Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Baloogan posted:

The only thing class warfare could bring to Canada is chaos. Our rich would just move 100 miles south.
Do you promise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeeter Green
Aug 15, 2001

24 strings

Helsing posted:

Also, gotta love the banner ad I just saw for this thread:

"FACT: Wireless rates in Canada are typically lower than in the U.S."

:allears:

It's a bit misleading, but this claim isn't completely outrageous. Verizon charges $100 for a 2GB unlimited talk/text smartphone plan. AT&T charges $120 for a 3GB unlimited talk/text plan, but you can downgrade the minutes to 450/month and pay $90 for the same plan. T-Mobile charges "only" $95 for unlimited talk/text/data with a subsidized smartphone, but their coverage isn't as good. Sprint unlimited talk/text/data plans are $80 but their LTE coverage isn't up to par. The study that the claim above is based on compares "premium" carriers Verizon and AT&T with Bell, Telus and Rogers, and it's true that Robellus' rates are lower than Verizon and AT&T, but the study was also done when 3 year terms were the norm here. Rogers, Bell and Telus' plans are going up to mirror Verizon and AT&T's 2 year contract prices more closely due to the new CRTC Wireless Code.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Yeah, thanks for providing the details I was too lazy to. I generally view US and Canadian wireless prices as comaprable (that is, they're both awful) and the US gets inherent advantages due to economies of scale within similarly sized territories.

(but we have a thread for wireless bitching so I'll try not to derail further.)

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Vancouver Pride trip report: apparently it is more economical to use a thousand portable gas generators to power a block party than it would be to plug a 50' extension cord into one of the numerous buildings lining the street. I would have thought that readily available hydro would be cheaper but I guess the corporations know better. gently caress yo climate bitch, 420 smoke fossil fuels every day :clint:

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 6, 2013

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

And here is your two minutes hate, courtesy the Baron Black of Crossharbour

His Lordship posted:

The United States has never been an aggressive power.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

THC posted:

Vancouver Pride trip report: apparently it is more economical to use a thousand portable gas generators to power a block party than it would be to plug a 50' extension cord into one of the numerous buildings lining the street. I would have thought that readily available hydro would be cheaper but I guess the corporations know better. gently caress yo climate bitch, 420 smoke fossil fuels every day :clint:

In Calgary most lamp posts in areas that are designated for social gatherings have outlets on them.

Don't know how they refund the cost though I assume through permits. Fun to see when the tourists realize they can recharge their phones.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

THC posted:

I ran into this exact problem when working for a mobile concession that would go around to events. The answer is "liability and usage".

Liability: Say something like a fire or even just smoke damage happens to the building. Is the concession at fault? Do they have insurance to cover it? How long will it take their insurance company and the building owners insurance company take to reach an agreement? Whose rates go up?

Usage: Exactly how much electricity did the person plugging in use and is the building owner legally allowed to resell power?

It's easier just to have a couple of gas powered generators putting away in the background. For a city like Calgary they probably get prefered rates for electricity and the liability for the outlets is rolled into insurance they would otherwise have.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

They weren't so much 'putting away in the background' as 'roaring earsplittingly about 20 feet away from you at any given moment.' It was a lovely event. But yeah, I know, the stakeholders' liability must be guarded, common sense be damned. Anyone remember when Pride was a political demonstration and not a massive corporate shill-fest?

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 6, 2013

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

America has never been an aggressive [colonial] power? Tell that to the Philippines, Liberia, and just about any country directly south of them on the map. Seriously, gently caress that guy; I'm pretty happy he's not part of our country anymore.

Whiteycar posted:

In Calgary most lamp posts in areas that are designated for social gatherings have outlets on them.

Don't know how they refund the cost though I assume through permits. Fun to see when the tourists realize they can recharge their phones.

Seriously? I had no idea that was a thing. What are the areas that count as social gathering spots?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

PittTheElder posted:

America has never been an aggressive [colonial] power? Tell that to the Philippines, Liberia, and just about any country directly south of them on the map. Seriously, gently caress that guy; I'm pretty happy he's not part of our country anymore.

Seriously? I had no idea that was a thing. What are the areas that count as social gathering spots?

Anywhere you would see a tent for something during a festival.

4th street and Stephen avenue are the only ones I know of at the moment

Some around Eau Claire too.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

Dallan Invictus posted:

A lot of the time it is actually true, though?

(:ssh: this is not something to be proud of, US rates from the majors are also awful)

This is bullshit. US rates are high in a global sense but still not as high as Canada's. They also don't lock into contracts as long as Canadian ones.

On top of that, US Carriers don't nickel-and-dime you the way Rogers/Bell/Telus do. Voicemail, texting, and caller id are always included.

AND THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS DOMESTIC LONG DISTANCE. Seriously that is the most loving infuriating thing about Canada.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The fact that they charge extra for texting plans is the most idiotic thing. I imagine most everyone I know uses text functionality more than voice.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 26, 2013

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 2 hours!)

So how much am I scamming my company for a 4Gb data plan a month from Rogers? It's central billing; I roamed a week in Cuba in January and surfed like mad.

$100/mo?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Black is a really lovely historian. I hope he didn't quit his day job to write that drivel.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Baloogan posted:

I certainly don't want class warfare rhetoric coming out of political leadership.

The only thing class warfare could bring to Canada is chaos. Our rich would just move 100 miles south.

:ohdear: But then who will take a cut of our mineral exports and privatize our public infrastructure? :ohdear:

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Just a reminder that if you guys want to talk plans and pricing, as opposed to regulations, we have the Canadian Cellular Thread

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Reading that column made my week. Sometime, when you're feeling blue, all you need is to read a made up historical narrative that flips the facts 180. Oh Conrad, I'm so glad we got you back.

And the comment section! THE COMMENT SECTION!
:jiggled::jiggled::jiggled::jiggled::jiggled::jiggled::jiggled:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

DYING.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Username: DefinitelyNotLordBlack5

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The Post That Reads Like Amiel.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

The Cold War-era claim of the left, that Americans were malign imperialists, was always rubbish. Americans never cared a jot for overseas expansion. The United States could have taken over every square inch of the Americas if they had wished, and all they did was seize a chunk of Mexico that that country could not settle and didn’t really occupy (Texas, Arizona, California, etc.) — and that was 150 years ago.

Yup they totally could have conquered all of the Americas but just didn't feel like it. Did you just loving forget why Canada exists Mr Black?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ety2FEHQgwM

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

He is the Canadian Gingrich, a stupid man's idea of what a smart person sounds like. He uses big words but he is as dumb as a loving post.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

THC posted:

He is the Canadian Gingrich, a stupid man's idea of what a smart person sounds like. He uses big words but he is as dumb as a loving post.

And since his vitriol is available in most major Canadian cities, you could say he is a dumb, national post.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Username: DefinitelyNotLordBlack5

*tips lance*

His biography of Duplessis is really really bad.

THC posted:

He's also been paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to be a historian, an amount of money 99% of historians will never see. what bitter me? n-no...

Do we know if he really likes animals?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

Rutibex posted:

Yup they totally could have conquered all of the Americas but just didn't feel like it. Did you just loving forget why Canada exists Mr Black?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ety2FEHQgwM

Well, we don't exist because of 1812, but it helped. It was fears of American Annexation post civil-war when the north had a large, veteran army, and was kinda spoling for a fight.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Dreylad posted:

Do we know if he really likes animals?

Please enjoy this column written by Conrad Black about the time Conrad Black heroically rescued kittens. It features the photo caption "A picture of the two kittens that the Black family saved."

In the last paragraph of the columns, he says "I saved a life, unlike those abortionists and euthanasia advocates".

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 6, 2013

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
1812 did help define the border between BNA and the United States when before people living on either side didn't really think about their neighbours being from a different country.

The American Civil War is an interesting part of Canadian history, with tens of thousands of Canadians going to fight for the Confederacy, and Union and Confederate spies engaged in a covert war in Montreal and Quebec City.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Please enjoy this column written by Conrad Black about the time Conrad Black heroically rescued kittens. It features the photo caption "A picture of the two kittens that the Black family saved."

I'm becoming concerned that the National Post is Canada's Onion.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Pinterest Mom posted:

Never trust any Canadian who has been photographed with kittens.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

Yeah, cause they could be reptillian kitten eaters from outer space, and then they'll cancel gas plants.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

flakeloaf posted:

You're telling me I shouldn't trust myself.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

bunnyofdoom posted:

Well, we don't exist because of 1812, but it helped. It was fears of American Annexation post civil-war when the north had a large, veteran army, and was kinda spoling for a fight.

Well yeah there's more to it than that, I just like the song :v: The 200 year anniversary of the Sack of Washington is coming up next year; I don't know about you guys but we're planning a big party with little paper mache White Houses to burn in effigy :canada:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 6, 2013

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Rutibex posted:

Well yeah there's more to it than that, I just like the song :v: The 200 year anniversary of the Sac of Washington is coming up next year; I don't know about you guys but we're planning a big party with little paper mache White Houses to burn in effigy :canada:

I went to the 200th of Queenston heights, and this weekend was at the 200th of Sacket's Harbour, and in October I'm going to the 200th of Chatenguay, where I will bring a tree stump to stand upon.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pinterest Mom posted:

In the last paragraph of the columns, he says "I saved a life, unlike those abortionists and euthanasia advocates".

hahahahaha this is loving amazing:

quote:

A thin cat, not more than a year old, miraculously produced four kittens and hid them in a very ingenious place under a great deal of thick shrubbery at a basement level corner in the side of our house, only about 20 feet from a ravine, and near a heat exchanger for the air conditioning system, the whirr of which generally obscured the mewing of the kittens. But as they are outside my library window, I saw the mother cat sitting on the stone wall above the den, ears constantly turning at every sound like miniature radars, on guard for any intruders and ready to move on behalf of her kittens.

Yes, this is really starting off well...

quote:

Because we have several hundred feet of frontage on a ravine, there is a considerable movement of wildlife around us, despite a double fence, one for security along the property line and the other at the top of the ravine to restrain my wife’s formidable white kuvaszok dogs, large and swift and splendid. They are very affectionate with those they know, and friendly when not defending their own territory, but must be approached at home with extreme caution by strangers.

This is a great way to connect with your audience! Don't we all have trouble restraining our white kuvaszok dogs from eviscerating strangers crossing our several hundred feet of ravine frontage protected by double fences!

quote:

After gardeners discovered the litter, they alerted Barbara, who assumed her Gertrude Jekyll outfit of Wellington boots, hoodie and gardening gloves, traipsing around feeding the nursing mother. We knew a female feral cat would be best off captured, spayed and returned to the ravine, but not before she was given a chance to teach life’s basics to her kittens.
Another kitten was adopted by our gardener.

Oh, so you didn't actually discover these kittens yourself, but your gardener(s) did?

quote:

We did not supplement the marooned kitten’s food on advice from this expert that only famine would get a feral cat, even a kitten, to avail itself of an escape provided by humans.

By this time, our whole household was in a state of moral crisis and an astonishing level of concern and tension prevailed over the fate of this approximately six-week old kitten, who had now been down the pipe for four days.

Barbara and Don, who works with us here, were losing sleep over this strangely affecting saga, and while I was not quite as engaged as that, it was disturbing.

Well, I was kind of disturbed about an animal literally starving to death right beside my house, but I wasn't about to go lose any sleep over it!

quote:

I had already alerted our versatile gardeners that we might need to dig the kitten out and three hardy men arrived promptly and shovel-ready: Geoff, Cory, and Chris. After three hours they had unearthed the pipe, broke into it behind the cat and put down food. She, as she turned out to be, gobbled it up with pent-up enthusiasm. Off the spunky little survivor went to our veterinarian, where the staff of The Animal Clinic was waiting like the trauma team at George Washington University Hospital on the day Ronald Reagan was shot.

Note carefully that Conrad didn't actually do a goddamn thing other than insert an entirely unnecessary reference to the Reagan assassination attempt.

quote:

It has been a microcosm, a sharp reminder of the fragility of life, as well as its mystical allure and unconquerable spirit. It may be illogical, but less than ever do I understand the mind of the abortionist, the executioner, and (though it is more comprehensible) the euthanasia advocate, and even of some hunters and casual fishers. It was exhilarating for all of us to save these little kittens, who, as Don will soon be reminded, are so stubborn, so strong of voice, and so tenacious of life. As my Scottish ancestors used to say, the world, and God Himself, “love a bonny fighter.”

Where's that vomit smiley vomiting other smaller vomit smileys when you need it?

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 6, 2013

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I couldn't find it but this encapsulates my feelings pretty nicely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKqGXeX9LhQ

Pinterest Mom posted:

I wonder if, say, one of the Baron's prized kuvaszoks had a massive inoperable tumour, would he euthanize it? Or would he spend tens of thousands of dollars prolonging the animal's misery as God intended?

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 6, 2013

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

eXXon posted:

Black is a really lovely historian. I hope he didn't quit his day job to write that drivel.

My guess is that this is part of his strategy to get a presidential pardon, similar to the way he angled for his knighthood.

At least I hope this is just a blatant example of American cock-smoking, cause if it's an actual attempt at historical analysis... :wtc:

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Hexigrammus posted:

My guess is that this is part of his strategy to get a presidential pardon, similar to the way he angled for his knighthood.

At least I hope this is just a blatant example of American cock-smoking, cause if it's an actual attempt at historical analysis... :wtc:

No, you see, since America did not literally have legions putting down local tribes like the Romans, they don't count as an empire.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

In mostly local but still political news, the chair of the Toronto Police Services Board wants Toronto Police to keep track of doorings... again:

quote:

The chair of the Toronto Police Services Board wants the force to track how many cyclists are “doored” by parked cars, a much-feared accident that police stopped recording last year.

In a report written after the Star published an article on the issue, board chair Alok Mukherjee questions why cyclists struck by open car doors are not recorded in the force’s accident database.

Between 2007 and 2011, an average of 144 doorings per year were reported in Toronto.

But police stopped tracking them in 2012 after new provincial guidelines defined a collision as involving a vehicle in “motion.” A stationary car opening its door would therefore not count. :wtc:

In June, police traffic services spokesman Const. Clint Stibbe dismissed the idea of tracking dooring.

“If you said how many days a week is it sunny, we’re not going to track that,” Stibbe said, adding the force had no intention of recording such collisions. (even though they had been doing it for who knows how long until just last year :wtc:)

I was wondering what the gently caress the first bolded part is supposed to mean, since bicycles are most certainly vehicles. The first Star article linked there clarifies:

quote:

The Toronto, York Region and Waterloo police all define a collision as “the contact resulting from the motion of a motor vehicle or streetcar or its load that produces property damage, injury, or death.”

Okay... that's still somewhat contradictory, since the first article claimed it was a provincial guideline that resulted in this change, and as far as I know the Ontario Highway Traffic Act considers bicycles as vehicles, whether they're motorized or not. That lovely quote by Const. Clint Stibbe appears in both articles and is a remarkable example of how callous people - even police - can be about serious injuries to bicyclists because eh whatever get off the road or something.

Anyway, whoever happens to be at fault, this is a spectacularly stupid failure of public policy and entirely appropriate for Toronto/Ontario.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Rutibex posted:

Well yeah there's more to it than that, I just like the song :v: The 200 year anniversary of the Sack of Washington is coming up next year; I don't know about you guys but we're planning a big party with little paper mache White Houses to burn in effigy :canada:
Do the world a favour and tip off Fox News so that they can report on it and drive the Right absolutely loony.
If you play your cards right, maybe you can get some junior congressman to propose a boycott of Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

http://www.thewhig.com/2013/08/02/why-tim-hudak-was-the-real-winner-thursday-night

I was going to post some choice quotes but... :stare:

Do they take interns from junior high school at Sun Media now or something? I'd be horrified to learn this writer has a university education.

... and just to remind everyone, Tim Hudak was such a winner after last Thursday's by-elections that the knives are already coming out for him. That was fast!

quote:

Ten Progressive Conservatives from London, Ont. submitted a motion Tuesday to the Ontario PC Party asking for the constitution to be amended to allow for a leadership review. Among those who signed is former London-Fanshawe candidate Cheryl Miller, who ran for the Tories in 2011.

The effort to dump the 45-year-old Hudak builds on a growing undercurrent of dismay with his leadership since the party’s poor performance in the 2011 provincial vote and after losing Kitchener-Waterloo to the NDP in a byelection last year.

The motion, which is on the heels of Tories losing four out of five byelections on Aug. 1 including London West, could be presented at the party convention in London from Sept. 20-22. But a party spokesman dismissed its chances of going anywhere. The party constitution now requires a leadership review only after failing to win a provincial election.

“It’s an internal stunt, a small group of individuals are showing their disappointment in the outcome of the London byelection specifically,” Alan Sakach told the Star.

Sakach explained the party’s constitutional committee will determine if the motion even goes to convention. And if its does, a constitutional change like this requires two-thirds delegate support.
Video

“What is disappointing is that these folks are letting their own self-interest get in the way . . . they are really just being patsies in helping the Liberals,” Sakach said, adding that he has not heard of this kind of motion being presented before.

“This is the behaviour that has kept us out of power for three elections.”

When asked the chances of this revolt getting off the ground, Sakach said, “absolutely none.”

Regardless of whether this succeeds or not (it probably won't), this is great news for anybody but conservatives.

• Locked thread