Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really liked the movie Chronicle but I can't stand the last 10 minutes or so. The main character just flies around screaming " ANDREW ANDREW NO ANDREW DONT ANDREW ANDREW NO NO NO DONT DO THAT ANDREW ANDREW PLEASE THIS ISN'T YOU ANDREW STOP PLEASE ANDREW NO NO ANDREW ANDREWWWWWW NO ANDREW STOP ANDREW DONT"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, Chronicle was a really good movie but it kinda falls apart at the very end. I did like what they did with using footage from all kinds of different camera sources to take the whole 'found footage' thing to the next level but it was kind of annoying how they had to keep making convenient excuses for there to be other cameras. (especially when the two main characters end up with like a dozen of them hovering around creating cinematic angles, which kinda defeats the point)

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

MisterBibs posted:

But the castle and its machinery are covered in cobwebs, suggesting inactivity :colbert:

(I thought the same at first)
We don't see the room with the cookie machine, smart guy. It's probably the one pristine portion left.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I really liked the movie Chronicle but I can't stand the last 10 minutes or so. The main character just flies around screaming " ANDREW ANDREW NO ANDREW DONT ANDREW ANDREW NO NO NO DONT DO THAT ANDREW ANDREW PLEASE THIS ISN'T YOU ANDREW STOP PLEASE ANDREW NO NO ANDREW ANDREWWWWWW NO ANDREW STOP ANDREW DONT"

Blame Akira, which is what Chronicle is lovingly referring to or ripping off, depending on your viewpoint.

That movie was awesome, it's what Anakin's arc in the Star Wars Prequels should have been.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sagebrush posted:

I am irrationally irritated that in BTTF3 the Doc, who has been repeatedly shown to be an incredible genius inventor and a master of creating jerry-rigged solutions to problems, just pours a bottle of whiskey into the De Lorean's gas tank and then acts surprised when it doesn't work. The dude built a working refrigerator out of equipment available on the frontier in 1885...surely he can handle distilling some whiskey into pure enough ethanol to run an engine, and making the minor conversions to the fuel injectors that would be required.

Why are you not rationally irritated that in BTTF3 Doc even tries to fuel the De Lorean with ethanol, when by the end of BTTF he'd converted it to fusion power?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Why are you not rationally irritated that in BTTF3 Doc even tries to fuel the De Lorean with ethanol, when by the end of BTTF he'd converted it to fusion power?

They made it quite (no I'm kidding, not at all) clear that Mr. Fusion was for the time coils but the engine ran on regular gasoline much unlike what was implied by the previous two movies.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

Jedit posted:

"Doc Brown posted:

Mr. Fusion powers the time circuits and the flux capacitor, but the internal combustion engine runs on ordinary gasoline. It always has.

That's why.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Yeah, Mr. Fusion removed the need for the plutonium which practically got him killed. The car itself still needs to get to 88mph.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

KoB posted:

Yeah, Mr. Fusion removed the need for the plutonium which practically got him killed. The car itself still needs to get to 88mph.

But it does not need roads.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

But it does not need roads.

The lightning strike fried the flying circuits.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I feel like Robert Zemeckis saw the "Don't worry about the rules of time travel and just relax" scene from Looper and suffered a profound sense of regret for not including it in BTTF.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

WampaLord posted:

I feel like Robert Zemeckis saw the "Don't worry about the rules of time travel and just relax" scene from Looper and suffered a profound sense of regret for not including it in BTTF.
Nah, I quite prefer the way Zemeckis did it. Looper was just annoying.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Nah, I quite prefer the way Zemeckis did it. Looper was just annoying.

Regarding Looper:

I know that you have to ignore certain things or there's no movie and all that but if they wanted us to believe the criminals of the future had to go through the hassle of Loopers instead of just strangling guys and sending their bodies back to the past to rot, they could've at least not shown the guys casually offing Bruce Willis's wife. Plus it had one of my most irrational time travel movie annoyances, having something happen to a past version of someone/something that then suddenly happens out of nowhere to the future version.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Sagebrush posted:

I am irrationally irritated that in BTTF3 the Doc, who has been repeatedly shown to be an incredible genius inventor and a master of creating jerry-rigged solutions to problems, just pours a bottle of whiskey into the De Lorean's gas tank and then acts surprised when it doesn't work. The dude built a working refrigerator out of equipment available on the frontier in 1885...surely he can handle distilling some whiskey into pure enough ethanol to run an engine, and making the minor conversions to the fuel injectors that would be required.

He was getting killed in three days. He didn't have the luxury of time. Had he months to work with, he probably could have concocted a miniature refinery of sorts in his lab/shop and created a close-enough analogue of gasoline from whatever oil he could get.

Also, keep in mind he had to get the car to 88 MPH. Even with distilling the ethanol down, and modifying the fuel injector (could you even do that with 19th century tech? If it was a carburetor, I'd say sure, but a fuel injector?) there's no WAY the engine would run smooth enough to get it to that speed. Hell, even with making his own gasoline there's no way he'd reach 88. I doubt he'd have any way to reliably measure the octane, so it would all be a mixture of guesswork, and trial and error by putting it in the car and seeing what happens.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Coffee And Pie posted:

I wanna know why they all wear dorky-looking PVC and leather.
Because Lana's into fetishy type things, probably.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Strudel Man posted:

We don't see the room with the cookie machine, smart guy. It's probably the one pristine portion left.

I wish I had read this when I had it playing a second time last night while doing other tasks, but I'm pretty sure at the end when Ryder grabs a Scissorhand, you see the cookie machine stuff in disrepair. But I can kinda buy that :)

DrBouvenstein posted:

He was getting killed in three days. He didn't have the luxury of time. Had he months to work with, he probably could have concocted a miniature refinery of sorts in his lab/shop and created a close-enough analogue of gasoline from whatever oil he could get.

I can't remember where I read it, but I recall some historian saying that there were oil refineries at the time, and that gasoline was regularly produced (inadvertently). They had no need for it, so they'd basically toss it. Brown could have gone to one of those refineries and asked for a bunch of that 'useless' gasoline. But the obvious things arise: poor quality gas, car might not work right with it, Doc was gonna be shot, no plot without a conflict, etc.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

It was a byproduct of making kerosene I think.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

DrBouvenstein posted:

Also, keep in mind he had to get the car to 88 MPH. Even with distilling the ethanol down, and modifying the fuel injector (could you even do that with 19th century tech? If it was a carburetor, I'd say sure, but a fuel injector?) there's no WAY the engine would run smooth enough to get it to that speed. Hell, even with making his own gasoline there's no way he'd reach 88. I doubt he'd have any way to reliably measure the octane, so it would all be a mixture of guesswork, and trial and error by putting it in the car and seeing what happens.

Plus there's still the distance and terrain issues. The DeLorean was a sloth on good gas, it would take forever to get it up to 90 on home made petrol and he'd have to do it without any roads.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
If Biff got arrested for a stagecoach robbery, what about Doc and Marty in 1885 with the train robbery.

Even under a mask, Doc would likely be recognizable a bunch at any investigation for the crime with his hair, voice and choice of words to the witnesses if the local law did an investigation. Even more so by 'Eastwood' dying in the train theft and his known association with Doc over the last several days.

Marty gets back to 1885, finds old newspaper headline in the library: "Mad Dog Kills Behind bars!", about how Doc was murdered in his cell later that evening by his bunkmate, Tannen.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Synonamess Botch posted:

Plus there's still the distance and terrain issues. The DeLorean was a sloth on good gas, it would take forever to get it up to 90 on home made petrol and he'd have to do it without any roads.

I thought the use of a DeLorean as the time machine was partially done as a joke in the first place: a regular DeLorean on regular gasoline would never make it to 90 on its own, much less any of the materials put on the car to make it time travel.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It is a joke, hence the frequent breakdowns and Marty's initial reaction to seeing the car.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

Basically all gas engines will run perfectly fine on ethanol with very minor modifications. You need to make the fuel injector nozzles (or carburetor jets) 40% larger than stock because ethanol requires a different ratio of air to fuel to burn properly, and if you're doing a long-term conversion you have to replace some seals that will rot out faster from the alcohol (not an issue if you just need to get to 88mph once). You don't need to worry about octane because pure ethanol has an octane-equivalent of 110 (and the Doc would have known this), which is much higher than the De Lorean requires.

You don't even need pure ethanol, which can only be obtained through fractional crystallization; the ~96% azeotropic mixture is fine, and you can get that with any old copper bootlegger's still. The jets can be enlarged with a little drill bit. Super easy even in 1885.

:spergin:

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Strudel Man posted:

If I recall correctly, the flashbacks indicate that another one of his inventor's creations was a cookie-making machine. He clearly was eating cookies.

Page back or whatever, but wait: Edward Scissor-Hands was an invention? Like, some sort of Frankenstein's-Monster thing? Admittedly I probably haven't seen that movie in close to two decades, but I guess I always thought he was some sort of tragic horror, like a kid that got brutally experimented on, mangled by some mad, sick rich guy or something, had his hands chopped off and replaced with scissors. Probably killed his tormentor eventually, then didn't know what to do with himself, having been so traumatically psychologically scarred by his horrific upbringing.

Was that movie just a lot less dark than I've always interpreted it?

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

Dead Blue Sky posted:

A tiny little thing in Miracle is stuck in my craw. Coach Brooks is trying to get his team fired up and says "...like a throw away game up in Rochester." Rochester is in southern Minnesota. Unless you are from Albert Lea, Rochester is never "up".

From a few pages back, but thank you. It's a throwaway line unless you're from around here, and then it completely beaks the 4th wall.

I am not a book has a new favorite as of 04:27 on Aug 6, 2013

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Theglavwen posted:

Page back or whatever, but wait: Edward Scissor-Hands was an invention? Like, some sort of Frankenstein's-Monster thing? Admittedly I probably haven't seen that movie in close to two decades, but I guess I always thought he was some sort of tragic horror, like a kid that got brutally experimented on, mangled by some mad, sick rich guy or something, had his hands chopped off and replaced with scissors. Probably killed his tormentor eventually, then didn't know what to do with himself, having been so traumatically psychologically scarred by his horrific upbringing.

Was that movie just a lot less dark than I've always interpreted it?

Wikipedia posted:

One evening, an elderly woman tells her granddaughter a bedtime story of where snow comes from, by telling her the story of a young man named Edward (Johnny Depp), who has scissors for hands, the creation of an old Inventor (Vincent Price). The Inventor's final result was a humanlike young boy who had everything except for hands, but the Inventor suffered a heart attack and died while in the act of giving a pair of real hands to Edward, leaving him "unfinished" forever.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Theglavwen posted:

Page back or whatever, but wait: Edward Scissor-Hands was an invention? Like, some sort of Frankenstein's-Monster thing?

In one of the flashbacks, there's a book with a series of diagrams that lightly touch on what Edward was. The basic progression was:

• Scissorhands Robot
  • Scissorhands Robot With Human Legs
  • EdwardIs With Organicish Body
  • Edward Pretty Much Human, Minus Hands
  • Edward as a Total Human

The Inventor died before the last step. It's funny, I'm pretty sure I saw a different version of the Inventor's Death as a kid, because I remember thinking that Edward accidentally destroyed his New Hands and that caused the Inventor to die of shock.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

The Inventor died before the last step. It's funny, I'm pretty sure I saw a different version of the Inventor's Death as a kid, because I remember thinking that Edward accidentally destroyed his New Hands and that caused the Inventor to die of shock.

Naw, as the Inventor was showing Edward how awesome those hands were, he died. Edward, attempting to hold onto his intended hands, cuts them into a million terrible pieces.

Kind Milkman
Sep 3, 2011

Indeed.

MisterBibs posted:

In one of the flashbacks, there's a book with a series of diagrams that lightly touch on what Edward was. The basic progression was:

• Scissorhands Robot
  • Scissorhands Robot With Human Legs
  • EdwardIs With Organicish Body
  • Edward Pretty Much Human, Minus Hands
  • Edward as a Total Human

I always assumed the prototype for the scissorhands robot was the cookie maker. It did have scissors involved as I recall, and a large heart stamped on the chest, which is a major theme in the movie.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

LeJackal posted:

Naw, as the Inventor was showing Edward how awesome those hands were, he died. Edward, attempting to hold onto his intended hands, cuts them into a million terrible pieces.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that I saw a edited-for-content version when I was younger, because in my memory it went something like this: Gets hands, Edward cuts them, Inventer frowns, falls down. It wasn't until watching it recently that I saw a bit in there where Edward tried to touch his father's face.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

MisterBibs posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that I saw a edited-for-content version when I was younger,

One thing from the pre-DVD era is some of the times when a movie would play on TV and they'd have to edit for content to take stuff out, it'd occasionally work the opposite way and they'd reedit and add extra footage, too, to fill out a 2-3 hour run-time with commercial breaks and so on. Since DVD and Youtube, most of this stuff is pretty much easily available for you to see anyway, either reinserted as a director's cut or in deleted scenes and the novelty isn't that big a deal, anymore.

I have to admit, I had a certain fondness for watching some TV cuts of films for that reason, though.

For a long time, Superman 2's TV edit that showed on ABC showed back in the 80s was the only place where some additional scenes were included, for example.

I think Universal (?) movies when airing on basic cable or TV added quite a bit, too.

I still remember Problem Child 1 or 2, Repo Man and Army of Darkness on TV actually offering up a few new scenes and dialogue that weren't in theatrical or home video releases.

Finally, infamous ABC edit of Mallrats where just so much dialogue was edited that it was like watching a whole new satire of a comedy.

For those who never saw it, I think a good example of a change early on is Brody's discussion of "I farted in front of her once... She was going down on me at the time," being changed to, "I vomited in front of her once... She was going out with me at the time."

I sort of like to imagine some family sitting around in the late 90s, watching that on TV, thinking it safe family film, then renting the R-rated version and being totally surprised. In fact, I think Repo Man and Mallrats both eventually released home video versions with their TV edit dubs due to fans finding them so funny.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

One thing from the pre-DVD era is some of the times when a movie would play on TV and they'd have to edit for content to take stuff out, it'd occasionally work the opposite way and they'd reedit and add extra footage, too, to fill out a 2-3 hour run-time with commercial breaks and so on. Since DVD and Youtube, most of this stuff is pretty much easily available for you to see anyway, either reinserted as a director's cut or in deleted scenes and the novelty isn't that big a deal, anymore.

I have to admit, I had a certain fondness for watching some TV cuts of films for that reason, though.

For a long time, Superman 2's TV edit that showed on ABC showed back in the 80s was the only place where some additional scenes were included, for example.

I think Universal (?) movies when airing on basic cable or TV added quite a bit, too.

There's a TV cut of The Blues Brothers that features extra scenes and full versions of a couple more of the songs (John Lee Hooker's "Boom Boom" being the most notable) but censored swearing. It got amalgamated with the theatrical cut for a DVD release a while back.

And of course, there's the Canadian TV cut of Lynch's Dune.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
And the TV edit of The Breakfast Club has a bit of otherwise unused material worked in as well, I believe.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I am not a book posted:

From a few pages back, but thank you. It's a throwaway line unless you're from around here, and then it completely beaks the 4th wall.

If you're from New York it makes perfect sense. As I said Rochester is a big city with a big college hockey presence and minor league hockey team, unlike Rochester MI.

It makes sense that he's referring to Rochester NY.

Edit: then again, this is the irrationally irritating movie moments thread.

Smiling Jack has a new favorite as of 01:03 on Aug 7, 2013

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

And of course, there's the Canadian TV cut of Lynch's Dune.

I remember that being shown on late night TV here in the US and I swear it was like 4+ hours.

I was pretty young and loved every bit of it because staying up late was cool. It just went on and on though. Thought I might have mis-remembered it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

syscall girl posted:

I remember that being shown on late night TV here in the US and I swear it was like 4+ hours.

I was pretty young and loved every bit of it because staying up late was cool. It just went on and on though. Thought I might have mis-remembered it.

176 minutes excluding commercials, so it probably would have lasted four hours.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
...And they played it all the time!

WGN, 2AM: Let's show part 1 of Dune! That or Ice Pirates or Slap Shot.

I'd sit and watch it, too.

However, that seemed such a strange film to get such a prestige release that it did unless it was just due to that part of the 90s Star Trek:TNG probably being at its peak with Patrick Stewart, Sting probably had a new album out, Sean Young dressing up as Catwoman, etc. all around that time.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

JediTalentAgent posted:

Sean Young dressing up as Catwoman, etc. all around that time.

That was the saddest thing.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I know this is also a problem with the book but on the topic of Willy Wonka Granpda Joe sees Charlie has a golden ticket and miraculously finds the strength to walk, dance, and sing with joy. Ignoring that his muscles would have atrophied and his bones would be brittle how come Charlie's Mom doesn't completely lose her poo poo? She is wasting hers and her son's lives taking care of four supposedly infirm seniors (2 of whom she's not even related to) and now she finds out her father can not only walk but can also sing and dance? Grandpa Joe is lucky he walked out of there with his life.

Not to mention, where the hell did Grandpa Joe get that money he gave to Charlie for the candy? Not only is he faking being sick, he's also holding out financially on Charlie's Mom.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

Pook Good Mook posted:

Not to mention, where the hell did Grandpa Joe get that money he gave to Charlie for the candy? Not only is he faking being sick, he's also holding out financially on Charlie's Mom.

I might be confused, but I think they got a pension or his mom gave them a penny every once in a while for their tobacco and he just held off long enough to give charlie some money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

I still remember Problem Child 1 or 2, Repo Man and Army of Darkness on TV actually offering up a few new scenes and dialogue that weren't in theatrical or home video releases.

This would explain why I remember Army of Darkness having the "Keep you drat dirty bones outta my mouth!" line I remembered so well from all the TV viewings, and then my confusion at it not being in the DVD release. Kinda miss that.

• Locked thread