Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Then let Gilliam direct it. No, seriously I would watch the gently caress out of that.

I kinda want Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg channeling Hot Fuzz as Batman with Nick Frost as Robin somehow involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Gatts posted:

Possibly Mathew McConaughey. A chill Batman.

Naw, man. That's what I like about these Robins; I get older, they stay the same age.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Crisis of Infinite Batmen. 20 years from now, McConaughey will make a kickass Green Arrow.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 2, 2013

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Master Mold is why I like comic books.

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4LMs6tELrE

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
I'd sell my soul for a Batman movie set in the 40's. I'd love to see a super low-tech purple-gloved Batman face a supernatural foe, like a vampire or an evil German scientist with psychic powers or some poo poo. I basically want an adaptation of Detective Comic #31.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Anything from a comic book that would get excised from a movie because it's just too silly, I like.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Gatts posted:

Why haven't we considered Michael Keaton yet? I think that would be dandy. Possibly Mathew McConaughey. A chill Batman.

"Alright, alright, alright. We're on the same page, Kal. Let's go do some justice."
"You do know justice isn't weed, right?"
"Whatever. The sun's out, I'm bringing justice to the beach."

A whole movie of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg5QBrwKF94

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Castor Poe posted:

I'd sell my soul for a Batman movie set in the 40's. I'd love to see a super low-tech purple-gloved Batman face a supernatural foe, like a vampire or an evil German scientist with psychic powers or some poo poo. I basically want an adaptation of Detective Comic #31.

If they adapted Batman and the Monster Men or Mad Monk I'd just float into space from sheer joy.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Just go all the way and cast Abe Vigoda as Batman.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Oh please don't be true...

Batman/Superman stuff

http://www.batman-on-film.com/BATMAN-REBOOTED_BvS_rumor_Batman-BW-older-in-BvS_8-1-13.html

They want an old Batman.

I just can't not visualize them getting decades of character development with two characters in a 3 hour film.

I guess, on the bright side, we could get lucky and have Clint Eastwood as Bruce Wayne. Even with the rumor being they are looking for mid-40s, I still don't see how they aren't going for Dark Knight Rises comic arc.

that's the only way I see a matchup making sense though, if you want batman to be a credible threat he's got to be a veteran whose punched a few metahumans in his time.

Also no way are they casting an actor so old as to jeapordise sequals.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

massive spider posted:

that's the only way I see a matchup making sense though, if you want batman to be a credible threat he's got to be a veteran whose punched a few metahumans in his time.

Also no way are they casting an actor so old as to jeapordise sequals.

Not only this, but Batman's origin has already been told. Twice on film. And the recent trilogy pretty much redefined the superhero genre. Re-introducing the character again would be a misstep in my opinion. I'd prefer they go with a pre-established Batman.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
An even crazier thought? This is not Supes and Bats first meeting. They've been friends for a while.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I was suddenly reminded that the old X-Men cartoon series from the mid-90's did a version of Days of the Future Past... In my quest to seek it out, I discovered this little gem...

I remembered the theme song, probably from an advertisement on one of my GI Joe tapes as a kid, but I had never seen the full pilot episode (until now).

X-Men, Pryde of the X-Men

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men:_Pryde_of_the_X-Men

The amazing intro, which has been stuck in the back of my mind for 20 years or so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1qrbAGsEOw

The full pilot episode, including Frank Welker and an Australian Wolverine (don't ask me).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEvVgjwGzNU

Apparently it was the basis for the X-Men Arcade Game, which everyone should remember...

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Dingo, Jubilee!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
An Australian Wolverine is pretty much bullshit, to be honest

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I was suddenly reminded that the old X-Men cartoon series from the mid-90's did a version of Days of the Future Past... In my quest to seek it out, I discovered this little gem...

I remembered the theme song, probably from an advertisement on one of my GI Joe tapes as a kid, but I had never seen the full pilot episode (until now).

X-Men, Pryde of the X-Men

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men:_Pryde_of_the_X-Men

The amazing intro, which has been stuck in the back of my mind for 20 years or so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1qrbAGsEOw

The full pilot episode, including Frank Welker and an Australian Wolverine (don't ask me).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEvVgjwGzNU

Apparently it was the basis for the X-Men Arcade Game, which everyone should remember...

The animation isn't bad, but the character voices and sound in general is so dated.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I loved Pryde of the X-Men. I mean I loved the 90s Fox cartoon too, but as somebody who prefers the 80s lineup it was great to see Dazzler and Nightcrawler and Kitty Pryde on the team, and Wolverine and Storm in their old outfits. I always preferred the brown and orange Wolverine costume.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010
Aussie Wolvie's "want a piece of fruit, mate?" became a catchphrase between my brother and I back in the day.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Buddington posted:

Aussie Wolvie's "want a piece of fruit, mate?" became a catchphrase between my brother and I back in the day.

Hahaha yep, and between my friends and I anytime we disagreed with something we'd say "Awwwww BUT SHE'S JUST A KID SHE'LL JUST GET IN THE WAY" in the most over the top Australian accent possible.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
haha, when Professor X is laid on a table and wakes up he just pulls up one leg like it ain't no thang.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

To the surprise of no one, James Marsden confirmed that he won't be back as Cyclops in Days of Future Past, but he's in discussions with Singer about potentially coming back if they do another film.

http://www.hitfix.com/news/surprise-james-marsden-wont-appear-in-x-men-days-of-future-past

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

FlamingLiberal posted:

To the surprise of no one, James Marsden confirmed that he won't be back as Cyclops in Days of Future Past, but he's in discussions with Singer about potentially coming back if they do another film.

http://www.hitfix.com/news/surprise-james-marsden-wont-appear-in-x-men-days-of-future-past
This franchise is getting almost as bad as the Transformers one in terms of resurrecting dead characters.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Devour posted:

This franchise is getting almost as bad as the Transformers one in terms of resurrecting dead characters.

Son, it's the goddamn X-Men. Dyin' and getting better is 90% of what they do.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

My favorite Wolverine is the one from Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, where he had a canadian accent but he wasn't yet a gruff "SNIKT SNIKT BUB BUB" type of Wolverine, so he just kinda walked around the X-Mansion all "oh sorry there didn't see you, let me buy you a molson, eh. Oh and try this poutine here"

e: looked it up on YouTube and apparently he was Australian there. I really remember him being generic Canadian.

But here's this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fiwk7Lm9bPs

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Devour posted:

My first reaction to DOFP was "oh good, they can reset Wolverine Origins and X3".

Between X3, MVC3, and evil Scott, hard time to be a Cyclops fan.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I never liked the original sentinel design.

The original sentinels look like giant obvious supervillains, and not like something manufactured. Even without abs and faces it would be a little much.

The new sentinels are a step in the right direction. They look like something that was built, as much as a humanoid robot fighting machine really can look.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The internet theory, that has never been confirmed to my knowledge, on why Wolverine was Australian in Pryde of the X-Men is that in the script he has a line where he calls Pyro, who is Australian, a dingo. This was most likely meant to be him mocking Pyro's nationality, but no one really got that. Hence the director and actor probably thinking that line meant Wolverine was also Australian. I hope it's true.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

jscolon2.0 posted:

My first reaction to DOFP was "oh good, they can reset Wolverine Origins and X3".

Yeah, resetting anything that happened in those two movies would be a good move.

Except Jean dying, because I actually liked how that impacted the story in The Wolverine. Everything else in X3 can be scrapped.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
They should go over what parts of the old movies they're keeping with a "Previously on X-Men" montage at the beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfmqSOr2-NY

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really like James Marsden as an actor but couldn't stand him as Cyclops. It just never seemed right.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mahoning posted:

I really like James Marsden as an actor but couldn't stand him as Cyclops. It just never seemed right.

I never figured out what didn't feel right until years later. From his other roles I've seen him in and enjoyed I think he has plenty of charisma and comic energy, and a great smile. All of which he has to throw away to play stern ol' Slim.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lobok posted:

I never figured out what didn't feel right until years later. From his other roles I've seen him in and enjoyed I think he has plenty of charisma and comic energy, and a great smile. All of which he has to throw away to play stern ol' Slim.

Marsden has the look for Cyclops and the character has a lot of depth. The problem was that they didn't give a poo poo about any of that in the movies and just made him the jealous rival to Wolverine. Then he had like 10 minutes of screentime in X2 and X3.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

jscolon2.0 posted:

Between X3, MVC3, and evil Scott, hard time to be a Cyclops fan.

It's never really been a great time to be a Cyclops fan.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Dan Didio posted:

An Australian Wolverine is pretty much bullshit, to be honest
Now I just want Hugh Jackman to use his native accent in Days of Future Past.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

WickedHate posted:

It's never really been a great time to be a Cyclops fan.

Morrison's New X-Men, Whedon's Astonishing, some of Claremont's earlier stuff, all pretty good times.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Dan Didio posted:

Morrison's New X-Men, Whedon's Astonishing, some of Claremont's earlier stuff, all pretty good times.

Cyclops in the comics is always (well, at least normally) really well written. Everything outside of that, the cartoons, the movies - no one knows what to do with him.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It's because once you make Wolverine the focal point, the natural urge is to make Cyclops the boring, unsatisfying counterpoint. It's the romance movie logic, where even if the female lead's lover is a perfectly nice person, they're still unsuitable because they're unpalatable by comparison.

The comics make Wolverine the bad guy in that situation.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Dan Didio posted:

It's because once you make Wolverine the focal point, the natural urge is to make Cyclops the boring, unsatisfying counterpoint. It's the romance movie logic, where even if the female lead's lover is a perfectly nice person, they're still unsuitable because they're unpalatable by comparison.

The comics make Wolverine the bad guy in that situation.

What a fantastic point.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Wolverine is in X-Force at some point, right? I wonder if he will be made the leader of the movie X-Force instead of Cable, thus making it another Wolverine-focused X-film. That said, looking at how things are, maybe they'll just go the Ultimate route and make Hugh Jackman both Cable and Wolverine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The MSJ posted:

Wolverine is in X-Force at some point, right? I wonder if he will be made the leader of the movie X-Force instead of Cable, thus making it another Wolverine-focused X-film. That said, looking at how things are, maybe they'll just go the Ultimate route and make Hugh Jackman both Cable and Wolverine.

He's been in X-Force very recently over the past few years, but those teams haven't ever really resembled the classic Cable-led team.

• Locked thread