Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
We could, but that would be inaccurate. TFTP was originally for small files, 32MB was a limit not too long ago, but that limit can be exceeded by using pumpkin as your server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Powercrazy posted:

We could, but that would be inaccurate. TFTP was originally for small files, 32MB was a limit not too long ago, but that limit can be exceeded by using pumpkin as your server.

RFC 2347 is from 1998, so a while ago

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ragzilla posted:

RFC 2347 is from 1998, so a while ago

Heh. The fast paced world of networking.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I was using a server that could support 4G (SolarWinds), but apparently the TFTP client in the IOS image running on all of our switches is capped at 16.

Judging from what I've seen on support forum posts, 15.0 can handle up to 32 megs.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

psydude posted:

I was using a server that could support 4G (SolarWinds), but apparently the TFTP client in the IOS image running on all of our switches is capped at 16.

Judging from what I've seen on support forum posts, 15.0 can handle up to 32 megs.

I regularly push around 100MB+ images with 12.2SR code, heck my old 7500 images are 20MB which we pushed around with TFTP. Are you sure you aren't filling your flash?

Gap In The Tooth
Aug 16, 2004
What irks me about TFTP when copying IOS images is the sub 100k transfer speeds via ethernet. Maybe the flash bus is the bottleneck but that makes it no less annoying.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ragzilla posted:

I regularly push around 100MB+ images with 12.2SR code, heck my old 7500 images are 20MB which we pushed around with TFTP. Are you sure you aren't filling your flash?

This was 12.2 on a 3560. I was able to get the image for 15.0 over via FTP no problem.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Gap In The Tooth posted:

What irks me about TFTP when copying IOS images is the sub 100k transfer speeds via ethernet. Maybe the flash bus is the bottleneck but that makes it no less annoying.

TFTP's a big bottleneck, the guys who make RANCID also have a lightweight RCP daemon which is much better transfer speeds and a similar (ie, none) security model to TFTP, useful as a drop-in replacement if you don't/can't use ssh/http/ftp.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

routenull0 posted:

I was involved a bit in the bake off for DCB deployment for DoD between QFabric / Nexus / Brocade........was fun.

How did Brocade fare in this? We're looking at their VDX line for one of our datacenters.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

FatCow posted:

How did Brocade fare in this? We're looking at their VDX line for one of our datacenters.

I have about 16 VDX's deployed, but they just do straight L2 work. Decent gear.

RE: TFTP

Guys, we have SCP and HTTP/HTTPS transfer now on IOS.....

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

routenull0 posted:

RE: TFTP

Guys, we have SCP and HTTP/HTTPS transfer now on IOS.....
Unless you're stuck with ciscoworks (pity me).

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

ruro posted:

Unless you're stuck with ciscoworks (pity me).

Script it with something else?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

DoS doesn't like Linux (it's open source! people could hack it!) or Unix. And I'm not allowed to install an RCP server on Windows for whatever reason.

So yeah, I'm basically limited to s/ftp and tftp.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Gap In The Tooth posted:

Makes you appreciate TCP and the sliding window eh?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

psydude posted:

DoS doesn't like Linux (it's open source! people could hack it!) or Unix. And I'm not allowed to install an RCP server on Windows for whatever reason.

So yeah, I'm basically limited to s/ftp and tftp.

What guidelines does DoS use for equipment / OS hardening?

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

routenull0 posted:

I was involved a bit in the bake off for DCB deployment for DoD between QFabric / Nexus / Brocade........was fun.

Could you talk about what worked out and some of the "whys" ?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

1000101 posted:

Could you talk about what worked out and some of the "whys" ?

Not that the moment as I am bound by a few agreements, but when that is all over, I'll put up some things.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Can anyone confirm that BFD works in VRRP for IOS-XE 3.x? I can't enable BFD globally right now on our ASR in the lab so I can't get the subcommand to pop up.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm going to assume that IOX has feature parity with the 6500, thus it will work. Or rather I can't see why it wouldn't.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
So after getting my CCNA and updating my Linkedin I've been getting some really really good job offers.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Sounds like it's time to go job hunting. It is hard to find quality engineers right now, the world is your oyster as long as your competent.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Sepist posted:

Sounds like it's time to go job hunting. It is hard to find quality engineers right now, the world is your oyster as long as your competent.

I'm at the point where I can get a good Core network up and running and managed and I have the competence/skill set to research what I may need to add on top of it.

Also I have no qualms with asking for help when it comes to it. :P

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Also I have no qualms with asking Google for help when it comes to it. :P

Pretty much all you need.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Hmm, random question. Can I turn the interfaces of an ASA into switchports? I'm running an ASA5520 as a firewall/NAT boundry between publics address space and my internal network. I have 4 interfaces Gig0/0 - Gig0/3 Gig 0/3 is currently on my public /24. Is there a way I can plug some hosts into one of those other interfaces and give it a public IP address?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
From what I understand it works just like any other l2 interface works. As long as there is an SVI with a public IP address on it, you should be able to switchport access vlan # on the interface in question to fix your problem.

Unless it's different for that particular model/OS.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
On a 5505 you would use switchport trunk, but on anything higher you need to make use of subinterfaces.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

So after getting my CCNA and updating my Linkedin I've been getting some really really good job offers.

Must be nice. I added my CCNA and got bupkis.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Syano posted:

Must be nice. I added my CCNA and got bupkis.

Is your linkedin profile filled out to 100% (see the thread in BFC)? I'd get jack poo poo from recruiters no matter what I put on my profile, til one day I finally uploaded a photo. Then bam, multiple emails per week. If your profile isn't complete you basically don't show up in search results.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Subinterfaces would work for hosts that understand trunking. I want to plug in a normal host configured with an address of say 7.7.7.20/24 where the ASA has an address of 7.7.7.1/24.

If the ASA was a switch I'd do this:

int vlan 100
ip address 7.7.7.1 255.255.255.0

int gig0/2
switchport
switchport access vlan 100

How do I do this on an ASA?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
interface e0/0 (whatever the interface is)
nameif whatever
ip address 7.7.7.1 255.255.255.0

Just think of ASA's 5510+ as routers with a firewall module, makes things easier. 5505's are L3 switches.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
So if they are routers, then can I created a BVI?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Introduced in 8.4 code:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa84/configuration/guide/interface_complete_transparent.html#wp1382356

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Looks like I can only do what I want with a dedicated switch :/

I'm so limited on my switch ports. The poor closet switch only has like 4 left. What a mess.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

This is why you run away from ASA and into the warm embrace of a Palo Alto, where you can do bonkers stuff, like run vwires, tap, layer-2, and layer-3 interfaces all at the same time and across separate virtual systems.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Docjowles posted:

Is your linkedin profile filled out to 100% (see the thread in BFC)? I'd get jack poo poo from recruiters no matter what I put on my profile, til one day I finally uploaded a photo. Then bam, multiple emails per week. If your profile isn't complete you basically don't show up in search results.

Well there you go... off to take a picture!

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
LinkedIn definitely requires a picture*

*If you're white

My boss told me I am smiling way too hard in my linkedin picture :[

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

jwh posted:

This is why you run away from ASA and into the warm embrace of a Palo Alto, where you can do bonkers stuff, like run vwires, tap, layer-2, and layer-3 interfaces all at the same time and across separate virtual systems.

Haha. I'd love to, but alas we are a "100% Cisco shop" including Cisco WorksPrime, ACE, NCS, and MSE :eng99:

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I found out the other day you can't attack secondary addresses to ASA interfaces. At least, not 'really'. You have to add bunch of arp and route hackery. It's like Cisco is determined to make my life miserable.

World z0r Z
May 26, 2013

Powercrazy posted:

Haha. I'd love to, but alas we are a "100% Cisco shop" including Cisco WorksPrime, ACE, NCS, and MSE :eng99:

ungh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

Powercrazy posted:

I feel your pain. I've only just convinced management that we should migrate to F5 from ACE.