Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
My joystick is sitting on a shelf looking at this gif, and I can hear it whispering "yes, please? Are you going to dust me off soon? It's been so long, I've been so lonely." :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Dread is measured in milli-Atillas, one thousand of which are required to intimidate one empire's worth of Romans.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

We need a new video of this game in action, we're way over due. Plus the more I see the game, the more I want it. :fap:

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
When is the Kickstarter so we can shower Kairo in an obscene amount of money?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
He just released some screenshots of the terrain generator which generates random missions, plus a palette for each mission. Also he added fog which helps judge distance.

faxmaster
Nov 1, 2004

I can see all of the colors.
This thing is looking better and better. I really love that minimalist HUD, it just meshes perfectly with the style of the game.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Mike Tipul posted:

Missed #screenshotsaturday but added the ability to zoom out one more level. http://inception.davepedu.com/

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Alehkhs posted:

[url=https://twitter.com/tipul/status/351800944238936066]

That looks pretty awesome, but why would you need to see the star map mid-mission?

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Sardonik posted:

That looks pretty awesome, but why would you need to see the star map mid-mission?

To select emergency jump coordinates?

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Sardonik posted:

Good question! I am iterating pretty heavily on what goes on outside the fighter phase and how you interact with each campaign map as a whole. Last week after the terrain generator first pass got implemented, I added the star map generator/feature, not just the zoom out, which I should have been more specific about.

More to come as I keep working on everything and feel comfortable sharing details. :)

This whole process is very much one part figuring out and implementing good gameplay systems to fulfill the starfighter/space viking/space crusader fantasy and one part http://i.imgur.com/mLOwBL5.jpg. If a gameplay system is not good enough (which is often the case), it gets iterated on until it is!

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

Kairo posted:

Good question! I am iterating pretty heavily on what goes on outside the fighter phase and how you interact with each campaign map as a whole. Last week after the terrain generator first pass got implemented, I added the star map generator/feature, not just the zoom out, which I should have been more specific about.

More to come as I keep working on everything and feel comfortable sharing details. :)

This whole process is very much one part figuring out and implementing good gameplay systems to fulfill the starfighter/space viking/space crusader fantasy and one part http://i.imgur.com/mLOwBL5.jpg. If a gameplay system is not good enough (which is often the case), it gets iterated on until it is!

The one thing that really stands out as bothersome here is the flash as it zooms from one level to another. I think it's a little jarring, especially to get in quick succession like that. Have you tried flashing with something other than white?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

It'd be nice if you could avoid flashing altogether. I'm guessing it's there to cover a lack of transition between the levels on the map?

Blurring the level you're leaving (or maybe pixelating?) could be nifty. Or some sort of picture within picture type deal.

e: By the way, release a paid alpha already you jerk. Take my money! :argh:

kedo fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 2, 2013

epmode
Feb 11, 2008

Good lord, this game bleeds style. I don't know why it's taken so long for someone to make another space game with Homeworld's aesthetics but I sure as hell approve.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Zizi posted:

The one thing that really stands out as bothersome here is the flash as it zooms from one level to another. I think it's a little jarring, especially to get in quick succession like that. Have you tried flashing with something other than white?

kedo posted:

I'm guessing it's there because there's to cover a lack of transition between the levels on the map?

Yeah it's to hide a transition when I cut cameras. I have tried black but it didn't convey enough of a state change. BUT black may work better when I do more work on the separate skyboxes (there is a solar system-level skybox and a galaxy-level skybox). Right now the game just keeps both of them overlaid when you go out to the starmap, but I hope to be able to drop the solar system when that happens.

Regardless, I will mess with it some more. Thanks for the feedback. :)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Alehkhs posted:

[the latest screenshot]
twitter broke most third party programs, including the thing I used to read tweets, so I pretty much no longer check twitter - thank you for posting this and hopefully going forward there are enough goons keeping an eye on t his so that the thread stays updated :D

I'm not so sure I mind the flashing from one level to the next: watching the .gif I'm at the very least undecided, and if it feels fine in-game then I doubt I'd have a problem withit.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Kairo posted:

Yeah it's to hide a transition when I cut cameras. I have tried black but it didn't convey enough of a state change. BUT black may work better when I do more work on the separate skyboxes (there is a solar system-level skybox and a galaxy-level skybox). Right now the game just keeps both of them overlaid when you go out to the starmap, but I hope to be able to drop the solar system when that happens.

Regardless, I will mess with it some more. Thanks for the feedback. :)

I don't know if your cockpit is a true model or a simple HUD, but if the former (which would open up all sorts of awesome possibilities) then you could have the camera pan down to a display with the map and then zoom into it. If the latter, then you could have the target display change to the map and zoom into it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Kairo, are you planning any kind of light strategy type thing with that star map? I can't help but envision fleet movements, trying to figure out which one I wanna raid next, how it will affect my fleet, etc.

Whatever it is, looks wonderful and tantalizing.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Derek Dominoe posted:

I don't know if your cockpit is a true model or a simple HUD, but if the former (which would open up all sorts of awesome possibilities) then you could have the camera pan down to a display with the map and then zoom into it. If the latter, then you could have the target display change to the map and zoom into it.

Hmm... I could probably put a rendertarget of one or more of the maps on the dash somewhere. I'll have to look into it, but my first thought is that it would mainly be for flavor, and keep the full screen mode as default. Neat idea!

doctorfrog posted:

Kairo, are you planning any kind of light strategy type thing with that star map? I can't help but envision fleet movements, trying to figure out which one I wanna raid next, how it will affect my fleet, etc.

This is exactly what I am exploring right now. Like, do you have to go scout systems and use their jump gates to figure out exactly what they have, like uncovering new rooms in a NetHack level? Do enemy fleets live on the star map and respond when you start raiding a different system, with their response time varying based on how many jumps away they are? Can you shut down a gate to delay their response? Can I code something simply and have it be intuitive to the player? All unknowns. :)

I'm basically TRYING an EVE-style framework here and seeing what I can do with it. I've learned a lot of what sounds fun to talk about doesn't always transfer over to implementation, so I'm not making any promises with any of this stuff! But the game needs something to tie together all the combat sections and this is my current bet.

Indie dev is fun because I can try all sorts of stuff really quickly, but it also sucks because the only way I can really bounce ideas off people is to post something on the internet, and people may get impressions that the game is something that I'm only trying out. Catch-22! You guys are helpful however.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Kairo posted:

Hmm... I could probably put a rendertarget of one or more of the maps on the dash somewhere. I'll have to look into it, but my first thought is that it would mainly be for flavor, and keep the full screen mode as default. Neat idea!

You could always just use it as a transition into fullscreen and ditch the white flash.

quote:

This is exactly what I am exploring right now. Like, do you have to go scout systems and use their jump gates to figure out exactly what they have, like uncovering new rooms in a NetHack level? Do enemy fleets live on the star map and respond when you start raiding a different system, with their response time varying based on how many jumps away they are? Can you shut down a gate to delay their response? Can I code something simply and have it be intuitive to the player? All unknowns. :)

I'm basically TRYING an EVE-style framework here and seeing what I can do with it. I've learned a lot of what sounds fun to talk about doesn't always transfer over to implementation, so I'm not making any promises with any of this stuff! But the game needs something to tie together all the combat sections and this is my current bet.

Indie dev is fun because I can try all sorts of stuff really quickly, but it also sucks because the only way I can really bounce ideas off people is to post something on the internet, and people may get impressions that the game is something that I'm only trying out. Catch-22! You guys are helpful however.

Please take all the time you need to achieve your vision! I know I'll be looking for your Kickstarter whenever it happens. Anything that seems a bit out of reach this time around can always be implemented in the sequel!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Kairo posted:

:allears: I've always felt that scouting was underrepresented in space games.

Like the man says, take your time. (And don't freak out!)

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

Every single clip of this game looks better than the last. Is there any way to support this yet? Merch, donation, anything?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

MarsellusWallace posted:

Every single clip of this game looks better than the last. Is there any way to support this yet? Merch, donation, anything?
Nope.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

They should sell posters of that cover. :allears:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They should sell posters of that cover. :allears:

I'd buy at least three. So goddamned good.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The scenario generator now generates rough points of interest plus random civilian ships which you can "terrify"

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The scenario generator now generates rough points of interest plus random civilian ships which you can "terrify"

Diggin' the asteroids in that gif. Diggin' terrifying civilians. :black101:

Question – is there any sort of mechanic for moving a battle to another point in space? For example, it'd be cool to be able to jump in on a much larger fleet, harass it a bit to get its attention, then jump out into an asteroid field where the odds might be more in your favor.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

TychoCelchuuu posted:

There are no civilians, there are just those unwise enough to go unarmed. :black101:

Continues looking great, though. Homeworld and Flotilla had a baby!

e: for gently caress's sake, same emoticon even.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

New stuff got posted

Hopefully it comes out this year

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Bolow posted:

New stuff got posted

Hopefully it comes out this year

drat, it is just so pretty.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ooo we got lasers now. Previously all I saw being shot was bullet like tracers.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm about 80% sure that the fuel readout is just a meaningless placeholder, but it's so drat cool looking.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

doctorfrog posted:

I'm about 80% sure that the fuel readout is just a meaningless placeholder, but it's so drat cool looking.

Haha, you're right, it is placeholder. It was my first test for my animated texture script and I haven't gotten around to changing it. I will this week though, as making the new player fighter and redoing the cockpit is my #1 work item.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ooo we got lasers now. Previously all I saw being shot was bullet like tracers.

Yeah I have pew pew lasers now. My trail renderer got improved, which allows me to do better stuff like this. Also, missiles will leave their trails hanging in space when the projectile detonates, instead of just winking out. Totally subtle and probably a waste of my time but whatever, all that little stuff adds up. :)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Nah, missile trails are the best. BTW in addition to single missiles is there a chance for micromissiles/multimissiles? Some MacrossMissileMassacre/ItanoCircus action would be awesome.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

When are you going to let us drown you in money through a kickstarter, payed early access, selling that poster, or whatever?

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Nah, missile trails are the best. BTW in addition to single missiles is there a chance for micromissiles/multimissiles? Some MacrossMissileMassacre/ItanoCircus action would be awesome.

I want to do more with them, now that I can make them prettier. Missiles that spawn missiles before impact, etc. Yo dawg, I heard you like missiles...

All the trails are now part of a single mesh that gets built every frame instead of a mesh per trail, so that means they only count as one draw call for the whole scene. The only expensive part now is building the mesh, but the profiler is telling me it only costs about 20% of what it did before.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Dr.Oblivious posted:

When are you going to let us drown you in money through a kickstarter, payed early access, selling that poster, or whatever?

I'm still iterating on battles, but I'm getting closer. I feel like once I start accepting money for it, changing core stuff may (rightly) piss people off, so I haven't gone that route yet. The whole concept has such large amount of interesting problems to solve, so I just keep my head down and work on it instead of handling the logistics of kickstarter/paid alpha, etc. Your interest is MUCH APPRECIATED though!

I will look into a site that will print posters and send them to people. I don't know if you guys have any recommendations, but I'd check them out if you did.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

You have any plans for beam weapons like the Ion Cannons from Homeworld or Freespace 2?

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Bolow posted:

You have any plans for beam weapons like the Ion Cannons from Homeworld or Freespace 2?

Yes, that frigate in the background behind the destroyer is specifically a beam ship like that:

I just need to write some special case code for my projectiles to handle sustained beams. I prototyped it long ago, so it shouldn't be too bad bringing it forward.

Bomb-omb Texting
Sep 24, 2009
Holy poo poo, this game looks so amazing. I have been waiting "new" Freespace for ages, and I really love the Homeworld art-style. Is there a hi-res of that poster somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I just now noticed this from the new gifs, but what happened to the gunsights?

• Locked thread