Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TwoPair posted:

Believe him, we're the only ones who care. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjmEeJiBlhw&t=204s

That was gutwrenching and the dude's acting was always amazing. May he rest in peace.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Batman Beyond had a really high deathcount for a kid's show.

I think Terry kinda killed a guy in the first episode.
To say nothing of Earthmover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
One thing that always bothered me about Batman Beyond was that I could never pin down exactly how much their cars could fly. Obviously the batmobile could fly just fine but sometimes you see a bunch of cars all flying though the city, star wars style and then sometimes they were just like hover cars and then occasionally they'd just be normal with wheels cars.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

SlothfulCobra posted:

Ask one of your friends who grew up in the UK about Animals of Farthing Wood.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

One thing that always bothered me about Batman Beyond was that I could never pin down exactly how much their cars could fly. Obviously the batmobile could fly just fine but sometimes you see a bunch of cars all flying though the city, star wars style and then sometimes they were just like hover cars and then occasionally they'd just be normal with wheels cars.

Maybe you just need different licenses for each kinda car and some people can drive just fine but can't earn a pilot's license?

Nilbop posted:

Ask one of your friends who grew up in the UK about Animals of Farthing Wood.

Tee hee, farting wood. :D

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I really liked the New Episode of Bewere the Batman. Tatsu is quite entertaining.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

One thing that always bothered me about Batman Beyond was that I could never pin down exactly how much their cars could fly.
Some Wayne-Powers types can afford the Gallardo Maybach R8 style ultracars that are essentially mini jets.

Meanwhile, the McGuiness family is plunking around on C-Trans busses, or in the family Kia Hummingbird hoverwagon.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Some Wayne-Powers types can afford the Gallardo Maybach R8 style ultracars that are essentially mini jets.

Meanwhile, the McGuiness family is plunking around on C-Trans busses, or in the family Kia Hummingbird hoverwagon.

Yeah, I always figured it was tiered. The Batmobile is the tippy-top, better than all but the best military prototype kind of model, rich folk can have full aircars, your average middle-class family has hoverminivans and old-school wheeled cars are for Joe Punchclock.

Also, that leads to one of my favourite moments, when Starro-controlled Superman is chasing Batman and he has to ask "Mr Wayne, what's the top speed of this thing?" "Just north of Mach 3" "Is that faster than a speeding bullet?"

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

My favorite part of that was Superman flying like he was standing up. gently caress air friction.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Arctic Baldwin posted:

My favorite part of that was Superman flying like he was standing up. gently caress air friction.

I think there's a Jerry Seinfeld bit where he wonders if Superman could just float around while he's posed like he's sitting in a chair but just does the arms out pose to look cool. I'm glad that episode answered it for me.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Am I allowed to enjoy the Ultimate Deadpool episode of Ultimate Spider-Man? It was drat funny.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

MonsterEnvy posted:

I really liked the New Episode of Bewere the Batman. Tatsu is quite entertaining.

It's weird Batman takes issue with her killing people when he killed like three dudes on the bridge and dropped Anarchy to what I'm sure he thought would be his death.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Hazo posted:

I'm curious, whom didn't you like? I thought the voices were a huge selling point, and bringing back most of the original JL cast was a brilliant decision on their part. Hell, recently they released downloadable content featuring Carl Lumbly as Martian Manhunter and Phil Lamarr as an alternate John Stewart skin for the Green Lantern character.
Personally, I never liked the idea that if Superman were to kill, he'd go to the extreme and become Tyrant Superman. It was one of those unreasonable justifications for why Superman refuses to ever kill.

Also, like I said before, the ending to his Battle Mode storyline was insulting both to the character and perhaps the audience as well. He gives his teammates a killswitch in case he himself goes evil - this is the sort of thing that mentally ill patients ask their carers to do. Why none of the other Leaguers whose counterparts went evil did the same also bothers me.

Shazam went evil even though he has the Wisdom of Solomon. In theory he's supposed to be wiser than the rest of them when transformed, but recent incarnations of the character always depict him as a kid at heart, like in the movie Big.

Green Lantern defects to Sinestro for no good reason. Then he pussies out and hands over his yellow ring as soon as he sees Tyrant Superman defeated. Not what the fearless, strong-willed Hal would do.

Then there is a lot of fanwanking over Batman. I ditched Batman as my favorite superhero years ago because of stupid poo poo like this. He's too inflated.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baron Bifford posted:

Green Lantern defects to Sinestro for no good reason. Then he pussies out and hands over his yellow ring as soon as he sees Tyrant Superman defeated. Not what the fearless, strong-willed Hal would do.

To be fair, that was the point. Though if Hal would have gone over to Sinestro in the first place is another question.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think Terry kinda killed a guy in the first episode.
In the Fantastic Four episode he throws a jetpack guy into a billboard at full speed and kills the Terrific Trio.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Nilbop posted:

The problem was Timm/Dini's version of what a "kid" was, was always extremely dated. I mean drat Terry was pretty much a superhero greaser.
What is a 2040 kid supposed to be like?

Die Laughing posted:

Am I allowed to enjoy the Ultimate Deadpool episode of Ultimate Spider-Man? It was drat funny.
It was a nice adaptation, though I wish they hadn't hired Perez Hilton to do the voice work.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 4, 2013

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Baron Bifford posted:

What is a 2040 kid supposed to be like?

Tall. Gangly, oddly skinny. Sort of like this guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_2040

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Looper was set in the 2040s and everyone there looks like a greaser. They even give a reason for it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Endless Mike posted:

Looper was set in the 2040s and everyone there looks like a greaser. They even give a reason for it.

Yeah and the guys in the 2070's looked like Amish.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Baron Bifford posted:

Personally, I never liked the idea that if Superman were to kill, he'd go to the extreme and become Tyrant Superman. It was one of those unreasonable justifications for why Superman refuses to ever kill.

It's only extreme because years are skipped over and it seems instantaneous. Right now the comic is on issue #29 and he's still yet to be anything close to how bad he is in the game. The gears are turning, but he's still a gradual work in progress.

quote:

Shazam went evil even though he has the Wisdom of Solomon. In theory he's supposed to be wiser than the rest of them when transformed, but recent incarnations of the character always depict him as a kid at heart, like in the movie Big.

Shazam's been given one spotlight issue so far in the comic where Billy goes around interviewing people about how they feel now that the Justice League has become more proactive. In the end, he interviews his Shazam personality, who sides with Superman and Wonder Woman as he feels they're bringing peace (and to be fair, if the Wisdom of Zehuti would push someone in this direction, why not Solomon?). While Billy isn't so sure what's right and wrong about the situation, he does know that he is being emotionally and morally affected by his recent experiences.

quote:

Green Lantern actually redefects after Sinestro is taken down. It really comes down to the real reason everyone followed Superman's lead: he's Superman. He's an inspiring leader.

Lately the comic's been taking an interesting turn in that it's become a more intriguing version of Civil War... albeit hurt by us knowing who wins. In Civil War, it was really about sensibility vs. what's right, which is why it didn't work. Other than having a point about what needed doing (ignoring how extreme it went), Iron Man was given every other reason to root against him. He was the government. He had the superior manpower. He's a jerk. Captain America is the most trustworthy hero out there.

So what happens when you mix it up? Superman has the superior manpower, the logic and the trustworthiness. Batman's in the right, but he's still a colossal Tony Stark-level rear end in a top hat who won't trust anyone and can't be trusted. There's a telling moment where he has his own little cabal of rebel heroes and narrows his eyes at Huntress when she angrily calls him "Bruce". She becomes aghast at the realization that Batman's called them to help him stop Superman from "making the world a better place" and not only won't explain why it needs to be stopped, but he hasn't even confided in most of them his secret identity.

Of all the JL members, Hal's been given the least amount of panel time in the series, so they haven't fully gotten into his mindset, but at this point he's still a Green Lantern. I'm sure when they get to it, it'll be based on feeling that he needs to follow Superman's lead.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Remind me about what shady, morally dubious acts Batman did in Injustice.

TwoPair posted:

I think there's a Jerry Seinfeld bit where he wonders if Superman could just float around while he's posed like he's sitting in a chair but just does the arms out pose to look cool. I'm glad that episode answered it for me.
The Superman live-action TV show once had him pretend to drive an invisible car (he was trolling some gangsters trying to make a getaway).

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 4, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Baron Bifford posted:

Remind me about what shady, morally dubious acts Batman did in Injustice.

Mainly the kidnapping of Hawkgirl and making MMH take her form to be an spy on Superman's group. Oh and bringing down the Watchtower as last resort to keep Superman of revealing Batman's secret identity.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
This was in the comic book? I need to read more of it, it's better than the game's story.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Baron Bifford posted:

This was in the comic book? I need to read more of it, it's better than the game's story.

Yes, is from the latest issues. Last one actually reveals what happened to MMH and why he doesn't shows on the game's story.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Baron Bifford posted:

No, no you don't. http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/02/07/injustice-gods-among-us-and-the-fridging-of-lois-spoilers/

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

However, that gave us a wonderful scene between Superman and MMH. My advice is to track down the physical issues (since they fix some of the art problems that hurts the digital versions) and then continue with digital and form your own opinion on the series.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Injustice started really badly, and it's not exactly groundbreaking now, but anything that gives me Superman tweeting Batman's secret identity is okay in my book.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Batman's parents existed only to die and motivate the story so they were friged. Actually the name for it should be "Shot in a dark alley."

Injustice is a decent book with laughably bad art, it's nice to have a fairly slow burn from Superman goes crazy to goes murderous. He bumped off the Joker and then just took his protect everybody idea to the extreme and is devolving from there.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 4, 2013

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
You'd have to be wilfully stupid to ignore the other, much more important, criteria that spurred creation of the 'women in refrigerators' term.

The actual Injustice game's story is fairly solid. It's well-tread territory what with Morrison and McDuffie already writing better versions of the same idea, but it has some pretty spectacular moments that seem to exist just to dissuade people's perception of Netherrealm engaging solely in pointless, brutal, childish cynicism.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Which was something established in the game's story. Tom Taylor didn't really have much of a choice in terms of tapdancing around it.

Yeah, the first couple issues are rough because of what happens with Lois, but it gets better as it goes on. Occasional rough art aside.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Yes, is from the latest issues. Last one actually reveals what happened to MMH and why he doesn't shows on the game's story.

J'onn was just released as DLC for the game and his ending reveals where he's been all of this time. It actually fits in well with the end of that last issue.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Dan Didio posted:

You'd have to be wilfully stupid to ignore the other, much more important, criteria that spurred creation of the 'women in refrigerators' term.

Everybody else does so why not? Fridging has become a "kill anything with XX chromosomes" buzzword at this point reducing any actual impact it once had.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's not the term being used too much, it just so happens that the vast majority of female deaths in comics is pointless and for backstory/motivation and so it fits.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 4, 2013

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

SirDan3k posted:

Everybody else does so why not?

Well, I can't find any fault with this stellar line of reasoning.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I honestly can't come up with a female death that wasn't a fridging off the top of my head.

Maybe Terra in the Teen Titans cartoon

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Sockser posted:

I honestly can't come up with a female death that wasn't a fridging off the top of my head.

Maybe Terra in the Teen Titans cartoon

Tomorrow Woman. Or does it not count if she's a talking refrigerator?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

WickedHate posted:

It's not the term being used too much, it just so happens that the vast majority of female deaths in comics is pointless and for backstory/motivation and so it fits.

The vast majority of deaths in comics are pointless and only exist for backstory/motivation though. Fridging used to mean a female character created for the purpose of killing them off like Kyle's girlfriend, expanding it beyond that has made it ubiquitous.

Bordering on derail so I'll just agree that everyone who disagrees with me is wrong as usual :smug:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SirDan3k posted:

The vast majority of deaths in comics are pointless and only exist for backstory/motivation though. Fridging used to mean a female character created for the purpose of killing them off like Kyle's girlfriend, expanding it beyond that has made it ubiquitous.

Just going by the wiki entry this doesn't seem true, plus that would be a rather arbitrary place draw the line really. There is effectively no difference between a character created to be killed for motivation and a character that already existed being used in the same way. Though I guess the second one would be considered worse as they would most likely have a more built up fanbase.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

SirDan3k posted:

Bordering on derail so I'll just agree that everyone who disagrees with me is wrong as usual :smug:

You're really oversimplifying the concept of a fridging.

Male characters die for backstory/motivation all the time, sure, but it's usually in some heroic sacrifice or at least it's loving drawn.

As opposed to just, oh, dead body in the fridge.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

Just going by the wiki entry this doesn't seem true, plus that would be a rather arbitrary place draw the line really. There is effectively no difference between a character created to be killed for motivation and a character that already existed being used in the same way. Though I guess the second one would be considered worse as they would most likely have a more built up fanbase.

It's not as limited as you'd think but was limited enough that you couldn't run a blog on them. The first is worse because they aren't created for any other reason and are generally female only due to the societal expectation that females are to be protected and not doing so is a failure on the hero's part. At least an established character was an attempt at creating a lasting female presence in a male dominated medium.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SirDan3k posted:

It's not as limited as you'd think but was limited enough that you couldn't run a blog on them. The first is worse because they aren't created for any other reason and are generally female only due to the societal expectation that females are to be protected and not doing so is a failure on the hero's part. At least an established character was an attempt at creating a lasting female presence in a male dominated medium.

See that still reads as the second being worse. The first one seems hardly worth caring about.

Edit: Here is a quote from 99 that seems to back me up "if you demolish most of the characters girls like, then girls won't read comics. That's it!" Its from wiki, but its sourced at least.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

See that still reads as the second being worse. The first one seems hardly worth caring about.

Edit: Here is a quote from 99 that seems to back me up "if you demolish most of the characters girls like, then girls won't read comics. That's it!" Its from wiki, but its sourced at least.

The killing an established character is shortsighted stupidity with a hint of misogyny but creating one specifically female so when you kill them it's easier to garner sympathy is blatant misogyny.

• Locked thread