Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

ukle posted:

Note since you posted that Daniel Rigby's odds keep falling and falling on Ladbrokes, Hes now 2/1.

Looks like the name might have been leaked, and he fits the Matt Smith / David Tennant mold in terms of how they choose the doctors.

He has a show on at the fringe this year and is part of a play that is performing on Sunday at 1500 so unless he is being helicoptered to London or they are doing his introduction as a remote from somewhere in Edinburgh I don't think it's him. Also if i were the BBC I might want him to clean up his twitter account slightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Last bookies post I promise :v:

Ladbrokes just took down their page so the novelty part is definitely over and pretty much the whole betting industry believes the name has leaked. If you click the link in my earlier post it now takes you to the Next James Bond page, Idris Elba is 5/1 and David Beckham is 200/1 in case you fancied a punt!

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Laivaren posted:

Didn't he have a pretty big role in one of the seasons of Torchwood? I doubt it's him, people probably started betting on him, since he was in World War Z. "Ooo he's british, maybe he's the new Doctor?"

Well he did play a WHO doctor in it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Fazana posted:

Last bookies post I promise :v:

Ladbrokes just took down their page so the novelty part is definitely over and pretty much the whole betting industry believes the name has leaked. If you click the link in my earlier post it now takes you to the Next James Bond page, Idris Elba is 5/1 and David Beckham is 200/1 in case you fancied a punt!

If I had to choose between Idris Elba being James Bond or Doctor Who...that would be a tough choice!

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Daniel Rigby is the guy from the BT ads? Hope it's not him, I wouldn't really be happy with a Doctor whose smug face I'd want to punch in. Not so soon after Tennant.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Raeg posted:

Well he did play a WHO doctor in it.

this is genius

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Noxville posted:

Daniel Rigby is the guy from the BT ads? Hope it's not him, I wouldn't really be happy with a Doctor whose smug face I'd want to punch in. Not so soon after Tennant.

I'd not seen him in anything before (don't watch telly really), so I started looking at clips on youtube. I agree that a lot of the time he seems pretty irritating, and seems to lack the gravitas required for the role - but it looks like he did an absolutely spot-on Eric Morecambe in that recent drama. He's utterly unlike himself, if that makes sense - and that could bode well for how he would portray the Doctor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhhUF60QtXg

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
I support Idris Elba for Bond simply because I have yet to be convinced that Idris Elba isn't actually James Bond IRL.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

BrooklynBruiser posted:

I support Idris Elba for Bond simply because I have yet to be convinced that Idris Elba isn't actually James Bond IRL.

I saw Idris Elba DJ-ing for an hour and a half at Ministry of Sound in London last saturday night. He's surprisingly good. I am fully supporting of anything he wants to do, including cancelling the apocalypse. :allears:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Astroman posted:

If I had to choose between Idris Elba being James Bond or Doctor Who...that would be a tough choice!

I think Daniel Craig is going to hold onto it for as long as they'll let him, unfortunately. Not that he's bad, I'd just prefer to see some change (Elba would certainly be a good candidate!) rather than end up with another Roger Moore situation.

I'd still prefer someone a little more unknown for the Doctor, but maybe the show has gotten enough popularity that they're starting to look for someone with a little more celebrity.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I had no idea that MTV Geek was even a thing, but here is their deadly serious* speculation as to why Capaldi is the new Doctor

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2013/08/01/leaked-doctor-who-script-pages-confirm-peter-capaldi-as-the-new-doctor/

*not deadly serious.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Idris Elba would be better for Bond than Doctor Who, because I suspect that the average Bond fan is just a bit more of a daily mail reading, top gear watching, reactionary.

But Capaldi would be an amazing Doctor, and he is more of a TV actor anyway. I doubt he'll be cast but he's probably my ideal candidate for the role.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
That fake capaldi script is pretty much exactly what I heard in my head when his named started being thrown about.

keep punching joe posted:

Idris Elba would be better for Bond than Doctor Who, because

...bond takes his shirt off a lot more.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Frobisher is a better pick than that Rigby guy for sure. I wouldn't want to punch the new Doctor in the face every time I see him.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Daniel Rigby actually beat both Matt Smith and Benedict Cumberbatch to a BAFTA award.

Just saying. Hes a legitimately good actor. Plus hes got a pretty close relationship with the BBC having done a lot of TV and radio work with them. I can see why they'd pick him.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I'd love to see Capaldi as the Doctor, not only because he's awesome in everything I've seen him, but because he looks like an old grumpy guy, instead of a hipster geeky guy.

Just found out that Daniel Rigby is that guy from that one episode of Black Mirror that I actually saw. Not a bad choice, but Capaldi would be great.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Capaldi looks like he'd play a better Master than Doctor.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Come on guys we all know it's gonna be this fellow

He has nothing booked for all year and the next year.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

scary ghost dog posted:

I really wouldn't mind this at all. Look at him! He's gorgeous!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

scary ghost dog posted:

I'll allow it if that's his costume as well.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Anyone know if this thing will be streamed on BBC's website or something? We unfortunately don't have access to the native BBC in this country.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Anyone know if this thing will be streamed on BBC's website or something? We unfortunately don't have access to the native BBC in this country.

What country are you worried about? It's live on BBC America at 2:00pm Sunday.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Delzuma posted:

I'll join him in being concerned about finding a livestream; I'm in the US, and don't have a working telly. Haven't wanted or needed one for years, any shows I watch, I watch online.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Delzuma posted:

Denmark. We have BBC World/Entertainment, which are the regionalized versions, and they're not showing it.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 3, 2013

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Delzuma posted:

I have Directv and it airs at 11am pst for me on Sunday. So I get to find out right before work :dance:

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

scary ghost dog posted:

It's really amazing how much Matt Lewis aged into his looks from the first Harry Potter movie into that for the last.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Looks like none of the Sundays managed to ferret out a name from someone, Moffat allegedly said yesterday only ten people know the name atm. They almost all seem to think Capaldi has got it though.

A few editorials yesterday and today have been campaigning for a female Doctor, I suspect they will do that next time round.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
** BEGIN CRACKPOT THEORY **

1) The announcement is being broadcast live on BBC America, so it will be someone known to Americans.
2) John Hurt was a clue.
3) The Doctor will finally be a woman.
4) The Doctor will be Sigourny Weaver.

** END CRACKPOT THEORY **

I don't seriously believe this by the way, but as pretty much no one knows for sure who it will be I thought I'd add to the noise.

Personally I'm still hoping it will be Tilda Swinton, for real.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Fazana posted:

A few editorials yesterday and today have been campaigning for a female Doctor, I suspect they will do that next time round.

Is there any benefit in having a female doctor besides being able to say they had a female doctor?

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?
Never mind Stringer Bell as Doctor Who, what about Jimmy McNulty? Crashing the TARDIS into the time vortex while out of his face on Jamiesons and playing The Pogues.

In all seriousness I'm now kinda hoping it isn't Peter Capaldi. He's been in Doctor Who AND Torchwood which is firmly established in the same universe. I'd much rather have someone who's never appeared before.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Is there any benefit in having a female doctor besides being able to say they had a female doctor?

It'd be amazing if it was announced that it's the first ever female Doctor and none of the feminists in the country can discuss it because they're on a Twitter silence!

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
I hope it's not a female Doctor. I don't trust them to not make her into some awful stereotype.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

paint dry posted:

I hope it's not a female Doctor. I don't trust them to not make her into some awful stereotype.

I am likely entirely wrong.. but I have this nagging sneaky suspicion in the back of my head that Tennant could be making a return. You notice how there is literally nothing on that possibility being banded about? It's not beyond the realms of possibility.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Irish Joe posted:

Ideally there'd be no more benefit to having a female Doctor than a male Doctor, because there's no reason the character has to be exclusively male when they keep saying that he could be anything at all. But the reason I want one and think any diversity at all to the role would be a great benefit is to do with the show's message:

The core theme of the series is that the role of the hero is not a result of superficial things personality or looks or dress sense. No matter how much those change between his regenerations, the show's titular character is still The Doctor because every Doctor so far has always been devoted to the same goals and the same promise. They all seek to help and inspire others, right wrongs and fix broken things and essentially that's the only important part of the character you can't change. He isn't a hero because he's smart, charismatic or well-educated, but because he dedicates every waking moment to helping others and making the universe a better place.

That's what his companions really get from travelling with him. He shows them a better way of living because no matter where they come from, whether they're men, women, smart, stupid, alien or human, they can all be as heroic as he is. This was actually a major plot point towards the end of the RTD era.

So if the show is all about how anyone can make life better for everyone, why should the person teaching that lesson always be one particular kind of person? Wouldn't it be more in keeping with the theme of the show that the Doctor could literally be anyone as opposed to just any white male from the UK?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Don't get me wrong, I think they could do a lot with a female doctor. Having a maternal doctor after so many paternal and fraternal doctors would definitely bring something new to the table and expand the mythos in interesting ways. The problem is that the call for a female doctor isn't so much about having a uniquely female doctor, but about having a woman playing the male doctor role, which reeks of tokenism.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
So how long into the live broadcast do you think they'll announce this? Do you think they're gonna do a "Matt Smith Retrospective" for like the first 20 minutes and then go with a reveal, or just lead with it?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The Doctor can be played by an actor of any gender, ethnicity or nationality. Except American.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I really, really hope Tennant isn't coming back. Nothing against him but I'd stop watching due to what that would mean to the series.

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!
What if it's Billie Piper? How much hosed would that be?

Edit: NVM. Guess it's a dude!

OppositeAstronomer fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Kylie Minogue for Doc 12. Female, not from the UK, will be a ratings boon if Voyage of the Damned is anything to go by.

• Locked thread