Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

ZarathustraFollower posted:

I know pine shaving are a no-go, but I'm considering adding pine needles to my Southern Pine snakes enclosure. They would mostly be hand collected sandpine needles and rinsed before adding them. I've seen snakes at zoos with pine needles, and I'd like to make her cage a bit more realistic.
Thoughts?

Edit: Also, this was a few posts down below the other chameleon ad on that craigslist:
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/pet/3965775511.html

Pine needles should be just fine. I can't imagine there would be anything harmful with a handful of pine needles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

I've been looking at getting a crested for a while now ,so I started following lots of breeders on Facebook, but I can't really justify paying 200-300 dollars for a gecko. So, I've been wistfully lurking craigslist when I found this listing
http://orlando.craigslist.org/pet/3959128146.html
I really love the pins/ partial pins he has posted and I just wanted to get some goon opinions on whether or not this is a terrible idea/ any geckos that really standout as great specimens?Also, any crestie specific questions I should ask him before I think about buying?

DenialTwist fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 1, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Holy poo poo that's a gorgeous baby. As long as they aren't on babyfood and they're feeding well, hell, go for it. Check incubation times too. If it's less than 60 days ask what's up. Some eggs just hatch a little earlier, but the vast majority should be at least 60 days.

I'd snap up that first little guy for $80 no problem.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
On the other side of the craigslist coin, we've got this guy. http://holland.craigslist.org/pet/3969300302.html

Includes 10 gallon tank, rock thing they like to hide in, and heatlamp! Everything you need.

Poor little guys.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Sorry to keep up the craigslist theme but uh http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/pet/3973425709.html Is this a normal thing? This is the first I have ever seen a blue iguana like that.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I asked this last week and didn't get a response, so I'm fishing again. One of my leos only eats about once a week. This time she ate about 12 mealworms, and since then has been staying in her moist hide on the cool side of the tank. As far as I can tell, she's in there just laying around 24/7. She hasn't pooped. Her tail seems nice and plump, but the skin on her side seems wrinkly when she curls up.

We are moving tomorrow and I'm a bit worried that something's wrong with her. Any advice?

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
How old is she and when has she shed last? I assume she's an adult, and probably needs to shed and is digesting slower due to being in a cool hide a lot? I think mealworms are also not recommended because they have a lot of chitin and are harder/slower to digest.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

cryingscarf posted:

Sorry to keep up the craigslist theme but uh http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/pet/3973425709.html Is this a normal thing? This is the first I have ever seen a blue iguana like that.

It's not necessarily 'normal' but it is a color morph. Iggies can also come in orange, yellow and lime green. IMO, the orange and blues are the prettiest.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Noricae posted:

How old is she and when has she shed last? I assume she's an adult, and probably needs to shed and is digesting slower due to being in a cool hide a lot? I think mealworms are also not recommended because they have a lot of chitin and are harder/slower to digest.

Both of my leos are fed primarily dusted crickets, and she did the same thing last time she ate those. I believe she is less than/just about a year old, and shed a couple weeks ago. My other leo has had 3 mealworm meals this week, and shed the other day. She has been voracious. They are in separate tanks.

They'll be back on crickets after we move, it was just easier to have a week of mealies after the crickets ran out last weekend.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Just came back from browsing a pet store, of course I overhear convos because people like to talk really loud, this special gem

Lady:"hey can I get 50 goldfish"
something something convo with friend about feeding two turtles and one gets the other one faster

Lady:"Yeah, you never know whats wrong with the turtles, like if you buy a grown one in a pet store you dont know what diseases it might have. see I got mine as babies and I had em for 5 years I know nothings wrong with em"
(obviously talking about RES and how she has those teeny illegal ones)

Dude: *agreement*

Lady: *somethingsomething while they browse fish*

Dude: Yea you gotta keep em small cuz they only grow to the size of their tank

Lady: *agreement* yea turtles grow by the light and I dont give them the light so they stay small. but theres like this white stuff growing on the edge of the tank I havent cleaned it in 2 months but it just went away so Im gunna throw all those fish in there. I hope theyre okay I dont want them to die :(

At that point it was just too much and I started leaving

And then I see the lady at the front asking for a job application- theyre hiring full time people

:suicide:

---

On another note, I'm still extremely happy with this bull snake. He took 3 mice last week injected with fenben with no issue, I figure I can probably just take the powder and sprinkle it on a wet mouse and he'll eat it. The poop though. :gonk: Might go purchase a single rat and see what the largest preyitem he can take is.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
I'm torn here, because I despise the kind of inbreeding that often comes with morphs, but that orange iguana up there is some kind of amazing. Does anyone known what the health of those iguana lines is like? Does the family tree lack in branches, as it were?

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

I think somebody likes their new plant.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Cless Alvein posted:

I think somebody likes their new plant.

All herps seem to love Mother-In-law-Tongue.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Does anyone have that picture of a corn snake eating a cobra? I was looking for it in this thread but couldn't find it.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Pew! Pew! posted:

Does anyone have that picture of a corn snake eating a cobra? I was looking for it in this thread but couldn't find it.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
So I was poking around on craigslist this morning and I saw this ad for ball pythons. :wtc:

quote:

Hey cl I have three ball pythons two r sinimon nd the othe one is a regular python the two adults are breeders so for any more ?? Txt me at ###

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

That and the loving IGUANA at my local ASPCA (who they have no idea who to care for no doubt) is a bit much for me today. I'm almost on board with necessary permitting for herps.

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

That and the loving IGUANA at my local ASPCA (who they have no idea who to care for no doubt) is a bit much for me today. I'm almost on board with necessary permitting for herps.

I would like to tell you a story about the six foot iguana in my fifth grade classroom.

My teacher kept a six foot iguana in our classroom. In a seven foot enclosure. Welp that's pretty much the story.

(She also kept 4 ball pythons in one tank, a corn snake, some ferrets, two rabbits, two chinchillas, two cockatiels, mice, rats (that she bred or rather let reproduce freestyle), and basically whatever other animal a kid brought to her that week).

(oh and she let us sign up to take them home over the weekends).

Silly Hippie fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 5, 2013

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!

Samila posted:

So I was poking around on craigslist this morning and I saw this ad for ball pythons. :wtc:

maybe im not seeing it correctly, but are ball pythons normally THAT long??? it looks huge..as opposed to girthy..the one on the bottom front

Little_Viking
Aug 23, 2007
Raiding Lindisfarne since 793AD.
Remember me posting about that Sand boa I got? so far, he's been awesome, far and away one of the tamest snakes Ive owned (odd feeder, will NOT eat outside his enclosure, and I have to sorta wave the thawed fuzzy around for him to strike). Only issue so far, his first shed...didn't come off so great. He has lil bits of shed around the eyes. Ive given him a soak, and it took off some around his head, but not enough to get it all, Any suggestions to get these little bits around his eyes off?

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Dab at it with a q-tip soaked in water or mineral oil, and try to be as gentle as possible. Be patient and keep soaking! Bad sheds are a pain; I used to have constant issues with my blood python until I switched him to a tub, but KSBs are a more arid species, so a water dish and some occasional extra soaks should do it for you.

pics pics pics pics:

Photon is living outside for the summer, lazily enjoying drippers and an occasional wild moth. If I lived in Florida, I'd do this year round, as it seems to improve their coloring and activity dramatically.

Really bad, flashed-out pic thanks to our back porch light, but he throws his best color when he's asleep.

Petroglyph is still growing, and every time I look at her I think 'You can't possibly get bigger, fatty' but then I see an adult MGD and remind myself that nope, she definitely can.

Annnd this is what I found the other night when I went into the reptile room to mist. Apparently eating his way through the baby quail population wasn't enough, now he's taken up regular escape. Yeah, you're getting your tub zip-tied, buddy. :argh:

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend
Oh my god, he's still fat from the quails, isn't he? :3:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Yes, yes he is, but the other snakes were getting fed that night and he was damned if he was gonna just sit in his tub and do nothing about it.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Just moved, and went to the now-local pet shop, which is a tiny place with an even tinier reptile room...and I got pretty sad. There's a painted turtle in a 20g tank with a shitload of algae growing on his shell. Most of the reptiles are in tiny plastic critter carriers. Their leo was hiding, and his tank had about a dozen large crickets running wild, as well as half a dozen eaten husks of dead crickets. I'm guessing those guys have been in there for awhile. :gonk:

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Captain Foxy posted:

Petroglyph is still growing, and every time I look at her I think 'You can't possibly get bigger, fatty' but then I see an adult MGD and remind myself that nope, she definitely can.
She looks all sorts of amazing, and huge, and I'd look at a hundred more pictures you post of her. Other than looking like she's an escape artist, are they difficult to take care of? Humidity or similar requirements? (For someone that has a diurnal lizard already and knows that routine).

And Photon is gorgeous - I guess red is not an angry coloring? Sure, a lazy lump, but looks fat and happy.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Noricae posted:

She looks all sorts of amazing, and huge, and I'd look at a hundred more pictures you post of her. Other than looking like she's an escape artist, are they difficult to take care of? Humidity or similar requirements? (For someone that has a diurnal lizard already and knows that routine).

And Photon is gorgeous - I guess red is not an angry coloring? Sure, a lazy lump, but looks fat and happy.

Nah, angry in Panthers involves them going through different phases of firing up, with black barring if stressed or super angry. Those are Photon's 'at rest' colors, which are way less bright when he's under artificial versus natural light. Under the UVB he almost looks washed out, even at his prettiest, so you can see how exposure to real UVB is a must when keeping chams, even just for 15 min a day. Photon has an outdoor cage and is living in it full-time; the nighttime drops are good for his metabolism and he's eating like a champ lately.

Thanks! Glyphie is definitely my favorite animal out of my collection, so I'm biased, but MGDs are poo poo tons of fun. They are amazing escape artists, and Glyph has actually gotten out twice, and each time luckily been able to lure her back with a fingertip full of day gecko diet (she is a fatty fat). They are lightning fast and wickedly smart, and their skin tears like paper, so you can't grab them. It's a bad combination. If you hand feed them, however, they will associate you with food and you can coax them into sitting on your hand or arm.

They need a fairly high humidity gradient, with even drops, probably anywhere from 40-60%. I mist her about twice a day, and she does use a water dish. I keep her at 75-88F, on average, and she has both a basking bulb and a UVB. She eats day gecko diet or crested gecko diet readily, which helps even out the food budget, but she will ravenously take anything from crickets, to dubia, to any kind of worm. She's a very active dirunal animal, and frequently shows off for guests. I find the phelsuma to be among the most personable of all geckos.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

Malalol posted:

maybe im not seeing it correctly, but are ball pythons normally THAT long??? it looks huge..as opposed to girthy..the one on the bottom front

Ball pythons normally only get 5-6 feet long, though I've seen a few monster females that had to be well over 6. I think those ones just look weirdly long because they're not as fat as they should be.

password is taco
Oct 23, 2012
Help, goons! Recently I've been having an issue with my terrapin tank. :( The water is consistently a bright green color. I've tried to do water changes and clean the actual glass, but within an hour, the water goes bright green all over again.

My turtles don't seem to be sick - in fact, they're doing great. I'm just frustrated and concerned after doing so many water changes... What could be the issue?

edit - before you say algae, I don't really see any in the tank, and I just also cleaned out the filter cartridge.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Sounds like algae? Pea soup is usually a type of algae, not necessarily a solid green thing you see on glass..is it by a window? Too much light? I have tanks outside that get all green water from the sun. I think some people use uv sterilizers to handle it. Purigen, barley? might work. Or algaefix?

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I REALLY need to get some day geckos at some point. So awesome!

password is taco
Oct 23, 2012

Malalol posted:

Sounds like algae? Pea soup is usually a type of algae, not necessarily a solid green thing you see on glass..is it by a window? Too much light? I have tanks outside that get all green water from the sun. I think some people use uv sterilizers to handle it. Purigen, barley? might work. Or algaefix?

Ohh it is right by my bedroom window! Thank you, I thought algae only came in the gross globby form...

Would it be best for me to move the tank or at least lower the shade? They seem to really love the natural light that comes in, but I don't want them to get sick if algae can do that. :(

m5ind
Jun 6, 2011

Musical, you say?
So after all of my dart frog talk earlier on I built a thing:

It gets too warm in the spot I have it in now for frogs though, I need to find a new spot for it.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
My son (who owns and takes care of a ball python, so he is not a COMPLETE reptile noob) has been going on and on about Argentinian Tegus. He really wants one. I have looked into them and they seem pretty damned cool. I mean, I can tell they'd be a lot of work, but they are pretty neat. I am considering buying one, but it is a pretty large animal and I would love to hear the downsides first. I have never owned anything larger than about a 4 foot snake that wasn't a mammal.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 8, 2013

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Hands down, a tegu is not a pet for a child, even one experienced with reptiles. They really are difficult, large, unpredictable and sometimes aggressive animals. Not to mention you'd need to shell out for a massive 8'x8' enclosure (double the animal's length is the bare minimum, so really, you're looking at a room of space) and an incredibly varied diet, on top of UVB.

The main problem with tegus, aside from size, is that even the most experienced of reptile keepers have trouble balancing their diet correctly without leading to obesity and liver failure. I can't even tell you what goes into a tegu diet, although I have a vague idea, but it's certainly not something I'd want to have to deal with. The supplementation for a growing animal is also very intense, and requires careful daily scrutiny to be sure there isn't an overdose. They're prone to diabetes, fatty liver, kidney failure and floppy limbs, all of which are hard to avoid unless you're 100% on top of it, all the time, without fail.

I just accepted a job at House of Reptiles, and they don't sell tegus but use their pair for education on why they make bad pets, and I just got the rundown on tegu care problems from a coworker who takes in unwanted ones, so I may be overly 'hell no', but it seems like a bad idea in a lot of ways.

A uro, a beardie, a water dragon or a blue-tongue would all be much, much better choices for your kid, imo.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I was going to take care of it, not my son (although I'd let him think it is his), but your post has opened my eyes a bit. I thought the 'Argentinian" might be OK, because from what I've read they are pretty docile. I guess it was too good to be true. I had no idea about the diet problems either. Thanks a lot!

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Captain Foxy posted:

Hands down, a tegu is not a pet for a child, even one experienced with reptiles. They really are difficult, large, unpredictable and sometimes aggressive animals. Not to mention you'd need to shell out for a massive 8'x8' enclosure (double the animal's length is the bare minimum, so really, you're looking at a room of space) and an incredibly varied diet, on top of UVB.

The main problem with tegus, aside from size, is that even the most experienced of reptile keepers have trouble balancing their diet correctly without leading to obesity and liver failure. I can't even tell you what goes into a tegu diet, although I have a vague idea, but it's certainly not something I'd want to have to deal with. The supplementation for a growing animal is also very intense, and requires careful daily scrutiny to be sure there isn't an overdose. They're prone to diabetes, fatty liver, kidney failure and floppy limbs, all of which are hard to avoid unless you're 100% on top of it, all the time, without fail.

I just accepted a job at House of Reptiles, and they don't sell tegus but use their pair for education on why they make bad pets, and I just got the rundown on tegu care problems from a coworker who takes in unwanted ones, so I may be overly 'hell no', but it seems like a bad idea in a lot of ways.

A uro, a beardie, a water dragon or a blue-tongue would all be much, much better choices for your kid, imo.

Id be interested in hearing about that tegu rundown!

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Yeah the Argentinian is the main species, but when people refer to them as docile, the animal is usually so obese that it can't move. When in good condition, they're an individual just like any reptile, and they can use those massive claws and whip-like tail much easier when they're not so fat that they bulge. Not to mention the bacteria recently discovered in their saliva, which makes a bite much more of a threatening idea.

I assumed it would be you taking care of it, which is why I hammered home the points about diet and massive space requirements. Parents always end up footing the bill for those!

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

first time learning about overweight tegus, i know about overweight monitors n such

^^^ FAT OR NOT? he was the sweetest chil dude named snoopy

Now Im all interested in reading more on tegu/monitor diet. As far as my memory goes, I remember you feed em dog/cat food, mice, eggs, chicken (meat, bones, innards etc), bugs, fruits/somevegs?????????????? But as far as balancing that, I have no idea.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

m5ind posted:

So after all of my dart frog talk earlier on I built a thing:

It gets too warm in the spot I have it in now for frogs though, I need to find a new spot for it.

The tank looks really nice, at least, though you might want to get some more plants; it's a bit too open and exposed for most darts. Something fairly large with lots of leaves for the front, maybe, and some vining plants on the back would go a long way. The rule of thumb I go by is that you should be able to look into the tank and only occasionally see the frogs, or only see a few, or at least it should take a while to find them. But the basic design looks good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Malalol posted:

first time learning about overweight tegus, i know about overweight monitors n such

^^^ FAT OR NOT? he was the sweetest chil dude named snoopy

Now Im all interested in reading more on tegu/monitor diet. As far as my memory goes, I remember you feed em dog/cat food, mice, eggs, chicken (meat, bones, innards etc), bugs, fruits/somevegs?????????????? But as far as balancing that, I have no idea.

Fat. Neck rolls and everything.

Dog/cat food is what makes them fat, as well as mice. There's a tegu pelleted diet, but the gen consensus seems to be to rotate feeding large dubia, ground minced whole prey, eggs, minced diced fruit/veggies on occasion, and rats as opposed to mice (better nutrient content; most keepers are steering away from mice as a feeder unless for the smallest of animals). Supplementation is every feeding or every other feeding, depending on what you're supplementing.

If you want to keep abreast of it, there are tegu and monitor-specific forums and they go into spergy detail about diet. I don't have or want a tegu, so I only know what I glean from coworkers/other forums.

• Locked thread