Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It really is a baffling decision and they probably never even considered it. I bet it literally never came up at the board meetings where this thing was designed.

Maybe they were like "We already have all this experience and APIs for resistive touch screens"? And Miyamoto was like "This reminds me of when I was playing with a toy while searching a cave for gardens. Make a game about underground cave barrels filled with toys". And Iwata was like "So we'll stick with this touchscreen we already know" and Reggie was like "we can synergize next level core experiences for casual gamers". Then everyone was silent for a slightly too long, and Totaka emerged from the corner of the room playing Totaka's song on a blade of grass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That loving Sned posted:

I wonder who even makes resistive touch screens, or 5-inch LCD screens at 800x480

Chinese companies companies that make awful Android phone knockoffs.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Target is selling the 8gb WiiU for $150 in Canada right now. No drat way they're gonna be making more of those.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

That loving Sned posted:

I wonder who even makes resistive touch screens, or 5-inch LCD screens at 800x480.

Even North Korea has larger, higher-resolution tablets.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Why must this thread's title continue to drag consoles I love through the mud?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

zenintrude posted:

I'm impressed you can still read the thread title.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Is the Wii U the next Neo Geo Pocket Color?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

zenintrude posted:

There's a fine line between love and insanity...

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zenintrude posted:

Oh cmon, as bad as the WiiU situation is right now, it is flat out superior in every way to the Virtual boy. It has more really good games then the Virtual Boy had games at all. You got Wario Land as the one great game, Jack Bros and Red Alarm and maybe Teleroboxer as pretty good games, and Mario Clash and Tennis as "decent" arcade type games. All for two hours on six AA batteries with a side of neck pain and retina damage.

I have a virtual boy and enjoyed it quite a bit. I still play it. But let's not be silly and say it is better than the WiiU.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

greatn posted:

Oh cmon, as bad as the WiiU situation is right now, it is flat out superior in every way to the Virtual boy. It has more really good games then the Virtual Boy had games at all. You got Wario Land as the one great game, Jack Bros and Red Alarm and maybe Teleroboxer as pretty good games, and Mario Clash and Tennis as "decent" arcade type games. All for two hours on six AA batteries with a side of neck pain and retina damage.

I have a virtual boy and enjoyed it quite a bit. I still play it. But let's not be silly and say it is better than the WiiU.

He's just saying he has a soft spot for the Virtual Boy, dude.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

greatn posted:

New WiiU thread title found

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
WiiU: Better than the Virtual Boy(We think[maybe??])

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I bought my Wii because I was sick and tired of traditional controllers. For me, the only thing the Wii needed was: HD, A kick in the pants graphically, and better online structure. (I don't go online with my wii, but i understand the market demands)

The main reasons I'm not really interested in the Wii-U are:

1) No more crazy control schemes (I like the wii-remote and nunchuck wagglin')
2) The Tablet-controller, outside of the "play games without the TV" angle really isn't all that interesting (to me)
3) Too many controllers now! (you got the tablet, the classic pro, the nunchuck and wii-remote) There's got to be a better way!

I'd buy a Wii-U if there were going to be a bunch of games that used the tablet really interestingly but currently that list is:
1) Zombi-u

When I bought my Wii I knew that every game would be different. Since at the time the classic controller wasn't a big thing, so everyone had to do SOMEthing with the wii-remote and nunchuck. So I was kind of excited to see how this game or that game would handle. Now? all the big 3-rd party games are just gonna be ports with some crappy 2nd screen "feature" (look! it's a map!) tacked on. And even then it's only really gonna be relevant until the new xbox and playstation out-perform it in graphics when they launch. This will dry up the Wii-U ports, and put the Wii-u in the same position as the Wii but without the neat waggle gimmick to float on.

If nintendo wants my money here's what they need to do.
1) Kill the wii-U. Just write it off, we're done here.
2) Stuff a 650gb internal HD and Nvidia 660ti (or whatever the major top of the line graphics chipset is) in a Wii.
3) Only sell Wii Motion Plus, Which means that every game has full motion controls if they want it.
4) Get an online service that rivals someone. Given how much of a Boner they get for Mii's I'd probably set up something like Playstation Home. Maybe you like have to run your little dude to the wii-shop? I dunno.

Oh, and you can keep the new Pro controller. It looks nice.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

From the newest issue of Game Informer; "It appears that...the U.S. video game industry has already written the Wii U off as a failure and moved on."

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Virtual Boy was a sweet concept at least, even if it barely had any games and died an early death. The Wii U is...a slightly better Wii with a lovely tablet controller?

I never had to buy a Virtual Boy because a friend of mine had one when they came out and I got to test his out. None of my friends currently own a Wii U that I know of and I couldn't give a poo poo. I don't feel like I'm missing out at all. I tested one out at Target one time and that was enough experience to know that I never want to own one of those things.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

I said come in! posted:

From the newest issue of Game Informer; "It appears that...the U.S. video game industry has already written the Wii U off as a failure and moved on."

Iwata and Fils-aime must be sweating bullets at this point.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Fils-Aime seems like a guy who as soon as he is canned from Nintendo is going to go on a tour of right wing radio, run for president and go on book tours.

Iwata I could see going back to developing.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Trollologist posted:

3) Only sell Wii Motion Plus, Which means that every game has full motion controls if they want it.

I do not understand why they didn't pack one of these into every Wii U console. I realize there are only literally half a dozen games that required it, but now we're stuck with another generation of games that won't get good motion controls.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

TaurusOxford posted:

Iwata and Fils-aime must be sweating bullets at this point.

Because Game Informer said a thing? Let's not give them too much credit here...

But yeah, they should be sweating bullets over how precarious their situation is at the moment (and I say that as someone who thoroughly enjoys their system). I wouldn't call it a failure just yet though.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Handsome Ralph posted:

But yeah, they should be sweating bullets over how precarious their situation is at the moment (and I say that as someone who thoroughly enjoys their system). I wouldn't call it a failure just yet though.

We're one price drop + Ambassador Program away from it being one of the most successful consoles of all time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Handsome Ralph posted:

Game Informer is owned by Gamestop, so they have a better idea of sales trends then most.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

zenintrude posted:

We're one price drop + Ambassador Program away from it being one of the most successful consoles of all time.
I don't think there will be an ambassador program even if there is a price drop, which Nintendo has already said is not happening, most likely because they can't slash costs on their Gamepad. All they can do is bundle Wii U with games and use the games as a loss leader to drive hardware sales.

This ridiculous fantasy of a sudden holy grail moment where the clouds form and rains wash over the parched land, it's not happening for Nintendo. Each new Nintendo game is going to sell SOME amount of systems, but none of them are going to make the Wii U outsell other consoles. This delusion started with "When Pikmin 3 comes out, it's gonna turn around", now it's "When Smash Bros comes out, it's gonna turn around". I can't wait in 2014 when people say "When Zelda comes out in 2015, it's gonna turn around!"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

zenintrude posted:

We're a few dozen million sales away from it being one of the most successful consoles of all time.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I said come in! posted:

Game Informer is owned by Gamestop, so they have a better idea of sales trends then most.

Game Informer is a pretty lovely magazine irregardless, and even if they are owned by Gamestop, they don't have any better insight (the writers at GI) on the sales of the Wii U than you, me, or anyone else here.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

I said come in! posted:

There's also publishers stating they won't support Wii U ports/versions, and Wii U ports/versions having multiplayer stripped out.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

I don't think there will be an ambassador program even if there is a price drop, which Nintendo has already said is not happening, most likely because they can't slash costs on their Gamepad. All they can do is bundle Wii U with games and use the games as a loss leader to drive hardware sales.

This ridiculous fantasy of a sudden holy grail moment where the clouds form and rains wash over the parched land, it's not happening for Nintendo. Each new Nintendo game is going to sell SOME amount of systems, but none of them are going to make the Wii U outsell other consoles. This delusion started with "When Pikmin 3 comes out, it's gonna turn around", now it's "When Smash Bros comes out, it's gonna turn around". I can't wait in 2014 when people say "When Zelda comes out in 2015, it's gonna turn around!"

No one said pikmin 3 would turn it around.

And of course they're not going to say anything about a price cut. If they said "Yeah we will eventually" everyone would just wait until that happened, it's corporate suicide.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bobnumerotres posted:

If they said "Yeah we will eventually" everyone would just wait until that happened, it's corporate suicide.

Releasing the WiiU being for 350 dollars when it's not even on par with dying 200 dollar systems ISN'T corporate suicide?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

A: I propose a bad policy
B: That would be a bad policy
A: So you're saying the current policy ISN'T bad???

If they cut the price, announcing it in advance would be stupid. It doesn't become less stupid if you also think they're making bad decisions currently.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

zenintrude posted:

I wouldn't even be upset if the price dropped and we got another Ambassador's Program for the Wii U. The 20 free games on the 3DS were a great way to apologize for the quick price drop for me as I got a ton of hours out of those games.

Some fun history on console price drops. This current generation went the longest without a price drop across the board with all 3 main consoles not getting a price drop for 2-3 years. This is how long it took the current generation's consoles to drop its price below the most basic introductory price.

The 7th Generation
360: 21 Months - Core from $300 to $280
PS3: 22 Months - 20GB model from $500 to $400
Wii: 34 months - $250 to $200

The 6th Generation
XBox: 6 Months - $300 to $200
PS2: 19 months - $300 to $200
GCN: 6 months - $200 to $150
DC: 11 months - $200 to $150

The 5th generation
N64: 6 months - $200 to $150
PSX: 8 months - $300 to $200
Saturn: 12 months - $400 to $200

And looking at recent handhelds:
3DS: 5 Months - $250 to $180
DS: 9 Months - $150 to $130
Virtual Boy: 2 months - $180 to $160, 9 months from $180 to $100.

I'm having trouble finding any price date easily beyond this. Makes me wonder how long it's going to take to see a price drop on Wii U consoles. We have the Wii which went the longest almost 3 years before dropping $50, and then the 3DS which went the shortest with the biggest price drop percentage wise. While the precedent in the past generation was to go at least 21 months, the previous generations all saw price drops as early as 6 months.

I guess a Wii U price drop would not be unheard of this far into the consoles lifespan.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 5, 2013

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
I think we should be looking more at the 3DS for precedent here. The Wii went three years without a price drop because it didn't need one. It was THE hot new toy for three Christmases in a row. Meanwhile the 3DS suffered from branding problems (can I play this without 3D on my DS?) and a dearth of games. Both problems the WiiU is going through right now! I'm thinking a price drop is just around the corner, but Nintendo just won't say anything about it for obvious reasons. It feels like an open secret at this point.

Edit: vvv The 3DS should have had a second analog for the sole reason that twin sticks are industry standard by this point. It makes me sad that Vita's expensive proprietary memory and poor developer support killed it, because it's better than the 3DS in pretty much every way from a technical perspective.

Distant Chicken fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 5, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Nonsense posted:

Every time I showed my friends the 3DS they always did the same thing. Pointed parallel to the circle pad on the opposite side of the screen and say "What the gently caress would it have cost them to add that a second stick on that side"

I'm not left handed, but the original DS was designed to accommodate those people by having the d-pad mirrored with the four face buttons. If you're using the stylus in your left hand, you can move with either the face buttons instead of the d-pad.

Having no second analogue stick is not only terrible for any game that requires camera controls, such as Monster Hunter, it also means that any game that uses the stylus and the analogue stick cannot be played by someone left-handed.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Not to mention the current generation took so long to price drop across the board because Sony and MS were taking a pretty significant loss on each console sold. The loss leader concept applied to previous generations too, but I don't think as severely.

It's also a good part of why the current generation has lasted as long as it has.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Handsome Ralph posted:

Game Informer is a pretty lovely magazine irregardless, and even if they are owned by Gamestop, they don't have any better insight (the writers at GI) on the sales of the Wii U than you, me, or anyone else here.
They likely have access to full NPD data which would provide them with a better notion of how bad it's doing. Leaked bits of info have pointed to terrible game sales outside of NSMBU but the extent of how terrible they are isn't fully known, and with full data they could see trends far better than most. A good example would be the data release from the UK's H1 2013: while the internet basically found out at once that the software sales were super-garbage, someone with monthly data reports would know that was coming.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Astro7x posted:

I wouldn't even be upset if the price dropped and we got another Ambassador's Program for the Wii U. The 20 free games on the 3DS were a great way to apologize for the quick price drop for me as I got a ton of hours out of those games.

Some fun history on console price drops. This current generation went the longest without a price drop across the board with all 3 main consoles not getting a price drop for 2-3 years. This is how long it took the current generation's consoles to drop its price below the most basic introductory price.

The 7th Generation
360: 21 Months - Core from $300 to $280
PS3: 22 Months - 20GB model from $500 to $400
Wii: 34 months - $250 to $200

The 6th Generation
XBox: 6 Months - $300 to $200
PS2: 19 months - $300 to $200
GCN: 6 months - $200 to $150
DC: 11 months - $200 to $150

The 5th generation
N64: 6 months - $200 to $150
PSX: 8 months - $300 to $200
Saturn: 12 months - $400 to $200

And looking at recent handhelds:
3DS: 5 Months - $250 to $180
DS: 9 Months - $150 to $130
Virtual Boy: 2 months - $180 to $160, 9 months from $180 to $100.

I'm having trouble finding any price date easily beyond this. Makes me wonder how long it's going to take to see a price drop on Wii U consoles. We have the Wii which went the longest almost 3 years before dropping $50, and then the 3DS which went the shortest with the biggest price drop percentage wise. While the precedent in the past generation was to go at least 21 months, the previous generations all saw price drops as early as 6 months.

I guess a Wii U price drop would not be unheard of this far into the consoles lifespan.

It's pretty different this time, compared to the last generation. The outlook on a Nintendo home console hasn't been this bad since... well, the Virtual Boy. They would have been nuts to drop the Wii's price any earlier than they did, since it did so incredibly well compared against post-SNES Nintendo consoles.

And yeah, the fact that they did the ambassador program at all lends me a lot of hope that they'd be willing to do it again. If Nintendo is going to save the console- and they will definitely try- they're going to have to do a price cut, and very soon.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Following on from Arkham Origins not getting online multiplayer on the WiiU, the WiiU version of Splinter Cell Blacklist will not be getting Offline co-op.

No, thats not a typo.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Zachack posted:

They likely have access to full NPD data which would provide them with a better notion of how bad it's doing. Leaked bits of info have pointed to terrible game sales outside of NSMBU but the extent of how terrible they are isn't fully known, and with full data they could see trends far better than most. A good example would be the data release from the UK's H1 2013: while the internet basically found out at once that the software sales were super-garbage, someone with monthly data reports would know that was coming.

Fair enough, but even NPD data like is something that can be obtained (not necessarily easily, but with some effort). My employer for example has a limited agreement that allows us to get some of that data, just not for game sales.

My overall point was just that Game Informers statement without any real evidence to back it up (and I mean actually citing sources, rather than saying "well we all think it so mine as well say it!")isn't really breaking any new ground or bringing up points that hasn't been made by those not in the industry and without some kind of sourced reporting, isn't necessarily true.

Then again, I guess that begs the question what the definition of a totally failed system is, and at what point you can safely declare a system a failure?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

What the actual gently caress. Nintendo's gonna do what they can, but with all these third party companies pulling support and cutting out features I don't think there's much they can do.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

Then again, I guess that begs the question what the definition of a totally failed system is, and at what point you can safely declare a system a failure?

A system can only fail if Jeff Minter releases a game on your console.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

They can partner with the publisher and dip into the warchest to pay for feature parity, that's what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Offline co op seems like the one thing that would actually work best on WiiU.

• Locked thread