTF scene that irrationally irritates me is that "...you're gonna see some serious poo poo" really struck me as really out of character for Doc Brown.

Hell come to think of it: it's been awhile since I've seen the movie, but doesn't Doc actually say that he might use the time machine to bet on something?

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

A BTTF scene that irrationally irritates me is that "...you're gonna see some serious poo poo" really struck me as really out of character for Doc Brown.

Hell come to think of it: it's been awhile since I've seen the movie, but doesn't Doc actually say that he might use the time machine to bet on something?

Yup. That's why I like his character. He takes a very responsible stance verbally, but you can tell he's eager to use time travel to fiddle with things just like everyone else. In his defense of this particular moment, it was before poo poo got out of control, so he probably wasn't as concerned with repercussions at this point.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Or, to quote Futurama:

"Ohh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr. "I'm My Own Grandfather"!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

MisterBibs posted:

I don't think he specifically mentions betting, but he does make a comment that he will know who wins the next 30 Superbowls...or maybe it was World Series.

Mr. Beefhead
May 8, 2003

I can make beans into peas.

jabby posted:

I always assumed the Marty in 2015 is like the photo of the tombstone in BTTF3, or the various newspapers. i.e. he represents what will happen if events are allowed to take their natural course. Since it's his timeline that's being altered, he wouldn't have any memory of travelling in time to alter it.

Also keep in mind that Doc has apparently been bouncing around through time for quite a while between the events of the first movie and the events of the second. It seems reasonably likely that he had at least been playing around a bit with destiny-tinkering by the second movie.

I always thought Doc seemed a little defeated when Marty's future was brought up. I'd like to imagine that he'd already taken a few stabs at fixing things for Marty and only made things worse, and now fixing Marty's kid was his last experimental attempt at altering the future. While successful, losing Jennifer and the chaos that ensued convinced him that messing around in time just had too many potential pitfalls.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Given how much Biff, Marty and Doc changed things by just tinkering around in 1955, how much could have been altered by their actions in 1885?

Without Marty and Doc in 1885, would Mad Dog have still been in town to be arrested for the stagecoach robbery? Even the deleted cut of Marshall Strickland's murder wouldn't have occurred without Marty and Doc in the era to create that chain of events. Wouldn't it have been possible that they even unknowingly dramatically altered the world of 1955/1985 again, by drastically altering the events and/or reputation of a Tannen ancestor?

A sick twist of the film series would have been that Marty and Doc solved the Biff problem by accidentally causing him to never be born by their interaction with Mad Dog.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Why does Marty's paternal great-great-grandmother look exactly like his mum? That makes no sense at all.
I can sort of buy a family resemblance between Marty and Seamus McFly, but you can't have both grandparents several generations removed look like your immediate family unless there's some serious incest going on.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I've only ever had two issues with BTTF. Firstly in part 3, in the original 1885, Clara Clayton hired her own buggy at the train station and falls into the ravine, thus getting it renamed Clayton Ravine. In Doc's 1885, he was assigned to pick up Clara at the station, but he was late and thus she hired a buggy herself and almost crashed into the ravine, but was saved.

But, if Doc wasn't in the original timeline then why did she still hire her own buggy? Obviously someone else was originally supposed to go pick her up, but they clearly didn't because if they had and then fell in with her, surely the townsfolk would have named the ravine after that guy and not some random schoolmarm they hadn't met yet. Is the movie implying that Clara is just really really unlucky in getting rides?

Secondly (also BTTF 3) WHY does Marty's Great-great whatevermom look just like Lorraine? At that point his mom has her own ancestors who wouldn't be related to the McFlys. I understand that they are trying to mirror the other movie's scenes, but as a genealogy nut all I can think when I see it is "Oh, so the Baines family must be cousins of the McFly family for them to carry Lorraine's DNA matched doppleganger."

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Stairs posted:

I've only ever had two issues with BTTF. Firstly in part 3, in the original 1885, Clara Clayton hired her own buggy at the train station and falls into the ravine, thus getting it renamed Clayton Ravine. In Doc's 1885, he was assigned to pick up Clara at the station, but he was late and thus she hired a buggy herself and almost crashed into the ravine, but was saved.

But, if Doc wasn't in the original timeline then why did she still hire her own buggy? Obviously someone else was originally supposed to go pick her up, but they clearly didn't because if they had and then fell in with her, surely the townsfolk would have named the ravine after that guy and not some random schoolmarm they hadn't met yet. Is the movie implying that Clara is just really really unlucky in getting rides?

Secondly (also BTTF 3) WHY does Marty's Great-great whatevermom look just like Lorraine? At that point his mom has her own ancestors who wouldn't be related to the McFlys. I understand that they are trying to mirror the other movie's scenes, but as a genealogy nut all I can think when I see it is "Oh, so the Baines family must be cousins of the McFly family for them to carry Lorraine's DNA matched doppleganger."

Edit: Tsaedje We're both up far too drat late, thinking the same thoughts. That's almost as creepy as George marrying his long lost cousin.

Also I'm really bad at quoting and posting.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think in one of the BTTF commentaries, they joke that McFly men are genetically disposed to being attracted to women who look like Lea Thompson (or whatever her name is)

A small, very potent annoyance I've always had with Edward ScissorHands: if Edward needs to eat (he says he's hungry at one point), what was he eating before the family found him? It annoys me as much as it annoys me that it annoys me, because I love the movie.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Stairs posted:

The only thing I can come up with is that in all timelines she either assumed no one was going to pick her up if they didn't arrive by a specific time and would automatically default to choosing to rent a buggy.

I guess maybe if she was still operating on Eastern time, her pocket watch might have said in any case that the time was maybe an hour later than it really was in Hill Valley. If she assumed no one picked her up by 'noon' her time, she didn't realize it was only 11am, etc., she'd just get her own ride.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
How come in Back to the Future Part 3 they don't get the fuel from the DeLorean that Doc hid in that disused mine?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

MisterBibs posted:

A small, very potent annoyance I've always had with Edward ScissorHands: if Edward needs to eat (he says he's hungry at one point), what was he eating before the family found him? It annoys me as much as it annoys me that it annoys me, because I love the movie.
If I recall correctly, the flashbacks indicate that another one of his inventor's creations was a cookie-making machine. He clearly was eating cookies.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Stairs posted:

Doc was probably the only volunteer to go pick her up, so in the original timeline she had to get her own ride.

Plus Doc wasn't late, he specifically decided not to go in order to avoid meeting the girl he was supposed to fall in love with. Him and Marty just happened to be in the right place to see her wagon go out of control. They only realised she was supposed to fall in the ravine after saving her.

fuckpot posted:

How come in Back to the Future Part 3 they don't get the fuel from the DeLorean that Doc hid in that disused mine?

Doc pretty conscientiously prepared the DeLorean to spend 70 years underground. Makes sense that he would have drained the fluids. Why he didn't keep them in anybodies guess, although I like to think he used them all up in experiments before Marty arrived.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

fuckpot posted:

Strudel Man posted:

If I recall correctly, the flashbacks indicate that another one of his inventor's creations was a cookie-making machine. He clearly was eating cookies.

I read these one after another and was disappointed when I realized they weren't related. The thought of Doc chilling in a cave and eating cookies until Marty got there was pretty awesome.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You know, a really stupid thing about the Matrix sequels is how both movies involve Trinity dying.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Strudel Man posted:

But the castle and its machinery are covered in cobwebs, suggesting inactivity :colbert:

(I thought the same at first)

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

When I first watched The Grey from some local media, I somehow skipped forward to just after the plane-crashing scene. Seeing as I knew something about this movie coming into it, it seemed rather normal to start: He's under the sheet with his wife, something ephemeral about it, and suddenly she's pulled away and he wakes up amid snow and wreckage. It was the most awesome movie opening I'd seen in a while, and some callbacks to a bar scene were strange but didn't really make me realize what I'd missed.

Cut to two months later, it's just starting on HBO or something and I notice it didn't start where I thought it did, with instead a solid fifteen minutes of lamentable bullshit before the real point of the movie even gets off the ground. I didn't know he was suicidal or even think his wife was dead the first time around, and instead they practically spell it out for you from the start. My inadvertent skipping of the opening scenes, straight to waking up from the plane crash, made this one of the better movies I'd watched in a while, and somehow the 'real' version was total poo poo.

So yeah. The Grey is way better with a cold open to the short dream scene post-plane-crash.

Spoiler tags added in case somebody hasn't seen it and wants to give this a shot.

Ranzear has a new favorite as of 00:16 on Aug 5, 2013

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

fuckpot posted:

Gasoline will break down and become useless in a pretty short time. So unless Doc thought to stash a bunch of fuel stabilizer in the DeLorean, it would have been worthless as a fuel by the time they needed to use it.

Ape Has Killed Ape has a new favorite as of 04:21 on Aug 5, 2013

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

muscles like this? posted:

You know, a really stupid thing about the Matrix sequels is how both movies involve Trinity dying.

I wanna know why they all wear dorky-looking PVC and leather.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Movie producers are absolutely dedicated to the idea that when a certain action happens, a certain sound is heard, because the audience is so used to hearing it. Sometimes with guns that can't be cocked, they still dub in the sound because hey, that's the noise guns make, right? The Wolverine manages to take it to the next level: there's a part with a bunch of Ninjas preparing to fire their bows, and there's a noise just like a gun being cocked, when each Ninja in turn flexes their arms to ready their bows. It's brilliant. It might've been part of the background music but the timing is impeccable.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I am irrationally irritated that in BTTF3 the Doc, who has been repeatedly shown to be an incredible genius inventor and a master of creating jerry-rigged solutions to problems, just pours a bottle of whiskey into the De Lorean's gas tank and then acts surprised when it doesn't work. The dude built a working refrigerator out of equipment available on the frontier in 1885...surely he can handle distilling some whiskey into pure enough ethanol to run an engine, and making the minor conversions to the fuel injectors that would be required.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Coffee And Pie posted:

I wanna know why they all wear dorky-looking PVC and leather.

The movie is about what happens if hacker nerds get superpowers, and what they wear in the Matrix is just how they view themselves. Once Neo realized he was The One, he brought out his inner Hot Topic.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

I am irrationally irritated that in BTTF3 the Doc, who has been repeatedly shown to be an incredible genius inventor and a master of creating jerry-rigged solutions to problems, just pours a bottle of whiskey into the De Lorean's gas tank and then acts surprised when it doesn't work. The dude built a working refrigerator out of equipment available on the frontier in 1885...surely he can handle distilling some whiskey into pure enough ethanol to run an engine, and making the minor conversions to the fuel injectors that would be required.

It wasn't that he couldn't make the proper fuel, it's that the failed attempt destroyed the fuel injection system. He's a genius, yes, but the movie strongly suggests he doesn't usually get it right the first time, either.

Eclipse12 has a new favorite as of 16:22 on Aug 5, 2013

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Squalitude posted:

The Wolverine manages to take it to the next level: there's a part with a bunch of Ninjas preparing to fire their bows, and there's a noise just like a gun being cocked, when each Ninja in turn flexes their arms to ready their bows. It's brilliant. It might've been part of the background music but the timing is impeccable.

Don't they usually just use 'leather under tension' or whatever they call that noise?

Here we go, top sound effect: Combat Bow Pull is the sound I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Watched Wreck-It Ralph a few times with the kids this weekend, and the skeptic kid of the group asked me how Sour Bill knew that anyone's memories were locked up. Did he happen to see that giant chest when he looked into the code room, because he seemed really nervous just being near there. Or did King Candy at some point brag how no one had their memories because he had locked them up? Do you really remember if you forgot something when it remains forgotten?

Sometimes the skeptic 9 year old is the hardest one to watch a movie with.

• Locked thread