Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Who should I be giving my excess titles to?

I'm in the middle of a game now where I was just doleing them out to male dynasty members, but have just discovered that this is a terrible idea if one of them gets a bit rebellious and you send them on a date with the axeman. Now a large bunch of my vassals have a massive mallus to their opinion of me because I killed a member of their family, and they've all joined factions and have more men than me. This is going to be an ugly few years.

So clearly this isn't the way to go about it, what should I be doing?

Secondly in regards to titles like Amalfi and Venice who should I be giving them to? I tried giving it to the patricians but they seem to be never happy vassals, so I had to execute them. Then I tried giving them to mayors that were already my vassals, and liked me, but this then gave them a -20 "wrong Government Type" opinion to me.

Thirdly, what about Rome? I lost my grasp on it and it passed from my realm for now, but when I pick it back up what vassal type should it go to? A priest/bishop/whatever my religion calls it?

Finally, I was thinking of moving my primary title to a better Duchy, as the one I'm in, while it currently has a decent tech and good upgrades on holdings, it doesnt have any room for expansion, all the slots are full. Should I move to a Duchy with the most slots in total to give me maximum vassals within my own duchy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
People with nothing to gain pretty much. I like checking my court and figure out who likes me the best and give it to them. Do not give it to them if they have the ambitious trait (If they have the content trait, that's a real plus).

Spread the love around, the fewer land an individual vassal owns the harder it will be for him to strike against you.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Tindahbawx posted:

I'm in the middle of a game now where I was just doleing them out to male dynasty members, but have just discovered that this is a terrible idea if one of them gets a bit rebellious and you send them on a date with the axeman. Now a large bunch of my vassals have a massive mallus to their opinion of me because I killed a member of their family, and they've all joined factions and have more men than me. This is going to be an ugly few years.

So clearly this isn't the way to go about it, what should I be doing?

Secondly in regards to titles like Amalfi and Venice who should I be giving them to? I tried giving it to the patricians but they seem to be never happy vassals, so I had to execute them. Then I tried giving them to mayors that were already my vassals, and liked me, but this then gave them a -20 "wrong Government Type" opinion to me.

Thirdly, what about Rome? I lost my grasp on it and it passed from my realm for now, but when I pick it back up what vassal type should it go to? A priest/bishop/whatever my religion calls it?

Finally, I was thinking of moving my primary title to a better Duchy, as the one I'm in, while it currently has a decent tech and good upgrades on holdings, it doesnt have any room for expansion, all the slots are full. Should I move to a Duchy with the most slots in total to give me maximum vassals within my own duchy?

I like to seed Dynasty members in foreign courts through marriages. That or conquer a large part of heathenland and hand the title to someone without a claim to my land and giving him independence. This way I get to have a backup part of my dynasty to fall back to in case I gently caress up and I also benefit from dynasty prestige from more titles. Plus, the independent branches tend to expand well enough on their own.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Tindahbawx posted:

I'm a big fan of giving them to distant dynasty members.
Yeah, there's the potential for discontent if you have to remove a head or two, but it makes life so much easier for your vassals when they want to conquer something. Instead of having to do everything with maybe a couple of allies, they can invite everyone to the war. The kid I just gave the Umayyad territory to can't do poo poo on his own right now, but the 150k levies his allies can bring to the party are a different matter.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
If I'm using Elective Succession - and I often am - I'll hand out excess titles to dynasty members left and right - that way I have a broader pool of potential heirs to select from.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

If I'm using Elective Succession - and I often am - I'll hand out excess titles to dynasty members left and right - that way I have a broader pool of potential heirs to select from.

This is always a good option, especially when I manage to reform my Norse games where everyone seems to expand like crazy.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

If I'm conquering infidel territory the county titles go to non-ambitious (with my culture/religion) dudes with high stewardship, and the Duchy to a member of my dynasty who doesn't have any claims and no titles he's in danger of inheriting.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

NihilCredo posted:

The only thing agreed upon is that if sweden.mod includes the dependencies = { "Scandinavia" } line then everything will work "right" as I described above regardless of mod names or order, but hardly any mods seem to actually do that - not even explicit submods.

I can't confirm but I'm almost certain that this is correct.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Beamed posted:

I can't confirm but I'm almost certain that this is correct.
Yeah, but what if they don't have that line? How does CK2 choose the file to load then?

I'm quite baffled that it's not common knowledge.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I'm about five rulers in to my first really successful game in North Africa and I'm wondering two things:

1. My game seems to be bugged that every ruler will get the 'build a flying machine' event twice. Every time, Bah al drik has his cunning plan - does it ever work? Am I cursed to raise the Bla' khaddar dynasty?

2. One of my rear end in a top hat Christian vassals in Barcelona seems to have started a holy war and is slowly picking off Christian Spain one duchy at a time without any help from me. I'm keeping his opinion high, but should I be worried? He's raking in more money than the rest of us combined, and I feel like eventually he's going to declare independence and start loving me over. Is there a way to produce a Christian family member through tutoring children so I can reabsorb his crazy empire through marrying his daughter to a son, assassinating him and then demanding my grandson converts?

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

To anyone looking for a fun game in CK2, start as any Finnish High Chief in 1066. The non-Tengri, non-Norse pagan faiths are actually really interesting to play, and feel like a balanced version of pagans. You gain massive defensive bonuses when fighting, something you'll need to take advantage of cleverly in order to fend off Christian holy wars, conquering external land is difficult and slow, and reforming the faith doesn't make you an absurdly superpowered God-King. The faith is reformable, though, and it's not obscenely hard to do so, like it is with every other non-Tengri faith in 1066.

Generally you'll end up facing a massive Rus or a massive Cumania, and either of those is a ticking time bomb who will stomp you and take your territory, so you have a decent challenge to face down, and since the Pope is sure to call a crusade on you (I've never played a 1066 pagan game where I took a kingdom and didn't eventually cop a crusade), you get to play a really interesting, challenging game for the first 50-100 years.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

NihilCredo posted:

Yeah, but what if they don't have that line? How does CK2 choose the file to load then?

I thought the mods loaded sequentially in the loader so that the one nearest the bottom of the list would have its files loaded last and thus take predominance, but I don't mod CK2 and I only remember this vaguely from a discussion in the CK2+ thread on Paradoxplaza.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is it me or is playing as the Norse a little too easy? I started at the earliest date as some dude in the middle of england and only 100 years later I have most of Britannia under my control. The routine is just claim a country via conquest > claim de jure whatever > repeat, with the occassional total conquest war if I have a new king.

If I want something a little more chaotic to play as what should I be picking?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

NihilCredo posted:

It's not really something Paradox talked about and it's not something modders often do; unfortunately, many modders don't seem to enjoy object-oriented design.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Pierson posted:

Is it me or is playing as the Norse a little too easy? I started at the earliest date as some dude in the middle of england and only 100 years later I have most of Britannia under my control. The routine is just claim a country via conquest > claim de jure whatever > repeat, with the occassional total conquest war if I have a new king.

If I want something a little more chaotic to play as what should I be picking?

Try Norse in 1066, 867 Norse is indeed easy mode. Zoroastrian is hard mode for 867.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

NihilCredo posted:

e: I will miss the Zoroastrianism Expanded mod, though

It's actually relatively easy to patch this into compatibility with CK2+ (I know I did for my personal setup which is largely based on CK2+ - when I get a chance I'll check and see what was necessary.)

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Well poo poo, my sisters been ferreting away on the family tree on ancestry.com and it turns out that way back in it, it includes the Plantagnets, from Antigone Plantagenet all the way back through that set of Kings of England, to William of Normandy, and back from his dad Rollo (Hrolf) Ragnvaldsson, to possibly some chap called Frosti Karasson, King in Kvenland, born in AD 210, but I'd end it with more certainity at Ivar, Jarl of the Uplands b.770.

Obviously its all tenuous as hell, through mothers and fathers, and a legitimised bastard or two, certainly not a direct line, and not checked by a genealogist, but its pretty cool having a load of royals in it there, and then a bunch of wild Norsemen!

I'd better start up a new game now, see if I can find one of them at a 867 start date, and then make an empire they would be proud of!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Pyromancer posted:

Try Norse in 1066, 867 Norse is indeed easy mode. Zoroastrian is hard mode for 867.
I'll give it a shot, thanks man. I like the idea of having to re-claim and re-forge a religion, but yeah the earlier starting date made it too easy, especially starting from england like I did which basically gave me Ireland for free.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 5, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Tindahbawx posted:

Well poo poo, my sisters been ferreting away on the family tree on ancestry.com and it turns out that way back in it, it includes the Plantagnets, from Antigone Plantagenet all the way back through that set of Kings of England, to William of Normandy, and back from his dad Rollo (Hrolf) Ragnvaldsson, to possibly some chap called Frosti Karasson, King in Kvenland, born in AD 210, but I'd end it with more certainity at Ivar, Jarl of the Uplands b.770.

Obviously its all tenuous as hell, through mothers and fathers, and a legitimised bastard or two, certainly not a direct line, and not checked by a genealogist, but its pretty cool having a load of royals in it there, and then a bunch of wild Norsemen!

I'd better start up a new game now, see if I can find one of them at a 867 start date, and then make an empire they would be proud of!

Oh poo poo! You better go and make a lot of money, and hire Blackwater or something like that. You just might be able to press your claim to the British Crown!

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Tindahbawx posted:

My nan did this for our family and I've got a line to Willem the Conqueror, if you go back far enough most of europe is descented from royalty somewhere if you dont come from a backwater village that has only been touched in the last 100 years. Still cool thought.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
If you really want hard mode try Zoroastrian Gilan. Karens actually pretty easy when you figure out what you need to do.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I decided I am going to start a game as Dyre the Stranger and stay Norse but change my culture if I get the opportunity, to one of the steppe cultures or Greek. I cant decide which I would prefer.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Trujillo posted:

If you really want hard mode try Zoroastrian Gilan. Karens actually pretty easy when you figure out what you need to do.

Oh hey! Have you managed to survive more than 100 years as them? From the moment I got Old Gods I've been busting my head up against this over and over without much success. What's your secret?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

lenoon posted:

2. One of my rear end in a top hat Christian vassals in Barcelona seems to have started a holy war and is slowly picking off Christian Spain one duchy at a time without any help from me. I'm keeping his opinion high, but should I be worried? He's raking in more money than the rest of us combined, and I feel like eventually he's going to declare independence and start loving me over. Is there a way to produce a Christian family member through tutoring children so I can reabsorb his crazy empire through marrying his daughter to a son, assassinating him and then demanding my grandson converts?

Um, if your crown authority is high enough you can revoke titles from infidels without penalty. If you are going to do it to this guy you should make sure he is in your court, arrest him, then revoke (so he cant rebel).

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

nothing to seehere posted:

My nan did this for our family and I've got a line to Willem the Conqueror, if you go back far enough most of europe is descented from royalty somewhere if you dont come from a backwater village that has only been touched in the last 100 years. Still cool thought.

Yeah, its easy to keep going back once you get to anyone who was a Duke or a Count or whatever, they're so well documented at that level. There's a whole bunch of dead ends on the tree that just don't go anywhere because the people weren't important enough to remember.

I'm still going to eat my cake and be all smug for the rest of the day though.:smug:

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 5, 2013

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

DrSunshine posted:

Oh hey! Have you managed to survive more than 100 years as them? From the moment I got Old Gods I've been busting my head up against this over and over without much success. What's your secret?

The problem with the Karens is that even when you do manage to survive the initial 100 years (swearing fealty and eating from the inside has been key for me), the Seljuk steamroller comes along and flattens you anyway.

Mickey McKey posted:

Um, if your crown authority is high enough you can revoke titles from infidels without penalty. If you are going to do it to this guy you should make sure he is in your court, arrest him, then revoke (so he cant rebel).

If he's an unreformed pagan, though, he can't get to medium CA (which is required for free revoke from infidels). Do bear in mind, though, general revoke is only -20 malus for other vassals and sometimes it's worth it to take the hit if it means neutralizing a dangerous vassal.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

So as Gilan, should I take a bunch of counties with an initial holy war, and then swear fealty to Karen? Or should I swear fealty to the Saffarids? I tried the "convert and make your heir a zoroastrian" route, but I ended converting everybody beneath me as well, so there were no more Zoroastrians to teach my heir.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

DrSunshine posted:

So as Gilan, should I take a bunch of counties with an initial holy war, and then swear fealty to Karen? Or should I swear fealty to the Saffarids? I tried the "convert and make your heir a zoroastrian" route, but I ended converting everybody beneath me as well, so there were no more Zoroastrians to teach my heir.

Oh. Yeah, I've never survived as Gilan. Not once. :yayclod:

That gives me an idea, though. Concubines don't get converted when you and your family convert, right? If they in fact do not, you could collect 3 Zoro concubines and use them to keep educating your daughters. With this tactic, you might be able to keep Zoroastrianism alive in the female line of my dynasty and convert when the time is right.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Tindahbawx posted:

Generally I give them to dynasty members who don't have any other titles. If there aren't any of those then I give it to random courtiers who like me and aren't ambitious. Sometimes I just give them to Bishops, since generally with Free Investiture as long as your piety isn't poo poo and you don't have too many vice traits they'll generally like you more than the pope.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Leb posted:

The problem with the Karens is that even when you do manage to survive the initial 100 years (swearing fealty and eating from the inside has been key for me), the Seljuk steamroller comes along and flattens you anyway.

I never really had much of a problem with the Seljuks when I played. They would win the initial invasion of Turkestan entirely through logistics (30k doomstack spawns on my territory and immediately assaults it, while my 45k in men can't get there in time), and then once the truce expired I'd have my retinues lined up so that I'd be the one able to get the jump on them this time.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

jpmeyer posted:

I never really had much of a problem with the Seljuks when I played. They would win the initial invasion of Turkestan entirely through logistics (30k doomstack spawns on my territory and immediately assaults it, while my 45k in men can't get there in time), and then once the truce expired I'd have my retinues lined up so that I'd be the one able to get the jump on them this time.

At least in PB and CK+, they don't start attacking Turkestan, but Persia, which takes away most of your manpower.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So I've built a rather nice Empire of Carpathia. It contains Hungary, Bulgaria, Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia, Poland, Bohemia, Crimea, Ruthenia, Pomerania and Constantinople so I think I'm doing rather well. And I've got a great Emperor on the throne that's really wise and well-liked by most his vassals. Despite that, he got assassinated in 1150 by half his King and Grand Mayor vassals. He had no living male heirs so unfortunately his insane, possessed, gay, syphilitic grand-daughter of 15 is on the throne. Oh and she's a zealous Catholic in a realm made up almost entirely of reformed Tengri. And the assassins are now agitating for independence.

:suicide: My empire isn't going to last is it?

I'm wondering if the AI realized how precarious my succession was and assassinated the previous emperor so they'd have an easier time becoming independent. That'd be really impressive.

On a more amusing note, the Byzantine Empire has switched to Elective which I've never seen happen before.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

So I have a problem. My starter king died far too early (oops - shouldn't have been leading the troops) and his only kid somehow got the Chaste trait. His handpicked genius wife later became homosexual. So like -40% fertility between them. 10 years later, still no babies. Advice?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Indecisive posted:

So I have a problem. My starter king died far too early (oops - shouldn't have been leading the troops) and his only kid somehow got the Chaste trait. His handpicked genius wife later became homosexual. So like -40% fertility between them. 10 years later, still no babies. Advice?

Are you pagan? Get some concubines (man, what am I saying, this loving game :smith:).

If not, divorce or :ese: (jesus christ), then marry some hot young thang with traits like Lustful or whatever.

If Muslim, you should have more than one wife really. You'd have the opposite problem in that case.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Has anyone run a sort of challenge play through where you conquer as much as you can while keeping Gavelkind and having as many kids as possible? No giving out land besides by dying and having everything died out.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Has anyone tried running a Muslim Trade Republic?

I can't imagine them working very well together at all.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Geokinesis posted:

Has anyone tried running a Muslim Trade Republic?

I can't imagine them working very well together at all.

If you play with vanilla decadence mechanics, it can be a pain to manage decadence by imprisoning decadent relatives, because you end up running into the "Doges must have a special reason to imprison" all the time. Otherwise, Muslim Trade Republics are quite strong, actually, thanks to the Muslim tech advantage.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Indecisive posted:

We have a 'forbid councilor from leading armies', now I want a 'forbid King from leading armies' button on his sheet.

So many dead kings... :negative:

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Indecisive posted:

This is why pagans are awesome:

Fintilgin posted:

We have a 'forbid councilor from leading armies', now I want a 'forbid King from leading armies' button on his sheet.

So many dead kings... :negative:

You can always just change the leaders yourself. If your vassal levies get big enough you can just forgo raising your personal levies and your character won't even leave his throne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

You call yourself a knight; what is that?

Indecisive posted:

Figure out if you have a cousin who would make a decent ruler and switch to elective.

• Locked thread