Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

chellesandcheese posted:

So...I've been seeing lots of recommendations for Rivers of London. Is the first one available for kindle somewhere? I can't seem to find it.

Book 1 is called Midnight Riot in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

edit: beaten.

chellesandcheese
Jul 12, 2005

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Book 1 is called Midnight Riot in the US.

Awesome. Thanks! I tried to look up a list to see because I thought that may have been the case, but I didn't want to read spoilers.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

NecroMonster posted:

So I finished Broken Homes and was utterly unsurprised that what happened, happened. I kind of figured this was going to happen ever since the last book, and the way Peter was treating Lesley. I honestly believe this isn't some sort of play and Lesley has seriously turned traitor, but I'd really really like to believe she's just using her obvious possible motivation to play the faceless man a fool

SPOILER DISCUSSION:

I kinda saw it coming just from narrative necessity as soon as we got the hints that he could do cosmetic work, but still it felt sudden. Reading back through there's more foreshadowing than I thought though, like how she tells the Russian "you really want to call your boss", her breakdown when she asks what good the law is, etc.

It's really interesting that the Russian is also aging in reverse. My prior theory was that Nightingale's relationship with Molly was causing his youth, but if it's happening to all major practitioners that's different. It's really, really interesting that she gave a specific date for when it happened.

I'm still unclear as to exactly what the building actually did at the end there.

I don't think Nightingale will completely croak out for a few more books at least, if only because Peter needs a certain minimum number of characters to play off of and Molly is a bit one-note. I guess that the Russian could step in but, well, there's obvious problems there. Would be interesting if she starts exchanging techniques. They're going to have to start seriously recruiting it sounds like.

One scary thought is that the FM clearly knows a lot more about them now than they do about him, and seems to have access to a lot more different traditions than Peter does.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 3, 2013

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Broken Homes:
I think that the Skygarden Estate actually might have been the reason for the decline of magic, or at least had something to do with it. What with it basically gathering magic into one area and possibly storing it in some way even prior to the Faceless Man's little canine capacitors.

I'm also wondering if that was the same day that Nightingale started aging in reverse.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

SPOILER DISCUSSION:

It's really interesting that the Russian is also aging in reverse. My prior theory was that Nightingale's relationship with Molly was causing his youth, but if it's happening to all major practitioners that's different. It's really, really interesting that she gave a specific date for when it happened.

The previous (first) Faceless Man didn't have the age-reversal thing going on. Whatever happened, it's certainly not "all major practitioners".

quote:

One scary thought is that the FM clearly knows a lot more about them now than they do about him, and seems to have access to a lot more different traditions than Peter does.

My take-away is that he has access to a lot less different traditions than Peter does - the issue is that Peter has 10 to 20 years less experience with magic (and Nightingale hasn't / won't teach him the nasty magic that is easier if you ignore the human cost)

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Anyone have any experience with the Mercy Thompson books? I'm looking for something new to pick up and Audible has a "Buy 2 Contemporary Fantasy, get 1 free" going on right now. Are they worth reading?

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

-Fish- posted:

Anyone have any experience with the Mercy Thompson books? I'm looking for something new to pick up and Audible has a "Buy 2 Contemporary Fantasy, get 1 free" going on right now. Are they worth reading?

I found them to be OK. Lot less sex than I expected which was nice. Way better than the Iron Druid poo poo or God forbid Anita Blake Vampire Humper.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

-Fish- posted:

They're pretty good. Not great, but definitely above average. However, I don't like the reader on the audio books. That might just be a personal thing though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ookiimarukochan posted:

My take-away is that he has access to a lot less different traditions than Peter does - the issue is that Peter has 10 to 20 years less experience with magic (and Nightingale hasn't / won't teach him the nasty magic that is easier if you ignore the human cost)

More Broken Homes Spoilers:

The impression I'm getting is that Nightingale's knowledge is deeper but the FM's is broader. Nightingale has an amazing amount of knowledge of British magical traditions but doesn't know much of anything outside it. The FM is clearly much more willing to branch out and experiment, and he's more in touch with alternative practicioners

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

More Broken Homes Spoilers:

The impression I'm getting is that Nightingale's knowledge is deeper but the FM's is broader. Nightingale has an amazing amount of knowledge of British magical traditions but doesn't know much of anything outside it. The FM is clearly much more willing to branch out and experiment, and he's more in touch with alternative practicioners

Nightingale has shown familiarity with the stuff that both faceless men have done - the issue is that he doesn't want to use it as it's so evil / requires you to do horrific acts to get it working - he saw everything the Nazis did and may have been involved in the British equivalent to the Night Witches programme (which was abandoned for being too dangerous)
You are right that the Faceless Man is experimenting with the dangerous stuff though - using dogs rather than humans for demon traps - but as has been mentioned earlier, he's obviously a lot dumber than Peter at the least. I mean, he knew about the Skygarden much earlier than Peter, and had access to at least the same amount of reference material on it, but didn't manage to put 2 and 2 together to realise what it was actually for / how it was supposed to work.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
I have been reading every Broken Homes spoiler and I can't wait for my copy to get here. :ohdear:

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

chellesandcheese posted:

So...I've been seeing lots of recommendations for Rivers of London. Is the first one available for kindle somewhere? I can't seem to find it.

US version is called Midnight Riots by Ben Aaronovitch

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hey y'all quick reminder that the new Sandman Slim book, Kill City Blues, came out last week, and it's just as gloriously poo poo as the last four and it rules.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Ok, that parahumans serial is very good.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Dickeye posted:

Hey y'all quick reminder that the new Sandman Slim book, Kill City Blues, came out last week, and it's just as gloriously poo poo as the last four and it rules.

Just finished slugging through Kill City Blues and yeah, it was pretty great. A little more "heavy" in tone than some of the previous ones, but for the most part was more of the same of what made the other ones fun.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Dietrich posted:

Ok, that parahumans serial is very good.

I'm just getting into it and am impressed so far for a "web serial".

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

Ornamented Death posted:

I just finished Kill City Blues and it was better than the last two books. Kadrey's prose isn't any better, but the story seemed more focused and moved along briskly (although the last part has never been a problem for this series). A few dangling plot threads were tied up and some more were introduced. It wasn't quite as good as the first two books, but it represents a definite upswing in quality.
Thanks for the review. I'll definitely pick it up once I'm done with my current pile of reading.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Just finished Broken Homes, and man, that was a crazy ending. I expected the FM to offer Leslie her face in exchange for turning traitor, but I certainly didn't expect it to have already been a done deal in this book. Overall I really liked this one, since the pace didn't flag to focus on cases unrelated to the FM storyline. One thing that is getting on my nerves though is how Aaronovich is willing to let people get away with poo poo. Take Stephen of the Quiet people for example. He is walking around freely, while Peter seems to have forgotten that this guy attempted to murder him, Reynlods and Kumar, not to mention endangering the lives of dozens of people in the platform collapse. Now this Russian lady is being treated as if she didnt help murder a whole bunch of people and try to kill Peter, Leslie and Nightingale.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Just a heads up, one of this month's kindle books on sale is the third (or fourth not certain) Sandman Slim book, Devil Said Bang. I've only read the first one, but I'm sure I'll pick this up now anyway. It's currently $2.99.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Another heads up, Codex Born, the sequel to Libriomancer, comes out tomorrow.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Crossposting from the FATE RPG thread, as its quasi-Jim Butcher relevant, in the hopes that there's some RPG goons hiding here:

Has anyone here seen or tried to make a Codex Alera hack to FATE? I just finished my re-read of the series (as a prelude to my reread of Dresden) and if nothing else I'd definitely want to get a working furycraft system in place, if not a full setting document covering Legions and all the various bad guys.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

HOLY poo poo!! Why didn't someone tell me about this sooner?!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mr.48 posted:

Just finished Broken Homes, and man, that was a crazy ending. I expected the FM to offer Leslie her face in exchange for turning traitor, but I certainly didn't expect it to have already been a done deal in this book. Overall I really liked this one, since the pace didn't flag to focus on cases unrelated to the FM storyline. One thing that is getting on my nerves though is how Aaronovich is willing to let people get away with poo poo. Take Stephen of the Quiet people for example. He is walking around freely, while Peter seems to have forgotten that this guy attempted to murder him, Reynlods and Kumar, not to mention endangering the lives of dozens of people in the platform collapse. Now this Russian lady is being treated as if she didnt help murder a whole bunch of people and try to kill Peter, Leslie and Nightingale.

Yeah, that's a thing. Thing is, the Russian is right: they don't have many options. They don't have the skilled manpower to imprison, they won't capital punish, so what else are they gonna do?

Plus, I think Peter's just a forgiving guy.

I'm going through the book for a second read and it's even more chilling on re-read. Think about how FM knows the locksmith tried to hock one of the books. Or the very first body in the book -- executed to hide an attempt at cosmetic work on her face.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

jivjov posted:

Crossposting from the FATE RPG thread, as its quasi-Jim Butcher relevant, in the hopes that there's some RPG goons hiding here:

Has anyone here seen or tried to make a Codex Alera hack to FATE? I just finished my re-read of the series (as a prelude to my reread of Dresden) and if nothing else I'd definitely want to get a working furycraft system in place, if not a full setting document covering Legions and all the various bad guys.

Remember the FATE Fractal. Everything can be worked up like a character.

Including Furies.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ConfusedUs posted:

Remember the FATE Fractal. Everything can be worked up like a character.

Including Furies.

Its less the furies themselves and more the mechanical representation of "Good grasp of metal and fire crafting, less so wood and water, can't do air or earth for beans." as well as "need good focus and willpower" and "can cause stress" interactions.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

jivjov posted:

Its less the furies themselves and more the mechanical representation of "Good grasp of metal and fire crafting, less so wood and water, can't do air or earth for beans." as well as "need good focus and willpower" and "can cause stress" interactions.

Allow them to take a Furycraft skill that grants a certain ability, then use Stunts to give others.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

ConfusedUs posted:

Allow them to take a Furycraft skill that grants a certain ability, then use Stunts to give others.

Yeah, something similar with what I did for Eberron dragonmarks

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ConfusedUs posted:

True; "everything can be a stunt" fits here. I guess Furycraft would just represent "Will-as-applied-to-Furies"

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Yeah, that's a thing. Thing is, the Russian is right: they don't have many options. They don't have the skilled manpower to imprison, they won't capital punish, so what else are they gonna do?

Plus, I think Peter's just a forgiving guy.

I'm going through the book for a second read and it's even more chilling on re-read. Think about how FM knows the locksmith tried to hock one of the books. Or the very first body in the book -- executed to hide an attempt at cosmetic work on her face.

They could probably get the rivers to lock up both them if they asked. Tyburn isn't a fan of the quiet people, so she probably wouldnt mind taking care of Stephen and I'm sure any of the other river gods would agree to take care of the witch considering what happened to that dryad. Also, Peter can be as forgiving as he likes, but letting a guy with a penchant for indiscriminate killing like Stephen walk around free is against everything Peter stands for as a policeman. If they're afraid that the rivers would just kill the witch they should hand her over to the Russians, instead of giving her a cushy house-arrest.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Ornamented Death posted:

I just finished libriomancer and kind of hated it. The whole dynamic/moral dilemma with Lena was old for me about 1/2 second after it was explained. And the ending was laugh out loud dumb.

It was a cool concept though.

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition

jivjov posted:

I just finished my re-read of the series (as a prelude to my reread of Dresden) and if nothing else I'd definitely want to get a working furycraft system in place, if not a full setting document covering Legions and all the various bad guys.

I do the exact same thing, listen to Alera, and then to Dresden, just about done with First Lords Fury, which while still good really is the 4th best book in the series, and then to pull my teeth through SF and FM and straight on through to CD, which will I hope if I pace it right take me to the next one. November right?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Virigoth posted:

I'm just getting into it and am impressed so far for a "web serial".

Wormverse chat:

I think the author has done a very good job of placing interludes over the course of the work. Initially I was frustrated by them because I just wanted more focus on Taylor/Skitter. As the world expanded I found myself almost looking forward to interludes over the Taylor-centric episodes. Wildbow has apologized in the comments section before about episodes that don't move the plot forward, but my two favorite episodes are both interludes (http://parahumans.wordpress.com/2012/10/13, with Legend and http://parahumans.wordpress.com/2013/03/16, the forums post format, if anyone cares).

I suspect that Wildbow has a list somewhere of every character's PRT classification(s) and how the PRT assigns classifications, just like Robert Jordan supposedly had every Aes Sedai placed on a 24-point scale that marked their ability to use saidar. Might be fun to see that at some point, but she has a lot more freedom with powers and such as long as she keeps the list(s) secret.

Edit: As long as I'm geeking out, one of my favorite things about the series is that (I don't remember where this becomes explicit, so I can't really label the spoiler) the story takes place on Earth-bet, but there are characters from Earth-aleph (our world) wandering around trying to get used to the fact that the Twin Towers never fell or that there's no such thing as pennies any more. It's one of those little world-building details that I picked up on and appreciated.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 6, 2013

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Mr.48 posted:

They could probably get the rivers to lock up both them if they asked. Tyburn isn't a fan of the quiet people, so she probably wouldnt mind taking care of Stephen and I'm sure any of the other river gods would agree to take care of the witch considering what happened to that dryad. Also, Peter can be as forgiving as he likes, but letting a guy with a penchant for indiscriminate killing like Stephen walk around free is against everything Peter stands for as a policeman. If they're afraid that the rivers would just kill the witch they should hand her over to the Russians, instead of giving her a cushy house-arrest.

Stephen doesn't have a penchant for indiscriminate killing. He hasn't killed anyone that we know of, and what he did when Peter and the rest were after him was self defense. Give the dude a loving break.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

The talk about the Anita Blake series earlier got me thinking: Is there any series as weird and sex/romance-heavy like this, with a male protagonist ?

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

SageSepth posted:

I do the exact same thing, listen to Alera, and then to Dresden, just about done with First Lords Fury, which while still good really is the 4th best book in the series, and then to pull my teeth through SF and FM and straight on through to CD, which will I hope if I pace it right take me to the next one. November right?

No, next year some time.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

MonikaTSarn posted:

The talk about the Anita Blake series earlier got me thinking: Is there any series as weird and sex/romance-heavy like this, with a male protagonist ?

The Peter Octavian/Shadow Saga series by Christopher Golden. In the very first book in the series you vampires with basically limitless power, fighting demons from hell and loving everything in sight.

Here is the first book: http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-saga-1-saints-shadows/dp/0441005705/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

They're terrible, but not as bad as Iron Druid.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Aug 6, 2013

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Just finished slugging through Kill City Blues and yeah, it was pretty great. A little more "heavy" in tone than some of the previous ones, but for the most part was more of the same of what made the other ones fun.

Oh my god go listen to the audiobook. It is exactly what a Sandman Slim audiobook should be: Gloriously over-the-top "edgy" and trying way too goddamn hard and failing. It's amazing. I swear to god this whole series is performance art and Kadrey is in on the joke.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Just finished The Codex Alera and I have a question. At one point in First Lord's Fury Attis is lying on his death bed talking with Amera and she asks him for something and Attis agrees. What was she asking him for?

It's the typical Butcher "Tell me what you're going to do". Then I told him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

CyberLord XP posted:

Just finished The Codex Alera and I have a question. At one point in First Lord's Fury Attis is lying on his death bed talking with Amera and she asks him for something and Attis agrees. What was she asking him for?

It's the typical Butcher "Tell me what you're going to do". Then I told him.

I think she asked him to allow her to take all of the mercenaries with her and the high lords/ladies going on the suicide mission against the Vord Queen (ostensibly to rescue Isana while the really high powered people kept the Queen busy).

• Locked thread