Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pufflekins posted:

sick meme bro

memes own reddit owns qtiyd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

good guy air force scheduled a wingman day of fun team sports just when i needed it

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

DrCuntmuffins posted:

Occasionally they lose 6 of them in one attack to a bunch of unorganized farmers in the worlds poorest nation
http://www.examiner.com/article/attack-destroyed-six-marine-av-8b-harrier-jets-afghanistan

Well they were on the ground, that hardly seems fair at all to the planes.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Only the following planes are permitted:
B52
F22
A10

B52s will be converted to carry 500 A-A missiles in their bays for air superiority missions :colbert:

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Bolow posted:

There's no reason for Marines to have fixed wing poo poo beyond C-130's anyway. Do harriers even do anything besides crash and gently caress up every mission given to them?

Apparently not, so the F-35 should be a perfect replacement for it. That thing's gonna make the Osprey look like a Toyota.

Was it the F-35 or the F-22 that kept suffocating its pilots? I forget.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Only the following planes are permitted:
B52
F22
A10

B52s will be converted to carry 500 A-A missiles in their bays for air superiority missions :colbert:

Wasn't this an idea at one point? Just stuffing a few bombers in a formation with missiles?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
How about just going back to nuke tipped air to air missiles?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Veins McGee posted:

The Air Force should fire up the production lines for the B-52 and crank out another two hundred. Now they don't need a new bomber because the F-22s will sweep the enemy from the sky, right?

If we had enough F-22s, that actually might not have been a terrible option.

Can-O-Raid posted:

F-22. :)

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

the F-22 is an American Hero

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

:fsmug:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3493762

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Time used to be really good when Newsweek was around to compete, but Newsweek started turning to dreck trying to chase ad dollars around the turn of the century. Time hasn't fared much better, barely beating Ladies' Home Journal and not even getting half the sales of journalist bastion Game Informer. When you print dreck, no one buys your mag, quel surprise.

Wonder what non-airport sales for those international editions are like.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

shyduck posted:

the F-22 is an American Hero

LFest aircraft

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho

Rude. posted:

LFest aircraft

the f-22 is an unlikable unemployed whiny 20 something keyboard revolutionary with a poo poo ton of student debt?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
its LO because you try as hard as you can to pretend they don't exist

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

To be fair, the articles were still in those issues. They just weren't on the cover.

Still pretty inexcusable.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

gleep gloop posted:

Wasn't this an idea at one point? Just stuffing a few bombers in a formation with missiles?

I think it was using the B-1 as a giant F-14, but yes.

e: best I could find was this:

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?107277-B-1-Bomber-with-AAMs-%28Missile-Mothership%29-Rand-concept

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 5, 2013

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

Apparently that was an ANA/ANP attached to a SOF team and he got his AK shot by the guy who's house they were raiding. He reacted by running away (not like you can do much else when your only weapon system is disabled) and was shot in the back and killed.

Aside from that, the video is a pretty sweet first person view of room clearing in Afghanistan, gotta be pretty old since the cameraman is using a PEQ-2 laser from what I remember.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Heres the full vid if you are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUmpl4JnDdA

iceslice
May 20, 2005

BaconAndBullets posted:

Apparently that was an ANA/ANP attached to a SOF team and he got his AK shot by the guy who's house they were raiding. He reacted by running away (not like you can do much else when your only weapon system is disabled) and was shot in the back and killed.

Aside from that, the video is a pretty sweet first person view of room clearing in Afghanistan, gotta be pretty old since the cameraman is using a PEQ-2 laser from what I remember.

He also has what looks like an old M68 optic. There are a lot of really badass parts of that video. He stacks right up on top of that ANA guy and drives him into the room. His aggression level straight to 10 when he starts chasing his threat and then back to a 1 when he identifies no threats in the room. I don't know about you, but being able to recognize someone isn't being defiant but instead just doesn't understand English, and then switching to pointy-talky immediately after being shot at, all while giving a sitrep is pretty badass.

iceslice fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 5, 2013

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011
The one thing I gotta say is he has a lot of balls to run to the far side of the threat door unless somehow he knew nobody was there. Looked like it led outside but I'd be nervous as gently caress that the threat would have a buddy over there debating about fighting or squirting. All in all good performance, I think the ANA/ANP soldiers just hesitated on engaging the target and that caused problems.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Looks like that door goes out the other side, and I'm assuming they know what they're doing enough to have a team providing overwatch to makes sure no one gets in or out.

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, sure, sure. I know you. You're gonna keep on saying I'm suave and sophisticated, and then when I start to believe it, then you're gonna say how pointy head I have, and how floppy arms I have, and how dull I am, I know you.

BaconAndBullets posted:

From what I've been told, they prefer PEQ-2's over PEQ-16's because they're more reliable. Which from my standpoint is definately true because my guys would break their PEQ-16's all the time because them shits aren't durable (or FA guys are loving idiots).

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

DrCuntmuffins posted:

Occasionally they lose 6 of them in one attack to a bunch of unorganized farmers in the worlds poorest nation
http://www.examiner.com/article/attack-destroyed-six-marine-av-8b-harrier-jets-afghanistan

Sounds like something from WWII.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Range_Desert_Group

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Can-O-Raid posted:

Apparently not, so the F-35 should be a perfect replacement for it. That thing's gonna make the Osprey look like a Toyota.

F-22 Stranglehawk.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
We call auto erotic asphyxiation a 'F you 22' now.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
F-22 Carradine

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
I have wondered about the effectiveness of the F-22. Obviously it is the most advanced fighter in the world and very expensive but you hear about these scenarios where a single F-22 has death blossomed 100 F-16's in an engagement.
Is the F-22 the grim reaper of the skies or are the scenarios setup to give itself an advantage?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I think the main advantage is the incomparable BVR performance.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah, it's really hard to fight back when your opponent has already murdered your multiple times before you even knew he was there.

Don't worry though, I'm sure the retarded infosec folks at various contractors have already helped China/etc figure out how to beat it.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

How much of that is the airframe and how much is the sensors? Could you fit an F15 with the same sensors and be as awesome?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Ron Jeremy posted:

How much of that is the airframe and how much is the sensors? Could you fit an F15 with the same sensors and be as awesome?

Not really. The airframe is a huge part of it, and a modern F-15's sensors are good enough. The Raptor has a good combination: the ability to detect and lock on at relatively long range, and doing it relatively unseen (an F-22 can be detected. The F-15 has the first part as well, but not so much the second. The key about low observability is that it doesn't mean you're invisible. You can detect an F-22 on radar...but it's almost always going to be too late. Either he's already fired an AMRAAM and it's probably in the loving terminal phase of flight, or he's within "HOLY poo poo WHAT IS THAT?!?" range.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ron Jeremy posted:

It helps to not be dead when your AMRAAM hits.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Also the Raptor's kinematic performance is light years beyond the Eagle's (or anything else out there, honestly). The Raptor can maneuver at 50,000+ ft while supercruising.

Think about that for a second...just being able to do one of those things is pretty impressive in and of itself, but doing all three at the same time opens all kinds of doors, not the least of which is expanding your engagement zone for weapons. You throw that in with LO and capable avionics and you've got the incomparable BVR performance that evil bunny was talking about.

We're kind of doing the "upgraded sensors on a F-15" thing with putting the V3 AESA radars on the remaining F-15Cs that are going to stumble along for another 20 years to backstop the limited F-22 fleet, but there's a reason that was our cobbled together plan B after buying enough Raptors to meet our requirements didn't happen.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Does a viepilot terrorist threat on Lowtax count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZODtmaHIQng

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
A bunch of pics restored and colorized from WWII.

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho
nice to know pilots have a deep rooted history of looking like smug douchebags

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
"Drunk me made my lunch last night, I like his style." is the gallery I got

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005