Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

Does anyone know were I could get an icalendar with all the Harry Potter Dates on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

blastron posted:

No, no, he learned to kill dementors by using his superior transhumanist ideals to reject the very concept of death, so his "happy thought" is that nobody has to die ever, which kills dementors because they are secretly the physical manifestations of the concept of death, and apparently Rowena Ravenclaw figured it out but didn't tell anyone? :confused:

It's weird but it does result in an interesting tangent on the ethics and implications of giving people knowledge that they aren't prepared to use. Knowing how Harry's patronus works doesn't mean that you can cast it, but it does mean that you can't cast an ordinary patronus anymore.

If the purpose of that bit of the story wasn't to go on about how awesome transhumanism is as a concept then it would be really interesting to see a deeper exploration of how power/ability imbalances in the Wizarding world means that some people are able to do things that others consider impossible and the nature of magic means that it would be an incredibly bad idea for them to say anything other than 'this spell is impossible for you'.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

So basically the Harry Potter universe has a built-in mechanic for gimping your character.

DarkUltim8Hedgehog
Dec 5, 2012

Sarkozymandias posted:

So basically the Harry Potter universe has a built-in mechanic for gimping your character.

Well... There are many beasts in the wizard world that make stronger enemies than Dementors. Dragons, for one.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I got a Pottermore account as part of the sneak preview for the first million people, or whatever it was. But i never did anything with it. Now I'm rereading the series for like the 6th time (but reading the US editions for the first time) and I'm finally going through Pottermore as I do each chapter. It's surprisingly fun! I'm loving all the extra tidbits of canon, and the wand/sorting tests were cool. I'm in Hufflepuff, can't remember what my wand was though.

The update schedule seems really slow, though. The site has been around for nearly 2 years i think? And they're just now 7 chapters into Prisoner of Azkaban. Anyone know how often this book is going to get updated?

edit: this thread's title needs an update.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Feb 13, 2013

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Double post oops.

Anyway the US editions are getting new cover art, starting with

Here's some other cool stuff: first, every single chapter-heading art from the US editions in one image. And, retro cover designs for the series. Look at the Deathly Hallows one :psyboom:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I really quite like the new Philosopher's Stone cover. Kinda Dickensian.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

cptn_dr posted:

I really quite like the new Philosopher's Stone cover. Kinda Dickensian.

I can't wait to see the rest! They're all coming out in September thankfully, not one per year or any bullshit like that.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Hedrigall posted:

I can't wait to see the rest! They're all coming out in September thankfully, not one per year or any bullshit like that.

Oh, awesome. Take note, Pottermore.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Life is full of twicky decisions...

Hedrigall posted:

Double post oops.

Anyway the US editions are getting new cover art, starting with

Here's some other cool stuff: first, every single chapter-heading art from the US editions in one image. And, retro cover designs for the series. Look at the Deathly Hallows one :psyboom:

The old style designs are brilliant. They reminded me of these minimalist covers:

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

I'm glad they went for a sort of re-imagining based on the book rather than the WB interpretation of everything.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

http://insider.pottermore.com/2013/03/a-new-way-to-experience-pottermore.html

Pottermore on PlayStation Home if you've already been sorted. I think I left off somewhere in the middle of Chamber of Secrets.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
isn't it about time the US publisher bit the bullet and quietly renamed it Philosopher's Stone?

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Popcorn posted:

isn't it about time the US publisher bit the bullet and quietly renamed it Philosopher's Stone?

I'm glad someone else shares this pet peeve. That, and I like the art a lot more from the UK/EU versions.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Thanks to this thread (and an upcoming Disneyland/Californian theme parks) trip, I've bought The Magicians and all 7 'Mark Reads Potter' books. I'm surprised how quick the Mark Reads books got here - less than a week, which is impressive for :australia:

Is Pottermore still a complete waste of time? I think I got in when it first started thanks to some friends on tumblr and was bored almost instantly.

MOR is complete trash poo poo that tries to use pop culture references (aside from the Potter framing) to brainwash kids (Harry gets Rincewind's Luggage but not really! Lightsabers! Darth Vader outfits! Acorn-bombs!) into being spergy fuckstains.

Placenta_Souffle
Dec 30, 2010

finga lickin good
My lastest artwork:
Harry's Sacrifice
http://sabenerica.deviantart.com/art/Harry-s-Sacrifice-381788219

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Bravo! Brilliant job showing the lighting from the curse on Harry's robes, the fog, etc.

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!
So apparently Rowling has written a new book under a pseudonym and it's been out for a couple of months without anyone noticing. It has received very positive reviews so far. Good for her. I'm interested in reading it.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
For some reason the typo on that page is really bothering me.
Also, really, REALLY don't read the comments on that page. I mean I do know that goes for comment pages on news articles in general, but just trust me on this one :negative:

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
I just re-read all 7 over the past month or so. Actually read the 7th one for the first time. Dunno why I never did back in 07.

Anyhow, I was just perusing this thread and noticed someone on page 1 saying that they loved the big explanatory parts at the end of the books. This, however, is the part I hated the most. It just didn't feel natural. All of a sudden here comes a massive gob of information that tries to make sense of everything that had happened up to that point. It just always seemed so rushed and tacked-on.

I also feel Order of the Phoenix to be the worst book. I understand why Harry was a douche in it, but I thought the whole prophecy part was poorly contrived.

Book 7 was incredible. I loved the Deathly Hallows part of it and the introduction of the three brothers, Cadmus, Antioch, and Ignotus. It really gave a deeper complexion to the whole world, something that will most likely never be tapped into. And I'm still a little confused as to why Harry doesn't die. Also very shocked at everyone that did die in that book. Crazy.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Twat McTwatterson posted:

I just re-read all 7 over the past month or so. Actually read the 7th one for the first time. Dunno why I never did back in 07.

Anyhow, I was just perusing this thread and noticed someone on page 1 saying that they loved the big explanatory parts at the end of the books. This, however, is the part I hated the most. It just didn't feel natural. All of a sudden here comes a massive gob of information that tries to make sense of everything that had happened up to that point. It just always seemed so rushed and tacked-on.

I also feel Order of the Phoenix to be the worst book. I understand why Harry was a douche in it, but I thought the whole prophecy part was poorly contrived.

Book 7 was incredible. I loved the Deathly Hallows part of it and the introduction of the three brothers, Cadmus, Antioch, and Ignotus. It really gave a deeper complexion to the whole world, something that will most likely never be tapped into. And I'm still a little confused as to why Harry doesn't die. Also very shocked at everyone that did die in that book. Crazy.

Harry was tied to Voldemort not only by the horcrux, but also by blood from when Voldemort created a new body at the end of GoF (Dumbledore's brief look of triumph). Because of Lily's sacrifice and Harry's blood running through Voldemort's new body, this gave Harry a magical lifeline of sorts to choose to live.

I kinda agree about the exposition dumps, but given that the story was told in limited 3rd and only through Harry's POV with exception of a few chapters in the last two books, it was necessary to explain a few things without seriously altering the structure of the books.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I recently realized that the seven books correspond with the seven horcruxes: The stone is Philosopher's Stone. The diary is Chamber of Secrets. The necklace is Prisoner of Azkaban, sort of, since a major plot point involved Hermione's time turner necklace, and it introduces the Black family who ended up having the Slytherin necklace. The cup is Goblet of Fire. Nagini is Order of the Phoenix, in which Harry possesses Nagini. The diadem is Half-Blood Prince, sort of, since it involves a lot of backstory and planning, you know, nerd stuff. And Deathly Hallows is Harry.

Am I reaching here? Or conversely am I really late to the party?

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that's reaching alright.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

geeves posted:

Harry was tied to Voldemort not only by the horcrux, but also by blood from when Voldemort created a new body at the end of GoF (Dumbledore's brief look of triumph). Because of Lily's sacrifice and Harry's blood running through Voldemort's new body, this gave Harry a magical lifeline of sorts to choose to live.

I always thought that when Voldemort "killed" Harry at the end of Hallows, it was just his the part of his own soul he was killing instead. Lily's sacrifice had nothing to do with it that time.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Davros1 posted:

I always thought that when Voldemort "killed" Harry at the end of Hallows, it was just his the part of his own soul he was killing instead. Lily's sacrifice had nothing to do with it that time.

Voldemort destroyed his own soul by "killing" Harry. But, Lily's sacrifice had everything to do with it. It's stated in the following chapter.

You destroy the piece of soul by destroying the container in which it's kept (the horcrux). So, killing Harry under "normal" circumstances would have killed Harry and destroyed the fragment of Voldemort's soul. However, the magical blood bond between the two, tied Harry to Voldemort's life.

Edit: Then there was also the chance that the Elder wand recognized Harry and focused the curse on the non-Harry piece.... but who knows.

geeves fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 29, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The irony of the ending is that every single thing Voldemort tried to do to improve his chances made them worse.

He tried to kill Harry and in turn he created Harry, the one person who could really destroy him.
He used Harry's blood to create his new body and in doing so he tied Harry's life to his own, actually granting him an extra layer of protection even as he removed the "can't touch him" protection.
He hunted down the Elder Wand to defeat Harry's and in doing so actually ended up with a weaker wand.

Pretty much every single thing Voldemort does in the books ends up killing him. If he made even one other choice than Harry probably would have been hosed but so it goes.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

It's pretty interesting because it flips a classical narrative device on its head a bit. Where normally you create tension throughout the story by having the hero have to fix his/her own mistakes, here you have the villain doing so in the background. And, of course, he doesn't win in the end spoilers , so that's different as well.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Goddamn this is a nice new boxset and set of covers.

See all the covers bigger here: http://geekdad.com/2013/07/final-harry-potter-cover/

I'm kind of drooling over this boxset, but I wish the covers had been done for the UK versions of the books :sigh:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

Goddamn this is a nice new boxset and set of covers.

See all the covers bigger here: http://geekdad.com/2013/07/final-harry-potter-cover/

I'm kind of drooling over this boxset, but I wish the covers had been done for the UK versions of the books :sigh:

I'm only upset because Hagrid should much taller. But that's nitpicking. It really is a nice set. I've always like the idea of the adult minimal design covers.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh lest I forget, Bloomsbury also released some new "adult editions" covers (for the first three books so far):

I've seen these in a bookstore, and if you look in the inside-front cover you can see the full woodcut illustrations which are excellent.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

It always is hilarious to me the huge jump in book size from PoA to GoF.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

You'll notice about then is when the characters were old enough for her to write romance sub-plots. Coincidence?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

mastajake posted:

You'll notice about then is when the characters were old enough for her to write romance sub-plots. Coincidence?

I think the plots in the later books become more involved and fleshed out. Sure, the romance subplots also appear around the same time, but they really don't account for hundreds of pages. It could also have something to do with the fact that the series really only "blew up" around the time the third book was released, as far as I can remember. Her publisher might have been reluctant to let an unproven children's author write something longer than a few hundred pages, but by the time she was writing the fourth book, it's pretty obvious that it would sell well no matter what.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Does that edition still have Mary GrandPre's chapter illustrations? I love those covers and I don't know what I'd do if I had to choose between awesome cover art and awesome chapter art. :/

Seriously, though, those are great. I'm usually pretty skeptical of cover redesigns of popular works because those almost never turn out well. When I read "Goddamn this is a nice new boxset and set of covers" I rolled my eyes before I scrolled down because I was expecting complete poo poo. But drat if those aren't a huge improvement over the originals.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!

Oh goddamn. These are gorgeous.

If I had a bunch of extra cash laying around, I would totally double-dip and grab this set. It's beautiful.

I just started Chamber in my series re-read. This is the first time reading it since just before Goblet game out.
It was weird seeing all the things I've forgotten about, since my memory had basically been filled by what the movies cover.

MissConduct
Jun 20, 2008

Hardships are like training with lead weights...
When they come off, you go flying down the road!
I'm sorry if this has been posted but it's been a while since I've read this thread. I only just read this the other day and it's a good read. Post-Deathly Hallows interview compilation of Rowling's interviews. Beware of spoilers.

That box set looks awesome. I'm tempted even though I own the series in e-book and hard copy.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

There's actually some really good information in the latest Prisoner of Azkhaban chapters of Pottermore. The following about werewolves from Rowling is pretty cracktastic: "One curious feature of the condition is that if two werewolves meet and mate at the full moon (a highly unlikely contingency which is known to have occurred only twice) the result of the mating will be wolf cubs which resemble true wolves in everything except their abnormally high intelligence. They are not more aggressive than normal wolves and do not single out humans for attack. Such a litter was once set free, under conditions of extreme secrecy, in the Forbidden Forest at Hogwarts, with the kind permission of Albus Dumbledore. The cubs grew into beautiful and unusually intelligent wolves and some of them live there still, which has given rise to the stories about ‘werewolves’ in the Forest – stories none of the teachers, or the gamekeeper, has done much to dispel because keeping students out of the Forest is, in their view, highly desirable".

As if being a werewolf isn't rough enough, some poor werewolf woman gave birth to a litter of cubs? drat...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ashez2ashes posted:

There's actually some really good information in the latest Prisoner of Azkhaban chapters of Pottermore. The following about werewolves from Rowling is pretty cracktastic: "One curious feature of the condition is that if two werewolves meet and mate at the full moon (a highly unlikely contingency which is known to have occurred only twice) the result of the mating will be wolf cubs which resemble true wolves in everything except their abnormally high intelligence. They are not more aggressive than normal wolves and do not single out humans for attack. Such a litter was once set free, under conditions of extreme secrecy, in the Forbidden Forest at Hogwarts, with the kind permission of Albus Dumbledore. The cubs grew into beautiful and unusually intelligent wolves and some of them live there still, which has given rise to the stories about ‘werewolves’ in the Forest – stories none of the teachers, or the gamekeeper, has done much to dispel because keeping students out of the Forest is, in their view, highly desirable".

As if being a werewolf isn't rough enough, some poor werewolf woman gave birth to a litter of cubs? drat...

Was Lupin getting his freak on with another werewolf during his time at Hogwarts? Going through that once could explain why he was so scared of marrying Tonks and having a kid (I recall he was really freaked out that it would turn out to be a werewolf too).

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

PT6A posted:

Was Lupin getting his freak on with another werewolf during his time at Hogwarts? Going through that once could explain why he was so scared of marrying Tonks and having a kid (I recall he was really freaked out that it would turn out to be a werewolf too).

She doesn't mention who it actually was...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

ashez2ashes posted:

She doesn't mention who it actually was...

Hagrid was raising them, but JKR said that Riddle was lying to implicate Hagrid because Riddle was the biggest drama queen Hogwarts ever taught.

• Locked thread