Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

golden oldies pete posted:

AJPW current tour attendance

15.07.2013 Wakabayashi Gymnasium: 490 Fans
17.07.2013 Shinshu Sky Park: 287 Fans
19.07.2013 Higashimachi Prefectural Sports Center: 323 Fans
21.07.2013 Osaka BODYMAKER COLOSSEUM #2: 387 Fans
23.07.2013 Takamatsu Symbol Tower Exhibition Space: 127 Fans
24.07.2013 Kochi Sunpia Chres: 327 Fans
25.07.2013 Niihama Business Promotion Center: 271 Fans

To be fair, none of those were filmed. The real sign of doom is that they couldn't fill Korakuen more than halfway at the start and end of that tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
You can actually buy Dragon Gate Infinity dvds from the DGUSA store but it's pretty expensive per season.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Dragon Gate being number two is more of a statement of the Japanese scene than Dragon Gate being a hot company. They've been running the same buildings drawing the same numbers for years; just the companies that would be ahead of them are doing so poorly.

Their tv presence has drastically improved (monthly live koraukens) but its gaora.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Flameingblack posted:

DDT Pro can draw a hell of a lot when they have a large arena.
It takes them an entire year to get a show with 5000+ attendance (and now two such shows). They're still small.

NOAH might be back to #3 at this point, how sad is that.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

nnnNNNNN bn\

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Ditch posted:

It takes them an entire year to get a show with 5000+ attendance (and now two such shows). They're still small.

NOAH might be back to #3 at this point, how sad is that.

How soon before Muto's promotion stops drawing, do you think? Just going to be a couple decent houses and then nothing, or will it sustain some kind of decent level?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Mutoh Pro needs a contingent of reasonably big outsiders immediately after the first show. Period.

RudoReels
Feb 21, 2013

RudoReels.com for International Pro Wrestling DVDs and Downloads.

Free downloads in every newsletter email!

AtomicDrop posted:

Hey RudoReels, may I ask why you don't have any Toryumon/Dragon Gate stuff on your website?

What Daryl said. Basically :)
I do have a ton of it, nothing recent by any means, but a nice collection. Just contact me privately. I got a bit paranoid when someone sent a link to Gabe and he implied he'd look into it. He'd recently asked IVP to stop carrying it, so I thought it best to follow suit before even being asked. Don't want any trouble. I hung onto it for the side collection though. Got tons and tons of stuff I can't list for obvious reasons, but at the end of the day I love wrestling, so I'm not about to get rid of it.

Daryl Surat posted:

Five years ago, Gaora Sports Channel filed a copyright takedown claim on my account for posting a nine second clip from the Dragon Gate Infinity TV show of CIMA signing an autograph for ME. It contained zero wrestling content and I posted it because it was a shot of me on Japanese TV, and they still automatically went after it because of the watermark being there.

I suppose it is their right, but the entire US fanbase for Japanese wrestling is built on theft because well...it's not like there's exactly a legitimate way to get much of the Japanese footage outside of Japan itself, is there?

Agreed, It's 100% their right, however ludicrous it may be. That is insane that they went after that clip.
Kind of mixed on Gabe for the same reasons... 100% in his right and I don't necessarily blame him, it's just that it's hypocritical. Don't quote me on this, as I dislike rumors and hate to perpetuate any, but I heard he went after people who were TRADING shows, even. If that is true, I think it's just sad considering that some areas of wrestling have thrived as a result of tape trading, and it's been around for *years*.

But hey, support what you love, whatever the means are.

NJPW has proven that US fans will pay for what they want to see, and there is a market for it. If they'd realize the same with their DVD releases, we'd be golden. Many fans will pay the $15-25 to see an iPPV since it's live, but paying anywhere from $30-150 for DVD releases (depending on the shows) in region 2 is iffy. There's serious coin to be made if NJPW would only realize it and act on it.

Edit: Point is though, it has to be priced fairly. Even with Infinity being available, if they're not reasonable, it's not a huge help to the consumer or even to their cause. I looked into buying some older EVOLVE masters about a year ago and went with ROH shows on clearance instead due to the prices. Not that $20 is ridiculous for a show or anything, but when it's a couple years old and you still refuse to put it on sale and be competitive, you're costing yourself business, frankly.

Anyway.. anything that puts more wrestling in retail stores is a great thing. (You know, unless it's a return of XPW or something)

Additional edit:
See, lots of people are finding Mutoh's promotion intriguing. New is new, even if it's a rehash of something old. But I agree, as stated by others, the real question is how long will it keep that 'new car small.'

Very curious to see what comes from the TNA deal. Even if it's 2013 I'd love to see Mutoh vs Angle or Sting "for old time's sake" on a TNA PPV. Living in the past doesn't help the future, but TNA's got to do something to spark some interest in the present.

RudoReels fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 30, 2013

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

TNA sends JJ and Matt Morgan(shut up) and that'll be the sum total of that relationship.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
KENTA's next title challenger: Shane Haste

And if seeing that name makes you say "who?"... EXACTLY.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

aussie indie stalwart right?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He's worked PWG a few times and looked good.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
I like the guy, but oh god. He's one of the tag champions at least, but I wouldn't have thought he was anywhere near booked strong enough.

Then again NOAH is a sinking ship, so they'll do whatever.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
So if NOAH just out right dies, does KENTA go to AJPW or NJPW? Where does any of the talent that matters on that roster fall to when/if NOAH just goes bottom up?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
No way whatsoever of knowing. None.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Isn't AJPW on the brink of death itself?

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

NOAH roster going to AJPW would make no sense since NOAH was conceived to escape AJPW, which was probably in better state in 2000 than it is now. Then again a handful of NOAH's top guys already went to AJPW with the BURNING invasion.

AJPW's new owner probably gives them financial backing they need but their roster is so thin, even before Mutoh and others left.

quote:

Heavyweight wrestlers
Go Shiozaki
Joe Doering
Jun Akiyama
KENSO
Manabu Soya
Masanobu Fuchi
Suwama
Taiyō Kea
Takao Ōmori
'Big Bad' Aimee Ward

Junior heavyweight wrestlers
Atsushi Aoki
Kotaro Suzuki
SUSHI
Yoshinobu Kanemaru

Freelancers
Akebono
Hikaru Sato (Pancrase / DDT)
Kazushi Miyamoto (Tenryu Project)
Masao Inoue
MAZADA (Tokyo Gurentai)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

If KENTA goes to New Japan, NOAH and AJPW might as well just end.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

The next best thing, Shinsuke Nakamura is going to NOAH this month to tag with Marafuji against KENTA/Sugiura.

Tokyo Sports repored KENTA may appear in NJPW, rough translation by enuhito.

quote:

KENTA「外に出ないというスタンスだけど、別に外が嫌いなワケじゃない。ここで何かが生まれれば可能性はある。そこらへんは縁に任せます」
KENTA : I will not go outside to wrestle basically but I don't hate it. I will face Shinsuke Nakamura for tag team match in Marufuji's 15th anniversary show. If something happens in that match, I would go.

There was another interview with KENTA & Shibata in a magazine where he expressed that he wants to go to WWE, but he has no english, and I'm sure nobody wants that.

I could see KENTA & Shibata as a unit or even rivals in NJPW, they are good friends. Shibata was there in the ring when KENTA won the GHC title, they were at the WWE events in Ryogoku together this summer, and Shibata has adopted the Go 2 Sleep for the G1 Climax this month.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

golden oldies pete posted:

There was another interview with KENTA & Shibata in a magazine where he expressed that he wants to go to WWE, but he has no english, and I'm sure nobody wants that.

I don't know, I still want to see a Punk vs KENTA feud just based on KENTA being pissed that Punk stole his finisher, and "one more match" between KENTA and Dragon.

Having said that, I don't see it happening, and NJPW is probably the safer bet.

Also, does KENTA legit not speak English, or is that meant in the Tajiri way of not speaking English?

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

obviously it would be cool for those reasons but you know for a fact they would gently caress it up and put him in a ninja costume and rename him Kenneth Kinjutsu.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

KENTA sang some Christmas carols in one of the NOAH things(which are magic) so English, maybe?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
He wouldn't be able to cut a promo, that's what matters.

Domalom
Mar 20, 2009

Gadzooks!
http://blog.livedoor.jp/hbkidcool/archives/51914930.html

quote:

全日本プロレスの至宝・3冠ヘビー級ベルトが、団体創設者である故ジャイアント馬場さんの元に返還されることが分かった。馬場さんの夫人である元子さんの要請を、全日プロ側が承諾したもの。PWF、インター、UNヘビーの3本のベルトが使用されるのは、25日の東京・大田区大会で行われる王者・諏訪魔vs潮﨑の3冠戦が最後となる。

AJPW will give triple crown belts back to Motoko Baba via Tokyo Sports. It is Motoko Baba's request. AJPW accepted it. PWF,Inter, UN heavy belts will be used at the match Suwama VS Shozaki in Otaku show on August 25, After that AJPW will give them back to Baba.

quote:

全日本プロレスの最高権威、3冠ヘビー級ベルトが馬場家に返還される事が東京スポーツの取材で明らかになった。きっかけは元オーナーである馬場元子夫人からの申し出であったという。PWF、インター、UNヘビーの3本のベルトは老朽化しており、いつ完全に壊れてもおかしくない状態との事。そんな状況を嘆いた馬場元子夫人が返還を要請、全日本プロレス側は協議を重ね、返還する方針を固めたという。

According to Tokyo Sports, AJPW will give triple crown back to Motoko Baba. It is Motoko's request. PWF, Inter, and UN heavy belts are too old. These are almost broken. Motoko is worry about it and requested AJPW to get them back. AJPW agreed it.

今後も3冠ヘビー級王座の名称は変わらず、新ベルトが作製さえる。そのベルトは3本ではなく、1本のベルトになる見込みとの事。他の世界タッグ、世界ジュニア、アジアタッグベルトは返還する事なく、全日本側の所有となる。3冠チャンピオンの諏訪魔は「寂しさがないと言ったらウソになるけど、新生・全日本ですから。これから新しいものを作り上げていかないといけない」と語った。

AJPW will make new belt. The title name remain "Triple Crown".but one belt. AJPW will not give back other ttile including World Tag, World Jr, Asia Tag. Suwama said "I want to make something new."

Pretty dodgy translation but it gets the point across.

Eeee. They've been looking rough for a while though.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

That's pretty insane.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

HulkaMatt posted:

That's pretty insane.

I can't remember/don't know enough to know if Ms. Baba has a history of being really crazy or not, but if not, then this is clearly a big loss of face for the new All Japan owner. And while I'm all for Japanese businessmen being all "we need to break tradition and build something new," in this case it sounds like it's because the dude is fly-by-night as hell and pissing off all the wrong people. You can do something new while respecting and using the old continuous Triple Crown; but if you're doing poo poo wrong? Man.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I don't like this, and commissioning new belts when your business is doing so poorly, just seems like even more bad decision making.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

IVP has that 12 disc best of Michinoku Pro set for $9.99 via download this week if anyone wants a bunch of cheap awesome Puro

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

I have that set on disc and it rules, my favourite match so far on it is Sabu vs. Jerry Lynn. Sabu does a dive to the outside while Lynn is on a table and they both fall off it, Sabu powerbombs Lynn onto the table and nothing happens, post-match Sabu moonsaults onto the table and fucks himself up on it and I think maybe one of the legs breaks.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
There was legit heat on Minoru Suzuki for carelessly slinging the TC belts around when he was champ. They need to be retired but c'mon, at least make three new belts...

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'm not surprised they are going this route, there was a story a few years ago they were going to do the same thing due to the condition of the belts.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Ditch posted:

There was legit heat on Minoru Suzuki for carelessly slinging the TC belts around when he was champ. They need to be retired but c'mon, at least make three new belts...

Wasn't that around the same time AJPW wanted to make new belts and keep the old ones in framed cases as part of the trophy presentation?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ditch posted:

yeah, I'm stupid surprised they haven't commissioned replicas because holy poo poo.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I thought using those ancient belts for so long unchanged was awesome and it seems like they were about the only cool things they had left.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Thauros posted:

I thought using those ancient wrestlers for so long unchanged was awesome and it seems like they were about the only cool things they had left.
With this one-word change, you'd also be describing NOAH in 2009 to a tee.
:negative:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

More on the All Japan front courtesy of today's Observer. :psyduck:

quote:

In what doesn’t sound like a good thing, it appears they are building to owner Nobuo Shiraishi doing wrestling. There is the beginning of build for an 8/25 match at Ota Ward Gym in Tokyo with Shiraishi & Kenso vs. Masahiro Chono (who very rarely wrestles these days) & Joe Doering. Chono issued the challenge. Right now the match is listed as Doering vs. Kenso in a singles match but it’s expected to change.

RudoReels
Feb 21, 2013

RudoReels.com for International Pro Wrestling DVDs and Downloads.

Free downloads in every newsletter email!
For those who catch this now & are interested, for the next hour (ends at 1 AM EST) I'm running a flash sale on the digital shop. ( http://www.rudoreels.com/digital ) 25% off purchases with 6XV32197 entered at checkout. Only Amazon Payments works with the checkout, for Paypal please submit an order here, I'll send you an invoice and I'll count it for the sale:
http://rudoreels.com/digital/index.php/paypal-order-form/

Sorry, no G1 just yet.
Good time to stack the savings up on 2011 and 2012 G1 tournaments though-
http://rudoreels.com/digital/index.php/njpw-2011-g1-climax-event-collection-20d/
http://rudoreels.com/digital/index.php/njpw-2012-g1-climax-event-collection-16d/

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

Thauros posted:

More on the All Japan front courtesy of today's Observer. :psyduck:

I saw an article about him sparring in the ring last week but gently caress what a dumb idiot.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
I want someone to convince this guy that a partnership with TNA would be a good thing because why have two promotions go down in flames separately when they can Thelma & Louise themselves instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Well I mean, I don't think anyone actually actively wants AJPW to fail and go out of business. We just really don't like the new ego maniac/poo poo head in charge.