Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Gimmick Account posted:

I just ragequit my current Greco-Italian game. GODDAMMIT!!

I set my genetic superman of a son up with a promising 13-year-old countess whose sole province would have finally given me enough territory to create the Kingdom of Sicily. Since he kept whining about being unlanded, I finally relented and gave him one of my counties, trusting that as long as neither of the two kids died, the path to kingship would be on rails at that point.

Well, I come back a few years later to find out that while I was busy fighting off all those jealous, plotting invaders (I'm part of the Byzantine Empire, so naturally all the other Dukes hate me for my freedoms), the loving IDIOT has apparently not just cancelled the engagement to the young countess (who at this point had already born a son to someone else - So much for that plan), but married an ambitious, deceitful, clubfooted nobody (and tanked his prestige in the process) in her stead. And I guess I have to be thankful for that specific choice, too, because if my daughter-in-law hadn't started plotting to have me killed (My ace spymaster apparently managed to warn me of that 'project' almost as soon as the thought entered her head - She was THAT bad at it. She was that bad at EVERYTHING.), I might have wasted even more years on that game.

Holy poo poo, so frustrated. I wasn't even outmaneuvered or anything - No, my dear son threw an entire Kingdom and several generations of determined plotting away, just to satisfy his decadent hallux valgus fetish. That's not what we sent you to Duke school for! My next son stays right at home until I find him a nice girl AND the vows are exchanged. Arsehole!!

If you bethroth an unlanded person and then land them they will never accept the marriage once both people are of age. You can work around it by switching to the now landed person using the console and manually accepting the marriage once they are both of age, but don't forget about it or it will time out and what you just experienced will happen. Since this is a bug I personally would find it acceptable to fix it using the console (kill playerid on the clubfoot and the previous bethrothed wifes current husband, then you can arrange a marriage as usual).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I've been playing through my first game of Crusader Kings 2 while watching the Idle Thumbs streams. It's been a lot of fun now that I've wrapped my heard around the game. I'm caught up with the Idle Thumbs videos, so I was wondering if there were any other good video LPs of CK2?

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

TjyvTompa posted:

If you bethroth an unlanded person and then land them they will never accept the marriage once both people are of age. You can work around it by switching to the now landed person using the console and manually accepting the marriage once they are both of age, but don't forget about it or it will time out and what you just experienced will happen. Since this is a bug I personally would find it acceptable to fix it using the console (kill playerid on the clubfoot and the previous bethrothed wifes current husband, then you can arrange a marriage as usual).

Oh. It's an actual bug, not just very poor AI judgment? I'm kind of surprised that something as major as this hasn't been fixed yet, if it's as widely known as your post seems to suggest.

I don't want to mess around with the console in this case, because the plausible narrative (which is the most important thing to me in my Crusader Kings games) has already thoroughly been destroyed by this chain of events. Going to take a break from the game for the forseeable future. :/

Mugwump
Apr 13, 2004

I offered to pay $60 million for 5 years of this avatar but was turned down
So I've been getting into CK2 for the first time, watching some LP's and reading various resources to get a handle on the mechanics. I'm playing CK2 with latest updates with all DLC except for old gods and using the Game of Thrones mod. After trying various time periods and lords and failing I think I'm doing okay now with my lord of a single county with two vassals and I have some questions.

My Master of Laws fabricated a claim on the county above me which is part of the du jure lordship I'm looking to take over. The only problem is, my levy's are filling up so slowly and I need all my men to be able to claim the county. I'm training troops and pacifying the province, is it supposed to be this slow? Also am I doing marriage stuff right with trying to marry into claims? Or should I be more focused on getting powerful alliances from it?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Gimmick Account posted:

Oh. It's an actual bug, not just very poor AI judgment? I'm kind of surprised that something as major as this hasn't been fixed yet, if it's as widely known as your post seems to suggest.

I don't want to mess around with the console in this case, because the plausible narrative (which is the most important thing to me in my Crusader Kings games) has already thoroughly been destroyed by this chain of events. Going to take a break from the game for the forseeable future. :/

The narrative is now that your son pulled a Robb Stark on you.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Ofaloaf posted:

I know, I started off by working off of Caligulabob's map. It covers too much space for my liking, tbh-- I wanted to make a more murrican-centric map. Also wanted to add more impassable lines and little mountain passes in the Rockies and Appalachians, but the current arrangement of provinces doesn't lend itself to that.

I also just wanted to make my own custom map and add a notch on my belt.

I tried making my own map before. Creating a custom map from scratch is a massive undertaking, and there's not much point in doing it when someone else's done most of the work for you already. Editing the provinces on an already-made map is a whole lot easier.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
I just played a game where an AI descendant of Ivar formed the Britannia Empire and over the course of the next 60 years, carved up most of western Europe... and holy poo poo, is it annoying to play against a massive Norse blob. Talk about endless waves of looters. A few friendly stabbings later, of course, the empire imploded, but dear God, let this serve as a warning to never allow a Norse blob to grow unchecked.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

On an unrelated note, my comment about dynasty names reminds me, will those stay if converted to EUIV? Like if I take the Saffarids to the end of the game, with the Persian Empire as my primary title, will my country in EU4 after conversion be called the Saffarids or the Persian Empire? I'd imagine the latter since it's possible to have the dynasty change in a revolt but the Timurids and Jalayarids and so forth are called such in EU so I don't know.

If I remember, the name will actually change to reflect the CK2 dynasty name. But I might be full of poo poo.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mister Adequate posted:

If I remember, the name will actually change to reflect the CK2 dynasty name. But I might be full of poo poo.

They said it would, yes.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Sam. posted:

I tried making my own map before. Creating a custom map from scratch is a massive undertaking, and there's not much point in doing it when someone else's done most of the work for you already. Editing the provinces on an already-made map is a whole lot easier.
You ain't kidding. He's still left with the largest and most tedious part of it all, though: creating the history files. Holy poo poo that's a lot of work.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Sam. posted:

The last issue I've got with Caligulabob's North America map is that I have no idea what projection he's using, and the only sort-of-answer I got from him once about it was that he kind of just made it up-- which makes it hard to overlay a proper map and then figure out that the County of Hypothetica in Caligulabob's map is over eastern Kansas rather than eastern Nebraska.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

You ain't kidding. He's still left with the largest and most tedious part of it all, though: creating the history files. Holy poo poo that's a lot of work.
Joke's on you, I haven't gotten bored of making history files yet. Got a rough sketch of what to do for a few titles' histories already, too.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
Who should I ideally hand off excess demesne lands to? I keep going for family members, but they just keep plotting to separate that land from the rest of the kingdom and it's getting annoying having to use my troops to wage a war that shouldn't even be happening when they ought to be away stabbin' people whose lands I want.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Ofaloaf posted:

Joke's on you, I haven't gotten bored of making history files yet. Got a rough sketch of what to do for a few titles' histories already, too.
Oh, designing it is pretty fun. It's going through every last province, shuffling back and forth between files, setting up the title and province history and baronies and characters and COA for every last county, duchy, kingdom, and empire in the game that's tedious.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

Who should I ideally hand off excess demesne lands to? I keep going for family members, but they just keep plotting to separate that land from the rest of the kingdom and it's getting annoying having to use my troops to wage a war that shouldn't even be happening when they ought to be away stabbin' people whose lands I want.

I usually create free new courtiers with button on the holding screen, the general idea is that you want to give it to somebody of your culture and religion with no powerful relatives who won't inherit anything. Usually I look for somebody content and definitely not ambitious but I've heard ambitious vassals might be good in other ways. A high stewardship score is also good for various reasons.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Oh, designing it is pretty fun. It's going through every last province, shuffling back and forth between files, setting up the title and province history and baronies and characters and COA for every last county, duchy, kingdom, and empire in the game that's tedious.
It's slow-going, sure, but it's a nice way to brush up on geography and learn a little bit of local history, maybe even something about naming conventions or other cultural quirks. Flags are pretty easy to come by, too-- there's Roman Catholic and Anglican coats of arms for all US dioceses, and many of the Catholic ones are in svg form on Wikimedia commons. There's civil municipal flags, but they're usually ugly and I try to avoid them. Local college and high school athletics usually have workable emblems, which is always a final fallback to turn to when all else fails.

Military units usually have decent designs to work with, too. For example, instead of using Las Vegas' rather dull flag, I could instead use the shield of the 57th Wing stationed at Nellis AFB on the outskirts of the city.

Going through the histories and titles is all right by me. It's the event-writing and debugging which drive me nuts.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Belasarius posted:

I usually create free new courtiers with button on the holding screen, the general idea is that you want to give it to somebody of your culture and religion with no powerful relatives who won't inherit anything. Usually I look for somebody content and definitely not ambitious but I've heard ambitious vassals might be good in other ways. A high stewardship score is also good for various reasons.

I use the find characters menu, you can set it to within your realm, not ruler, your religion and/or culture (If you want), adult, and male, and that'll pull up every single unlanded person in your nation. No need to pay anything at all when you can just steal the courtiers that your vassals populate their own courts with.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
OK, here's another noob question for you guys: looks to me that alliances are done based on marriages (or other family relations, but for this case I'll just stick with marriages) between two dynasties. Does this mean that I can sever an enemy's alliance to some major power by bumping off one of the married couple? Are there any other ways to mess up somebody's alliance?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

OK, here's another noob question for you guys: looks to me that alliances are done based on marriages (or other family relations, but for this case I'll just stick with marriages) between two dynasties. Does this mean that I can sever an enemy's alliance to some major power by bumping off one of the married couple? Are there any other ways to mess up somebody's alliance?

Yep! Also, characters can't declare war on someone who they're already in a war on the same side as, so if you call someone's ally into an unrelated war, they'll be unable to help against you until that war is over.

That's pretty situational, of course.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
So, a few months back, I played a game as West African pagan Mali to the point of conquering a 300+ realm-size empire. That's well past the size at which the game is no longer fun to play for me, so I stopped; but with the news of the CK2->EU4 converter, I decided to continue that save to the CK2 end date, switching nations whenever my situation becomes too comfortable. So far, I've played as the Petty Kingdom of Trebizond (!!!), which got conquered very quickly; as the Muslim Doux of Paphlagonia, with whom I conquered Anatolia and Greece and reduced the Byzantines to a rump state; and then the Count of Ulm, whose distant descendant is now Queen of England and the most powerful vassal of the Empire of Britannia.

It turns out that games starting in 866 tend to become extremely silly. For example:

The resurgent black Catholic Byzantines, waging a war against the white greek muslim Anatolians. (The Karlings gained the Byzantine throne sometime in the 10th century in this game; Orthodoxy has been wavering on the edge of extinction for centuries.)

Or the powerful nation of Germany, with ~350 realm size, de jure ownership of most of Hungary (along with de facto ownership of the rest), and levies around the 100,000 mark, which very suddenly became this:

This is something like 20 years after the Ilkhanate appeared. It's hard to read at this zoom level, but they got Corsica and Sardinia too.

CK2 is a silly game!

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Belasarius posted:

When you do it this way, I find that it ends up kinda boring. It may be the "Ideal" way to do it, but you end up with a happy country of peons. I'd suggest to keep giving new lands to dynasty members. This way you end up with a ton of family all over the world, and you get the occasional claim to press to add some more land. If you're playing as one of the cultures with adventurers, you can often get nice allies if folks in your dynasties go off to conquer (with your help).

Your dukes and counts having random claims makes successions really interesting. For example, when my last ruler died I ended up with a child king. I was in the middle of a minor war, but nothing too serious. Thanks to my vassals mostly all now hating me (combination lovely regent and was over my demesne limit), my armies were at half their normal strength. Now comes the fun part. Since a bunch of dukes had claims to the kingdom, they decided this would be a great time to start a civil war. As I'm fighting these, of course the central European superpower decided to Holy War me. Not my rebelling vassals, who are small and easy to pick off, but my main kingdom. So now I'm fighting my original war, two civil wars, and a Holy War against a major power. And none of my allies are answering the phone. Oh, and my piety is too low to hire holy orders so no magic infusion of troops there. A lot of your successions end up similar to this when you give all your land to dynasty members. Seriously fun, especially when you end up somehow winning it all.

Plus you get an automatic +5 to relations with dynasty members, so there's that too.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Trying to get a Causus Belli on a single loving tiny rear end plot of land taking 60+ years of horseshit god drat gently caress

The guy likes me, he likes me a lot, can't I just say "Gimme your poo poo or I'm gonna burn your family alive" like the old days?

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

quaunaut posted:

Trying to get a Causus Belli on a single loving tiny rear end plot of land taking 60+ years of horseshit god drat gently caress

The guy likes me, he likes me a lot, can't I just say "Gimme your poo poo or I'm gonna burn your family alive" like the old days?

Yeah there should be an option to "offer vassalization" in the diplomacy menu. Although if they are not the same religion and culture they are pretty much guaranteed to say no and even if they are theres still a good chance theyll refuse.

Probably should consider finding some claimants to that land or children of claimants with inheritable claims and invite/marry hem into your court. If youd done that 60 years ago youd probably already have the land.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Well, even with Notepad++, I still don't see the issue with my file. Everything seems hooked up as it should, but it still complaining. With nothing to go on, the game's basically busted.

...What to do now?

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 4, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

SpRahl posted:

Yeah there should be an option to "offer vassalization" in the diplomacy menu.

...There is an offer vassalization in the Diplomacy menu. It's at the very bottom.

I very rarely get the chance to use it. :(

The thing only works when certain very specific conditions are met:

1) They are the same religion as you
2) They are at least two tiers below you
3) They are a de jure part of your realm

So the AI will never accept a duke offering to vassalize them as counts-- you need to be at least a King. I've never been able to vassalize a duke as an Emperor, but I suppose it'd be possible. And you can never vassalize a King.

For example, if you form the Kingdom of Ireland with only 51% of the counties of Ireland, you can probably vassalize the remaining independent counts without fighting them. However, you'll never be able to vassalize, say, an independent Earl of Gwent, even if he loves you, unless you at least hold the duchy of Powys as well.

Alkanos posted:

When you do it this way, I find that it ends up kinda boring. It may be the "Ideal" way to do it, but you end up with a happy country of peons. I'd suggest to keep giving new lands to dynasty members. This way you end up with a ton of family all over the world, and you get the occasional claim to press to add some more land. If you're playing as one of the cultures with adventurers, you can often get nice allies if folks in your dynasties go off to conquer (with your help).

Your dukes and counts having random claims makes successions really interesting. For example, when my last ruler died I ended up with a child king. I was in the middle of a minor war, but nothing too serious. Thanks to my vassals mostly all now hating me (combination lovely regent and was over my demesne limit), my armies were at half their normal strength. Now comes the fun part. Since a bunch of dukes had claims to the kingdom, they decided this would be a great time to start a civil war. As I'm fighting these, of course the central European superpower decided to Holy War me. Not my rebelling vassals, who are small and easy to pick off, but my main kingdom. So now I'm fighting my original war, two civil wars, and a Holy War against a major power. And none of my allies are answering the phone. Oh, and my piety is too low to hire holy orders so no magic infusion of troops there. A lot of your successions end up similar to this when you give all your land to dynasty members. Seriously fun, especially when you end up somehow winning it all.

Plus you get an automatic +5 to relations with dynasty members, so there's that too.

Man. I hate succession crises, and I hate rebellions. I like a peaceful realm! :(

However, I usually find that the prelude to a succession crisis to be the most interesting part of playing a big realm. I think it's fun to scramble around, mobilize my cabinet, and plot to eliminate uppity vassals in order to prevent the realm from descending into war.

I find it challenging and fun to slowly watch the faction percentages slowly tick up, nervously bribing ambitious vassals, sending my spymaster to cajole vassals into leaving factions, getting my Chancellor to cozy up to the strongest dukes, or sending my Marshal to arrest those guilty of plotting. I like nominating untrustworthy dukes to be my Chaplain and sending him off to become a prisoner of the heathen rulers. I intentionally put disagreeable vassals in charge of my retinues, which I bash against the castles of foreign rulers in hopes that they are killed in the assault. I enjoy conspiring with the Pope to have them executed and lawfully imprisoned! Once I even pushed my brother into revolting by nominating him my court jester and insulting him, just in order to avert a much larger factional succession war.

And, if all my plotting fails and I do get dragged into a succession crisis, there's nothing I love more than simply assassinating the claimant in the middle of the war. :)

v- :doh::blush: -v

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 4, 2013

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
The joke

Your head

(he already knew that option was there; he explained it in the next sentence) :)

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

DrSunshine posted:

...There is an offer vassalization in the Diplomacy menu. It's at the very bottom.

I very rarely get the chance to use it. :(

The thing only works when certain very specific conditions are met:

1) They are the same religion as you
2) They are at least two tiers below you
3) They are a de jure part of your realm

So the AI will never accept a duke offering to vassalize them as counts-- you need to be at least a King. I've never been able to vassalize a duke as an Emperor, but I suppose it'd be possible. And you can never vassalize a King.

I've been able to vaasalize non-de jure dukes but I've had to have all of the following: same culture, same dynasty, same religion, massively green opinion. If even one of those things is off, they won't vassalize. If an adventurer of your dynasty goes off and carves a realm, you can almost certainly vassalize them when they win, provided they meet all the listed criteria.

PS- Thanks for making the girlpower mod, I've been using it because my latest dynasty has been solely producing shitstain sons and ubermenche daughters. It's sucks not being able to do so many things (e.g. tournements) if you're playing numerous successive Queens.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm looking for some particular building modding features - They're locked to particular cultures/religions, but instead of being destroyed when a liege of another religion/culture comes in, they only delete when both the province and the liege have changed. Is that possible?

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

DrSunshine posted:

And, if all my plotting fails and I do get dragged into a succession crisis, there's nothing I love more than simply assassinating the claimant in the middle of the war. :)

v- :doh::blush: -v

I've assassinated the claimant in a succession war I was badly losing. The resulting peace gave me time to build up so that the next revolt was easily beaten. Just goes to show... murder is always the best solution. :D

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Prettymuchfucked.jpg

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Shima Honnou posted:

I use the find characters menu, you can set it to within your realm, not ruler, your religion and/or culture (If you want), adult, and male, and that'll pull up every single unlanded person in your nation. No need to pay anything at all when you can just steal the courtiers that your vassals populate their own courts with.

No guts no glory! The king of Bulgaria is my heir but didn't fit in the screenshot.

I usually don't hand out land to anyone but family members, makes for a much more interesting game than having all your vassals being "randomly generated guy #25". I time my conquests to finish when there are enough male dynasty members alive. If you don't have any, matrilinieary marry females with random courtiers, give them (the male) the land and in one generation the holder will be of your dynasty.

Also, it seems all the males of the Karling family died or something, I actually had nothing to do with this at all:

My plan for this game is to re-create the byzantine empires de jure borders, then put away a save for later conversion. Maybe I will let the AI run wild in observation mode until 1453 just to see what happens, should be interesting.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

TjyvTompa posted:

No guts no glory! The king of Bulgaria is my heir but didn't fit in the screenshot.

I usually don't hand out land to anyone but family members, makes for a much more interesting game than having all your vassals being "randomly generated guy #25". I time my conquests to finish when there are enough male dynasty members alive. If you don't have any, matrilinieary marry females with random courtiers, give them (the male) the land and in one generation the holder will be of your dynasty.

Also, it seems all the males of the Karling family died or something, I actually had nothing to do with this at all:

My plan for this game is to re-create the byzantine empires de jure borders, then put away a save for later conversion. Maybe I will let the AI run wild in observation mode until 1453 just to see what happens, should be interesting.

Why create kings as Byz...why... :negative:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Fewer people to bribe into liking you, and when you raise levies they come neatly pre-packed in a single stack for each kingdom. Also your vassals are quite strong and will probably expand on their own making your territory larger.

I wouldn't do it myself (until I had taken the whole Roman Empire), but there are definitely benefits to doing so, that may outweigh the negatives depending on what your priorities are.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
I only just noticed pretty much all of my bishops are drunks, so at feasts they tend to vomit everywhere pissing my emperor off constantly, turning my dude cynical a few years down the line. I always thought high ranking religious people had to drink less, unless that's only Islam. :v:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Reveilled posted:

Fewer people to bribe into liking you, and when you raise levies they come neatly pre-packed in a single stack for each kingdom. Also your vassals are quite strong and will probably expand on their own making your territory larger.

I wouldn't do it myself (until I had taken the whole Roman Empire), but there are definitely benefits to doing so, that may outweigh the negatives depending on what your priorities are.

While there are merits to creating (small!) kingdoms under any other empire, you get free ducal revocations as the ERE which you lose when you put king vassals in the middle. It'e free to revoke a ducal title of some jackass that's in a faction and put a new duke between you and him.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Knuc If U Buck posted:

While there are merits to creating (small!) kingdoms under any other empire, you get free ducal revocations as the ERE which you lose when you put king vassals in the middle. It'e free to revoke a ducal title of some jackass that's in a faction and put a new duke between you and him.
Well the dukes are the kings' problem then.

I like my vassals strong.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Reveilled posted:

Also your vassals are quite strong and will probably expand on their own making your territory larger.

That is actually a negative for me, they don't get my vision. :colbert:

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

BillBear posted:

I only just noticed pretty much all of my bishops are drunks, so at feasts they tend to vomit everywhere pissing my emperor off constantly, turning my dude cynical a few years down the line. I always thought high ranking religious people had to drink less, unless that's only Islam. :v:
Rules and strictures are for the proles. They carry the privilege of a higher station. :dawkins101:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Knuc If U Buck posted:

As others have already said, it's much easier to keep a few guys happy than many. And I like to keep my vassals strong so that they will expand on their own, they gain more tech points and will raise the tech lever faster, and have higher income so they can improve their holdings. Also if they revolt you only need to siege their holdings for massive war-score, and also if you get lucky you may capture a single guy to end the war. Really the only negative I see from having kings as vassals is that if they revolt they will usually manage to consolidate their levies into 1 giant doomstack instead of many small armies. But those you can handle with your retinues and varangian guard.

When the AI has kings as vassals though, now that's a different story.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Do kings really get more tech? I thought that all dukes generate tech.

I've been hosed by king vassals too many times to the point where I only create the smallest kingdoms and not at all as Byz. I mean have you actually had to pay off several powerful king vassals at once? It's multiple hundreds of gold per, which during a possible succession crisis you don't really want to throw away (and you probably wouldn't be having if your vassals were all dukes with one county demesnes). I used to play by creating every king title and letting them run roughshod over the realm, but hte pain of succession every generation just isn't worth it.

TjyvTompa posted:

As others have already said, it's much easier to keep a few guys happy than many.

No it's not. IT's harder, and if you can't push them over the faction relationship threshold with gifts and honorary titles, then that's it. They stay in the faction with all of their manpower. With dukes, you only need to toss a few low bribes at the most likely candidates to cause the faction to dissolve.

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Do kings really get more tech? I thought that all dukes generate tech.

Yes, tech generation is learning + diplomacy or stewardship or martial, then multiplied by a number (though I can't remember what the numbers are) depending on whether you're a duke, king or emperor.

• Locked thread