Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
drat it. I preordered EU4 from Gamersgate via Moneybookers two days ago. My bank account got billed, but Gamersgate gave me an error of payment being failed. The order is still pending and I haven't got the game.

Are these things common and how long they take to resolve? I mailed Gamersgate immediately.

I kind of feel this thing is urgent, because Paradox has said only preordered EU4 copies will get the converter. I want this purchase to be complete before EU4 is released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I'm currently playing my perhaps most interesting game of CK2 ever, in preparation for a conversion to EU4. Starting in the 9th century, I've led the Saffarid dynasty to restore the Persian empire. More interestingly, I've converted most of the pagans to Islam, and I'll probably spend the remaining 200 years doing the same to most of western Europe.

Most of the vanilla EU4 nations exist (Poland, Lithuania, France, HRE, etc), so I wonder whether their normal events and decisions will work when they are muslim. That would be pretty cool.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
In EU3 is there any way to make national manpower regenerate faster? It's not the same thing as 'reinforce speed', right?

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

fuf posted:

In EU3 is there any way to make national manpower regenerate faster? It's not the same thing as 'reinforce speed', right?

You regenerate about 0.8% of your max manpower per month (so you'll get it all back in 10 years), so get more manpower. Either conquer stuff, or build military buildings that give bonus manpower. If you're really hurting, you can move your sliders towards Quantity to get more dudes, but that will also make each dude less capable so it's probably not a good idea.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Rurik posted:

drat it. I preordered EU4 from Gamersgate via Moneybookers two days ago. My bank account got billed, but Gamersgate gave me an error of payment being failed. The order is still pending and I haven't got the game.

Are these things common and how long they take to resolve? I mailed Gamersgate immediately.

I kind of feel this thing is urgent, because Paradox has said only preordered EU4 copies will get the converter. I want this purchase to be complete before EU4 is released.

Well, seeing as how you e-mailed them over the weekend, of course they haven't responded yet :v:. They generally get back to me within a day.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Beamed posted:

Well, seeing as how you e-mailed them over the weekend, of course they haven't responded yet :v:. They generally get back to me within a day.

Most of the working day has passed however. :v: But you are right. I'm just a little nervous since EU4 release is so close already and I want the converter.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Rurik posted:

Most of the working day has passed however. :v: But you are right. I'm just a little nervous since EU4 release is so close already and I want the converter.

You have over a week, I'm sure it will be fine. :)

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

RabidWeasel posted:

I think all the "alt history is only good when it involves white people!" guys died out or at least learned to shut up about it.
Uh, that's not why (reasonable) people criticized it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

fuf posted:

You regenerate 10% of your max each year, so the only way to make it faster is to have more of it. The National Conscripts idea is actually good now that MP is so precious. Also in general just be more careful with how you spend it, so try to avoid costly battles and attrition, and don't go to war unless you're close to full.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control
EU4 drops in a week (ok, 8 days) and no news of the demo yet :ohdear:. Hopefully someone didn't "gently caress up" as johan put it. I like CK2 and I play it sometimes, but man, too many bloody civil wars when I unite half of Europe into a single empire with many kingdoms, all under rulers of my dynasty in my supreme empire. I just want to blob, drat it. I can't bring myself to play EU3 when I need that paradox-empire building fix with EU4 so soon.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

rhazes posted:

EU4 drops in a week (ok, 8 days) and no news of the demo yet :ohdear:. Hopefully someone didn't "gently caress up" as johan put it. I like CK2 and I play it sometimes, but man, too many bloody civil wars when I unite half of Europe into a single empire with many kingdoms, all under rulers of my dynasty in my supreme empire. I just want to blob, drat it. I can't bring myself to play EU3 when I need that paradox-empire building fix with EU4 so soon.

I think they said the end of this week in that stream, not last week.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Tomn posted:

You know, come to think of it, given all the whining on the Paradox forums when Sunset Invasion came out, is there any more whining on there now that EU4 will feature wildly ahistorical Aztecs/Incan empires (if you converted from Sunset)?
I hope not. Sunset invasion was pretty baller and I want to see more structured ahistorical stuff.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Dibujante posted:

I hope not. Sunset invasion was pretty baller and I want to see more structured ahistorical stuff.

Check out the Randomized New World thread. People are.. not receptive to the idea of ahistorical stuff.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Beamed posted:

Check out the Randomized New World thread. People are.. not receptive to the idea of ahistorical stuff.

Specifically, a vocal minority on our forums are not receptive to ahistorical stuff.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Wiz posted:

Specifically, a vocal minority on our forums are not receptive to ahistorical stuff.

Yes, this is more accurate, sorry.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Wiz posted:

This kind of boggles my mind in reference to a Paradox game, though. What, do they blow a gasket if Europe doesn't look exactly like the way it did in 1400 every time they finish CK2? :psyduck:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I enjoy Paradox setting up the world historically and leaving it to me and the AI to make a huge mess of it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Wiz posted:

That's a Paradox Development Studio "our", not SomethingAwful "our".

Don't forget us Wiz :qq:

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

New Developer Diary is out! Lots of info:

Johan posted:

The game will go live at 9AM EST, which is about 15.00 in the afternoon Swedish time. (on the 13th of August)

Demo will be released at the end of this week if the Gods smile upon us.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Did the Mac version of ck2 have a launcher? I know that the Linux version didn't have one and its total nonsense. I hope EU4 doesn't follow suit on this very important feature being absent.

BodineWilson
Dec 21, 2009

Baloogan posted:

The paradox forums are filled with europeans who live in countries on the wrong side of history.

It should balance out with the other half that live on the 'correct' side, though.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

YouTuber posted:

Did the Mac version of ck2 have a launcher? I know that the Linux version didn't have one and its total nonsense. I hope EU4 doesn't follow suit on this very important feature being absent.

Yes, the mac version has the normal launcher.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Kainser posted:

I was more sarcastically referring to the fact that people seem to be generally fine with balls-out crazy implausible absurdity as long as it involves Vikings/Byzantines/crusaders/etc. but Sunset Invasion had the vocal minority up in arms.

BodineWilson
Dec 21, 2009

Kainser posted:

I'm not familiar with the Drama behind this. Why did the reasonable people criticize it?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
A lot of people don't like it from a gameplay perspective because it just dumps a bunch of doomstacks on the west coast and says have fun. There's no real challenge to it if you get hit by the aztecs, you just either game the system or die.

That's a legitimate criticism even if I don't necessarily agree it's a deal breaker.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

RagnarokAngel posted:

A lot of people don't like it from a gameplay perspective because it just dumps a bunch of doomstacks on the west coast and says have fun. There's no real challenge to it if you get hit by the aztecs, you just either game the system or die.

That's a legitimate criticism even if I don't necessarily agree it's a deal breaker.

Yeah, hordes are a terrible game mechanic. The only reason they're even vaguely acceptable in the east is that they're historical.

Not that the Aztecs are actually all that formidable, as hordes go.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

DrSunshine posted:

This kind of boggles my mind in reference to a Paradox game, though. What, do they blow a gasket if Europe doesn't look exactly like the way it did in 1400 every time they finish CK2? :psyduck:

When EUIII was new there was an EUII crew who felt like that. Although, in fairness, EUIII has come a long, long way, and some of the release complaints were pretty fair.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

When EUIII was new there was an EUII crew who felt like that. Although, in fairness, EUIII has come a long, long way, and some of the release complaints were pretty fair.

On the other hand, have you played with Historical Anything on?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Beamed posted:

Historical Lucky Nations is ok. Not like Random will change much.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

Randomized New World is radically ahistorical though. Also having one major landmass looking completely different from reality with the other looking the same kind of flies in the face of geology. I really don't see the appeal of it in a paradox game. If I wanted random land masses I'd play Civ.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Beamed posted:

Good Lord, no.

Fister Roboto posted:

Randomized New World is radically ahistorical though. Also having one major landmass looking completely different from reality with the other looking the same kind of flies in the face of geology. I really don't see the appeal of it in a paradox game. If I wanted random land masses I'd play Civ.

The big appeal is the very historical sense of discovery. That you don't know what is out there. In the vanilla game you know exactly where the Aztec Gold, New England colonies, and rich Caribbean are. You know there is no point in looking for a northwest passage. You know exactly what you're going to find and exactly where it is every. single. time.

Randomized new world throws that all on its head and makes exploration and discovery way more fun. I had some cool EUIII games using the fan made randomized new world utility, and if it became an official (obviously optional) EUIV DLC I would be ~happy forever~. :dance:

(Please do this Paradox.)

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

The big appeal is the very historical sense of discovery. That you don't know what is out there. In the vanilla game you know exactly where the Aztec Gold, New England colonies, and rich Caribbean are. You know there is no point in looking for a northwest passage. You know exactly what you're going to find and exactly where it is every. single. time.

Randomized new world throws that all on its head and makes exploration and discovery way more fun. I had some cool EUIII games using the fan made randomized new world utility, and if it became an official (obviously optional) EUIV DLC I would be ~happy forever~. :dance:

(Please do this Paradox.)

All of my this.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Yeah the idea has been kicked around quite a few times, I gotta believe it's at least a heavy consideration nowadays.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Autonomous Monster posted:

Yeah, hordes are a terrible game mechanic. The only reason they're even vaguely acceptable in the east is that they're historical.

Not that the Aztecs are actually all that formidable, as hordes go.
People found hordes to be a very unbalanced game mechanic in real life too, IIRC.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Dibujante posted:

People found hordes to be a very unbalanced game mechanic in real life too, IIRC.

Fun before realism. Remember it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Its kind of funny to complain about Paradox games being Eurocentric and then to also want to swap out the Americas entirely with some kind of fantasy land.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

The Nozzle posted:

Its kind of funny to complain about Paradox games being Eurocentric and then to also want to swap out the Americas entirely with some kind of fantasy land.

Nah. You can want the rest of the world to be represented in more detail while still enjoying a totally optional extra gameplay mode that emphasizes the "discovery" of the Americas from a European point of view. I mean, unless you're actively looking for something to be uptight about. :colbert:

An entirely randomized world would be kinda fun too. I played a few of those too. A historical Old World with a random New is a fun middle ground, though.

Of course there needs to be a chance that the native American states spawn as significantly more powerful and technologically advanced then Europe (ala Sunset Invasion) and in those games perhaps they discover Europe around 1460, and you wish they hadn't...

I'd also have the generator make a mod so it could randomly throw in lots of extra native states that don't exist in vanilla, if the New World randomly has a denser population.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

Nah. You can want the rest of the world to be represented in more detail while still enjoying a totally optional extra gameplay mode that emphasizes the "discovery" of the Americas from a European point of view. I mean, unless you're actively looking for something to be uptight about. :colbert:

An entirely randomized world would be kinda fun too. I played a few of those too. A historical Old World with a random New is a fun middle ground, though.

Of course there needs to be a chance that the native American states spawn as significantly more powerful and technologically advanced then Europe (ala Sunset Invasion) and in those games perhaps they discover Europe around 1460, and you wish they hadn't...

I'd also have the generator make a mod so it could randomly throw in lots of extra native states that don't exist in vanilla, if the New World randomly has a denser population.

Optimally, Paradox would allow you to specify which landmasses would be randomly generated: Let's say America, Africa, Europe, the Middle East, India, Siberia, the Far East, and Oceania. Oh god, that would be wonderful.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Beamed posted:

Optimally, Paradox would allow you to specify which landmasses would be randomly generated: Let's say America, Africa, Europe, the Middle East, India, Siberia, the Far East, and Oceania. Oh god, that would be wonderful.

Yep, it would. Add in a "hidden" option, too, so your don't know what will be historical or not.

Realistically, though, breaking up existent continents would probably be much trickier than just the options of random Nee World or totally random. Having the Americas separated from the Old World by big oceans make it easy to do the transition from random to non random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Decided to get a Roman Empire CK2 game ready to convert and ended up taking over almost every county on the map and have over a million levy's. There is still around 200 years of game left. I don't think that will be very fun to play in EU4. Will probably convert it anyway just to see what it is like. Wonder if Byzantium DLC will work for Rome too.

• Locked thread