Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
God, I wish games still had cool installation programs like the older Command & Conquer games and CD-Keys were still a thing, because it's way better than what we have now (compared to the real DRM poo poo we have to put up with in other places).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
I love Starcon 2, but drat, I remember it being really loving hard to not-die.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Charles Martel posted:

God, I wish games still had cool installation programs like the older Command & Conquer games and CD-Keys were still a thing, because it's way better than what we have now (compared to the real DRM poo poo we have to put up with in other places).

Another of the good ones was for Crimson Skies which is actually plot vital information. Though if you try to install Crimson Skies on a more modern hard drive (assuming you can even get the game running) the game will install and stop the voiceovers before its halfway done.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Charles Martel posted:

Oft forgotten about because everyone had Windows by that point so used the lovely Windows installer, Red Alert 1 had one too.

Luckily they did it again for RA2 and Renegade, but those installers are absurd because they seem to take a set amount of time to install for some reason. (Like 10 minutes or something.) Those installers have never gotten faster as time has gone on. Or at least it's just the RA2 one that is like that. Memory is sketchy.

Babby Sathanas fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 2, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

duckfarts posted:

I love Starcon 2, but drat, I remember it being really loving hard to not-die.

Yeah, combat isn't balanced at all and searching for resources can be devastating. Basically any planet with a hazard/weather rating over 3 is bad news. A single seismic ring or fireball is enough to blow up your transport.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I tried to run Arma: Cold War Assault at video settings higher than the default, and it freaked out and started running at 1 frame a minute. Either the optimization for this game wasn't very good, or this 12-year-old game is just too high-end for my 1-year-old computer.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Charles Martel posted:

The one that always stuck out in my mind was for the 1998 Battlezone remake - mainly just audio but it sets the mood perfectly (great music too):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucBEdgsre-0

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I played SCII in 2005 for the first time, and I came into it cold. I'll be the apologist for it for this post.

I died a couple times. Maybe even a handful.

I learned pretty quickly about what I could and could not deal with, and what I'd need to deal with those high-risk planets, and those high-risk opponents. It wasn't hard to figure out.

I still died sometimes, but overall I didn't have a hard time with it. I reloaded old saves, yeah, but not by that much.

Also: I am not a hardcore gamer by any stretch, but I admit this game clicked with me. It definitely is a game from an older generation. But I found very little about it to be unreasonable.

SCII: it's not that hard! But it isn't easy.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jamesman posted:

I tried to run Arma: Cold War Assault at video settings higher than the default, and it freaked out and started running at 1 frame a minute. Either the optimization for this game wasn't very good, or this 12-year-old game is just too high-end for my 1-year-old computer.

Little bit of both. The engine lets you set the draw distance to a ridiculous distance and other ridiculous texture rendering that you don't even see in games today. It was a very "future proof" engine even though it looks like rear end today.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

al-azad posted:

Little bit of both. The engine lets you set the draw distance to a ridiculous distance and other ridiculous texture rendering that you don't even see in games today. It was a very "future proof" engine even though it looks like rear end today.

Yeah, once I started playing it, I kinda realized that changing the video settings would have been pointless.

I also kinda realized that this game may not be one of the more fun ones to play through. My experience thus far could probably be summed up as a "clusterfuck" and I'm really not sure if it's going to improve as I get further into the game.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Best times with that game is with other people. Managed to get some semi-large games going at once point with some other goons and it was pretty awesome. Aside from attempting the normal missions we'd mess about with the map editor or try some of the more crazier mods (ie. Wanza).

I've always found the stealth missions more fun in the Arma games though. Sneaking around in the dark with a couple of other people and attempting to blow up some AA is unbelievably tense since you can die so easily.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I liked the primary campaign. You get into some pretty tense battles with dozens of enemies at once. Tried to play the resistance campaign and was bored to tears. It starts you off by having you drive to your job and then there's a part I flat out cannot beat where you have to shoot several men while you're armed with a single shot rifle.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Charles Martel posted:

I've often wondered why these went away for good with Windows, and never came back. Particularly in the present console generation with long HD installs it'd seem like the past couple years would've been a good time to resurrect them, but nobody ever did.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

macnbc posted:

I've often wondered why these went away for good with Windows, and never came back. Particularly in the present console generation with long HD installs it'd seem like the past couple years would've been a good time to resurrect them, but nobody ever did.

I don't know if it's possible on XB360 because installation is optional and done through the front end. Same goes with PC games where the client handles the installation.

It has been done for some PS3 games, most notably Metal Gear Solid 4 which at least has Snake smoking a cigarette during installation. I don't know, it's just one of those novelties that went away.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

al-azad posted:

It has been done for some PS3 games, most notably Metal Gear Solid 4 which at least has Snake smoking a cigarette during installation. I don't know, it's just one of those novelties that went away.

The MGS4 one would've been cool if it actually was tied to the install. Like if the cigarette burned down as a progress bar. Instead he just cycled through an animation until complete.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Since this is GOG we're talking about, and they pretty much use a unified installer for their games, they could make a little installation game. Something like Breakout, where the ball is a CD, the paddle is a fedora, and the little bricks are DRM. After you clear the board, the lead guy from all the video promos, his head shows up with lasers shooting out of those intense eyes of his.

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004

al-azad posted:

Tried to play the resistance campaign and was bored to tears. It starts you off by having you drive to your job and then there's a part I flat out cannot beat where you have to shoot several men while you're armed with a single shot rifle.

You stopped just before it got good. I thought the Resistance campaign was amazing, especially since a lot of your equipment and troops are persistent. This means you can run around looting bodies and caches for weapons and other gear, and I think your guys get better as the game goes on if they stay alive. It does an excellent job of giving the player a feeling of progress.

Then at one point you get to steal a bunch of T72s and level an entire town. It was one of the most bad rear end moments in a game I can remember. :allears:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sackmo posted:

You stopped just before it got good. I thought the Resistance campaign was amazing, especially since a lot of your equipment and troops are persistent. This means you can run around looting bodies and caches for weapons and other gear, and I think your guys get better as the game goes on if they stay alive. It does an excellent job of giving the player a feeling of progress.

Then at one point you get to steal a bunch of T72s and level an entire town. It was one of the most bad rear end moments in a game I can remember. :allears:

Resistance was so strong narrative wise that the campaign in Arma was a bit of a shock for how bad it was.

Also James Gastovski. Cold War Crisis is amazing for doing so much with so little when it comes to the story - you start with Armstrong and his squad of rookies, and you experience all of the drama of getting your poo poo kicked in because you weren't prepared for it. Then you get into the head of the tank guy and your introduction to him is "You are a fuckup but we have nothing left and the Reds are coming. gently caress." Then the next thing you know James Gastovski steps off a Blackhawk and says "I heard you needed poo poo sorting". First words in mission: "Another bunch of bad guys bites the dust. Am I good or am I good?"

It's just a bit of a pity that the last few missions kinda forget the other characters exist. I would have like to end with Armstrong's character arc from rookie to battle-hardened squad leader properly completed.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Cold War Assault is terrible. :(

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jamesman posted:

Cold War Assault is terrible. :(

My 17 year old self will fight you.

Seriously though, aside from the ridiculously complex and unfair later missions, I had a blast with the original Cold War Crisis, Red Hammer, and Resistance. They were certainly a lot better than the single player campaigns in the Arma games. I replayed the tank missions in all three games a ton, and the simpler/shorter infantry missions worked mostly well.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Kibayasu posted:

Seriously though, aside from the ridiculously complex and unfair later missions, I had a blast with the original Cold War Crisis, Red Hammer, and Resistance. They were certainly a lot better than the single player campaigns in the Arma games. I replayed the tank missions in all three games a ton, and the simpler/shorter infantry missions worked mostly well.

Red Hammer was kinda shite, it was all a result of Codemasters wanting to cash in on OFP's success ASAP by putting an outsider team work on it. You'd think that it would have been simple enough to depict the CWC campaign from the red side, but RH did this in the most clichéd way imaginable - an ex-Spetsnaz soldier who gets wronged, switches sides and defeats the evil Commies almost all by himself, flying helicopters and driving tanks in the process. It's a one man's war.

OFP also has a bunch of TC mods that added entire new armies and campaigns to it. My favourite was the Finnish Defence Forces mod that also added WW2 units to both Finnish and Soviet sides, Afghanistan-like environment with appropriate forces and other fun poo poo.

Other... interesting mods:

(Japanese Self Defence Forces mod)

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I had a lot of fun playing Operation Flashpoint, just by downloading untold amounts of mods, using the editor, and doing plenty of missions. Resistance ended up being a requirement for them too, mainly being the addition of pistol animations.

Never could figure out the scripts though, I was pretty young and dumb when i played it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kibayasu posted:

Checkpoints are spread way too far apart or are completely nonexistent, so when I fail missions, I have to do a ridiculous amount of boring stuff over again. And I fail a lot, because I will get shot out of nowhere by the enemies with sniper-like precision, because I my inexperience with the game means I don't know what's expected of me and results in failures, or simply because the game bugs out.

Oh, but you can save. Meaning, you can save ONCE per mission, creating one extra, unmoveable checkpoint for yourself, which is only good if you know the mission in advance and know the best time to save.

The missions are really terrible too. I think my favorite one so far has been running aimlessly through the forest for 10 minutes, alone, to get to a castle while being chased by aimbots. When I made it to the castle, the script hosed up, so I had to do it all again.

It's just a lot of frustrating, boring bullshit and I hate it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Jamesman posted:

Checkpoints are spread way too far apart or are completely nonexistent, so when I fail missions, I have to do a ridiculous amount of boring stuff over again. And I fail a lot, because I will get shot out of nowhere by the enemies with sniper-like precision, because I my inexperience with the game means I don't know what's expected of me and results in failures, or simply because the game bugs out.

Oh, but you can save. Meaning, you can save ONCE per mission, creating one extra, unmoveable checkpoint for yourself, which is only good if you know the mission in advance and know the best time to save.

The missions are really terrible too. I think my favorite one so far has been running aimlessly through the forest for 10 minutes, alone, to get to a castle while being chased by aimbots. When I made it to the castle, the script hosed up, so I had to do it all again.

Someone sucks at games. :smug:

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Jamesman posted:

That's understandable. With more experience you'll learn how to advance without exposing yourself too much but the ai can be brutal. There's a cheat that I did use to get more save games and acts like a quicksave. Hold Shift and then press - on the numpad. Then type in (without holding anything) "savegame" without quotes.

Deakul posted:

Someone sucks at games. :smug:

hahaha :D

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jamesman posted:

OFP has a single player mode? This is news to me!

e; vvv

Commander Keenan posted:

I never played multiplayer OFP/ARMA until Arma 2. Maybe I'm completely wrong, but it always felt like the series was single-player heavy until Arma 2 really emphasized the multiplayer portion.

It's more that ArmA2 is when the series completely stopped caring about SP - most of the MP communities that are around nowadays have been around since the OFP days, and it was just as great in MP, but I think Bohemia dropped SP for A2 because they realised how bad they were at it.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 4, 2013

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Lemon Curdistan posted:

OFP has a single player mode? This is news to me!

I never played multiplayer OFP/ARMA until Arma 2. Maybe I'm completely wrong, but it always felt like the series was single-player heavy until Arma 2 really emphasized the multiplayer portion.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jamesman posted:

No, I get it. If I was just playing the original OFP for the first time now, I'd probably find it equally frustrating. Modern, well-designed games have ruined my ability to put up with silly bullshit :argh:

Nenonen posted:

Red Hammer was kinda shite, it was all a result of Codemasters wanting to cash in on OFP's success ASAP by putting an outsider team work on it. You'd think that it would have been simple enough to depict the CWC campaign from the red side, but RH did this in the most clichéd way imaginable - an ex-Spetsnaz soldier who gets wronged, switches sides and defeats the evil Commies almost all by himself, flying helicopters and driving tanks in the process. It's a one man's war.

Which is exactly why its awesome after all the tedious missions Cold War Crisis puts you through :colbert:

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's more that ArmA2 is when the series completely stopped caring about SP - most of the MP communities that are around nowadays have been around since the OFP days, and it was just as great in MP, but I think Bohemia dropped SP for A2 because they realised how bad they were at it.

Which is a shame because a lot ofthe Arma 2 single player missions' set-up has really good potential let down by all the quirks their engine has and BI's scripting (at least for larger single player events). Several of the missions are basically open world. You're given a large chunk of the island as your "operating area," several tasks to accomplish, and sent on your way. But thanks to some bad design decisions (hidden time limits usually being chief among them) and the usual AI quirks it turns out frustrating more times than awesome.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Commander Keenan posted:

Same. I loved the single player in Cold War Crisis and could never get into ARMA because of I'm not a multiplayer guy. There were some harrowing loving missions in that game.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Oh man. Really wanting to play Tiberian Sun right now.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

spider wisdom posted:

http://www.fileplanet.com/210105/210000/fileinfo/Command-&-Conquer:-Tiberian-Sun-%28Full-Game%29

There you go, C&C Gold, Red Alert and Tiberian Sun were put up as freeware a while back by EA.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

spider wisdom posted:

I still have a copy of The First Decade I bought years and years ago for a ridiculously cheap price, and you could probably imagine my disappointment when all of the installers were some lame, vanilla text-based crap. :rolleyes: I want installation sequences that get me HYPED for what I'm about to get immersed it, drat it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, Cold War Assault can absolutely gently caress itself now.

I got up to the part where I manned a tank... except I wasn't actually manning it. I was telling someone else how to man it, which controls exactly as well as it sounds. In fact, you can set the whole thing to autopilot and stay in formation and drive around with a squad and just sit back and not do a single thing, which is how I ended up doing the very next mission and completing it.

Except I didn't complete it, because I got kicked out of the army. I guess my repeatedly low scores actually meant something and I failed the entire campaign as a result. No, gently caress you game. I'm done with your bullshit and I'm going to play a good game now.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Jamesman posted:

Yeah, Cold War Assault can absolutely gently caress itself now.

I got up to the part where I manned a tank... except I wasn't actually manning it. I was telling someone else how to man it, which controls exactly as well as it sounds. In fact, you can set the whole thing to autopilot and stay in formation and drive around with a squad and just sit back and not do a single thing, which is how I ended up doing the very next mission and completing it.

Except I didn't complete it, because I got kicked out of the army. I guess my repeatedly low scores actually meant something and I failed the entire campaign as a result. No, gently caress you game. I'm done with your bullshit and I'm going to play a good game now.

The game is trying to teach you to command. Use w to tell your driver to move forward and you can also use the command menu to tell your driver to move to the next waypoint. Learn to spot enemies and tell your gunner to fire.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

GoldenNugget posted:

The game is trying to teach you to command. Use w to tell your driver to move forward and you can also use the command menu to tell your driver to move to the next waypoint. Learn to spot enemies and tell your gunner to fire.

Nope, not having any of it. I already uninstalled it and am going to find something worth playing.

Also firing your guns and ordering the tank to a location both use the same control, so I was unable to fire on enemies and was instead just driving up to them to say hi. So that was fun.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jamesman posted:

Nope, not having any of it. I already uninstalled it and am going to find something worth playing.

Also firing your guns and ordering the tank to a location both use the same control, so I was unable to fire on enemies and was instead just driving up to them to say hi. So that was fun.

I guess its useless to say at this point, but assuming you were locking an enemy first, as long as you don't click on the ground you won't click-move, and if your cursor icon turns into an enclosed crosshair its defaulting to the "Fire" command. You could have also turned on "Manual Fire" through the action menu so you don't have to wait for your character to say "Fire" to actually fire.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Charles Martel posted:

I still have a copy of The First Decade I bought years and years ago for a ridiculously cheap price, and you could probably imagine my disappointment when all of the installers were some lame, vanilla text-based crap. :rolleyes: I want installation sequences that get me HYPED for what I'm about to get immersed it, drat it.

The First decade is the opposite of C&C's cool installers, ironically. Have fun typing in 10 cd keys every time you want to install or uninstall any of the C&C games on the DVD.
I wish EA just put the budget from the bonus disc for First Decade and used it to make a really awesome FMV installation now :(

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kibayasu posted:

I guess its useless to say at this point, but assuming you were locking an enemy first, as long as you don't click on the ground you won't click-move, and if your cursor icon turns into an enclosed crosshair its defaulting to the "Fire" command. You could have also turned on "Manual Fire" through the action menu so you don't have to wait for your character to say "Fire" to actually fire.

I was doing all of the things you are saying to do.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Entorwellian posted:

The First decade is the opposite of C&C's cool installers, ironically. Have fun typing in 10 cd keys every time you want to install or uninstall any of the C&C games on the DVD.
I wish EA just put the budget from the bonus disc for First Decade and used it to make a really awesome FMV installation now :(

That bonus disc was disappointing as hell, they should've included a lot more.
I'm talking retro making ofs, old promo material, soundtracks, and other goodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Deakul posted:

That bonus disc was disappointing as hell, they should've included a lot more.
I'm talking retro making ofs, old promo material, soundtracks, and other goodies.

Oh, but you got that big manual (which was just the old ones taped together and without the fluff text) and that post stamp sized Ion Cannon poster, as well!

Again, the old C&C installers were masterfully crafted tools of immersion, and they really did improve the package as a whole, without killing the team's budget or work hours.