Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Do we have to go with an established IP? Why not make The Kingdom of Zorvania: Totalen Krieg: Der Krieg Ist Totalen!™ and have all the elves, dwarves and giant mechs you want.

Giant mechs!!!
With total war engine!!!

Guys, we just found the 2020* GOTY
*May never happen due Sega don't want CA to step into another of their mecha IP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Total War developers should be demanding to make their own fantasy/sci-fi setting and making a game out of it. Because then Prometheus and his TWC colleagues would have no opportunity to "fact-check" your work, there would be no historical inaccuracies to correct and you could even make your main race black orks or whatever, and TWC would probably explode. It would be glorious.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Khagan posted:

So in the Hannibal trailer, would the other attacking options outlined by the Romans be viable for him?

I think the video description does say that it's trying to showcase how many options a player has when trying to outwit another faction, yeah.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Total War developers should be demanding to make their own fantasy/sci-fi setting and making a game out of it. Because then Prometheus and his TWC colleagues would have no opportunity to "fact-check" your work, there would be no historical inaccuracies to correct and you could even make your main race black orks or whatever, and TWC would probably explode. It would be glorious.

I guarantee you can find legions of nerds to fact check your Warhammer: Total War video game.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Torrannor posted:

at least until you create a sequel

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Vargs posted:

I guarantee you can find legions of nerds to fact check your Warhammer: Total War video game.

They'll probably fact check it more.

With contradictory material, of course, because it's Gamesworkshop.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I'm levelling up a general in Shogun 2 and I have to choose between a perk that gives +1 to command (all situations) and another +1 to morale (all units). What is the difference?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Good question. Does anyone actually know what command stars do? I always assumed it was the same as bonus morale.

Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Good question. Does anyone actually know what command stars do? I always assumed it was the same as bonus morale.

I always found troops under my 5 star general have better k/d ratio than with my 1 star general.

So stats too ?

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Command gives your general more pizzazz during pre-battle speeches.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Frijolero posted:

Command gives your general more pizzazz during pre-battle speeches.

In Shogun 2 I found the pre-battle speeches a little underwhelming. The Rome 2 one in the Egypt battle sounded pretty good but I imagine that was a fairly unique case, are we going to get a return of possibly bizarre and loopy speeches from insane, stupid or inbred Generals?

Or were they in Shogun 2 as well and I just ended up with mostly humorless and sensible Generals somehow?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Torrannor posted:

I loved Third Age: Total War. All complaining about factions having the same units would simply stop if you had humans, elves, dwarves and orks. Or they could invent their own new race. I really hope we will get a Warhammer: Total War, I just don't understand why there are so few fantasy/science fiction strategy games. Are they all afraid of Warcraft and Starcraft? You can have so many more strategical and tactical options if you are not constrained to a real world setting, I would think developers would appreciate that.

There are a lot of fantasy/sci fi strategy games out there, actually, but they're mostly designed by people who are more interested in just shoving in 'awesome' than bothering with things like balance. They add in more possibilities than historicals, but most of them are bad, kind of like Dominions 3's magic uber alles or Master of Magic's complete lack of internal balance.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

A General with 10 stars will do amazingly well in an auto-resolve.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Panzeh posted:

There are a lot of fantasy/sci fi strategy games out there, actually, but they're mostly designed by people who are more interested in just shoving in 'awesome' than bothering with things like balance. They add in more possibilities than historicals, but most of them are bad, kind of like Dominions 3's magic uber alles or Master of Magic's complete lack of internal balance.

Yes, I want a high quality game, why is it too much to ask? :cry:

Shogun 2 is actually a great starting point for a fantasy medieval game. Replace matchlocks with fireball slinging wizards. The recharge time is the mages waiting for their mana to regenerate, while the morale damage and friendly fire aspect are totally consistent with fireballs. And magical weapons/armor work better for the hero units than their explanation in-game.

I was bitterly disappointed the last years. I had high hopes for Sword of the Stars 2 after the first game was so fantastic, but... :negative:

Empire and Shogun 2 never got a mod that was as good as the Third Age mod, and only playing Starcraft is boring. Perhaps modding Rome 2 will be easier, alternatively I would accept a Warhammer Total War.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Torrannor posted:

Empire and Shogun 2 never got a mod that was as good as the Third Age mod, and only playing Starcraft is boring. Perhaps modding Rome 2 will be easier, alternatively I would accept a Warhammer Total War.

You're aware that CA picked up the right to develop a Warhammer Fantasy game, right?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
We don't know for sure that it'll be a Total War game, though :v:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Panzeh posted:

Dominions: Total War could be pretty awesome, though. At least they have a metric fuckton of unique factions.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Lord of the Rings without the terrible slowness fo Third Age, and with expansions for Silmarillion stuff is basically my TW Valhalla, and will never happen.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tomn posted:

You're aware that CA picked up the right to develop a Warhammer Fantasy game, right?

I do know, which is making me hope for it in the first place.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Lord of the Rings without the terrible slowness fo Third Age, and with expansions for Silmarillion stuff is basically my TW Valhalla, and will never happen.

If you play any evil factions, you could have the host of Valinor come in (but from the west of course) similar to the Golden Horde. I would be down for that.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

peer posted:

We don't know for sure that it'll be a Total War game, though :v:

Back when CA hadn't released all the R2 faction names they had a little thread where you could guess the next faction. Someone wrote "tomb kings" and spawned a five-page derail before the mods deleted the post and all subsequent ones.

It's coming, guys.

v: I have an erection right now and you're responsible :v:

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 5, 2013

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

Back when CA hadn't released all the R2 faction names they had a little thread where you could guess the next faction. Someone wrote "tomb kings" and spawned a five-page derail before the mods deleted the post and all subsequent ones.

It's coming, guys.

Oh, I can do better then that.

http://i.imgur.com/L5IHkdo.jpg

Someone spotted it in a Rally Point some months back.

I doubt they'd go to the trouble of making a new engine for it, (Though...probably they should.) which means that it's likely already in development.

madmac fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 5, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Grand Prize Winner posted:

It's coming, guys.

That'll be a pretty cool take on the usual experience system. For Tomb Kings and Vampire Counts, the army is its commander since usually the commander is the only sentient being in it. Even then, the former's experience level could likely be a buff for the whole army while the latter becomes more of a Jedi general as it levels up.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

madmac posted:

I doubt they'd go to the trouble of making a new engine for it, (Though...probably they should.) which means that it's likely already in development.

Why? The Rome/Shogun engine is cutting edge and can clearly handle everything from gunpowder to large (elephant) units. There's everything there you'd want to make a Warhammer Fantasy game.

They don't even need to re-imagine the game themes for it to make sense on the PC like Relic did with Dawn of War, Fantasy is all about regiments marching about on a battlefield.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Just a quick question, do they have the right to all Warhammer games? I thought they only had rights to Warhammer 40k?

And do we have any idea what bonus the wonders of the world are giving in Rome 2? If I remember correctly some were pretty overpowered in Rome 1.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
The other way around, they've only got the rights to Warhammer Fantasy.

Far as I know, anyway.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Torrannor posted:

If you play any evil factions, you could have the host of Valinor come in (but from the west of course) similar to the Golden Horde. I would be down for that.

Numenor vs Sauron would own as well.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Torrannor posted:

That's not really viable if I remember right. They swore they wouldn't show up again because the last time they did come in war, they broke the world. It's not an oath they can break, I think. That's why they sent the Wizards in the first place, to help without direct action. This is why it's so desperate in the first place; there are no outs like that coming if Sauron wins, which is looking real likely right now...

Now, if we're talking things like the First and Second Age, I'm with you. Who doesn't want to see Balrogs as foot troops/commanders?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

Why? The Rome/Shogun engine is cutting edge and can clearly handle everything from gunpowder to large (elephant) units. There's everything there you'd want to make a Warhammer Fantasy game.

They don't even need to re-imagine the game themes for it to make sense on the PC like Relic did with Dawn of War, Fantasy is all about regiments marching about on a battlefield.

I was thinking more things like magic and flyers but Warscape is probably flexible enough to handle it. It's a moot point anyways, judging from the screenshot I posted it's already a Warscape build in progress.

The real question is how long after Rome releases that they'll be able to start hyping Warhammer. They have a lot of experience with Warscape and are pushing Rome 2 out pretty fast, considering.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

madmac posted:

Oh, I can do better then that.

http://i.imgur.com/L5IHkdo.jpg

Someone spotted it in a Rally Point some months back.

Also appearing: "romulus." I'm totally rooting for some Star Trek: Total War now, if only to see their fanbase sperg over the improper placement of star systems in the galaxy.

FAKE_EDIT: Oh god, the more I think about it the more that could actually work if was set during the TNG era.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
A new Rome 2 themed character got added to Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed (great game by the way) today, Willemus, I assume based on Will from CA.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Epinephrine posted:

Also appearing: "romulus." I'm totally rooting for some Star Trek: Total War now, if only to see their fanbase sperg over the improper placement of star systems in the galaxy.

FAKE_EDIT: Oh god, the more I think about it the more that could actually work if was set during the TNG era.

Or, you know, the legendary founder of Rome.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

A new Rome 2 themed character got added to Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed (great game by the way) today, Willemus, I assume based on Will from CA.

I'm sure Chris Chan is pleased.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

canuckanese posted:

Or, you know, the legendary founder of Rome.
I was well aware of the primary definition; it plays into the joke.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Mouse over the provinces called Hellas and Asia on the campaign planner and you can see that they're available as mercenaries.

First time I've seen this, and Axum appears to be a minor faction. If that gets released as a DLC I'll be loving ecstatic.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

NwahNerevar posted:

First time I've seen this, and Axum appears to be a minor faction. If that gets released as a DLC I'll be loving ecstatic.

Axum would be great if only to watch the thousands upon thousands of people on TWC burst into flame.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Josef bugman posted:

Axum would be great if only to watch the thousands upon thousands of people on TWC burst into flame.

Actually I think you'll find Axumites, Nubians and Abyssinians were all pale ski- :smithicide: nope can't do it.

Makuria was interesting to play as in Broken Crescent, especially because of their position just outside what traditionally gets considered in the history books. That was something BC was consistently good at though. My experiences with Makuria would certainly make me want to purchase an Axum DLC if they released it.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Why does this guy have any kind of fame or recnogition Jesus gently caress he's the most annoying person i've seen in the internet.

I have yet to see about 60% of all the info about Rome II because that idiot forces me to press the red button on my browser.

Put Lusted in, he's an amazing fellow.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm sure he is a nice bloke in real life, but his internet personality is drat obnoxious veering towards slightly sad as he is aging.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I find him quite pleasant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I really hope they include a lot of the specialized units like Numidian light horseman for the Carthaginians. Man I am seriously hyped for this - haven't been as pumped for a game in years.