Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011

rookhunter posted:

Been working on that one since I'm 4 hours away from Santa Fe. I'm surprised this board hasn't jumped on that one. With 1+ million i'd hire a GPR crew, find Preiss' casks and commission a new Secret. Maybe use Borris Vallejo instead of Palencar.

There's a blog out there by some guy that really seemed to be almost to it. Fenn said somebody was really close, within eyesight, and just didn't see it, and this one guy's blog (I'll see if I can find it) matched every drat clue, trekked out to the middle of nowhere, met with Fenn, had a TV crew following him... and gave up after a few hours and went home.

Edit: Ok, so I was a bit optimistic. He's made 33 trips searching for the treasure, although the one documented further down on this page looks the most promising. Particularly the big "F" blaze at the end of following the clues.

Very Nice Eraser fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 30, 2013

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010

Spaceman Future! posted:

Pretty sure this is battery park. Good view of lady liberty there, which I'm pretty sure is supposed to be the woman in the picture. Native american museum is right next door, there's your Indes natives, "Hard word in 3 Vols." would be the FDR that starts right there. In the summer there are helicopter tours that take off not too far from there, there's your whirring sound in summer. You would have been looking at the twin towers dead on, so you only would have seen one tower. The water swells definitely remind me of the chop from the south ferry, and if you look north you will see a round green island, bowling green, the island of B (Also in the middle of broadway! So many Bs!), also, check out the bird in the picture. Now check this statue in battery park:

Still stuck on the narrow path (at first I thought Path train, but its north of there by far enough that it should be counted out) and rhapsodic man's soil, ill drop by there this week to see if anything rattles.

Edit: Ah, yeah, ok from the middle of one branch of the V, the Battery park underpass and the hugh carry tunnel pass right under battery park and intersect in a v, Im pretty sure now, im going to go see if anything rings bells for rhapsodic mans soil or the Russian looking buildings. I know for a fact that there isn't anything shaped like that down there, but maybe a mural or something. Ill check it out.

How did you figure that "Hard word in 3 Vols." was the FDR?
People have been thinking that the Rhapsodic Man refers to George Gershwin, since he was Russian. The Russian church image might be three seperate building spires, someone already mentioned the Ellis Island Immigration Museum.

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I'm working on solving this one with a $10,269.01 prize:
http://www.grandpathrifty.com/HOME.html

That one is cute, my kids would like it. thanks for the link.

Very Nice Eraser posted:

There's a blog out there by some guy that really seemed to be almost to it. Fenn said somebody was really close, within eyesight, and just didn't see it, and this one guy's blog (I'll see if I can find it) matched every drat clue, trekked out to the middle of nowhere, met with Fenn, had a TV crew following him... and gave up after a few hours and went home.

Edit: Ok, so I was a bit optimistic. He's made 33 trips searching for the treasure, although the one documented further down on this page looks the most promising. Particularly the big "F" blaze at the end of following the clues.

Ah yes I've seen that blog. I think someone will find it this year. Cant wait to see the gold.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
I'm now 1/3 of the way through this thread, compiling all the information I can for Houston for the wiki. It's amazing how many pages don't have anything, while others have large chunks.

I wish I had thought about it earlier, but I'm thinking it might be a good idea to catalog what searches are mentioned on each page. That way, if someone wanted to see all the discussion about a particular cask/city/verse they could see that Milwaukee was mentioned on pages 23, 24, 25, 38, 42, 45-50, .....

I think that could be useful, but compiling it? Christ. I'm thinking a spreadsheet might be best.

stabbity
Sep 28, 2004

crashdome posted:

I'm planning on setting up the Cask 10 one. I mentioned earlier I would. It was the weekend and well, kids etc.. This week I will definitely start it.

I compiled all the Milwaukee stuff from this thread up until the past few pages of updates for a non-forum using friend. I have it in a word doc in a zip file on my dropbox. PM me and I'll give you access to it if you want - could save a bunch of time for compiling all the clues you guys have figured out so far.

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I'm working on solving this one with a $10,269.01 prize:
http://www.grandpathrifty.com/HOME.html

I just bought the ebook and it's pretty cute. Unlike The Secret, there's not really a part where it goes "OK, clues start now". Instead it just relates a few fun stories about a squirrel's grandpa, and at the end suddenly goes "Well, now you have all the info you need to find the treasure!" Some parts of unusual specificity jump out as clues, like the mention that a certain book flew open to a certain page, but nothing like The Secret. I also like that it's written in a way that kids and parents can work on it together.

(Great, another treasure hunt to consume my time and invade my dreams!)

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 23, 2016

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Orunitier posted:

How did you figure that "Hard word in 3 Vols." was the FDR?
People have been thinking that the Rhapsodic Man refers to George Gershwin, since he was Russian. The Russian church image might be three seperate building spires, someone already mentioned the Ellis Island Immigration Museum.

Those spires don't fit. If we stretched the clue that far I could name held a hundred buildings with the same ornamentals as the Ellis island museum. Im mainly looking at a geographic location that fits a majority of the clues (the statue of liberty and a head on north or south view of the twin towers, plus the abundance of water), it would really have to be in-between these landmarks since you are "In the shadow" of the tower, I dont think you literally have to be where the shadow would have been cast (that would mean you're east or west of it, in which case it wouldn't line up with there only being a single of the 2 towers depicted) but close to it, which since you would have a view of the statue of liberty puts you in the financial district. The buildings down there are pretty tall, to have an unobstructed view of both and the statue you would have to be on the southernmost tip of the island. I took hard word to depict the new yorker accent, and 3 vols to be a breakdown of a landmark that a local would abbreviate. If you look at the south side of the island you have the battery park underpass, the hudson river parkway, broadway, the exchange, etc but none of those get shortened, at least not regularly to 3 initials, other than the FDR, which also happens to end right there at battery park smack dab between the old WTC site and the statue of liberty next to the native american museum.

The spires are bugging me though. The closest I know of to that would be the St. Nicholas Cathedral, which is way up on the upper east side. The bird of course also looks like it could also be from the Chrysler building, which would spread the clues across over 100 blocks, which I doubt the riddle would do. The things that first jump out at me are well too far apart to fit properly.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I'm totally sold on Ellis Island.

Guuse
May 11, 2009
Is it possible to pick out anything on Ellis from Battery Park, or is the distance just too great? Are there those binocular/viewing devices set up along the shore there, maybe? If it wasn't for the posting earlier that the area around the the Railway/Ferry Terminal in Liberty State Park was a toxic hell-hole when the book was written I'd be a lot higher on that location.

On the other hand, I think someone earlier in the thread mentioned that the Indian Museum near Battery Park wasn't in operation when the book was written.

Fake Green Dress
Jan 31, 2007

Spaceman Future! posted:

Those spires don't fit. If we stretched the clue that far I could name held a hundred buildings with the same ornamentals as the Ellis island museum. Im mainly looking at a geographic location that fits a majority of the clues (the statue of liberty and a head on north or south view of the twin towers, plus the abundance of water), it would really have to be in-between these landmarks since you are "In the shadow" of the tower, I dont think you literally have to be where the shadow would have been cast (that would mean you're east or west of it, in which case it wouldn't line up with there only being a single of the 2 towers depicted) but close to it, which since you would have a view of the statue of liberty puts you in the financial district. The buildings down there are pretty tall, to have an unobstructed view of both and the statue you would have to be on the southernmost tip of the island. I took hard word to depict the new yorker accent, and 3 vols to be a breakdown of a landmark that a local would abbreviate. If you look at the south side of the island you have the battery park underpass, the hudson river parkway, broadway, the exchange, etc but none of those get shortened, at least not regularly to 3 initials, other than the FDR, which also happens to end right there at battery park smack dab between the old WTC site and the statue of liberty next to the native american museum.

The spires are bugging me though. The closest I know of to that would be the St. Nicholas Cathedral, which is way up on the upper east side. The bird of course also looks like it could also be from the Chrysler building, which would spread the clues across over 100 blocks, which I doubt the riddle would do. The things that first jump out at me are well too far apart to fit properly.

I agree that the spires on Ellis Island don't fit. But the ferry dock there matches up with the gray rectangle with thin red outline -- it is edged with a thin strip of red bricks.

Hard word/3 Vols. has me stumped, though, and I *am* a local. Maybe it has something to do with NYT crossword puzzles (the editor of a 3-volume set, perhaps)? Or, since it's capitalized, what if "Vols" is actually short for "Volunteers"? As in, people from TN, the Volunteer State? Johnny Cash's band The Tennessee Three were around then, and one of the members at the time was a Holland. The Holland Tunnel is right nearby. Seems like too many jumps in logic, and yet potentially figure-outable without the internet.

Guuse posted:

Is it possible to pick out anything on Ellis from Battery Park, or is the distance just too great? Are there those binocular/viewing devices set up along the shore there, maybe? If it wasn't for the posting earlier that the area around the the Railway/Ferry Terminal in Liberty State Park was a toxic hell-hole when the book was written I'd be a lot higher on that location.

On the other hand, I think someone earlier in the thread mentioned that the Indian Museum near Battery Park wasn't in operation when the book was written.

That museum is in the old Customs House -- a historic building in its own right, but the museum didn't open until 1994. It is, however, named for Alexander Hamilton, who could easily be the "Indies Native".

And yes, you can see Ellis Island from southern Manhattan. The Hudson's only about a mile wide.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

einTier posted:

I'm now 1/3 of the way through this thread, compiling all the information I can for Houston for the wiki. It's amazing how many pages don't have anything, while others have large chunks.

I wish I had thought about it earlier, but I'm thinking it might be a good idea to catalog what searches are mentioned on each page. That way, if someone wanted to see all the discussion about a particular cask/city/verse they could see that Milwaukee was mentioned on pages 23, 24, 25, 38, 42, 45-50, .....

I think that could be useful, but compiling it? Christ. I'm thinking a spreadsheet might be best.

I was visiting a friend today and she lives about 2 miles from Tranquility Park, so we stopped by and snapped some pictures of the things you requested. The seals in the ground were in two locations we could find, both sets look like they were put there in 1979. Each group of four has one seal in English and the other three are in various languages. I also snapped pictures of the pillars from different angles and from standing in the center of each of the sets of seals.

Here's the album, she also got a few pictures so I'm going to get them from her and upload them as well. http://imgur.com/a/0q5ot

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

I was visiting a friend today and she lives about 2 miles from Tranquility Park, so we stopped by and snapped some pictures of the things you requested. The seals in the ground were in two locations we could find, both sets look like they were put there in 1979. Each group of four has one seal in English and the other three are in various languages. I also snapped pictures of the pillars from different angles and from standing in the center of each of the sets of seals.

Here's the album, she also got a few pictures so I'm going to get them from her and upload them as well. http://imgur.com/a/0q5ot

Wow! Thanks, I really appreciate it. I'm studying them and seeing if there's anything significant there.

evilhat
Sep 14, 2004
When I get angry I turn into a Hat

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

What we take to be
Our strongest tower of delight
Falls gently
In December night

Someone might be right about the Christmas tree. It is put up in front of city hall every year. It's a short walk from Tranquility Park. Its reflection falls gently on the reflecting pool.

I'm headed back to Houston this weekend maybe I can take some pictures.

982 could also refer to the phone number prefix 982. http://www.phonenumber.cc/713-982
This would of made more sense back before cell phones maybe?

evilhat fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 7, 2013

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

evilhat posted:

982 could also refer to the phone number prefix 982. http://www.phonenumber.cc/713-982
This would of made more sense back before cell phones maybe?

That's always been my problem with the SP 982. The number 982 is so generic. It could literally be anything. However, we found that damned train, which looms so large that it's difficult to think it's anything else. The only problem is that nothing else in Hermann Park seems to fit.

Meat Street
Oct 17, 2004

knowin' nothin' in life but to be legit
Did one of you lovely people just crawl/download the entire wiki? It's fine if it was a goon; just curious since it set off some server alerts.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

It was the CIA, someone is getting close.

evilhat
Sep 14, 2004
When I get angry I turn into a Hat

einTier posted:

That's always been my problem with the SP 982. The number 982 is so generic. It could literally be anything. However, we found that damned train, which looms so large that it's difficult to think it's anything else. The only problem is that nothing else in Hermann Park seems to fit.

Yeah people want it so badly to be in that Park, I agree nothing really fits.
This is been keeping me up too late, and I'm learning too much Houston history.
So most of the poems/pictures name streets where the treasure is between?

That is what I feel the first lines of the poem are about. I have no idea what fortress north is, maybe San Jacinto street?
In reference to fort San Jacinto. http://www.fortwiki.com/Fort_San_Jacinto

Cold as Glass - Ayn Rand's Anthem - The quote in question occurs during a section of the novel where the protagonist has ventured off alone for the first time and found a relic from the modern world. It is a rail line from a subway, and happens to be underground near an arts theater

This could refer to the tunnels under Houston, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_tunnel_system
The first tunnel was located beneath Fannin Street between Texas and Capitol. This short tunnel connected former Texas Governor Ross Sterling's 1926 Post-Dispatch Building (now The Magnolia Hotel) with another one of his buildings, the 1931 Sterling Building. It is interesting to note that the architect for each building was Wyatt C. Hedrick, Ross Sterling's son-in-law.

Friendship south - If we are looking for street names, That would most likely be Texas, since Texas is the friendship state. Texas street is also the street with a couple theaters on it. But further nw up the street.

Take your task
To the number
Nine eight two

This is all up in the air, it could mean head to 982 Texas street? Well in Houston main street divides the 900 and 1000 block.

Through the wood
No lion fears

This feels like a reference to Christ Church Cathedral across the street from the magnolia. It is the oldest extant congregation in Houston and one of the oldest non-Roman Catholic churches in Texas. It also has a ornately carved rood screen. The line says wood, not woods.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_Church_Cathedral_%28Houston%29

I'm pretty sure lions don't fear God?

In the sky the water veers - The next small block up Texas is the location of the Binz building, site of Houston's first Sky scraper.
http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/Building/2058/The-Binz-Building.php
Pointless but the new building was finished in 1982, and is the nexus of the 982 universe.

Small of scale - could refer to the small scale J.J. Sweeney clock that is at the intersection of Texas and main, infront of the Benz building.

The real 15 foot tall one sits across the street from tranquility park in a little triangle.
http://www.houstontx.gov/municipalart/sweeneyclock.html

Step across - cross the rail road tracks on main street?

Perspective should not be lost - Im not sure it could be a reference to the old location of the Iris theater?
http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/20779 - It was the first theater connected by tunnels.

I'm a little stuck there.

As far as the picture goes the Camel on the pillar could be a reference to the steam stack of the old Water Works building.
Its still there but is slightly changed. The city aquarium replaced the Fire station N.1 known as "Protection No. 1" which might of had a stack or tower.
Demolished in 2001.
http://www.houstontx.gov/fire/firestations/station1.html

It could of also been the whistle mentioned at the end. No idea if this tower is the north star? No idea how old it is, seems like the only one around this area.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
I'm new to this thread but I checked the wiki and I sincerely hope I'm not posting on a dragon = Chinatown level.

Looking at the image for Cask 6, it strikes me that the outline of the rock the conquistador is standing on is awfully detailed for just suggesting Florida with its negative space (and really doesn't match very well, plus it suggests the wrong side of Florida), and that the outline of the right side really makes me think of a detailed water boundary, like a riverbank or a coast. I looked at the maps of parks around St. Augustine, FL, and I'm struck by what a strong resemblance it bears to the bank of the St. John's River at the Bayard Point Conservation Area. If you look at this trail map (pdf), the bright blue jewel of the picture would be at about the East Trailhead entrance, wouldn't it?

Vienna Circlejerk fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 11, 2013

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
evilhat, thanks for making me a little more sane about my theory. I was beginning to think I was the only one thinking on that level.

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I'm new to this thread but I checked the wiki and I sincerely hope I'm not posting on a dragon = Chinatown level.

Looking at the image for Cask 6, it strikes me that the outline of the rock the conquistador is standing on is awfully detailed for just suggesting Florida with its negative space (and really doesn't match very well, plus it suggests the wrong side of Florida), and that the outline of the right side really makes me think of a detailed water boundary, like a riverbank or a coast. I looked at the maps of parks around St. Augustine, FL, and I'm struck by what a strong resemblance it bears to the bank of the St. John's River at the Bayard Point Conservation Area. If you look at this trail map (pdf), the bright blue jewel of the picture would be at about the East Trailhead entrance, wouldn't it?

I don't have time to look, but I appreciate the contribution. The fact is, we really need new blood in this thread, and if we're being honest, no one of us know where the casks are. People have made a very strong case for that cask being in the Fountain of Youth park -- but despite all the digging, no one's found it there either. Run with your theory. See where it takes you.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Don't forget that there is a pretty obvious outline of Virginia in the lower right corner. It may not be in Florida at all.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Holy cow, this is amazing. I live very close to Charleston so I think I'm going to take a look at that possible one a lot closer. Is the information in the OP and 2nd post still pretty accurate for where we stand?

I'm gonna take a look at the Wiki now to make sure.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SquadronROE posted:

Holy cow, this is amazing. I live very close to Charleston so I think I'm going to take a look at that possible one a lot closer. Is the information in the OP and 2nd post still pretty accurate for where we stand?

I'm gonna take a look at the Wiki now to make sure.

Somewhere around the middle of the thread there's a really, really strong White Point Gardens theory, and there's a decent theory for for moultrie also. Problem is digging in either of those areas is a crime.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Somewhere around the middle of the thread there's a really, really strong White Point Gardens theory, and there's a decent theory for for moultrie also. Problem is digging in either of those areas is a crime.

Where'd your title go? I liked it a lot. Also, I can try to go grab some pics of either if it would help. They're both pretty close and we've been looking for an excuse to go take more pictures too. I'll try to figure out where those bits are, too.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I might check out this new book to see if there is anything more with the Harvard gates that can help the proposed Boston image.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...ily%2520%281%29

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Nocheez posted:

Don't forget that there is a pretty obvious outline of Virginia in the lower right corner. It may not be in Florida at all.

I would caution you against seeing that as an intentional outline of virginia. If it is then its very poorly done. It's missing the eastern "hook" of virginia that juts up into West virginia and kentucky, and the dip in the same eastern border where West virginia sticks down into virginia a bit.

The outline of Ohio from one of the solved puzzles was pretty spot on as far as shape and size goes, so I doubt this is intended to be virginia, especially considering the other side of the tree also forms a fairly accurate representation of tennessee as well; I doubt either is intentional. There's 50 states and if you pick a random shape there's a good chance it will be close to the outline of at least one state. As far as I remember there was a good deal of discussion on whether the outline of illinois from the chicago puzzle was intentional or not.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Cosmik Debris posted:

I would caution you against seeing that as an intentional outline of virginia. If it is then its very poorly done. It's missing the eastern "hook" of virginia that juts up into West virginia and kentucky, and the dip in the same eastern border where West virginia sticks down into virginia a bit.

The outline of Ohio from one of the solved puzzles was pretty spot on as far as shape and size goes, so I doubt this is intended to be virginia, especially considering the other side of the tree also forms a fairly accurate representation of tennessee as well; I doubt either is intentional. There's 50 states and if you pick a random shape there's a good chance it will be close to the outline of at least one state. As far as I remember there was a good deal of discussion on whether the outline of illinois from the chicago puzzle was intentional or not.

Go back and look at the Cleveland cask and compare the Ohio in the painting with the actual map. It's not perfect, and an entire eastern section of the state is covered by the pillar. In my opinion, the outline of Virginia in this picture is just as obvious.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I may be biased because I've lived in Virginia my whole life, but I can't NOT see VA in that outline. What really sells it for me is the palm frond that ends out in the middle of "Virginia". To me, that's a dead ringer for I64 heading from the beach and ending in Richmond, which then has lots of roads leading off of it. I've never considered the western hook to be a distinctive part of the state's outline, but I'm also not from western VA so maybe that's my own metropolitan (ha) bias.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
It just makes no sense in the context of virginia. The other side of the palm trunk really is an almost exact outline of tennessee, too, so then what of that?

I too have lived in virginia my whole life, and still do, and I know a great deal about virginia history and there's nothing in there to suggest anything about virginia other than the outline.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Well, agree to disagree I guess. To my perspective that outline is obviously Virginia.

As for the Tennessee aspect, I had a couple thoughts:

1. The positioning emphasizes the border between Va and Tn. Bristol is a fairly large city that spans the border. For a while I played around with the verse that mentions "the grey giant", "whirring sounds" and "cars abound" as references to Bristol Motor Speedway. I couldn't really get a lot of traction there.

2. Rock City, on Lookout mountain. At the peak, there is a sign claiming that you can see 7 states, including Tn and Va. Bonus, there's a face in the side of the mountain. Not a great connection to the conquistador though.

3. One that I really like, although being unfamiliar with the park I don't know I'd it's viable, is Balboa Park in San Diego. It fits the conquistador theme, the El Cid statue is a better fit than anything at the FOY park for the man on top, and there's even a Richmond street that cuts through the park. It looks like there's not a lot of undeveloped space, though, so that idea may be unrealistic.

Since I'm spouting off random Cask 6 thoughts, I'll also mention that the island looks exactly like Haystack Rock in Cannon Beach Oregon, which of course doesn't support any of my other theories but whatever, I'm having fun.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
Cask 6, Verse 9 - St. Augustine

Cosmik Debris posted:

It just makes no sense in the context of virginia. The other side of the palm trunk really is an almost exact outline of tennessee, too, so then what of that?

I too have lived in virginia my whole life, and still do, and I know a great deal about virginia history and there's nothing in there to suggest anything about virginia other than the outline.

I agree with you, especially when there are so many clues in verse 9 that match exactly with the FOY theory (shell, limestone, silver and salt, wind rose, the first chapter, the honking, the planetarium, etc.).

I don't see any particular wisdom in breaking up the image/verse pairing for the St. Augustine casque, especially considering the additional FOY references in the book itself. This and Roanoke seem to be two of the more slam dunk image/verse matches.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 13, 2013

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
There's no wisdom in trying to solve a 30 year old treasure hunt anyway, so I might as well think about some off the wall ideas.

While I agree that verse 9 has a lot of clues that mesh well with the FOY park, there really isn't much to tie picture 6 to it other than a generic looking conquistador, one that isn't a very good match for the ones at the park (now, at least). And a palm tree which implies FL (or CA, or anywhere else warm and wet).

The cynic in me thinks that no one will find them at all, so we might as well cast a wide net. Plus, if it is in FL I can't contribute anything, so I might as well work the angles that I can.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Image 6 / Verse 5

I drove up to Corbett yesterday to see if I could find some better angles from which to take pictures. Being there in person it looks just perfect, but maybe someone here can see something I'm missing, since I'm not finding exact image overlays. Most of what I see looks very close, but there's lots of deviation as well. This is a large boulder and it's not a perfectly uniform object, meaning it looks dramatically different depending on where you're standing to view it, so people who say the picture looks nothing like the boulder aren't really saying much. Seeing it in person in true 3D perspective makes it obvious, but every photo I have seems to lack some convincing element. My best understanding is that the artist drew some portions in detail, but also composed other features or angles into the object making a kind of collage. It's very hard to prove such a perspective after it's been rendered by hand into a more unique looking rock formation.

I also performed the 12 pace count (24x 30" steps) which put me precisely in front of that big stand-alone tree. I turned around and took this photo,

(I tried to provide large photos so people could download and zoom in for more detail if it helps)

http://s11.photobucket.com/user/erexere/media/secret/The%20Secret/12paceswhitestone_zpse63ad61a.jpg.html

I stood on top of some of the smaller stones around the circle and took different angles. I also took some pictures of the gorge below. I noticed there were many purple flowers along the cliffs edge. I just pasted everything into a jumbled single layout. I'll put up a link to the full album of photos in a moment.

http://s11.photobucket.com/user/erexere/media/secret/The%20Secret/CorbettImage6_zps6e3d5b9c.png.html

That didn't take as long as I thought, here's the album link, http://s11.photobucket.com/user/erexere/library/secret/The%20Secret/Corbett

Notice some pics of some fresh patches of dirt. I presume those are from moles. Given that they litter the landscape it seems foolish that the historic site requires an archaeologist to dig.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 13, 2013

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

BJG fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Aug 15, 2013

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Image 6 / Verse 5

I don't think Florida's St. Augustine is the only option for Image 6. Previous to Ponce de Leon's arrival in St. Augustine, the Spanish made claim to the Pacific Northwest. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_expeditions_to_the_Pacific_Northwest

Bruno de Hezeta was the first European explorer to see the mouth of the Columbia River in 1775. I think a portion of the image below the purple flowers looks a lot like the section of the Columbia River gorge seen from the Corbett site just a mile and a half off Exit 22 along Historic Highway No.2.

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

BJG fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Aug 15, 2013

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Cosmik Debris posted:

Ohio has very little to do with centaurs or Greece in general. As I've pointed out before, Greece is one of the last countries you'd name when it comes to immigrants to Cleveland. And what's a Gnome or windmills have to do with Chicago?

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

Domus posted:

Ohio has very little to do with centaurs or Greece in general. As I've pointed out before, Greece is one of the last countries you'd name when it comes to immigrants to Cleveland. And what's a Gnome or windmills have to do with Chicago?

greek culltural gardens... windy city?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

BJG posted:

greek culltural gardens... windy city?

I'll give you windy city. But we have cultural gardens for several dozen countries, and they're all together. Ask someone to name one, and they'll maybe name Italy, or Romania. It's not like the Greek one stands out somehow, or is locally well known. If someone told me treasure was buried in that area, I'd actually aim for the lagoon in front of our art museum, or somewhere on the CWRU campus before any of the gardens.